Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Most horrible Yugoslav war

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Poll Question: Which Yugoslav war was the most horrible
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
2 [9.09%]
18 [81.82%]
1 [4.55%]
1 [4.55%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Yugoslav View Drop Down
General
General

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Yugoslav Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Most horrible Yugoslav war
    Posted: 05-Apr-2007 at 17:01
Voice your opinion. 
"I know not with what weapons World War 3 will be fought, but World War 4 will be fought with sticks and stones."
Dan Carkner View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Dan Carkner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Apr-2007 at 19:16
Difficult to say.  I voted Kosovo because it seems to me that they ended up with less than anyone else, but there are other ways of measuring how "bad" a war is. (Or, maybe there's no way.)
Yugoslav View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Yugoslav Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Apr-2007 at 19:59
Yeah; all wars are bad. But we should scale how destructive they were (e.g. WWII was much more horrible than WWI), but only when we do such things, and not in the purpose of producing stereotype. We can say "WWII was much more horrifying than WWI", but we should never ever say "WWI was much better than WWII", to avoid all confusion.

What do You mean by "they ended up with less than anyone else"? I think You mis-typed (the sentence doesn't make much sense)... or am I just stupid? ;)
"I know not with what weapons World War 3 will be fought, but World War 4 will be fought with sticks and stones."
Leonidas View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote Leonidas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Apr-2007 at 00:47
Bosnia was the longest and most brutal.

Kosovo inst really over yet, the fight is still being fought in the halls of the UN.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Apr-2007 at 00:58
Bosnia was the longest and most brutal one definitely, having lived there during much of the early years of the war, I do have a bias toward saying that. Nevertheless, looking at it with neutrality, number wise, and the sheer extend of destruction, relocation of peoples, deaths,.. it has to be.
Suren View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Chieftain

Quote Suren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Apr-2007 at 01:59
Bosnia.
Anfører
Baron
Baron

Quote Dan Carkner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Apr-2007 at 12:18
I meant what I wrote, I just meant that in spite of the brutal war it seems that bosnia still has a pretty advanced infrastructure, I'd have to see Kosovo but from what I understand the participants in that war are left in much deeper poverty.
Yugoslav View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Yugoslav Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Apr-2007 at 20:22
Originally posted by Dan Carkner

I meant what I wrote, I just meant that in spite of the brutal war it seems that bosnia still has a pretty advanced infrastructure, I'd have to see Kosovo but from what I understand the participants in that war are left in much deeper poverty.

Well that's because the participants were in a lot of poverty before the war. LOL

BTW over 100,000 people died in Bosnia (some say totally 300k+ missing); casualties in the Kosovo War were 11,000-12,000.
Yugoslav View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Yugoslav Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Apr-2007 at 20:30
Wait a minute... I put the NATO Bombing campaign just because I wanted to put ALL the wars... somebody actually voted for it??!?!?! 
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Apr-2007 at 23:41
Originally posted by Yugoslav

Originally posted by Dan Carkner

Well that's because the participants were in a lot of poverty before the war. LOL

BTW over 100,000 people died in Bosnia (some say totally 300k+ missing); casualties in the Kosovo War were 11,000-12,000.

Not to mention mostly civilian casulties. On the Bosnian Muslim side for example about 69-70% of the casulities were civilian, and they over half of the total number of casulties. I would definetly say the Bosnian war was the worst and most devastating, alongside the Croatian one as a second place. Kosovo did not have a infrastructure to begin with, that region had traditionally been rather underdeveloped, hence the large influx of Kosovar workers throughout the rest of Jugoslavija.
Baron
Baron

Quote Dan Carkner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Apr-2007 at 00:28
You're right, I shouldn't use underdevelopment as a factor in the war, since it would have been there with or without a war.  It's like saying a war in africa would automatically end worse than one in europe simply because there is less development.. probably foolish thinking.
Pjetr Liosha View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote Pjetr Liosha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Apr-2007 at 04:48

Bosnia, definetely. First and foremost, if we take into account the number of civilian casualties, refugees and overall destruction, Bosnia takes the lead. Some people claim that a quarteer of a million died, whereas others claim the number of 100,000 victims. Regardless of which, we're dealing with a tragedy indeed.

Kosovo may have been poor even prior to the outbreak of the war, but, it doesn't change the fact that the war still brought immense destruction, leveling villages and even cities with the ground (only Prishtina, the capital, was spared). Some 10,000 people died, and 850,000 were displaced refugees. Perhaps in terms of material destruction, Kosovo does compare to Bosnia. Images of, for instance, the city of Mitrovica or Gjakova/Djakovica right after the war, are infact comparable to the destruction of Vukovar, Croatia.

As Leonidas said, Kosovo is also a fight still being fought. Nevertheless, it seems rather evident that the final outcome will be conditional independence. And from this perspective, or from the perspective of the province's majority, the war resulted in a victory. And this serves as an additional argument for the fact that Bosnia was the most horrible war, because although Bosnia is a sovereign state, it is divided in two units called FBiH and RS. And this cripples it as a state very much. Whereas Kosovo is far more homogeneous, and I suspect that it will not face this issue at the same level as Bosnia has, because of the size of the Serbian minority in Kosovo as opposed to Bosnia.

The Croatian War wasn't pretty either. But I would say that the Croats got pretty much what they wanted, and furthermore, they have recovered greatly, even to the point where a considerable proportion of Croatia's citizens are confident that EU needs Croatia more than vice-versa, and that membership isn't needed. So, if there are "winners" in a war, the Croats would fit into that category. Them and the Slovenes, though the 'war' in Slovenia wasn't so devastating, since there weren't many Serbs to live there to begin with.

