Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Heraclius

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Justinian View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
King of Númenor

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Justinian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Heraclius
    Posted: 31-Oct-2007 at 20:09
Hmm, that is an interesting account nonetheless.
"War is a cowardly escape from the problems of peace."--Thomas Mann

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Oct-2007 at 21:08
Originally posted by Sparten

Nobody is claiming that he was a "closet" muslim. Just that his reply was rather courteous and one of a man who clearly wanted to learn more.

Exactly. His courteous response does not deem him a Muslim, nor does it make it "false," or "Islamic bigotry." It certainly may have happened that way that he had been given to reply rather courteously. Now as far as him proclaiming the true religion or not that can be also inserted by a forgivable bias of the eyewitness accounts who just like their Christian counterparts would have been given to be more in favor of their own religious view than the other.

Either way I do not see it as very unlikely that such a courteous response would have been given.
Constantine XI View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Constantine XI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Nov-2007 at 07:49
I read through the entire thing again. The first time I read it I was under the impression he was swayed by Islam, but the second read dispelled this thought.

The account in many ways appears very authentic, especially the part where Heraclius tests his court's faith in that little false command. For some reason that part struck me as especially authentic.

I think the authors may have indulged slightly with regards to the "foreseeing" that Heraclius did, and identification of the Arabs as the new conquerors. While not an impossibility, I find it suspicious as it smacks of Arab attempts to gain credibility for their expansion subsequently by associating these with "prophecies" by their first great enemy.

The accommodating and courteous nature of the reply is totally typical of Byzantine diplomatic protocol. While I don't think Heraclius would be "sympathetic" to heretical beliefs (as that is the only way a Byzantine Emperor could view Islam), it does look perfectly feasible that he would want to be polite and promote cordial relations (while he also gains useful intelligence, as the account shows him doing).
Chilbudios View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Chilbudios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Nov-2007 at 08:00

Sahih al-Bukhari was a 9th century Muslim author, hence he wrote his accounts 2 centuries after Heraclius's lifetime. Also the hadith is basically oral tradition until the moment when it was written down, therefore it was rightfully labeled as "tradition". In Western histriographies such an account is often considered unreliable or at least it's wise not too trust it too much.

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Nov-2007 at 08:07

Sahih Bukhari collected accounts, he did not record them. He is no more unreliable than herodotus. Also Sahih Bukhari is not the only one, it exists in multiple places, including a biography of Muhammad written shortly acfter his life time.

Secondly, why would they write that as propaganda. Herculius would shortly become the main enemy of islam, having him kill the messenger in a fit of anger would be far more useful as a propaganda tool then what is actually related.
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Chilbudios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Nov-2007 at 09:03
Herodotus is considered unreliable for many of his claims, and especially when it's about details and their accuracy. Generally the larger the distance between an author and the things he described (in time, in space, in the number of people involved in retelling), the more inaccurate the source is. Imagine a dialogue of the length of the one mentioned here how much would change after being retold tens of times until it was written.

Is there any contemporary account (preferably of a eye-witness)? Is this account confirmed by an independent contemporary testimony(a Byzantine one, for instance)? These are key questions in estabilishing a source being of high reliability.

Please note I am not discussing about propaganda, simply about the inaccuracy of the oral tradition.
Omar al Hashim View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote Omar al Hashim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Nov-2007 at 09:56
@Constantine: I would completely agree with your analysis in the last post. Also, as the narrator is an Arab, he may have interpreted/been fooled into thinking Herclius was more pro-Arab than he really was. (Note that Abu Sufian was not a muslim at the time of the story, but was before his death)

@Chilbudios: Your correct in pointing out that al-Bukhari wrote his book 2 centuries after the event, but you shouldn't discount the oral tradition of those centuries, or the work that has already been done by Bukhari and all previous and subsequent Hadith scientists in identifying which have been distorted by oral transmission. As the lifetime of the prophet was known to be of historical and religious importance, a huge amount of emphasis was placed on keeping that history accurate. Your not talking about legends transmitted from grandfather to grandson, your talking about transmission from scholar to scholar in the university. USC doesn't have the Isnad (chain of narrators) on its website, so I can't tell you how many transmissions it went through, typically 3-5 I think.

The criteria for one to be classed as Sahih, is quite strict, and requires the narrators to have the sort of accurate memories that don't exist in the modern literate world. One of the requirements is that the event is witnessed by multiple independent people (although they are probably all Arabs)
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Chilbudios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Nov-2007 at 11:51

A fragment of the isnad can be deduced from the accounts you presented: Abdullah bin Abbas retells a story he knows from Abu Sufyan bin Harb with the latter visiting the court of Heraclius. I'm not sure how hadith scholarship (which Muslim university in 7th century?? the two fellows involved in this bit of transmision certainly were no hadith scholars, both are relatively famous figures in the history of early Islam) could guarantee the truth of a story which came to them after a chain (I'm sure an isnad could be much longer than 5 narrators) of such retellings, it only could guarantee for the verosimility of the story, the real possibilities of the transmission to really have happened, on the trustworthiness of the persons involved in the retelling etc., but none of these can guarantee the accuracy of the story itself. Modern western scholarship, AFAIK, does not take hadith transmission to be very accurate. And it's not an anti-Islamic bias, it uses the same measure for any written source.  

