Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Why were the Minoans so matriarchal?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Odin View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Odin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Why were the Minoans so matriarchal?
    Posted: 10-Apr-2006 at 22:33

A lot of the stuff I've read indicates a very female-centered society, with artwork showing women on throwns and men bowing before women (and no images of women bowing before men). Were Minoan rulers all queens?

"Of the twenty-two civilizations that have appeared in history, nineteen of them collapsed when they reached the moral state the United States is in now."

-Arnold J. Toynbee
Paul View Drop Down
General
General
AE Immoderator

Quote Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Apr-2006 at 00:26

Originally posted by Odin

Were Minoan rulers all queens?

No they were duckies.

Light blue touch paper and stand well back

http://www.maquahuitl.co.uk

http://www.toltecitztli.co.uk
Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Quote Maju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Apr-2006 at 00:49
Can you document that, Odin? I know that there are reasons to think that Minoans were relatively Matri-centric but I have never heard before about those images you say. 

NO GOD, NO MASTER!
Maljkovic View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Quote Maljkovic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Apr-2006 at 07:10
I've heard of this. It is actually part of Indo-European theories, namely the Kurgan hypotesis. This states that before I-E, in whole Europe there were matri-centric or even matriarchal cultures, which changes with the arrival of Indo-Europeans.  
Constantine XI View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Constantine XI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Apr-2006 at 08:18

Were Minoan rulers all queens?

Not unless King Minos was some sort of tranny..........

It is possible the Minoans, with their isolated position and ability to defend themselves purely with a navy, did not need to adopt the patriarchal structure of their mainland neighbours. The threat of large, organised groups of warriors is a major reason for development of patriachal society. If the Minoans never had to face that, it may explain a few things.

I can see why the Minoans wouldn't be as patriarchal but I haven't actually heard of any situations where they were distinctively less so than most peoples of their time. Perhaps you can enlighten us.

Edited by Constantine XI
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Apr-2006 at 08:26
In Greek Mythology, Europa was the daughter of Agenor and Phoenix, who rode from Phoenicia to Greece on the back of a bull.  Apparently, Zeus saw her gathering flowers in a meadow with some nymphs and fell in love with her. So he came down and changed himself into a bull and breathed from his mouth a crocus.  In this way he deceived Europa, carried her off and crossed the sea to Crete where he had intercourse with her. There she conceived and bore three sons, Minos, Sarpedon and Rhadamanthys.  Europa was left by Zeus on Crete to bear her children without a husband.

Does this imply that Europa ruled Crete as a matriarch and suggest that a female deity was worshiped on Crete?

It is interesting that one of the symbols of the European Union has Europa riding on the back of a bull.

Some links to enjoy:
Minoan Religion
http://www.goddessmystic.com/PathActivities/MatricentricCult ures/crete-religion.shtml

Minoan Snake Goddess
http://witcombe.sbc.edu/snakegoddess/minoanculture.html

Names of the Goddess
http://www.mothergoddess.com/completelist.htm

Odin View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote Odin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Apr-2006 at 11:18

Originally posted by Maju

Can you document that, Odin? I know that there are reasons to think that Minoans were relatively Matri-centric but I have never heard before about those images you say. 

Wiki, But the article was labeled as having a questionable neutrality, which is why I was asking your guys' opinion.

"Of the twenty-two civilizations that have appeared in history, nineteen of them collapsed when they reached the moral state the United States is in now."

-Arnold J. Toynbee
Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Quote Maju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Apr-2006 at 11:40
Someone must edit that. 

I think it has more than a questionable neutrality. Even if Cretans (and  possibly other peoples associated to Neolithic Europe and Near East) were strongly Matrifocal and even if women do seem to have got a major role at least in religion, I doubt that they were "matriarchal" as is suggested without evidence.

While the Bull is probably a Matristic icon (the uterus, that's why Venus rules over Taurus in Astrology), this doesn't mean that men were in a subordiante position and in no Cretan image I have ever seen does such thigh appear.

