Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Napoleon

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 8>
Poll Question: Who was really Napoleon Bonaparte?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
21 [19.44%]
31 [28.70%]
55 [50.93%]
1 [0.93%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Napoleon
    Posted: 18-May-2008 at 11:40
In my opinion Napoleans ideas where very good and very similar to what we have today however his opinion that he needed to impress them on everyone else was egotistic and costly and resulted in hundreds of thousands of deaths it could be likened to Hitler some good policies i.e. reduction of unemployment and beniftis systems but some very bad ones ie. Holocaust, but will always be renembered for trying to force thier ideas on others

For this reason despite his brilliant ideas he will always be quite deseridly be renembered as a tyrant who let himself become bigger than his ideas, and saught a place in History rather than the benifit of humanity i.e. the hordenus treatment of Spainish partisan fighter due theNapoleonic period with death of of men woman and children, when it was obvious Spain was not receptive to his ideas, anyone who santions this kind of behaviour cannot be considered great or anything close to it it would be like calling Satlin or Hitler great  
Justinian View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
King of Númenor

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Justinian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Oct-2007 at 05:42
Not sure if this is allowed or not, so if it isn't one of the mods can delete it:

I visit Simaqian history forum from time to time (haven't posted there yet, just read the threads) and came across a thread on Napoleon that asks if he was a villian or hero.  There were some wonderful contributions there and thought I would bring it to the awareness of our members here.  If you do look through it be sure to pay particular attention to the posts by the member UberCryxic and debate between that member and the british chap allsirgarnet.  There is some intense debating between the two but the debate is a perfect illustration of the pro-napoleon side versus the british anti-napoleon view.  (no offence to our british members of course)Smile  UberCryxic gives a lot of great information; if you couldn't tell I am of a similar opinion as he with regards to Napoleon.

If anyone there takes offence to this, my sincerest apologies.
"War is a cowardly escape from the problems of peace."--Thomas Mann

pekau View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Atlantean Prophet

Quote pekau Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Sep-2007 at 04:12
I could have done better...Tongue

Join us.
AndronicusRex View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote AndronicusRex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Sep-2007 at 02:03
Legendary emperor, clearly.  The facts speak for themselves really.
Andronicus Rex, Noble of the Republic

http://angryamericanaristocrat.blogspot.com/
Temujin View Drop Down
King
King
Sirdar Bahadur

Quote Temujin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Sep-2007 at 14:47
yes exactly, even though they can claim it as "righteous cause". Brazil was released without fight, so Britain at least didn't backstabbed their oldest ally.
Justinian View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
King of Númenor

Quote Justinian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Sep-2007 at 22:21
I concede your point about Spain, but as I understand it that was the traditional british strategy for war on the continent; attack the enemy from a secondary front or open up one and bleed him dry.  Worked utterly brilliant against Napoleon.  (Bleeding ulcer and all)  Though helping spain was simply a positive side effect.  (Perhaps debatable whether it was even positive)

The british supported the latin american independence movement?  Wouldn't that back up my point considering the independence movements were against the very recent british allies, the portuguese and spain?Geek

Temujin View Drop Down
King
King
Sirdar Bahadur

Quote Temujin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Sep-2007 at 17:21
well, the Cape Colony used to be Dutch before Waterloo... Ermm and the British support for Latin American idnependence...who again helped Spain against Napoleon? Geek
Justinian View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
King of Númenor

Quote Justinian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Sep-2007 at 13:21
Originally posted by Peteratwar

Originally posted by Justinian

I'll have to check my sources, but the one I was specifically thinking of was the war of the spanish succession.  Where the british concluded a secret peace with the french leaving the austrians out in the cold after agreeing that there would be no separate peaces or ones concluded without the consult of the other allies.  Prince Eugene of Savoy by Nicholas Henderson is my main biography source for that, the titles of the more general histories on that subject have evaded my memory.  I also mean't to include how they would drag other powers into a war using monetary stipends then negate on their promises. 

I will admit that I am making some sweeping generalizations here and I very well could be wrong.  But I believe I have some basis for my statement and will hold to it until proven otherwise.

It was more general war weariness and some parties not being happy with what they were getting as opposed to what they wanted. Your suggestions are not really correct and are fasr too widely drawn. In any event I don't really think this has anything to do with Napoleon, a great but flawed man.
Could you elaborate on why my suggestions are incorrect?  You seem to know a good deal about it, I would appreciate if you could perhaps give me some insights that I have missed.

Peteratwar View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Peteratwar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Sep-2007 at 08:55

I'll have to check my sources, but the one I was specifically thinking of was the war of the spanish succession.  Where the british concluded a secret peace with the french leaving the austrians out in the cold after agreeing that there would be no separate peaces or ones concluded without the consult of the other allies.  Prince Eugene of Savoy by Nicholas Henderson is my main biography source for that, the titles of the more general histories on that subject have evaded my memory.  I also mean't to include how they would drag other powers into a war using monetary stipends then negate on their promises. 

