Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closedmacedonia and greece ,are they the same e

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
galvatron View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: macedonia and greece ,are they the same e
    Posted: 09-Sep-2006 at 06:29
i want to ask a burning question are greece and macedonia are the same ethnic group ,in some school book in malaysia  alexander the great are refer as greece but some are refer as macedonia ,which are are true ,are both speak the same language  and are i saw too there a  place in greece map they are a place called macedonia ,please let me know ,thank you .
Guests View Drop Down
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Sep-2006 at 06:31
You have just opened up a can of worms.
akritas View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Hegemom

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Sep-2006 at 06:43

There are two lines  as about  the History of the Macedonia.

The one is that are Greeks and expres from N.G.L. Hammond, History of Macedonia.A three volume book that expalin who are the ancient Macedonians.Of course speak for Greek origin

The other is the one that that said the Macedonians were a compound of nations(Greeks,Illyrians,Paeonians and Thracians) and Hellenized during the Argead rule.

You can find historical maps(before 20 th century)  in

I will be glad to answer in any question reagrding the History of Macedonia.

Edited by akritas - 09-Sep-2006 at 06:45
Anton View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Sep-2006 at 09:03
Originally posted by Sparten

Most ofwormsarestill sleeping Tongue
Giannis View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Sep-2006 at 09:50
Originally posted by Anton

Most ofwormsarestill sleeping Tongue

Or maybe tired of this topic Dead

Give me a place to stand and I will move the world.
bg_turk View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Sep-2006 at 12:07

lol
Sharrukin View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Sep-2006 at 13:11
I was tired of the subject for a very long time, but not any more.  I'm afraid, rodimus, that you will probably be more confused about the subject, because any potential debate will probably get very deep into very small details.  I've debated the issue on many forums, for their original non-Greek origin, and so I'm very familiar with the usual arguments pro and con.  It is a potential can of worms.
akritas View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Hegemom

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Sep-2006 at 13:23
It depends where you born, raise and the what kind of heritage teached and learned.The right question must to be  in......what  exactly  is the Macedonian Cultural Heritage ?

All in all, very much like the people, there are various Macedonian heritages equally important for Greek, Macedonian  Slav, and Bulgarian national feelings. The fact that Macedonian culture became known to the west as a Balkan salad or Can of Worms  does not necessarily imply that its ingredients are not or were not identifiable.
xristar View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Sep-2006 at 17:55
Sharrukin, you fail to persuade anyone. Your bunch of words of unknown origin that propose a differemce between macedians and greeks is just very weak evidence.

Defeat allows no explanation
Victory needs none.
It insults the dead when you treat life carelessly.
bg_turk View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Sep-2006 at 22:20
The Macedonian issue is very difficult to debte because of its current political connotations. Each country uses it to justify its hold on its territory and its claim on another.
Sharrukin View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Sep-2006 at 01:15
Sharrukin, you fail to persuade anyone.

On the contrary.  I've received postings and PMs from fellow forumers who were just as skeptical as I was.  The ones that weren't "persuaded" mainly had Greek usernames.   This points to two conclusions: 

1.  They were so nationalistic, (and many opposing posters did betray that line of thinking) that they were not going to hear anything different - just try to "shout me down" so to speak.

2.  They were simply too conditioned to see otherwise.  They could not discern what was "weak" or "strong" evidence.   

In either case, it has come to my attention that there are "cadres" of forumers out there that do in fact try to "takeover" threads by simply "burning out" the guy with the opposing view.  I remember actually witnessing one of these being formed in another forum with the specific purpose of swarming a site which favored the non-Hellenic origin of the ancient Macedonians, and bullying the opposing poster.  I would not be surprised if this had been attempted on me. 

Your bunch of words of unknown origin that propose a differemce between macedians and greeks is just very weak evidence.

Another lie.  I've always had evidence to back me up.  It's simply either ignored (which happened quite a lot), spinned on (with counter-reasonings which baffle the mind), or simply trivialized. 

This is the burden of those like myself who have to contend with such mindsets.  Sometimes it does get upsetting, especially when they accuse you of a political agenda you know you have no connection to.  It gets just as upsetting when those who do have an agenda use you (or your presentation) for their own ends.  Those of you who know me know that I don't tolerate such validation or support.  I feel that I'm beginning to babble, so I'll end it here.
akritas View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Hegemom

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Sep-2006 at 09:38
I would like to see your evidence,argyments  and any relative as about the supposing non-Greekness  of the ancient Macedonians dear Sharrukin , not only in this forum  but anywhere you want.Don't show me the heaven games.Are known and debatable.
xristar View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Sep-2006 at 12:40
I can't actively participate Sharukin, because I have limited knowledge. I remember you though presenting your arguments oven in HG history forum, and the impression I got was that you have some indications that you intepret in the way you want.
I would be happy to see you points again, and believe me I am generally sceptical, I have no problem to accept painful facts of my nation's history, as I have already done with modern greek history.
But remember, the other time that you were arguing with a greek guy, the impression I got (from both) was you see things the way you want.