NO GOD, NO MASTER!
Odin View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote Odin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Apr-2006 at 21:38

Someone must edit that.  

And then some radical feminist will just change it back again!

-Arnold J. Toynbee
edgewaters View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Snake in the Grass-Banned

Quote edgewaters Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Apr-2006 at 00:02

I think he must be referring to the procession murals.

It would stretch the page too wide, so here is a link ot the full view of one:

http://img140.imageshack.us/img140/4947/cre1268ty.jpg

And a detail from that:

AFAIK, there are no images of men being treated like this but then again, there are no other images of anyone at all in such an obvious position of authority, man or woman. Also we don't know the context of this mural .... the men might be suitors, rather than subjects. We have only a tiny bit of Minoan art, what we're seeing is a random selection.

Edited by edgewaters
Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Quote Maju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Apr-2006 at 09:06
It clearly shows that they weren't Greeks 

Greeks liked to have their women at home... such an authority position for a woman is probably impossible among Greeks, Romans or even Celts or Germans. No known IE people would have allowed so much power to their women. Maybe in Egypt?

But this doesn't show that women were the ones in power: the prince of the lilies, which shows the oldest fleur-de-lys of all known art, not actually different of how they would be drawn in mediveal heraldry, is quite clearly an aristocratic youn man.

That this lady was indeed a powerful and respected woman, it doesn't mean that all society was organized in an "amazon style". You can well see simmilar situations in our modern society, wich is still very much patriarchal. It means a egalitarian approach to gender.

NO GOD, NO MASTER!
Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Quote Maju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Apr-2006 at 09:07

Someone must edit that.  

And then some radical feminist will just change it back again!

Not necessarily. Anyhow, you can reprot vandals to administrators, etc.

NO GOD, NO MASTER!
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Apr-2006 at 09:46
I'm sure we can find art of Sir Francis Drake and the Sea Hawks bowing to Queen Liz 1 also. And many men paying homage to queen Victoria, Cathrine-the- great, Cleopatra and many other "important" women of history.
Sultan
Sultan

Quote edgewaters Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Apr-2006 at 10:11

such an authority position for a woman is probably impossible among Greeks, Romans or even Celts or Germans. No known IE people would have allowed so much power to their women. Maybe in Egypt? But this doesn't show that women were the ones in power: the prince of the lilies, which shows the oldest fleur-de-lys of all known art, not actually different of how they would be drawn in mediveal heraldry, is quite clearly an aristocratic youn man. That this lady was indeed a powerful and respected woman, it doesn't mean that all society was organized in an "amazon style". You can well see simmilar situations in our modern society, wich is still very much patriarchal. It means a egalitarian approach to gender.

We really don't know what's going on. (As an aside, Celts - at least in Britain - did have women in several important roles, eg we know the names of only two "judges" in ancient Ireland and one, Brigh Ambuid, is female).

We have no idea what this woman is doing, or what sort of event is taking place. We have no idea who the Prince of the Lilies is or what he's doing. My guess is that women and men had different roles, perhaps the women ran the palace economy and the religion and the men ran the navy and the trade network. Who knows. For all we know, the Prince of the Lilies is simply in costume for a ritual and the women in the middle of the cupbearer procession is receiving wedding gifts or suitors and has no power at all. I do tend to think that women held some sort of important role, and I'd guess it has something to do with the religion, and the palaces as centers of both trade and religion. Just on a hunch I think there was likely a king who controlled the navies and the foreign trade - differing powers, like the division between religious and secular authority in early Mesopotamia.

Originally posted by crag_dolomite

I'm sure we can find art of Sir Francis Drake and the Sea Hawks bowing to Queen Liz 1 also. And many men paying homage to queen Victoria, Cathrine-the- great, Cleopatra and many other "important" women of history.

