Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Hannibal spent over 10 years in Italy

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hannibal spent over 10 years in Italy
    Posted: 25-Mar-2007 at 18:49
How could he not starve out Rome.

Did he just not try?
Adalwolf View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Adalwolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Mar-2007 at 20:49
I don't think he had the manpower or the seige engines to take or even besiege Rome. Eventually the Romans just kept him pinned down in southern Italy, without engaging him. 
Concrete is heavy; iron is hard--but the grass will prevail.
     Edward Abbey
Praetor View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Suspended

Quote Praetor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Mar-2007 at 03:32

Hannibal did not besiege Rome because he knew that without reinforcements, he could not take it. As Adalwolf said, he lacked siege equipment and in order to starve Rome out he would need to have his forces completely surround the city for months.
However, this would likely result in a devastating defeat largely because of Fabius Maximus's strategy. This would result in Hannibal's forces running out in food before the Romans behind the walls.
Furthermore, after Cannae the Romans still had a significant force in Italy and many more legions were raised immediately succeeding Cannae.
The few months (at least) required to starve out Rome would be more than enough time for a very large relief force to arrive at Rome's defence.
Though Hannibal was a tactical genius, his forces would be spread too thin while besieging the city to offer any hope off resistance against the double-sided threat. Hannibal would be forced to withdraw or fight to the last man, and more than likely be annihilated.

Regards, Praetor
Knights View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
suspended

Quote Knights Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Mar-2007 at 04:19
Yes as Adalwolf and Praetor exclaimed, Hannibal did not have the resources, Fabius's strategy paid off to an extent. For further insight...http://www.allempires.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=18589
Kamikaze 738 View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Kamikaze 738 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Mar-2007 at 21:19
"Hannibal knew how to gain a victory, but not how to use it" ~ Maharbal
ulrich von hutten View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Court Jester

Quote ulrich von hutten Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Mar-2007 at 01:30
Please, allow me a private note.

10 years in Italy and he must had been exhausted then.

Blocked roads, all his arming was stolen, at every corner a thimblerigger,
crowded beaches, unfriendly waiters and totaly overpriced.
Thats too much even for steeled Carthaginian. 

Stonewall View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote Stonewall Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Mar-2007 at 01:35
How does Rome hold out for 10 years with no supplies.

Did Hannibal really have the the city cut off?
Praetor View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Suspended

Quote Praetor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Mar-2007 at 03:12
Originally posted by Kamikaze 738

I have given reasons why Hannibal did not march on Rome after Cannae and you have given us a quote from a person who may or may not have existed and thats all. Futheremore Hannibal displayed a great deal of Strategic ability as is demonstrated by his invasion of Italy via the Alps (a brilliant strategy) indeed Hannibal was called the "father of strategy" by military historian Theodore Ayrault Dodge.

Originally posted by Stonewall

How does Rome hold out for 10 years with no supplies.
Did Hannibal really have the the city cut off?

Hannibal never besieged the city of Rome, the ten years refers to his time in Italy, which was in fact nearly fifteen years!

Edited by Praetor - 27-Mar-2007 at 03:14
MonsterKiller View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote MonsterKiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Mar-2007 at 13:15
hannibal sucks, not that great anyway... lost Rome and Carthage.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Mar-2007 at 14:59
Originally posted by MonsterKiller

Confused
Baron
Baron

Quote Kamikaze 738 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Mar-2007 at 19:44
Originally posted by Praetor

I have given reasons why Hannibal did not march on Rome after Cannae and you have given us a quote from a person who may or may not have existed and thats all. Futheremore Hannibal displayed a great deal of Strategic ability as is demonstrated by his invasion of Italy via the Alps (a brilliant strategy) indeed Hannibal was called the "father of strategy" by military historian Theodore Ayrault Dodge.

I know you have, Im just saying that the quote represents the situation Hannibal is in. Hannibal knew how to gain a victory because (obivously) he's a tactical genius but he does not know how to use it because like you said, reinforcement were limited and there wasn't time/energy needed to build seige weapons to assault Rome and etc. Basically Im reflecting what you were saying Thumbs%20Up

Edited by Kamikaze 738 - 27-Mar-2007 at 19:46
snowybeagle View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote snowybeagle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Mar-2007 at 21:59
Just how well defended was the city of Rome at that time?