I will admit that I am making some sweeping generalizations here and I very well could be wrong.  But I believe I have some basis for my statement and will hold to it until proven otherwise.

It was more general war weariness and some parties not being happy with what they were getting as opposed to what they wanted. Your suggestions are not really correct and are fasr too widely drawn. In any event I don't really think this has anything to do with Napoleon, a great but flawed man.
Justinian View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
King of Númenor

Quote Justinian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Sep-2007 at 02:06

Edited by Justinian - 02-Sep-2007 at 02:08

Challenger2 View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel
Suspended

Quote Challenger2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Sep-2007 at 04:55

Very well said.  The british were fighting for continued dominance of the seas and balance on the continent to further their own interests.  Throughout the early modern period the british would abandon their allies without a second thought when their interests were secure.  Whether that is better or worse than how the continental powers waged war I do not honestly know.  Just another way to show how the british were always at the head of the class.  They were waging war like the modern world, whereas the continental powers were still fighting like their ancestors.  History is written by the victors-- isn't that the truth.

I was just cruising  the forum and came upon your post.  Remind me, just which ally[ies] did we abandon without a second thought when our interests were secure?
Justinian View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
King of Númenor

Quote Justinian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Aug-2007 at 21:55
Very well said.  The british were fighting for continued dominance of the seas and balance on the continent to further their own interests.  Throughout the early modern period the british would abandon their allies without a second thought when their interests were secure.  Whether that is better or worse than how the continental powers waged war I do not honestly know.  Just another way to show how the british were always at the head of the class.  They were waging war like the modern world, whereas the continental powers were still fighting like their ancestors.  History is written by the victors-- isn't that the truth.

Joinville View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Joinville Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Aug-2007 at 08:03
Just gonna prod this a little more:

I think there are specific problems with the rather traditional British concern with "Bony, the Corsican Ogre".

It's not really very consistent, if it is claimed to be due to Napoleons position as a dictator and the terrible plight of people under his rule.

Of course he was a dictator. He was in a sense the first liberal progressive dictator of the 19th c., of which there were subsequently many. And obviously Napoleonic France don't look to good compared to its contemporary British society.

The thing is just that at the time it wasn't Napoleon's status of dictator and any real or percieved lack of civil rights for the French public, or anyone else, which concerned the British. It was the fact that 1) he was and usurper of the legitimate royal power of the Bourbons, the UK after all being a monarchy, 2) leading a France on the up and up, raising the traditional British concern about any single continental power dominating the rest, which seems a reasonable bit of Realpolitik.

The problem is that the reason everyone else fought him was that 1) like the British saw it, he was an usurper of legitimate royal power, but also 2) that he was leading a reforming society which looked, with reason, like an absolute death threat to the, by the Grace of Good, dynastic powers of the Bourbons, Hapsburgs, Hohenzollerns and Romanovs of Europe.

That's the thing. If the British at the time had actually cared a fig about the political and civil rights of the French, and continentals in general, they would have noticed that they were allying themselves with a set of nasty autocratic absolute monarchies looking rather worse than Napoleonic France. Had political and civil rights been the real concern, Britian would likely have done better by allying itself with Napoleon to fight these Bourbons, Hapsburgs, Hohenzollerns and Romanovs on the behalf of ordinary Europeans. Or at least stay out of it.

Which means that retrospectively gunning for Napoleon as this terrible despot looks either slightly ahistorical or slightly hypocritical.

One can observe what happened with Napoleon gone: Metternich et al. attempts to restore things to a form of status quo ante, with the Bourbons back on the throne of France. Any future threat of revolution is supposed to be dealt with by a European concert of great powers, with Britian involved as a member.
And then in the early 1820's already, the new first wave of revolutions after the French hits southern Europe, Naples and Spain and suchlike. Only they are aborted, because the monarchic autocracies Austria, Prussia, France and Russia all jump in and dispatch forces. These put down the attempt with such bloodshed that the British withdraws from the European concert in disgust. That's kind of what it gets for getting into bed with these powers. When the Spanish resisted Napoleon the Spaniards were fine fellows. When the made revolution, they were dangerous and had to be put down.

The issue isn't really who spread democracy, political and and civil rights over Europe during the Napoleonic wars. Obvioulsy no one did. Napoleon didn't, he was a French dictator and his liberal reforms elsewhere were geared towards other aspects of society. But neither did Britain, and the royal autocracies Britain allied itself with certainly didn't.

