Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Mountain men of the Old West

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Mountain men of the Old West
    Posted: 01-Apr-2011 at 16:52

The typical Mountain Man was a gruff, bearded loner who made a living hunting buffalo and trapping beavers for the hat industry. In the early years of the Old West they frequently served as guides for the pioneers.
The exploits of many of these frontiersman became the stuff of legend: everyone has heard of Grizzly Adams who wrestled with bears and Indian Wars hero Davy Crockett who defeated a fierce Creek warrior in a duel with tomahawks
Centrix Vigilis View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Quote Centrix Vigilis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Apr-2011 at 17:52
A favorite subject as a youngster and my favorite of favorites, and I admired many, was
Jedediah Smith.

Here is the link to Hugh Glass's tale....

And equally imoressive was Jim Beckwourth.

Thanks

Edited by Centrix Vigilis - 02-Apr-2011 at 16:17
"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"

S. T. Friedman

Pilger's law: 'If it's been officially denied, then it's probably true'

unclefred View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Suspended, Historum joker

Quote unclefred Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Apr-2011 at 14:05
Hugh Glass is a great story, and a pretty good movie, Man in the Wilderness.
Emperor
Emperor

Quote Centrix Vigilis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Apr-2011 at 16:46
Yup twas.

Now along those lines comes the nexus between those same mountain men and later expeditons and surveys military or commercial that accompanied US expansion into the west...as not only did these men assist given their knowledge and expertise of flora-fauna-terrain and climatc conditions...without them and Native guides....the process would have been slowed to a crawl. The history of exploration anywhere can make the same claim.....but in the west of North America it was critical.

Edited by Centrix Vigilis - 02-Apr-2011 at 16:49

S. T. Friedman

Emperor
Emperor

Quote Centrix Vigilis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Apr-2011 at 02:14
Here is a good little starter site for those interested in surveying expeditons.

S. T. Friedman

Emperor
Emperor

Quote Centrix Vigilis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Apr-2011 at 02:17
Also..... there are these fine links.

Geological Surveys Before the Civil War

http://pubs.usgs.gov/circ/c1050/before.htm

Edited by Centrix Vigilis - 03-Apr-2011 at 02:21

S. T. Friedman

Emperor
Emperor

Quote Centrix Vigilis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Apr-2011 at 17:51
And again along those lines.. here's a classic by a man not only involved in the surveying and exploration of routes; he was instruemental in the developement of commerce along them. His interests were many and he was highly read.

COMMERCE of the PRAIRIES.

by JOSIAH A. GREGG

http://www.kancoll.org/books/gregg/

Edited by Centrix Vigilis - 13-Apr-2011 at 17:53

S. T. Friedman

eaglecap View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote eaglecap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Apr-2011 at 18:23
Originally posted by Centrix Vigilis

A favorite subject as a youngster and my favorite of favorites, and I admired many, was
Jedediah Smith.

Here is the link to Hugh Glass's tale....

And equally imoressive was Jim Beckwourth.

Thanks

I have been to Jerry Johnson hot springs in N. Idaho where the remains of Jedediah Smith's cabin remains. There is not much left but it is next to a hot spring and he had placed metal pipes into the floor to heat the floor with hot spring water, they are still there.
Λοιπόν, αδελφοί και οι συμπολίτες και οι στρατιώτες, να θυμάστε αυτό ώστε μνημόσυνο σας, φήμη και ελευθερία σας θα ε
okamido View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

suspended, tit for tat

Quote okamido Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Nov-2011 at 21:38
In 1847, Mountain Man John Johnson's American Indian wife was killed by Crow warriors. This began a twenty year blood-fued between Johnson and the Crow that always ended in one grusome way. As an insult to the Crow, everytime Johnson killed a warrior, he would cut out there liver, take one bite, and spit it out. This was designed to place shame on the Crow, who would eat the raw liver of the animals they hunted to absorb their power. By spitting the piece out Johnson was saying that their livers were unfit for human consumption.

Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Nov-2011 at 20:26
Liver-eating Johnson was a touch character, no mistake. Once he was captured but he cut his bonds, killed an Indian, cut off his leg and ate it on a 200 mile walk through the wilderness to the cabin of a fellow-trapper
Me Grimlock not nice Dino! Me bash brains!
unclefred View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Suspended, Historum joker

Quote unclefred Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Dec-2011 at 13:16
Jim Bridger has his name on landmarks all over the west. Despite his early misplays, such as abandoning the Grizzly mauled Hugh Glass, he became one of the most influential trappers in our history. His exploits influence and range from the plains all the way out here to Oregon. He and Kit Carson figure prominently in my mind. He also was very respected by the tribes and was as expert as anyone in dealing with them. The Army relied on his guiding and brigade leading for decades because of that and because of his encyclopedic knowledge of the countryside.

Jim Bridger 
Autie View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Autie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Dec-2011 at 15:55
Mountain men were used and were very valuable to the Army as well.

Bridger was thought highly of by G.A. Custer. Not sure what Bridger thought of him though.

Custer also thought highly of Kit Carson and even though he may not be considered a "mountain man", Custer appreciated Wild Bill Hickock for his unique abilities.
“[I have] too much confidence in your zeal, energy, and ability to wish to impose upon you precise orders...” - Terry to Custer
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Dec-2011 at 19:21
Like Unk, i also hold Bill in high esteem. I started a topic about him a couple of months ago:

Wild Bill's Card Game
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Aug-2012 at 19:15
Mountain Man View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Mountain Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Aug-2012 at 19:42
Mountain Men were a breed apart from others, some think a little anti-social...to say the least... but I like to think of them as men who enjoyed living amidst the solitary splendor of the High Country without depending on others for anything.

While I was reading some old railroad history, which has a lot to do with isolated communities, I happened across a small piece about a man who was isolated in a remote mining community during a severe winter when the railroads were shut down - a frequent occurrence.

When his supplies ran low, he hiked over thirty miles to a nearby town through deep drifts, and back again dragging his supplies on a sled - two days each way.  The amazing part of this was that he was 79!

The author went on to say that one day a year or so later the old guy just pulled up stakes and hiked clear out to civilization, over seventy miles, by himself and was never heard from again after reaching his destination.

They were tough old birds.

I would have to say though, Nick, that buffalo hunters were a different breed of men.  Many of them made a living shooting buffalo to provide meat for the work crews building the railroads, and because of the work involved, tended to work in groups more than singly.

Edited by Mountain Man - 24-Aug-2012 at 19:45
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Aug-2012 at 20:02
Sounds like my grandad. He climbed his last mountain (Snowdon in Wales) when he was 81, just two years before he died
lirelou View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote lirelou Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Aug-2012 at 00:07
My impression of the Mountain Men is that they were first and foremost businessmen. Their goal was to make as much money in the fur trade as possible, and to do that they had to know their market and the tribes whose furs could be purchased by trade for necessities and resold down river at a higher price. Of course, they also trapped on their own, but again this was driven by a desire for gaining a price for their furs that would pay a handsome profit.

I attended a 'rendezvous' up in the Cache valley of Utah in the early '80, and was quite impressed with the efforts of the Mountain Man re-enactors, though they would have resented the term. Their descriptions of Mountain Man life sounded more like New Age romanticism. My own belief is that Mountain Men didn't go into the wilderness to reject civilization. Rather, through the fur trade, they hoped to buy themselves a place high up in it, ending out their lives in Saint Louis and other established towns.

Phong trần mài một lưỡi gươm, Những loài giá áo túi cơm sá gì
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Sep-2012 at 19:20
There were French trappers who took everything they needed in a big canoe and paddled down river where they traded with the Indians. The most sought-after items were glass beads which the Indians used to decorate their clothes
Emperor
Emperor

Quote Centrix Vigilis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Sep-2012 at 03:05
Courtesy of my friends at the MTO.

It's generic and beginner oriented...but much more may be found by simply web searching for Fur Trade/Trading in North America/Canada/United States.

While predominately the record highlights French-British-American operations. Just as interesting but not as well publicized is the Russian Fur Trade industry in the region with their emphasis in Maritime fur trading operations.

S. T. Friedman

Emperor
Emperor

Quote Centrix Vigilis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Sep-2012 at 03:12
Equally interesting is that trading done with the Spanish and later Mexican terr. in the now American SW. For one example see the link where you learn of it's importance and especially around Taos, NM.

Edited by Centrix Vigilis - 02-Sep-2012 at 03:13

S. T. Friedman

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>