What was the size of her forces and what were her defences?
pekau View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Atlantean Prophet

Quote pekau Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Mar-2007 at 22:04

Either you read really biased books, or you don't know a lot about Hannibal.Confused

Join us.
pekau View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Atlantean Prophet

Quote pekau Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Mar-2007 at 22:07
Did Hannibal really sieged Rome? I don't think he could have even if he tried. There were still some Roman defenses that prevented Hannibal to reach Rome... and Rome could still get the supplies from Southern Italy. We should be asking how Hannibal managed to stay in Italy for ten years, not Rome being able to stay alive for ten years.

Join us.
Baron
Baron

Quote Kamikaze 738 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Mar-2007 at 23:07
Originally posted by pekau

We should be asking how Hannibal managed to stay in Italy for ten years, not Rome being able to stay alive for ten years.

It was kinda like a stalemate, Rome didnt have the resource to successfully destory Hannibal's army, which is taken by the example at Cannae. The Romans never (until one in Rome would be proven to take the task) will openly fight against the "military genius" Hannibal since they dont want to face another defeat. So the slow process of elimination begins to take Hannibal off Italy.

All the meanwhile, Hannibal didnt recieve much forces from Carthage or Macedon so all he had was his mercenaries and his mind to to challenge Rome. In the end, he was forced back to face a new general that was ravaging Spain and there Hannibal was defeated. Rome won in the end because they had the resource to hold on longer, unlike the Carthagians which were limited in their supplies.

Edited by Kamikaze 738 - 27-Mar-2007 at 23:08
Adalwolf View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Adalwolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Mar-2007 at 23:35
Actually Hannibal was forced back to defend Carthage itself, and lost the battle of Zama against Scipio Africanus, who had defeated the Carthaginians in Spain.
Concrete is heavy; iron is hard--but the grass will prevail.
     Edward Abbey
Knights View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
suspended

Quote Knights Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Mar-2007 at 03:47
Originally posted by pekau

Did Hannibal really sieged Rome? I don't think he could have even if he tried. There were still some Roman defenses that prevented Hannibal to reach Rome... and Rome could still get the supplies from Southern Italy. We should be asking how Hannibal managed to stay in Italy for ten years, not Rome being able to stay alive for ten years.

Pekau, Rome was never besieged by Hannibal. He could have if he tried, but as we have established, his chances were fairly slim (I will not delve into why, as it is discussed earlier in the thread). Actually, Southern Italy was quite hostile and shaky in their allegiance towards Rome. The Apulian, Bruttian and Campanian 'allies' to Rome experience a lot of defection to Hannibal, such as Capua and Tarentum. It was the Latin and Northern allies of Rome who remained loyal - to an extent - to Rome. Please note, the Gauls of the North are not included.
In saying this, there were still cities and towns in Southern Italy and Sicily that could interact with Rome herself.
Originally posted by Snowybeagle

There is no exact figure, but I'm pretty sure that Rome still had 8 legions around Italy (plus allies) and those in Sicily. The Sicilian sanctioned legionnaires comprised to an extent, of those who had survived Cannae and were consequently put on the Sicilian front.
Rome itself had able soldiers and several tens of thousands of decent militia. The walls of Rome were not as impressive as they were in the time of the Empire, but were formidable to any besieger nevertheless. Their sheer magnitude and 'circumference' (Note, Rome was not circular) was one of the reasons Hannibal could not have sustained the siege, with such a thin line surrounding Rome.
Originally posted by Kamikaze_738

It was kinda like a stalemate, Rome didnt have the resource to successfully destory Hannibal's army, which is taken by the example at Cannae. The Romans never (until one in Rome would be proven to take the task) will openly fight against the "military genius" Hannibal since they dont want to face another defeat. So the slow process of elimination begins to take Hannibal off Italy.

All the meanwhile, Hannibal didnt recieve much forces from Carthage or Macedon so all he had was his mercenaries and his mind to to challenge Rome. In the end, he was forced back to face a new general that was ravaging Spain and there Hannibal was defeated. Rome won in the end because they had the resource to hold on longer, unlike the Carthagians which were limited in their supplies.

