Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Popular Falsities in History

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
Author
ulrich von hutten View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Court Jester

Online Status: Offline
  Quote ulrich von hutten Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Popular Falsities in History
    Posted: 28-May-2006 at 03:56
Colombus thought he reached india, but he was only the first tourist on the island of hispaniola.

Hitler started the construction of the "Autobahn" in germany , but it was in the 1920th and early 30th the first plan were made and the first "Autobahn" was opened at August 1932.

there a lot of popular errors in history or quotes ,where the wrong author is named.
the legandary quote of churchill " no sports" can't be proved of by any source.

or what's about the everlasting rumor that einstein was a bad student. he wasn't , he finished the secondary school as one of the best at his school .
there are many errors in history, give us an example of your unexhaustable wisdom....
and you betcha...someone will post his nationalistic crap here...

Edited by ulrich von hutten - 28-May-2006 at 13:23

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-May-2006 at 12:43
People in the middle ages thought the world was flat
Native Americans had no knowledge of the wheel

mamikon View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote mamikon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-May-2006 at 13:08

and the horse...I think

Ponce De Leon's belief that there was a "fountain of youth" in what is now Florida.

Edited by mamikon - 28-May-2006 at 13:10
gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote gcle2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-May-2006 at 06:05
The more money you get the richer you will be.

Quite a lot of people.
tadamson View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote tadamson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-May-2006 at 09:09
Originally posted by Mixcoatl

Both of these statements are untrue, is that what you are looking for?
rgds.

Tom..
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-May-2006 at 10:54
Originally posted by tadamson

Originally posted by Mixcoatl

Both of these statements are untrue, is that what you are looking for?

yes
Akolouthos View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote Akolouthos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-May-2006 at 11:50
"his nationalistic crap"

-Akolouthos

P.S. Sorry, couldn't resist. LOL
Belisarius View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Suspended

Quote Belisarius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-May-2006 at 12:04
Hmm...

Hernan Cortez conquered the Aztec Empire with 500 Spaniards.
Sultan
Sultan

Quote Akolouthos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-May-2006 at 12:17

Constantine created the canon of Scripture.

The ecclesiastics at the Council of Nicaea didn't really believe what they decided, they were just (the operative word) trying to gain political power.

The divinity of Christ wasn't widely believed before Nicaea.

And any number of other things from postmodern fiction, religious "scholarship," etc. Just because they are not widely held to be truth now doesn't mean that they won't be in the future, especially with our grossly uninformed public.

-Akolouthos

Edited by Akolouthos - 29-May-2006 at 12:18
Gargoyle View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Gargoyle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-May-2006 at 12:19

Some popular falsities in History

1. That Jesus was a Christian.
2. Slaves built the Pyramids
3. Nero set Rome on fire.
4. Christians were martyred in the Coloseum.
5. Cleopatra was Egyptian.

Paul View Drop Down
General
General
AE Immoderator

Quote Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-May-2006 at 12:31
I think Cleopatra was Egyptian.

Unless you're are proposing someone is not of their country because sometime in the distant past they had ancestors from another place.

Well, every single human being alive on the face of planet Earth today ancestor's are from another place.
Light blue touch paper and stand well back

http://www.maquahuitl.co.uk

http://www.toltecitztli.co.uk
Sultan
Sultan

Quote Akolouthos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-May-2006 at 12:36
Aye Paul, you make a point. Still, however, given that the culture in Alexandria and along the coast was a good deal more Hellenized than the rest of Egypt, I believe that we can actually say that she was more...not Greek or Macedonian... Hellenic? than Egyptian. Like I said, however, you make a wonderful point that is widely applicable elsewhere, and perhaps here as well.

-Akolouthos
Maharbbal View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Maharbbal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-May-2006 at 12:43
Paul, Gargoyle is not technically wrong as hellenistic Egypt maid a clear difference between Egyptian and Greek subjects (also it is true these communities were defined by the culture you belonged to not your genetic origin, but of course culture and genetic origin were usually the same, with the exception of the Jews who were seen as Greeks). She was seen as an Oriental by the Romans but as a Greek by its Egyptian subjects that often rebelled against the sovereign. To stay in touch with the population, the hellenic kings used the Egyptian clerics. But after a while even those were seen as mere collaborators of the Greeks. Big mess anyway.

M.
I am a free donkey!
Sultan
Sultan

Quote Akolouthos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-May-2006 at 12:46
Much more eloquently phrased and fully explained than my post. My hats off to you Marhabal. Clap

-Akolouthos
Gargoyle View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Gargoyle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-May-2006 at 12:54
Paul,

Sure, Egyptian in the way that she was the Queen of Egypt. Egypt was part of Alexanders empire. Alexandria was a Hellenistic City. Cleopatra's ethnicity was a Greek. The Ptolemaic dynasty was purely Greek, full of inbreeding.

Paul View Drop Down
General
General
AE Immoderator

Quote Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-May-2006 at 13:24
Originally posted by Maharbbal

Paul, Gargoyle is not technically wrong as hellenistic Egypt maid a clear difference between Egyptian and Greek subjects (also it is true these communities were defined by the culture you belonged to not your genetic origin, but of course culture and genetic origin were usually the same, with the exception of the Jews who were seen as Greeks). She was seen as an Oriental by the Romans but as a Greek by its Egyptian subjects that often rebelled against the sovereign. To stay in touch with the population, the hellenic kings used the Egyptian clerics. But after a while even those were seen as mere collaborators of the Greeks. Big mess anyway.

M.

I don't disagree with you Mahabbal and Akolouthos. The Jews, the priests and the Aristocracy were culturally Hellenic, so not Egyptian in that context.

A good example is the British in India. The middle-class and upper class Indian were in this respect British not Indian and Gandhi British not Indian too. Gandhi himself appreciated this point and when he joined the independence movement abandoned all his British culture and adopted the ways of an Indian peasant, to make himself Indian.

It's just when I was replying to Gargoyle's post I was assuming he was not making an cultural observation, but consistant with the most posting on this forum, was making a racial/ethnic/nationalistic analysis.

Sultan
Sultan

Quote Akolouthos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-May-2006 at 13:29
Gotcha. I made the same mistake in another thread. Assumptions like that are very easy to make on this forum. It seems, however, that our friend Gargoyle is, in fact, quite intelligent. Smile

-Akolouthos

Addendum: Your Gandhi example is a perfect illustration of your point.
Gargoyle View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Gargoyle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-May-2006 at 13:42

Why thankyou for that compliment Akolouthos, you are quite intelligent also. I wish I could explain myself as well as you do.

Maharbbal View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Maharbbal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-May-2006 at 13:45
How nice these clever guys: two lovebirds. 
I am a free donkey!
Paul View Drop Down
General
General
AE Immoderator

Quote Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-May-2006 at 13:49
To further add, from a socio-economic and political perspective she was most definately Egyption. The country was her power, her influence and wealth came from that land and she had no assests outside of Egypt as far as I know.

The Romans were attracted to Egypt for it economy not it's the Hellenic culture of it's rulers. I would regard the socio-economic more important than the cultural in this case.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>