Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Husbands can use wives' surnames

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
morticia View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired AE Editor

Online Status: Offline
  Quote morticia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Husbands can use wives' surnames
    Posted: 18-May-2007 at 14:35
In California, under legislation approved on May 7th, 2007, men will be granted the same rights to change their surnames as women do. Normally in California, when a couple gets married, the bride signs a marriage certificate to take her husbands surname, but the groom could not do so in violation of the equal protection clause of the 14th Amendment.   The new legislation now ...allows married and domestic partners/couples to choose the last name of their choosing, said the bills author, Fiona Ma of San Francisco, who is the Democratic Assemblywoman. So now, men can take their wives surnames and vice versa. Now thats equality!

Source:   http://english.pravda.ru/news/world/08-05-2007/91097-california-0
"Morty

Trust in God: She will provide." -- Emmeline Pankhurst
Maharbbal View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Maharbbal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-May-2007 at 19:11
I'd be interested to know how it turns out. Husbands have the right to take their wife's name in France since 1998 and little more than 100 did...
I am a free donkey!
Dan Carkner View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Dan Carkner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-May-2007 at 22:39
Sometimes I wonder if I would take my wife's name, if it really was better than mine ;)   I can't decide if it would be unfair to my somewhat obscure family name though.
Penelope View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Alia Atreides

Quote Penelope Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-May-2007 at 00:06
Originally posted by morticia

In California, under legislation approved on May 7th, 2007, men will be granted the same rights to change their surnames as women do. Normally in California, when a couple gets married, the bride signs a marriage certificate to take her husbands surname, but the groom could not do so in violation of the equal protection clause of the 14th Amendment.   The new legislation now ...allows married and domestic partners/couples to choose the last name of their choosing, said the bills author, Fiona Ma of San Francisco, who is the Democratic Assemblywoman. So now, men can take their wives surnames and vice versa. Now thats equality!

GOOD! My last name ROCKS. I am definately going to make sure that my future husband takes my last name.Clap
Knights View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
suspended

Quote Knights Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-May-2007 at 00:09
I like my last name...It'd be hard to find find a girl with a better one, but who knows? Smile
Penelope View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Alia Atreides

Quote Penelope Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-May-2007 at 00:38
Originally posted by Knights

I like my last name...It'd be hard to find find a girl with a better one, but who knows? Smile

I think a guy shouldnt have a choice, but to except her name, if he truely Loves her. Embarrassed
Melisende View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Melisende Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-May-2007 at 03:09

I believe, in some circumstances, men did take their wives surnames in medieval times.  However, this occurred when the only heir to a title was a female (no surviving male heir), and so rather than the title dying out, the husband took his wife's name.

"For my part, I adhere to the maxim of antiquity: The throne is a glorious sepulchre."
Knights View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
suspended

Quote Knights Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-May-2007 at 03:47
Originally posted by Penelope

Originally posted by Knights

I think a guy shouldnt have a choice, but to except her name, if he truely Loves her. Embarrassed

Yes Smile They should decide together though - nothing compulsory. I mean, sometimes the guy might not like his last name (My friend's schoolmate was called Lucas Laboutas or something...), so they should every right to take up their beloved wife's/wife to be's last name.
Omar al Hashim View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote Omar al Hashim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-May-2007 at 04:08
Wow, I would've thought you'd have been able to do this a long time before the 7th of May.

The Imam of our local Mosque took his wifes name when he married. That was probably something like 30-35 years ago and back in Palestine. Which is kinda odd actually, since in Arab culture neither spouse takes the name of the other.

Edited by Omar al Hashim - 19-May-2007 at 04:08
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-May-2007 at 07:47

Women never take last names here. My mothers is still hers.

Whats the big deal?

Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Quote Zagros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-May-2007 at 07:58

I am going to make my wife to take my name, just so she NEVER forgets to whom she belongs. Oh yeah.  

Just kidding.
Paul View Drop Down
General
General
AE Immoderator

Quote Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-May-2007 at 08:47
It will never work...

Why on earth does anyone want to stick to one surname or their real surname for their lives. Causes all kinds of problems.

I just stick to giving each and every different bank, contract, address ect a different made up one. Served me well over the years.