So the British role in the Napoleonic wars wasn't anything like a simple brave resistance to Bony the Tyrant. It also extended the warranty on continental royal autocracy. Which is why the continent still went through half a century of recurrent spasms of revolution after Napoleon.
One must not insult the future.
Joinville View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Joinville Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Aug-2007 at 07:18
Originally posted by Gargoyle

Well some Nazi's cared enough to try and Assasinate Hiter.

So did some French royalists, several times. There's always the most famous one to consider, where poor little Petronille, 6, was asked by this nice man to hold the horse, coupled to the carriage filled with explosives set of by clockwork, oblitterating Petronille, the horse, the carriage and the better part of a Paris street, in an attempt on Napoleon's life by the royalists bankrolled by the UK.

Of course Napoleon played upon exactly these characteristics when reporting it, and his fortunate escape (Josephine was late out of the theatre), which made just about the entire French public turn against the royalists as cowards sacrificing children where they lacked the guts to lay down their lives for their conviction. Britian got hit in the spray as well.
One must not insult the future.
Justinian View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
King of Númenor

Quote Justinian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Aug-2007 at 22:19

Some excellent points have been made, especially by findlay and winterhaze.  I went with Legendary emperor.  Napoleon brought a lot of great things to france and europe as a whole.  As has been said he was a benevolent dictator. (an excellent way to categorize his rule)  From the advancement based on merit in the military, the legion of honor, bringing back of the catholic church under the state's control, code napoleon, also as others have said the people lived much better under his term in office.  If he was a bad ruler and an evil tyrant I doubt the people would love him to the degree that they did.  (vive l'empereurBig%20smile) I agree that he started to become influenced by his seeming infallability and that it went to his head later in his dictatorship. (after the defeat of austria and prussia or thereabouts)  In regards to naming himself emperor, to my knowledge the main reason for that was the assassination attempt on his life by royalists supported by britain that made him concerned about what would happen  if he was killed.  Also naming himself emperor made him "fit in" a bit better with the other powers of europe.  Someone mentioned the royal marriages as a way to cement alliances; exactly.  Napoleon put his family on thrones because of the corsican obsession with family and because many times there was no-one else to fill the role.  What perplexes me is why people see him as this tyrant that for the good of humanity had to be beaten.  He was so far above the other rulers and countries of the time, this idea is a complete farce.  Many examples and reasons have been brought forth to defend this. 

I had a question to all the people who talk about napoleons unlimited ambition.  I have read a few books on napoleon (5-10) ranging from very much pro-napoleon to anti-napoleon and all of them have given me the impression that napoleon was forced to fight the other powers over and over again not because he wanted to conquer them but because they just kept declaring war on him.  It must be because he immediately took the offensive that it seems that way.  Austria is a good example of this.  Whoever said napoleon was too lenient is definitely on to something.  I mean my god I wonder why he even bothered making treaties with austria or anyone else, they didn't honor them even remotely.  Britain throws around some gold and its saber rattling time. (Only to get their butts handed to them time and again, just shows how terrified of napoleon and this new organism that had been created by the revolution the other powers were.  The right thing to have done would have been to accept him and perhaps look at themselves and their own system of rule.  I mean after 15+ years of almost endless fighting your plans are simply to put a Louis back on the throne and pretend the last 20+ years didn't happen!?  Big suprise the events of 1848 and so on came about; they just had to keep ignoring the wind of change.Ermm)  Anyway I was just wondering what the school of thought behind the anti-napoleon view was.

Also Napoleon was not a hypocrite.  He never embraced the revolution like some people seem to think, as was said before he was an opportunist.  He was the type of person who went with the flow.  Napoleon accepted the revolution and moved on to other matters, some may bring up how he was friends with Robespierre's brother (can't remember his first name); very true, but that was because he was an excellent general who fought for france and didn't seem to have any political convictions other than those of the current authority, not because he was a jacobin at heart who embraced the revolution with open arms.

I know this thread has been dormant for a while, but I just had to express my opinions on one of the most intriguing, and one of my favorite, figures from history.Smile

Mariusz View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote Mariusz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Jun-2006 at 16:20

In fact, the most of napoleonic wars had taken place, not because of Napoleons will.

- The first Italian Campaign was part of French contr-offensive. The Austrians attacked French Republic and in years 1796-97 Bonaparte defeated the invaders on their own background.

- The Egyptian Campaign (1798-99) also took place after Great Britain had declared war on France.

- The second Italian Campaign (1800) was result of Austrian and Russian attack on Italy and
southern France.

- In 1805 GB made pact with Austrians (who hated Napoleon as much as the English) and with Russia. Thanks to his secret services Bonaparte knew about plans of enemies. The effect of meeting of French and English battleships was the battle of Trafalgar.