Conclusively, all the wars in former Yugoslavia were horrendeous, and prooved that human beings are still capable of vicious crimes even after a massive tragedy such as that of WWII.
Yugoslav View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Yugoslav Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Apr-2007 at 08:18
Originally posted by Pjetr Liosha

Bosnia, definetely. First and foremost, if we take into account the number of civilian casualties, refugees and overall destruction, Bosnia takes the lead. Some people claim that a quarteer of a million died, whereas others claim the number of 100,000 victims. Regardless of which, we're dealing with a tragedy indeed.

Kosovo may have been poor even prior to the outbreak of the war, but, it doesn't change the fact that the war still brought immense destruction, leveling villages and even cities with the ground (only Prishtina, the capital, was spared). Some 10,000 people died, and 850,000 were displaced refugees. Perhaps in terms of material destruction, Kosovo does compare to Bosnia. Images of, for instance, the city of Mitrovica or Gjakova/Djakovica right after the war, are infact comparable to the destruction of Vukovar, Croatia.

As Leonidas said, Kosovo is also a fight still being fought. Nevertheless, it seems rather evident that the final outcome will be conditional independence. And from this perspective, or from the perspective of the province's majority, the war resulted in a victory. And this serves as an additional argument for the fact that Bosnia was the most horrible war, because although Bosnia is a sovereign state, it is divided in two units called FBiH and RS. And this cripples it as a state very much. Whereas Kosovo is far more homogeneous, and I suspect that it will not face this issue at the same level as Bosnia has, because of the size of the Serbian minority in Kosovo as opposed to Bosnia.

The Croatian War wasn't pretty either. But I would say that the Croats got pretty much what they wanted, and furthermore, they have recovered greatly, even to the point where a considerable proportion of Croatia's citizens are confident that EU needs Croatia more than vice-versa, and that membership isn't needed. So, if there are "winners" in a war, the Croats would fit into that category. Them and the Slovenes, though the 'war' in Slovenia wasn't so devastating, since there weren't many Serbs to live there to begin with.

Conclusively, all the wars in former Yugoslavia were horrendeous, and prooved that human beings are still capable of vicious crimes even after a massive tragedy such as that of WWII.

To be more precise, the Kosovo refugees are estimated around 500,000-800,000; while the killed are something around 11,000-12,000.

I wouldn't be so sure about Kosovo, it has been shown that Ahtisaari's independence proposal does not enjoy as much international support as everyone thought from start. Also keep on mind the controversy on the victory - even Milosevic presented how he won the war. Confused

The Kumanovo Treaty signed between the Kosovo Albanian leaders and Belgrade obliged the status to be resolved in the future, but explicitly excluding the possibility of independence.
Arbr Z View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Arbr Z Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Apr-2007 at 10:05

This is the real and strongest reason why Kosova will never accept anything less than independence!

Regarding the topic, all wars are cruel, I wont vote, as my opinion would be biased
Prej heshtjes...!
Yugoslav View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Yugoslav Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Apr-2007 at 17:15
Originally posted by Arbr Z

This is the real and strongest reason why Kosova will never accept anything less than independence!

Regarding the topic, all wars are cruel, I wont vote, as my opinion would be biased

How come? Do poor regions across the world separate and build new countries?

Please DO vote, no matter how biased your opinion is - this is a POLL and expect hundreds of people to vote (I need general opinion, it doesn't matter if the general opinion is biased, or essentially wrong).
kurt View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote kurt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Apr-2007 at 07:24
The bosnians got it pretty bad, because they are islamic. the Stari Most bridge, and other really great historical buildings were targetted and destroyed by croats and serbs. it annoys me how the serbs went out of their way to destroy everything that the ottoman empire had left behind, and everything that suggested a muslim civilization had and did exist there. truly barbaric.

recently i read something about how serbian nationalists take an oath every year, claiming they will take revenge against turks too for the battle of kosovo, and hungarians for supposedly exploiting them in the middle ages.
Josip View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote Josip Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Jul-2007 at 20:02
The most horrifying Yugoslav war is the Haag war. Curva del Ponte needs to be arrested and tried for crimes against justice. 
The scent of flowers does not travel against the wind but the odour of good people travels even against the wind; a good man pervades every place. The perfume of virtue is unsurpassed.
HEROI View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote HEROI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Jul-2007 at 20:47
the bosnian war,the sheer brutality of srebrenica massacre is not to be compared even with the crimes of the nazis.Asked about killings of inocent civilians in bosnia Karacic answered quote* THEY ARE TURKS.First of all a very ignorant answer,since the bosnians are not turks but slav people,and much closer to the Serbs rather then the Turks.And then is such an ignorant phrase that sugests that being a Turk in itself justify the barbaric killing towards a person.Thats why Bosnian war was the most horrible and barbaric war fought in the balcans,because it was a war conducted by people blind by mega humania,and nationalistic ignorance.
Me pune,me perpjekje.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Jul-2007 at 00:01
Originally posted by Josip

The most horrifying Yugoslav war is the Haag war. Curva del Ponte needs to be arrested and tried for crimes against justice. 

Why are you twisting her name so it becomes a derragatory term in Slavic languages? If you have a problem with her, or the arrests, or court proceedings then state your opinion, and back it up with legitimate points, not by implying cuss words.

Yugoslav View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Yugoslav Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Jul-2007 at 10:45
Originally posted by es_bih

Originally posted by Josip

Why are you twisting her name so it becomes a derragatory term in Slavic languages? If you have a problem with her, or the arrests, or court proceedings then state your opinion, and back it up with legitimate points, not by implying cuss words.

This sounds like Seselj's newest book, "Political partnership of Curva del Ponte and Curva del Kostunica"...

I for one thing am pretty much fond of her.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>