Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Medieval villages/communities today?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
eri555 View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Online Status: Offline
  Quote eri555 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Medieval villages/communities today?
    Posted: 12-Oct-2011 at 16:13
I saw a documentary about a place called "cosmeston medieval village", it's a village that looks just like a real village in the middle ages.
But it's only an exhibition, no people really live there.
I was wondering if there are REAL communities that live by the old life style of the middle ages today?
I mean communities like the Amish...
Centrix Vigilis View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Quote Centrix Vigilis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Oct-2011 at 16:23
Not entirely. There are/were however many small communities in the Saarland and the Languedoc regions that not only retained characteristics of medieval life but an appearance as well. It really depends on the specificity of what you are looking for.

Want to see medieval style housing and streets? Farming procedures with workers wear old fashion dress then go to the above or elsewhere...You could see it, in varying facets, in the tulip fields of Holland along the shores of the old Zuider Zee. The herring fishing grounds to the west of Aalborg. And walking along a farm road in Chester.

Edited by Centrix Vigilis - 12-Oct-2011 at 16:23
"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"

S. T. Friedman

Pilger's law: 'If it's been officially denied, then it's probably true'

Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Oct-2011 at 08:52
You're barred from this establishment spambot
Nick, chief bouncer and troll slayer
Me Grimlock not nice Dino! Me bash brains!
Emperor
Emperor

Quote Centrix Vigilis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Oct-2011 at 18:32
The post is deleted...for multiple violations. To include  placing it in the wrong subforum....placing a non English advertisement in the wrong subforum and with out permission and as the Chief bouncer and Mighty Troll slayer has identified.... for spam.

He never sleeps spambots. So peddle your dung elsewhere. 

S. T. Friedman

Emperor
Emperor

Quote Centrix Vigilis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Oct-2011 at 18:34
An interesting and entertaining site.

S. T. Friedman

Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Oct-2011 at 19:06

In England they've reconstructed a medieval village at Kentwell hall. Every summer volunteers dress and live like their 16th century ancestors, from the peasant tilling the land to the apothecary making potions. All the buildings were constructed the traditional way by Kentwell's inhabitants over a period of 20 years. You even have to buy replica Tudor coins if you want to buy souvenirs or try the beer and food
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Feb-2012 at 19:27
Highly recommended for any of you considering a visit to Merry England:
Tudor recreations at Kentwell
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Feb-2012 at 19:15
I've also heard there's a reconstructed Saxon village in Norfolk, though i've never been there
West Stow
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Feb-2012 at 19:36
One medieval village i have been to is Stansted Mountfitchet, the only reconstructed Norman castle in Britain. It also serves as a sanctuary for rescued chickens, goats and deer

Rhyfelwr Morgannwg View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote Rhyfelwr Morgannwg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Jun-2012 at 20:41
Funny i came across this post, i actually live next to cosmeston (well about 5 min drive), its simply a very good recreation of a medieval village! it's good fun to visit, I even applied for a job there once
'mwynder morgannwg' -

The gentleness of Glamorgan.

Gwlad dan gaead yn gywair,
wyth ryw yd a thri o wair
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Jun-2012 at 21:03
Welcome Rhyfelwr.Smile Can you tell us more about this village?
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote Rhyfelwr Morgannwg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Oct-2012 at 17:28
Hi! sorry for the late reply!

Yes I can tell you more about the village, It is located just out side of the town Penarth, which is itself just outside of Cardiff. Remains of the village were found in good condition and it is a bit of a mystery as to why the village was completely abandoned, although there are several good theories. The village is open to the public whenever they wish to go, it is basically a collection of various medieval builidings and structures in working order. Usually it is empty with little there but the structures, however in the summer there are often events held in the village - these include actors talking to visitors and teaching them about local medieval life, medieval themed activities and even jousts etc, so it is nice to visit especially when an event is held!

The village is next to Cosmeston Lakes, which is as well a nice place to visit and walk around

Hope I have provided enough info!! if you want to know anything more about it I can tell you, or there is info online about it etc
'mwynder morgannwg' -

Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Oct-2012 at 08:29
Rhyfelwr Morgannwg, can we see some photos of this village please? I went to Wales eight years ago but this is the first time i've heard of it
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote Rhyfelwr Morgannwg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Oct-2012 at 20:46
Of Course! The area is near to my house as I said before, about 45 min walk, this is in the Vale of Glamorgan, the most Southerly area of Wales. Where did you visit?
Below are a mixture of images from the village. As I said, during some days where they hold events it will be busy with a lot to do there (mostly people from various re-enactment groups hosting the activities), but otherwise it is empty of activity but you are still able to walk around at your own leisure. No one actually lives there now, the buildings and grounds are maintained by the local council. I applied for a job there a few years back but heard no reply.
Similarly, Cardiff Castle holds the same sort of medieval themed activities on certain days, which is always fun to go to

http://www.therantastic.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/village01_446.jpg

(the above picture depicts a scene of one of the days out held at the village, with re-enactors performing a battle for the public)

'mwynder morgannwg' -

Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote Rhyfelwr Morgannwg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Oct-2012 at 21:04
Oops looks like it wont let me post the picture of the battle for some reason, sorry, but theres plently of pictures available on google

Edited by Rhyfelwr Morgannwg - 14-Oct-2012 at 21:08
'mwynder morgannwg' -

Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Oct-2012 at 08:32
Looks interesting. I'm impressed by the village's sizeSmile
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote Rhyfelwr Morgannwg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Oct-2012 at 11:47
yes it is a decent size! And a great place to go for a day out, expecially if something is happening there!
'mwynder morgannwg' -

Toltec View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Shape Shifter

Quote Toltec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Oct-2012 at 14:32
The OP asked for real medieval communities rather than re enactments. I suppose the Amish in the US are the closest, though not strictly medieval, then again I'm sure some places in north Wales may count.
Stupidity got us into this mess, why can't it get us out?

History Planet Website
<br /
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Oct-2012 at 09:44
Toltec, there are places in rural Eastern Europe that haven't changed for centuries. The peasants still drive donkey-carts, wear birch bark shoes, and live in houses they built themselves
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote Rhyfelwr Morgannwg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Oct-2012 at 07:11
No where in North Wales would count anymore, there used to be one place but that died out many years ago. The contradiction of posting this question on a website, would be that if there was a real life medieval community then no one from there would have a computer, let alone internet access. The only way to find out if there is a community like that would be via communication (in some form) with others who might have actually seen it themselves or heard of it directly. The only real life place that I can think of which is remotely like a medieval community is 'tipi valley' in Carmarthenshire. The people of this place live in tipi's in a traditional and ecological style of life, but not specifically 'medieval' as far as I am aware. Apart from this there are various other places which allow you to live in rural houses/cottages, and provide you with bed and food in return for work on the land or various other jobs, you will see a good list of them on this website, if you follow the link bellow

http://www.diggersanddreamers.org.uk/index.php?one=dat&two=dat
'mwynder morgannwg' -

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>