- Frederick the III, Prussian ruler, send ultimatum (1 oct 1806) to Napoleon. He wanted French troops out of German soil. In response Bonaparte destroyed Prussian army during one day (14 oct 06). In the name of old monarchies solidarity, tsar Alexander attacked Napoleon (war of 1807)

- The beginning of next war (1809-1810) was caused by Napoleons enemies intrigues and dynasty argues which changed into Spanish national uprising afterwards.

- The campaign of 1812 had many aspects. Russia officially ally of French Empire was simply breaking the rules of the Tylza pact (signed in 1807) by trading with England (continental blockade). The atmosphere of friendship was quite cold, tsar was afraid of Napoleons ambitions. The war seemed to be an obvious solution, the question was who will attack first? Napoleon was not used to wait. We should also remember that the little corporal had brought freedom to many nations. Bonapartes propaganda called that war Polish campaign because the Poles wanted to take back independence from Russia (in 1812 small Polish state - Warsaw Grand Dutch created army of 100,000, the most of them over Emperor rule, the rest of soldiers led by Prince Joseph Poniatowski)

- Conflicts which occurred after 1813 were typical self-defense wars of French Empire.

If someone likes I could also explain why Napoleons soldiers loved him so much that long time after his failure they told their grandchildren to pray kneeing in front of the Emperors statues.  

Gargoyle View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Gargoyle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-May-2006 at 02:36

Thankyou cattus,

I'll look into getting a copy.

cattus View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Quote cattus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-May-2006 at 11:58
Gargoyle, I can recommend 'Napoleon and His Parents' by Dorothy Carrington. She has had special access to family archives and is considered an authority on his family.
Gargoyle View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Gargoyle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-May-2006 at 11:24

Napoleon was definitely not worse than Hitler. It pleases my heart that you actually judge my posts Emperor Barbarossa. Please, will you give me the honour of judging this post out of 10.

We often hear of Napoleon the Military genius or Emperor. But who exactly was Napoleon the Man? What were his most important early influences and experiences that formed Napoleon the Man? I was looking through my book collection today and found a now out of print interesting book about Napoleons Mother. It is called: A Pride of Lions - a portrait of Napoleons Mother, by Monica Stirling. I think that to really understand Napoleon we first must understand his Family. I will share a small passage from the book with you.....

On June 3rd, 1764, a beautiful Corsican girl of nearly fourteen was married in Ajaccio Catherdral to Carlo Maria Buonaparte, an eighteen year old law student whose family belonged to the islands nobility. Born Letizia Ramolino, this girl was to enter history as Napoleons mother, and while she owes her fame to her son, he owed her the powerful temperament that made his achievements possible.

Although Corsica was just then about to revolt once more against the domination of the Genoese Republic, political tension did not spoil the wedding celebrations. Political conflict was commonplace in this often invaded island, but the spectacle of a bride such as Letizia was rare. Ever since she was a small child, her black eyes, classical features, perfect teeth and chestnut coloured hair had caused people to point her out to strangers as "Ajaccio's little marvel," and cathedral gossips said that her presence at mass was "more effective than an anchorite's virtue" in obtaining conversions. On her wedding day the dramatic effect of Letizia's beauty was heightened by an escourt of more than fifty handsome and energetic male cousins. In a country where the Vendetta remained a popular form of justice, male relatives were as valuble a part of a girl's dowry as land, houses or money. (Later when the English occupied Corsica, seventeen of these "terrible cousins" successfully ambushed fifty four of the invaders.)

Of Italian origin, the Ramolinos were related to the Coll'Alto family that dominated Lombardy in the fourteenth century and settled in Corsica, the third largest island in the Mediterranean, about a hundered years later. In 1745, Letizia's father, Gian Girolamo Ramolino, captain of the garrison at Ajaccio, had married Angela Maria di Pietra Santa, a young girl who came of an old Corsican family and grew up at Bocognano, a mountain village rich in bandits, vendettas and giant chestnut trees. Over half a century later, Napoleon said of Angela Maria di Pietra Santa that when an "argument" arose, his maternal grandmother could summon between two and three hundered militant mountaineers to support her side of it.....

I hope you enjoyed that. Does anyone out there know of any other books specifically relating to Napoleons family? Or do you have an opinion about the influence Napoleons family played in his Empire? Please share it.   

.....They say he's dead! Dead! They obviously don't know him. That's just to trick the people and keep them quiet.....Listen. The truth is his friends have left him alone in the desert, to fulfil a prophecy, because I forgot to tell you that the name Napoleon means 'Lion of the Desert'.....
BALZAC: Le medecin de Campagne.

Emperor Barbarossa View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Emperor Barbarossa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-May-2006 at 07:57
Originally posted by mamikon

I cant believe people are comparing Napoleon with Hitler...Napoleon stood for everything Hitler was not.

Some members (like Gargoyle) will probably tell you that Napoleon was worse than Hitler, judging by the quality of his last post.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 8>