Well ... there is definately something odd going on with the depictions of women in general in Minoan art. Can't say what it means. Certainly not "Amazons" ... everyone depicted who is armed is male. On the other hand, the women all appear to be very wealthy, and as far as we can tell, the religion seems to have had priestesses rather than priests. One can only guess what all this means ... men with secular authority, women with religious authority? Maybe they got wealthy the same way the temple prostitutes of the Sumerians did? Or maybe the religion controlled the domestic trade that centered around the palaces, and the king controlled the navy and the foreign trade? Nobody knows.

Edited by edgewaters
Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Quote Maju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Apr-2006 at 11:59
As I see it, there was an Old Religion that maybe was more ancient but found fertile ground in the Neolithic and its gardening and motherly approach to life. This Old Religion, in multiple variants spread from India to the Atlantic, not via IEs, who were marginal then, but via Neolithic cultural difussion.

This Matrifocal spirituality, that seems so evident in art, must have corresponded to also matrifocal societies. IEs and Semites (and possibly others even before them) did not share those values but, possibly due to their cattle-herding nomadism, evolved into patriarchal societies. What we see among Minoans, Etruscans and other peoples or in the shocking paralelism of Shakta Hinduism and Basque mythology, where god is dual: male and, specially, female.

After all they concieve(-d) God as Mother - particularly in its creative role. Etruscans for instance seem relatively patriarchal (and centered in male gods) but they still are a lot more liberal than Romans.

NO GOD, NO MASTER!
Maljkovic View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Quote Maljkovic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Apr-2006 at 14:43
There are evidence of very similar matriarchal societies spread across Europe, in the time before IE. This is found in comunal graves where everyone in the grave were genetically related through an adult female buried in the same grave.
Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Quote Maju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Apr-2006 at 15:23
Let's better use "matrifocal" - we know of no "matriarchal" societies but we know many matrifocal ones.

Anyhow, which tombs (their culture, region or space-time) are you talking about? I'm curious to see where that matrilocality seems confirmed.

Edited by Maju

NO GOD, NO MASTER!
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Apr-2006 at 20:55
Originally posted by edgewaters

Maybe they got wealthy the same way the temple prostitutes of the Sumerians did? Or maybe the religion controlled the domestic trade that centered around the palaces, and the king controlled the navy and the foreign trade? Nobody knows.

Yes, I like that answer

My personal opinion on the matter is that agriculture societies tended to see the earth as as mother since everything sprang forth from her.
Whereas warrior societies viewed the thunder god as supreme because lightning destroyed the earth

So were the Minoans warriors or farmers?

Edited by crag_dolomite
Odin View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote Odin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Apr-2006 at 22:24

Farmers, obviously, but that can't be the whole story, since farmers that go to war a lot are often very patriarchal (like some societies in New Guinea and Amazonia). Their location probably gave them relative safety, reducing the importance of young men as warriors.

-Arnold J. Toynbee
Sultan
Sultan

Quote edgewaters Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Apr-2006 at 23:57

My personal opinion on the matter is that agriculture societies tended to see the earth as as mother since everything sprang forth from her. Whereas warrior societies viewed the thunder god as supreme because lightning destroyed the earth

Hmm ... alot of early agricultural societies were very, very warlike. Look at what the first explorers of the Americas discovered - relatively peaceful Plains tribes (until the arrival of the horse), but a great deal of war associated with corn-based agrarian cultures like the Aztec or Iroqouis (the latter also matrifocal). Similarly in Europe, the Celts and their predecessors were very much agrarian, often worshipped a fertility goddess (and, at least in Ireland, featured female combatants), but were again very warlike. Conversely, many pastoralist groups were not warlike at all - militaristism among pastoralists often seems to be a response to agrarians appearing or spreading in former grazing areas. In many cases, human sacrifice also appears to be associated with the early agrarian cultures, even matrifocal ones - perhaps even the Minoans. See here.

That considered, the Minoans themselves do not appear to be particularly warlike - above all, they are seafarers and traders though there is some thought that they must have been a formidable naval power. The question of their navy aside, their cities were not walled, only a few weapons have been found, and there is only a single depiction of armed men (some spearmen by the coast).

Edited by edgewaters
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>