Light blue touch paper and stand well back

http://www.maquahuitl.co.uk

http://www.toltecitztli.co.uk
Aelfgifu View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Aelfgifu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-May-2007 at 06:19
Here it is normal for women to add their husbands name to the front of their own, so that all married women have double last names. Sometimes this gives odd results as the woman called 'on top' who married a man named 'Flat'... Smile

In daily life, a woman can choose which name she uses, her own, her husbands or always both. Most choose the last. It is also possible to give children the last name of the mother, if the parents decide so, but if the oldest child gets the mothers name, all her following children have to do so as well.

But I do not know if it is possible for a man to oficially take his wife's name without doing an official name-change... I think it is only normally done when the womans familyname is very rare and/or going extinct else...

Women hold their councils of war in kitchens: the knives are there, and the cups of coffee, and the towels to dry the tears.
Emilia View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote Emilia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-May-2007 at 20:41
In Poland a man can take his wife's surname if they agree to do so.  My stepmother, who is Polish, says her ex-husband took on her name, as did their two children.  I am not sure however if this is a common practice or not.

In Anglo-Saxon countries, it seems to be more and more common for women to keep their maiden names or add their husband's to their own and to give their children a hyphenated name.  Which might cause problems when these children in turn marry and decide what last name(s) to give their own kids...

Seriously, though, I like this trend, and should I ever marry, I would probably keep my own name.  But maybe just for convention's sake I would have the children take my husband's.
Emilia
JanusRook View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Ad Maiorem Dei Gloriam

Quote JanusRook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-May-2007 at 02:05

I think a guy shouldnt have a choice, but to except her name, if he truely Loves her.

Clap Let's hear it for equality of the sexes. Thumbs%20Down

Here it is normal for women to add their husbands name to the front of their own, so that all married women have double last names.

God! I have always hated that, hyphenated names are so stupid.

--------------------------------------------

Personally I don't really care either way whether a woman takes my last name or not. I do think that my children should have my last name since it is one of the ways a man claims his children as legitimately his.
Economic Communist, Political Progressive, Social Conservative.

Unless otherwise noted source is wiki.
Aelfgifu View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Aelfgifu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-May-2007 at 03:44
LOL You might hat it Janus, but there is little choice: double names is what women get by law, unless they take specific action not too, which most dont. I think it is a good thing myself. I see no reason to just give up my own name because I marry, like in Anglo-Saxon countries. That is real stupid. Like the life before marriage is suddenly irrelevant.

Women hold their councils of war in kitchens: the knives are there, and the cups of coffee, and the towels to dry the tears.
Reginmund View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Reginmund Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-May-2007 at 06:42
Well, the common practice here is that the women adopts the husband's surname, unless they go out of their way to do it the other way around this happens automatically. For my own part it would be depend on what kind of surname she had. My surname is very common and therefore very boring, if she had a rarer name I'd be happy to adopt it.
heikstheo View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote heikstheo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-May-2007 at 05:40
Originally posted by JanusRook

I think a guy shouldnt have a choice, but to except her name, if he truely Loves her.

Clap Let's hear it for equality of the sexes. Thumbs%20Down

Here it is normal for women to add their husbands name to the front of their own, so that all married women have double last names.

God! I have always hated that, hyphenated names are so stupid.

--------------------------------------------

Personally I don't really care either way whether a woman takes my last name or not. I do think that my children should have my last name since it is one of the ways a man claims his children as legitimately his.
So, how well do hyphenated last names work? Suppose you are born with one last name. And your spouse is born with one last name. And you both take a hyphenated last name at marriage. And so your kids are born with two last names. And they marry spouses with two last names. Hpw many last names are your grandkids born with?  
Ted Heiks
BA, History & Political Science, Western State College of Colorado, 1984
heikstheo View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote heikstheo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-May-2007 at 05:43
Originally posted by Dan Carkner

Sometimes I wonder if I would take my wife's name, if it really was better than mine ;)   I can't decide if it would be unfair to my somewhat obscure family name though.
I was married once, for all of about half a year. Had I taken my wife's last name, I'd be Teddy Bear. My now ex-wife didn't like that idea, though.
Ted Heiks
heikstheo View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote heikstheo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-May-2007 at 05:48
Originally posted by morticia

There is precedent for this in the Bible. When King David (then still a shepherd) married Princess Michal (the daughter of King Saul), it was a metric marriage, meaning that the children of such a marriage would be considered to belong to the mother's family, i.e., they were part of the house of Saul, not the house of Jesse. As that story continues, when David goes into exile, King Saul forces a divorce and marries his daughter off to Palti. After the death of Saul, David comes out of exile and re-marries Michal.
Ted Heiks
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>