Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedNew Server - need your help.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Northman View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: New Server - need your help.
    Posted: 22-Sep-2007 at 07:30

Problems with this forum
While using this forum, there are a few problems we have been experiencing and not being able to solve. I believe the problems is related to the server (host) we are using, and they have not been able to help us overcome mainly two problems.

The issues on this server is first and formost speed - and then the "max_user_connection" message which pops up from time to time.
Maybe the two are connected.

The speed.
The current forum runs smoothly, but randomly it can "hang" or lag - specially when posting (writing to the database). Its very annoying.

The max user connections
This is a server setting, only allowing a certain number of user accessing the database at the same time.
Since we are on a shared service, we have to share that setting with other customers and in times with high traffic, the message is displayed when the total number of connections is reached and we can't use the forum for a minute or two.
Also very annoying when it happens.

I have reason to believe that our current host is trying to squeeze as many customers (typically 4-500) as possible on each server, limiting permissions for each customer to an absolute minimum. This might be fine for normal websites, but not for forums.  

Possible solution
In an attempt to solve these issues, we have signed up with another hosting service who is specialized in hosting forums, notably and in particular WebWhiz forums, the software we are using.

The buttom line.

Maybe the above is mumbo jumbo to you, and thats fine too - but the bottom line is....

I will ask YOU, the membership, to help testing that new server before we make any conclusive decisions. The new service is more expensive, so we really need some good indications before we make the final step.

I have made a "mirror" of this forum on the new server  and I will ask you to go there, play around, test, post, upload - in other words, find out how you think that forum is performing, and post your opinion in this thread - positive OR negative.

Just remember - anything posted there is ONLY FOR TESTING.
It will be erased again
Beware - it looks exactly like this forum, so don't get confused about where you are. 

Thanks for your cooperation - I'm looking forward to hear your opinion.

~ Northman

The move has been made - topic closed.

Edited by Northman - 25-Sep-2007 at 09:42
ulrich von hutten View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Court Jester

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Sep-2007 at 09:08
like to help you, but can't reach this page again, after being connected for a while and tried to post something.

Northman View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Sep-2007 at 09:17
Try again Ulrich - must be at your end - the site is there.

Knights View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
suspended

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Sep-2007 at 09:37
I have explored the mirror site a bit, and posted and uploaded. There is nothing wrong with the speed - it's absolutely breakneck. This was the case with the post and the upload. I have nothing negative to say yet, but I'll continue on my exploration.
malizai_ View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Alcinous

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Sep-2007 at 09:58
Only three users active and no one watching, it is bound to be quick, which it is. "Breakneck", as knights put it. So far speed seems finbe.

Error
You do not have permission to post new topics in this forum

Return to the Discussion Forum
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++

The speed problem on the current server may be down to two things: the server CPU running multiple threads at close to 100% processing along with standard cooling.-->insufficient cooling. Even if the Server max temp threshold is not reached, getting close to it would seriously effect performance momentarily. Memory and bandwith are not serious issues these days.

Maybe the load balancing is not adequately configured.

More open connections--> more sockets--> more processing-->more heating--> more lags, glitches.

Just a thought.

Northman View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Sep-2007 at 10:01
Originally posted by malizai_

Only three users active and no one watching, it is bound to be quick, which it is. "Breakneck", as knights put it. So far speed seems finbe.

Error
You do not have permission to post new topics in this forum

Return to the Discussion Forum
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I think you were in the Announcement forum - members cannot post there  Malizai.
Seko View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Spammer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Sep-2007 at 10:12
Today's testing was much better than yesterdays for me. So far so good. If this remains with more users on then we will be happy campers.
Knights View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
suspended

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Sep-2007 at 10:13
Indeed. The thing that will really allow us to determine the true speed of the server is when a good deal of users are active.
rider View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Sep-2007 at 16:04
Not faster to me... I don't know... it seems that the only thing that works fine on my computer is the vBulletin... 
Aelfgifu View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Sep-2007 at 16:15
The thing that will really allow us to determine the true speed of the server is when a good deal of users are active.

But this server is slow even when there are only a few people online. As I understand it, the max_user_connection prevents the forum form having more than say about 15 members online at any one time, because as I understand it, the max_user_connection error is very much dependent on numbers of visitors of other sites on the same server, not just visistors of AE.

Although I must say that the last month or so, the error that has been dominant is the number 500, not the max user. Fortunately, the number 500 is a lot less of a problem, as posts get loaded anyway, and little seems lost because of it.

Well, I must say, the other one worked a lot smoother to me. It loaded posts in fractions of seconds, whereas here, in general it takes minutes to get a thread to open, let alone post in them... I tend to have either a book or the discovery channel on hand when I go online, to get me through the waiting times....Ermm

Edited by Aelfgifu - 22-Sep-2007 at 16:17

Women hold their councils of war in kitchens: the knives are there, and the cups of coffee, and the towels to dry the tears.
rider View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Sep-2007 at 19:05
I retried this one here.

It actually got a few pages open more quickly than usual though the speed boost wasn't as good as it could be and I didn't use AE in tabs as I usually do for quicker browsing (some three-four windows open...) So, I bet the overall results are rather same still.
Northman View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Sep-2007 at 05:27
Thanks to those why tried out the new server and yes - we cannot know the final answer until its tested on a daily basis by normal use from all members.

Still, it would be great if more members would check it out and give their opinion.
Go HERE and let us know what you think.

PS Rider,
I have a feeling your problems can be classified under "error code 20"

Suren View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Chieftain

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Sep-2007 at 05:42
I can't post pix here and even in that Mirror.Unhappy
Knights View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
suspended

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Sep-2007 at 07:54
Uploaded images, or ones from the net, Suren?
South View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Sep-2007 at 09:29
In re the test of the Mirror Forum;

Good morning Northman,

I just tried to post something at the mirror site re comparing the SST with the B747.  I got the "You Cannot", You CANNOT, You CANNOT"

I'm new here to the formal site but can still post other than participate in some matters such as polls.

Mentioning all above for tech evaluation purposes.

I was on the Soviet SST (on ground; it crashed the next day) at the 1973 Paris Air Show (Can't spell LaBog....airport.)

Saluations,
South
Chilbudios View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Sep-2007 at 09:45
I have not yet tried posting only forum searches and apparently they work faster on the new site.
Northman View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Sep-2007 at 09:50
Sounds weird South - are you sure you were logged in? 
South View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Sep-2007 at 11:25
Good afternoon Northman,

I am not sure if I was logged in.  I recall clicking on the mirror site and attempting a post as if still at this original, non-mirror site.

Will continue testing.

South
rider View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Sep-2007 at 12:39
What's the 'Error Code 20'?
Northman View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Sep-2007 at 12:51
Originally posted by rider

What's the 'Error Code 20'?

Take a ruler - measure approximately 20 inches perpendicular out from the center of your screen - and you know the source for the error... WinkWink LOL

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>