Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

siege warfare

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Zheng-ru View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Zheng-ru Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: siege warfare
    Posted: 10-Feb-2007 at 00:01
Hello all, I am Zheng-ru

I like to build different historical things among other odd interests I have. Here is a Roman ballista. Does anyone know about the bolts (description of size, bolthead, material) that Romans used? I would very much appreciate some help with that.

Edited by Zheng-ru - 10-Feb-2007 at 00:09
"The best victory is when the opponent surrenders of its own accord before there are any actual hostilities...It is best to win without fighting."
- Sun-tzu
Zheng-ru View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote Zheng-ru Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Feb-2007 at 00:08
Here another.

Edited by Zheng-ru - 10-Feb-2007 at 20:34
"The best victory is when the opponent surrenders of its own accord before there are any actual hostilities...It is best to win without fighting."
- Sun-tzu
Penelope View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Alia Atreides

Quote Penelope Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Feb-2007 at 00:58
Zheng-ru, thats a good request, i also would like to learn more about the Roman ballista. By the way, you should visit the thread i created, "The Greatest Sieges Of All Time". Heres the link, it may or may not work though.

ataman View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote ataman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Feb-2007 at 01:08
Originally posted by Zheng-ru

For some reason, the computer won't let me upload my other photos... sorry.

Maybe your photos are bigger than 50kb? You can only upload a photo smaller than 50kb.
Zheng-ru View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote Zheng-ru Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Feb-2007 at 16:40
No they're not, I checked, but thank you. I'll try again later...
- Sun-tzu
Knights View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
suspended

Quote Knights Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Feb-2007 at 16:49
ClapImpressive. What have you used for the 'string'? Is it authentic sinew or just string/rope? Do you plan to fire it? I'm no expert on siege craft or artillery, but there are others around in AE who would be able to give you some pretty accurate and detailed measurements.
What other historical things have you built...hope you are able to get those pictures uploaded soonApprove
Zheng-ru View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote Zheng-ru Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Feb-2007 at 17:00
Originally posted by Knights

ClapImpressive. What have you used for the 'string'? Is it authentic sinew or just string/rope? Do you plan to fire it? I'm no expert on siege craft or artillery, but there are others around in AE who would be able to give you some pretty accurate and detailed measurements.What other historical things have you built...hope you are able to get those pictures uploaded soonApprove

Thanks, Knights. No, I have no sinew, I had to use small rubber bands (the not-very elastic ones). It was most difficult to stretch them through the frame. I wish I could show you better photos from different angles. I did fire it (of course). I shot a wooden "dart" 8 metres. A pebble got 5.5 metres, I haven't figured out how to make the sling properly, yet. If I tighten it more (by turning the washer), it would fire further.

I've also built a historically accurate Viking stave church, the Borgund stavkirche. I plan to build a trebuchet, a bow, and a cho-ko-nu.

Edited by Zheng-ru - 10-Feb-2007 at 20:31
- Sun-tzu
Zheng-ru View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote Zheng-ru Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Feb-2007 at 17:05
Originally posted by Penelope

Zheng-ru, thats a good request, i also would like to learn more about the Roman ballista. By the way, you should visit the thread i created, "The Greatest Sieges Of All Time". Heres the link, it may or may not work though.

Thank you Penelope

I looked at the thread, it is very interesting. I've read that catapults did not affect the outcome of the Siege of Tyre very much. What do you think?

- Zheng-ru

Edited by Zheng-ru - 10-Feb-2007 at 17:14
- Sun-tzu
pekau View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Atlantean Prophet

Quote pekau Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Feb-2007 at 17:39

Hello all, I am Zheng-ru

I like to build different historical things among other odd interests I have. Here is a Roman ballista. Does anyone know about the bolts (description of size, bolthead, material) that Romans used? I would very much appreciate some help with that.

Nice. I made trebuchet once for my physics project. And its size is quite huge... and took half a week to make one. It's range scared some viewers... for the launched project landed on the ground about 200m. I don't know for sure. It flew off our school's soccer field...LOL

Join us.
Zheng-ru View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote Zheng-ru Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Feb-2007 at 18:07
Hello, thanks Pekau

Can you show me some photos, please? I am very interested in it. (I like your quotations, by the way :P)

Edited by Zheng-ru - 10-Feb-2007 at 18:10
- Sun-tzu
pekau View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Atlantean Prophet

Quote pekau Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Feb-2007 at 18:10

Hello Pekau

Can you show me some photos, please? I am vey interested in it.

My teacher's keeping it. I will see if I can ask for it and take a quick picture... it will take at least 2 days since our science department is very busy... and that's assuming that I can get it.

By the way, I am not in University. We call it science department to make it sound more professionalLOL...

Join us.
Zheng-ru View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote Zheng-ru Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Feb-2007 at 18:11
Here is another. I finally figured why the photos would not upload.

Edited by Zheng-ru - 10-Feb-2007 at 20:33
- Sun-tzu
pekau View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Atlantean Prophet

Quote pekau Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Feb-2007 at 18:11
By the way, welcome to AE. You can post your AE name and where you live in here...

http://www.allempires.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=12265&PN=11

Join us.
Zheng-ru View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote Zheng-ru Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Feb-2007 at 18:13
Ah, thanks very much.
- Sun-tzu
Brian J Checco View Drop Down
General
General
Eli Manning

Quote Brian J Checco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Feb-2007 at 19:44
Make it fullsized.
Zheng-ru View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote Zheng-ru Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Feb-2007 at 22:17
Maybe I should. I don't like some of my neighbours very much.

Edited by Zheng-ru - 11-Feb-2007 at 22:23
- Sun-tzu
pekau View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Atlantean Prophet

Quote pekau Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Feb-2007 at 23:55

Sorry to disappoint you, but I was not able to get it back. I made a quick picture in desparation, but I used cell photo...

Join us.
Zheng-ru View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote Zheng-ru Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Feb-2007 at 15:53
No problem, thanks anyways.
- Sun-tzu
Sudaka View Drop Down
Housecarl
Housecarl

Quote Sudaka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Feb-2007 at 22:57

Maybe I should. I don't like some of my neighbours very much.

hahahaha  imagine the police traying to identificate the gun thats makes such wounds!
Not yet mein friend, not yet
Batu View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Batu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Feb-2007 at 10:55
so ballista is a siege weapon.i thought that it was used against human targets
A wizard is never late,nor he is early he arrives exactly when he means to :) ( Gandalf the White in the Third Age of History Empire Of Istari )
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>