Yes it was a stalemate under the implementation of the Fabian Strategy but otherwise, Hannibal was in control most of the time. Plundering Southern Italy at his will...things like that. Rome certainly did have the resources to defeat Hannibal. They far outnumbered him still and had easy access to supplies (Hannibal's forces couldn't block every trade route...). The thing was, as you said, that they were not up to facing Hannibal in a major pitched battle! He was just too damn good. Of course, skirmished, guerrilla conflicts and minor engagements were fought (such as those involving Marcellus and Hannibal) in Italy, but nothing pitched; the Romans knew Hannibal would find a means of fighting on his own terms, and securing victory even before the battle had started.
Hannibal's support from Carthage and Macedon was rather disappointing indeed, well in many aspects, non-existent. His mercenaries stayed very loyal thanks to his charisma and radiating effect of the success he generated. Also, the fact that they gained a lot of resources and riches from raids/plundering was another reason for their astonishing loyalty to a foreign commander.

I agree with Adalwolf when he says "Hannibal was forced back to defend Carthage itself, and lost the battle of Zama against Scipio Africanus, who had defeated the Carthaginians in Spain".
Hannibal was not necessarily forced back to Africa because of Roman pressure, he could have kept up his practices and presence in Italy for years to come. I should point out though, that his forces were dwindling and Hasdrubal's defeat at Metaurus was a big blow indeed.
It was his need to protect his homeland and nation that drove him back. Carthage demanded he return to protect/save them from the threat that was, Scipio. That he actually complied and returned amazes me, after all the Carthaginian senate did for him while in Italy (or lack of...).
Hannibal was defeated at Zama, though I see it more as Rome defeating Carthage. Rome was determined, endurant and had a stubborn attitude to win! Carthage I must say, did not have the same grim determination (not Hannibal, he had plenty) and will to survive that Rome had. Also, Rome learned from their mistakes - as is illustrated throughout their history - and bounced back from where practically any other nation in history would have collapsed. Full marks to Rome.
Praetor View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Suspended

Quote Praetor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Mar-2007 at 04:26

I know you have, Im just saying that the quote represents the situation Hannibal is in. Hannibal knew how to gain a victory because (obivously) he's a tactical genius but he does not know how to use it because like you said, reinforcement were limited and there wasn't time/energy needed to build seige weapons to assault Rome and etc. Basically Im reflecting what you were saying Thumbs%20Up

I misinterpreted you Kamikaze the reason for that is the context of the qoute where Maharbal critiques Hannibal for not marching on Rome after Cannae and is used by his detractors to represent his percieved lack of strategic ability. I apologise but you are the first to use the qoute in such a manner.

Hannibal did not lose Rome because he never even attempted to take it in the first place, if you are refering to the Roman state then it is in my opinion more accurate to say that Rome prevented Hannibal from winning (largely the work of Fabius and Marcellus) and beat Carthage (largely the work of Scipio). As for Carthage that was only taken in the third Punic war by which time Hannibal had died (interestingly in the same year as Scipio).

Originally posted by snowybeagle

Just how well defended was the city of Rome at that time?

to answer your first question from memory I believe that the citizenry of the city were all raised as militia in preparation for the attack....there were not many soldiers in the city but the militia raised could well be 50000+ and large amounts of more proffesional rienforcements would arrive soon (large Roman armies). the walls of Rome at this time are put to shame by those of Constantinople (later) and probably Carthage too (at the time). but they were more than enough for an army without any form of siege equipment, especially considering the number of defenders (who despite thier low quality would likely fight to the death). The primary strength of Rome in a siege by Hannibal (aside from the potential large relief force) was the circumference of the walls which would be spread Hannibals lines thin to encircle and hence leave him Incredibly vulnearable to counterattack.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Mar-2007 at 14:55

its not that he sucks because of who he is. he just sucks because he lost at zuma and couldnt take rome. which downgrade him to a second-rate general that really cant be compared with others such as Alexander the Great or Genghis Khan
Baron
Baron

Quote Kamikaze 738 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Mar-2007 at 15:14
Originally posted by Praetor

I misinterpreted you Kamikaze the reason for that is the context of the qoute where Maharbal critiques Hannibal for not marching on Rome after Cannae and is used by his detractors to represent his percieved lack of strategic ability. I apologise but you are the first to use the qoute in such a manner.

No problem, I have always consider Hannibal as one of the greatest military commanders in history. As you can see, people can interpret quotes differently, which is why theres been alot of people misquoting the meaning of such statements as in the Bible and or any religious text. I guess I see the good side of the quote LOL
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>