Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Ottoman troops

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
xi_tujue View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Atabeg

Online Status: Offline
  Quote xi_tujue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ottoman troops
    Posted: 25-May-2006 at 14:23
how many different troops where there in the ottoman army.
I know about the yeni ceri (jannisary) and the sipahi.

what were the others and do you have picsBig smile
I rather be a nomadic barbarian than a sedentary savage
the Bulgarian View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote the Bulgarian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-May-2006 at 15:09
What does yeni ceri mean in Turkish, anyway?

Edited by the Bulgarian - 25-May-2006 at 15:09
xi_tujue View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Atabeg

Quote xi_tujue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-May-2006 at 15:18
It means new troops
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-May-2006 at 13:51
I got this off of wikipedia. There were kapikulu which were basically slaves, also there were azzabs which built things and resupplied supplies, the bashi-bazouk were a type of azzab who were the rough, and poor branch. They were very brutal. The akincis were part of the (alti boluk) branches of calvary. They were mostly scouts. The sipahis were the most important of the calvary. Hope this helps.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-May-2006 at 13:53
here is a picture of a sipahi

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-May-2006 at 13:56
 akinci.jpg %2817984 bytes%29      Here is a picture of an akinci.
xi_tujue View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Atabeg

Quote xi_tujue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-May-2006 at 04:47
Theres nothing there
violentjack View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Quote violentjack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-May-2006 at 08:56
Yes Akinci were more like archers of today
Yeni-Ceri werent troups or army like other branches, they were elite of elite, and were only sub-serviant to Sultan only.Were strong with huge hats.They were also Meshter troops, thats Band that accompanied Ottoman soldiers into battle

Topulpasha they were heavy artilery of these days

Actually Bashibozuks were irregulars, they wWinkerent in any army.Mainly they were Cherkez or Kurds, but others belonged in their ranks.Their salary was war plunder and many times they rebelled against Ottoman state in the past.But were brutal sometimes, so even Sultan feared them

Bosnjaci,probudite se ili nestanite
xi_tujue View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Atabeg

Quote xi_tujue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-May-2006 at 09:02
DOes anyone know what the real name is of the abus guns on AOE 3
Desimir View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Suspended

Quote Desimir Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Sep-2006 at 16:44
Do you really want to know what kind of soldier wete jannysaris(yenicari).Most of them were taken by turkish when they were a childrens from slaveries like bulgarians,serbs and others.
Batu View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Batu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Sep-2006 at 01:05
no they are a kind of soldiers who beat people like bulgarians,serbs and others :)
A wizard is never late,nor he is early he arrives exactly when he means to :) ( Gandalf the White in the Third Age of History Empire Of Istari )
xi_tujue View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Atabeg

Quote xi_tujue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Sep-2006 at 01:39
Originally posted by Desimir

Do you really want to know what kind of soldier wete jannysaris(yenicari).Most of them were taken by turkish when they were a childrens from slaveries like bulgarians,serbs and others.

thats the beauty of it

YOu might think its cruel but it's efrective and in war thats the only thing that counts.

The question is why not? the ottomans have a regular army those boys were given the chances to have better lifes than anyone of them could dream of (carreer I mean)

Edited by xi_tujue - 14-Sep-2006 at 01:42
Kapikulu View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Kapikulu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Sep-2006 at 06:19
Originally posted by Desimir

It was the system of the Ottomans...Not just janissaries, but important statesmen were also raised in that manner..

It was made in this way,so that no other Turkmen family would contest the rule of Ottoman family, and pose a threat to them..And it was a success for Ottoman family line..

Though, they started to become one of the major ruling power intervening in Sultan's decisions after the beginning of 17th century, and even gone too far to hang or depose some Sultans..They had been the main force stopping all the new innovations suggested for the empire,being one of the reasons for its modernization to come so late.
We gave up your happiness
Your hope would be enough;
we couldn't find neither;
we made up sorrows for ourselves;
we couldn't be consoled;

A Strange Orhan Veli
rider View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote rider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Sep-2006 at 15:02
Originally posted by Batu

no they are a kind of soldiers who beat people like bulgarians,serbs and others :)

You make it sound like Jannisaries were specially bred for fighting (and winning) over Bulgars and Serbs.

A claim that is stupid and ignorant of history.
Turk Nomad View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun
suspended

Quote Turk Nomad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Sep-2006 at 07:37
Most effective Ottoman Troops were Azaps.An Azap soldier chosen from non-mixed Turk Nomads(Yorukhs).They are stronger than mixed ones.

They use no armour and no weapon!=).Only hands.They were heroic warriors and frighten nearby enemy.They  used their hands to kill heavily armoured troops!
Batu View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Batu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Sep-2006 at 08:59
Azaps are berzerkers.
A wizard is never late,nor he is early he arrives exactly when he means to :) ( Gandalf the White in the Third Age of History Empire Of Istari )
xi_tujue View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Atabeg

Quote xi_tujue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Sep-2006 at 10:08
Originally posted by Turk Nomad

Most effective Ottoman Troops were Azaps.An Azap soldier chosen from non-mixed Turk Nomads(Yorukhs).They are stronger than mixed ones.

They use no armour and no weapon!=).Only hands.They were heroic warriors and frighten nearby enemy.They  used their hands to kill heavily armoured troops!

nonsense non-mixed are stronger. I said physicly weaker.

why do you think the ottomans took sebs and georgians for jannisaries  strenght. but this didn't made the turks lesser warriors. Yoruks were stronger than the turkmens(early turks in anatolia) due to there way of life. The nomad fighting "style" is allways on horseback mostly mounted archers or lancers.
EGETRK View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote EGETRK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Sep-2006 at 03:47
sipahi,kapıkulu,humbaracılar,lağamcılar...
The lands of the of the West may be armored with walls of steel,
But I have borders guarded by the mighty chest of a believer...
xi_tujue View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Atabeg

Quote xi_tujue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Sep-2006 at 04:44
tell more about lağamcılar...
EGETRK View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote EGETRK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Sep-2006 at 05:03
they work @undergroung during the sieges
The lands of the of the West may be armored with walls of steel,
But I have borders guarded by the mighty chest of a believer...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>