Victory needs none.
Neoptolemos View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Sep-2006 at 02:04
Originally posted by bg_turk

The Macedonian issue is very difficult to debte because of its current political connotations. Each country uses it to justify its hold on its territory and its claim on another.

As far as Hellas is concerned, you are wrong on both:
1. In the Greek part of Macedonia there are Greeks living and that is justification enough for Hellas to hold on its territory. Even if ancient Macedonians were ethnic Turks, that wouldn't matter much in this respect.
2. Greece doesn't claim any other country's territory.
Anton View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Sep-2006 at 05:55
Originally posted by Neoptolemos

Originally posted by bg_turk

As far as Hellas is concerned, you are wrong on both:
1. In the Greek part of Macedonia there are Greeks living and that is justification enough for Hellas to hold on its territory. Even if ancient Macedonians were ethnic Turks, that wouldn't matter much in this respect.

And this is the case why Greece opposes the name of FYROM to be "Macedonia"? Embarrassed

2. Greece doesn't claim any other country's territory.

Does Republic of Macedonia claim?
xristar View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Sep-2006 at 06:23

1) There is no such thingy as a 'republic of Macedonia'.

2)Fyrom has of course in no way the capabilities to claim anything, but in many cases they seem to believe that the greek macedonia as well as the bulgarian macedonia belong them. (A sidenote here. Why do Fyromians forget that Kosovo and Korytsa are also technically parts of macedonia (as it was in ottoman times)? It seems they cannot kid with the albanians, heh heh.)

3)Greece should claim a part of Fyrom, because according to a research done by the greek governement in early '90s (just after the creation of Fyrom), it found 200,000 people with Greek identity.

Victory needs none.
Anton View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Sep-2006 at 07:15
Originally posted by xristar

1) There is no such thingy as a 'republic of Macedonia'.

There is no such nation as FYROMians.

2)Fyrom has of course in no way the capabilities to claim anything, but in many cases they seem to believe that the greek macedonia as well as the bulgarian macedonia belong them. (A sidenote here. Why do Fyromians forget that Kosovo and Korytsa are also technically parts of macedonia (as it was in ottoman times)? It seems they cannot kid with the albanians, heh heh.)

If you search around this forum you will find a lot of territorial claims between Greeks, Bulgarians, Albanians, Serbs, Croats and others. Look at the map part for example. I (and I suppose Neoptolemos as well) am talking about official claims.

3)Greece should claim a part of Fyrom, because according to a research done by the greek governement in early '90s (just after the creation of Fyrom), it found 200,000 people with Greek identity.

It seems that you is one of those people who claim Tongue  Just to make you feel better -- according to Bulgarian research there is around that amount of people that are with Bulgarian identity in northern Greece. Should we claim these territories? Wink

Yiannis View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Sep-2006 at 07:20
Originally posted by xristar

You're completely bunkers!

What would possibly be the benefit for Greece to claim land that belongs to another country (name it as you like) even if there're Greeks that live there? Should they collect them all (assuming the number is correct and they actually want to), remove them from the cities that they live and please them in an adjoining to Greece piece of land and then give it to Greece (after they drive the non-Greeks out)? Would a few more sq.kms make Greece a better country?

Amazing how people think...

Confused

Edited by Yiannis - 15-Sep-2006 at 07:22
The basis of a democratic state is liberty. Aristotle, Politics

Those that can give up essential liberty to obtain a temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin
Giannis View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Sep-2006 at 08:10
We could take a piece from Germany, Australia and US too and a lot much bigger than FYROM's. That would be great!!LOL

Give me a place to stand and I will move the world.
xristar View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Sep-2006 at 15:17
Well, Yianni, you are right in that there is no real benefit for Greece to take a part of Fyrom. The point is not the square kilometers that a country covers. But I thing we should exploit this population, as a political pressure. And even if we don't have a reason to press the Fyromians, at least we should do something to preserve this population, as a reserve.
We are a small nation, and we don't have the luxury to deny even the smallest Greek populations. Plus, it is a sensitive (well, a little) matter to me, because I have -greek- relatives in Stromnitsa, where part of my family comes from.

It seems that you is one of those people who claim Tongue  Just to make you feel better -- according to Bulgarian research there is around that amount of people that are with Bulgarian identity in northern Greece. Should we claim these territories?
There is this number of slavic speakers (they speak a bulgarian dialect) in northern Greece, but I doubt if they have Bulgarian identity. Some of them have for sure , but I believe they are few.
And you may not be openly claiming these territories, but you do make your underground work. I moved to Veroia because there I study, and amazed I realized that my TV has 2 bulgarian channels (notice, not Fyromian as one would guess). These channels cannot be caught in TV in Thessaloniki.
So, what Bulgaria does is to try to preserve the slavic population. That's what I think Greece should also do, not claim territories.

Edited by xristar - 15-Sep-2006 at 15:19

Victory needs none.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>