Justinian View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
King of Númenor

Quote Justinian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Nov-2007 at 20:27
I would just add that those cultures with oral traditions are generally known for amazing memory; such as the ability to recite an historical account to the letter.  I don't know much about this particular case you fellows are discussing, but just thought I would mention that.

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Nov-2007 at 21:51
EDIT

Edited by es_bih - 01-Nov-2007 at 22:13
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Nov-2007 at 22:12
Originally posted by Justinian

I would just add that those cultures with oral traditions are generally known for amazing memory; such as the ability to recite an historical account to the letter.  I don't know much about this particular case you fellows are discussing, but just thought I would mention that.

I have heard about that too relating to many various oral traditions. The Arabic oral tradition is excellent in quality, and authenticity, and like you mentioned amazing memory. From Hodgson, and from Nashat my Middle Eastern History seminar we get the confirmation of that being true.

Justinian View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
King of Númenor

Quote Justinian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Nov-2007 at 01:58
Does anyone have any byzantine sources on the battle?  I would be curious what the numbers listed from them would be.  At least we could compare those with the arab sources instead of just going with arab sources and our own discretion. 

I still wonder about those numbers; 100,000 byzantines versus less than 50,000 arabs, just doesn't seem like something the byzantines would do, especially with a man like heraclius as emperor.  Its just hard to believe the byzantines outnumbered an opponent by that much, throughout their history it is an endless parade of engagements where the basic criteria is the byzantine army is alway outnumbered.

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Nov-2007 at 17:50
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Nov-2007 at 08:33
The problem with the Byzantine empire was the bad relations with the Monophysites. Many of them turned into the cult of islam. Whether it was the bad relations with the patriarche or some other problems, many Christians turned into islam because they felt rejected.

On the other hand, it may be the brutality of Mohhamend and his followers that turned many arab christians into the cult of islam. They were scared from the atrocities of Mo, while the pensila was not well funded from Heraclios. Mo has asked Herclios to turned into islam but of course he denied.

However Heraclios was a great leader and emperor but he died when europe was needed him more. His regime started a 1000 years war between the byzantine empire and islam and saved europe many times from islam.

Edited by Unknown - 27-Nov-2007 at 08:36
Al Jassas View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Al Jassas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Nov-2007 at 10:22
Hello to you all

I was on my way to taking a siesta but I found this interesting "response" from our friend unknown.

Well unknown I would like to advise you to stick to history and leave ideology behind if you want to continue to be a part of this forum or else you will be banned like many other people before who inserted their ideology into history or analysis.

Islam is not a "cult", of course you should know that since a third of your country's population is muslim. Byzantines fell because they were lousy rulers and their military was not top notch pure and simple. They tried to reconquere what they lost during the 50 years of Islamic civil wars and failed. The local population if you read history carefully continued to be a majority christian well into the 9th century and in some places like nothern palestine they were in the majority untill the 19th century. The prophet forced nobody to convert as did the muslim empires after him or else you would have been a muslim wouldn't you. Last time I checked Macedonia was ruled for some 500 years and it is still a christian country. Nor were muslims "brutal" towards christian arabs, some parts of present day Saudi Arabia had christian tribes as late as the 10th century. Islam was seen as a force of union between the tribes and it fitted many Arab traditions that were against christian doctrines at that time. Finally if you read the thread carefully you would find that the prophet asked Heraclius to convert politely and the vassals killed the messengers of the prophet which was and still is a formal declaration of war. The levant was taken in a legitimate war that was started by the Byzantines's vassals, pure and simple.

Al-Jassas
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Nov-2007 at 11:18
btw, I LIVE IN greece, meaning macedonia north greece, when i loged in.

In few words you said that islam is the religion of tolerance. Here some refs from your holy books and Mo's bio

Sirat p. 369 talks about violence on non-muslims

From the qu'oran

To those against whom war is made, permission is given (to fight), because they are wrongedand verily, God is most powerful for their aid(They are) those who have been expelled from their homes in defiance of right (for no cause) except that they say, our Lord is God. (22:39-40a)

Let there be no compulsion in religion (2:256a).

When you meet your enemies who are polytheists, invite them to three courses of action. If they respond to any one of these, you also accept it and withhold yourself from doing them any harm. Invite them to [accept] Islam; if they respond to you, accept it from them and desist from fighting against them. ... If they refuse to accept Islam, demand from them the jizya. If they agree to pay, accept it from them and hold off your hands. If they refuse to pay the tax, seek Allahs help and fight them. Sahih Muslim, Book 19, Number 4294

According to
Joseph Schacht, An Introduction to Islamic Law (London: Oxford University Press, 1964), p. 131, Non-Muslims  had to pay for jizya tribute, wear distinctive clothing (it reminds me of david's star during the nazi era) and mark their houses (which must not be built higher than Muslims houses), must not scandalize Muslims by openly performing their worship services, nor build new churches or synagogues. Those who owned land were also required to pay a land tax.

