Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Officers' duties during the age of sail?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Cuddles McKitten View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Cuddles McKitten Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Officers' duties during the age of sail?
    Posted: 10-Mar-2009 at 14:45
Does anyone have a link to a summary of what each officer rank's (British preferred) duties -- in battle and out -- were during the age of sail?  I've recently become interested in this time period and I can't seem to find this information!
gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote gcle2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Mar-2009 at 12:00
I don't have a link, but if you have more detailed specific questions, I'll try and answer them.

Meanwhile, try and get a copy of N.A.M.Rodger's The Command of the Ocean for post-1600 or so or his The Safeguard of the Seas  for earlier.
BillCarson436 View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote BillCarson436 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Apr-2009 at 01:41
Hello...

Although not in great detail, there is some information on the Officers and duties in the following books.

HMS Victory - Warships of the Royal Navy by Ballantyne & Eastland

also...

John McKay's   Anatomy of the Ship - The 100 gun-Ship Victory ( Revised Edition )

JCP
mazuk View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote mazuk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Aug-2009 at 12:29
From knowledge on the Royal Navy (1792-1815) i know that,

Admiral of the fleet - he had the last say on orders of battle and the general strategy what the navy was going to play

Admiral - had total control over his squadron and would mainly be giving commands to friendly ships and officers during engagments

Vice Admiral - he would lead the main a front of a naval engagement whilst being overseen by the admiral

Rear Admiral - was the senior command of a naval squadron and overseed all actions and welfare under him. He would command from the centre vessel, he would also be the most junior naval admiral.

Commodore - A captain assigned squadron command (several ships) strategies in engagements / meetings with senior officers were given out with squadron orders and assignments could be set. A commodore would be commanding his own ship or have a captain serving under him on a ship.

Captain - This is usually the most senior officer on the ship who has control. He would of made sure that the general running of every dept would be sufficient and up to standards for battle conditions and journeys at sea. Sometimes you might hear the phrase 'post captain' which basically meant a captain who had a post (ship) as sometimes during peace times captains of ships were demoted simply because there was no commands availiable and then were 'posted' to a ship becoming a captain again.

Commander - this title could be given to the most senior rank on a ship.

Lieutenant - this is were it becomes interesting as you may of well known on bigger ships (ships of the line) there could be as many as 4+. The reason is fairly simple there are groups of men split into divisions each with a lieutenant overseeing the men and obviously the more men the more lieutenants that will be needed. When you start to see 1st/2nd/3rd/4th etc before is simply a reference as to their seniority amongst the ship for example the 1st lieutenant would be the most senior (as he would of been commisioned as a lieutenant the longest). Most watch officers would of been lieutenants as well.

Midshipman - was the most junior officer usually a boy who gained acceptance onto a ship through connections to the captain of the vessel or other means. His duties were mainly to watch over a division along with lieutenants in battle (group of men and guns) and working with senior nco's to achieve the daily running of a ship...more or less like a supervisory role amongst nco's.

"Night or the Prussians"
AdrianKok View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote AdrianKok Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Nov-2009 at 01:08
In most cases the admirals will be in port handling admin & strategic duties while collecting a part of commissions (1/8th i think) from the captains under him (who captures booty) in his region of the sea.

There are Admiral of the Blue, White, etc - not too sure what that means tho from the top of my head perhaps others can fill in.

mazuk View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote mazuk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Nov-2009 at 02:09
There were rear admirals / vice admiral / admiral of the blue white and red (I think they are the colours) with the rear admiral being the least experienced and usually commanding the van squadron so that he wasn't leading the fleet into the engagement. Then in some cases the admiral would command the centre squadron leaving the vice admiral to command the leading squadron.
When in battle fleets were usually arranged into 3 squadrons each with an admiral as the co meaning he had around 15-20 ships under him. Although examples like trafalgur don't follow this at all with the 'nelson touch' two columns were formed one by nelson in his flagship hms victory and the other by collingwood in his flagship hms royal sovereign. Both these ships were 1st raters with over 100 guns
 Post Reply Post Reply