Actually asking other kings to "convert or die" was a usual practice like asking for ransoms from prisoners.

I cover many of the Heraclius Bukhari Hadith in POD fairly extensively because they are so moronic. Anyone with half a brain exposed to the full complement of them will laugh themselves silly. I used them for comic relief in the midst of the terrorist raids. 

And what's the point? Even if there were actual historic evidence that Heraclius liked Islam, which there isn't, what effect would that have on the actual nature or veracity of the religion?

Edited by Unknown - 27-Nov-2007 at 14:29
Leonardo View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Leonardo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Nov-2007 at 17:26
Originally posted by Al Jassas

Finally if you read the thread carefully you would find that the prophet asked Heraclius to convert politely and the vassals killed the messengers of the prophet which was and still is a formal declaration of war. The levant was taken in a legitimate war that was started by the Byzantines's vassals, pure and simple.

Al-Jassas

Pure and simple? I consider pure and simple this as a proof that it was a post factum islamic fabrication to justify the islamic aggression against the Byzantines.

Cool

Al Jassas View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Al Jassas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Nov-2007 at 19:35
Hello to you all

Please, if you have anything about Islam say it in other threads and I will be happy to discuss the issues with you there, but in the mean time this  thread is about Heraclius and I already said most what I want to say.

As for you Leonardo, last time I checked PC talk and international law rhetoric did not exist back when historians mentioned what was said in my previous post. So There was no agression on the part of muslims or anything else, Byzantines interferred with internal affairs between Arabs and they got what they deserved, this happened 1400 years ago, get over it man.

Almost every war in history was unprovoked so why what was legitimate for Byzantines and Romans before (invading Arabia reaching as far as Najran and encouraging Ethiopeans to invade Arabia as well as forcing tribute among other things)  is not for the Arabs who just were taking an opportunity of a mistake by the Byzantine to start a war that lead to the conquest of the levant and North Africa. As far as I am concerned Heraclius was given an opportunity, keep your lands and your titles but let us punish the agressors and let the Islamic faith be freely allowed in your dominion, he refused and he got what was coming. It was the 7th century and that sort of action was the norm.

Al-Jassas
Reginmund View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Reginmund Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Nov-2007 at 23:45

As for you Leonardo, last time I checked PC talk and international law rhetoric did not exist back when historians mentioned what was said in my previous post. So There was no agression on the part of muslims or anything else, Byzantines interferred with internal affairs between Arabs and they got what they deserved, this happened 1400 years ago, get over it man.

Of course there was aggression on both sides; it was a war after all. And who can say who deserved what; did the Byzantines deserve the Arab conquest for blocking the Islamic faith any more than the population of Jerusalem deserved the massacre of 1099 for blocking Christian pilgrims? 

"Deserves it! I daresay he does. Many that live deserve death. And some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them? Then do not be too eager to deal out death in judgment. For even the very wise cannot see all ends."

As far as I am concerned Heraclius was given an opportunity, keep your lands and your titles but let us punish the agressors and let the Islamic faith be freely allowed in your dominion, he refused and he got what was coming. It was the 7th century and that sort of action was the norm.

Indeed, but it was an unrealistic demand. Heraclius was already trying to stamp out the Monophysites, it would have been entirely contrary to his policy of religious unity to allow another sect to enter.

I'd also like to add that the Arab conquest of the Byzantine territories wasn't especially dramatic. The Levant and Egypt was were the Monophysite creed found most of its followers, and these people felt alienated from the central government in Constantinople which by no means would grant them freedom of worship. The Arabs however did, in addition to lower taxes, and many were only too happy to switch sovereign.

Edited by Reginmund - 27-Nov-2007 at 23:46
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Nov-2007 at 07:55
Roman - Byzantine Empires brought not only peace but also helped people living into those isolated and underdevelop areas to become humans in terms of education, trade and etc.

Al Jassas you justified the imperialistic nature of Islam, it wanted to conquer the world. North Africa and Levent were some of the most advanced Byzantine territories, with lot of freedoms, people were getting education, they could speak Greek and Romans, they could write, they had freedoms. So who started the war? There was not a single arab into those areas, North Africa had a mix of local tribes, Berbders, Carthaginians, Vandals (who were a German tribe) Greeks, Romans and Jews and Levent had Assyrians mixed also with Romans, Armenians, Local tribes and Greeks. I wonder what the heck Arabs were doing in North Africa, Levent, and even to SPAIN and how all those nations living in the areas occupied from Islam dissapeared into few years (Shall i use the g-word?). Those areas were quite advanced and had nothing to do with the recked and "below the poverty line" areas that Islam created.

Is there any justification for invading and occupying Levent, North Africa, Asia Minor and even Spain since there was not a single arab there?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>