Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Does Hijab reduce the beauty of Iranian girls?!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
vj View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Online Status: Offline
  Quote vj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Does Hijab reduce the beauty of Iranian girls?!
    Posted: 27-Jul-2014 at 04:31
vj View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote vj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Jul-2014 at 04:18

they are pretty with hijab...arent they?
Centrix Vigilis View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Quote Centrix Vigilis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Aug-2012 at 19:49
Not particularly.... as I would and have been more concerned with their elimination. When the moderate democratic minded gain control we can renegotiate.
"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"

S. T. Friedman

Pilger's law: 'If it's been officially denied, then it's probably true'

Mountain Man View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Mountain Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Aug-2012 at 18:59
Originally posted by Centrix Vigilis

True enough suppose but they don't all necessarily like eh....see: Iranians Use Facebook To Say 'No' To Compulsory Hijab

Facebook!?  That's the corrupt and morally decadent invention of the Great Satan!@  They could be put to death for such an act of apostasy!  LOL

Ever wonder why the Middle Eastern nations that hate the West so much have to have Western technology in order to survive?  They can't even manufacture their own explosives.  Ever wonder how the radicals rationalize that paradox?
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
Emperor
Emperor

Quote Centrix Vigilis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Aug-2012 at 03:36
True enough suppose but they don't all necessarily like eh....see: Iranians Use Facebook To Say 'No' To Compulsory Hijab

S. T. Friedman

Mountain Man View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Mountain Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Aug-2012 at 13:30
It's kind of hard to say, since we have no "without" image to compare to.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
Emperor
Emperor

Quote Centrix Vigilis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-May-2012 at 19:20
To wear out an already worn out saying: You can gauge the greatness of a country or advanced society by the way they treat their women, children, elders and animals. Still rings true...
99% correct...but you forgot their veterans. As for this thread......the use or non use does not detract from their inherent physical and spiritual beauty.....as to men's domination of the fair sex.....yep been that way a long time. And as long as controlling factors concerning power accumulation and the use thereof remains in the hands primarily of men then expect more.

S. T. Friedman

Ekundayo View Drop Down
Housecarl
Housecarl

Quote Ekundayo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-May-2012 at 17:41
Originally posted by Don Quixote

Ekundayo, where is the text in your 3 last posts?Confused

Nuke I thought the videos spoke for themselves, no need for my commentary! LOL I've already made my position and opinion clear.

"I'm not sure if the Women History subforum has such a thread, but in any case, if Ekundayo or anyone else wants to make such a thread I'll be most happy to comment and share my opinion there."

I would say that my replies are precisely in the thread they need to be. With over 18,000 views of a post concerning whether a woman's "beauty" suffers from wearing a religiously imposed head covering, perhaps someone viewing these videos and reading the posts will realize that this is not about 'women's rights", this is about freedom in all of its forms. Arab Spring? Rubbish. The day to day reality for women in those countries has only worsened. To wear out an already worn out saying: You can gauge the greatness of a country or advanced society by the way they treat their women, children, elders and animals. Still rings true...

"When you allow man's decisions to touch you, you have given away your God-given power,You have to say:"I don't recognize man as my maker or my keeper."Have faith in God and you will be rewarded."ESU
Don Quixote View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Retired AE Moderator

Quote Don Quixote Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-May-2012 at 15:47
The OP here is specifically abut the effect of hijab on the beauty of women who wear it, not about the full face covering, or hiqab; neither the full body covering, the burqa; but I agree that it's impossible to discuss that out f the context of the question of women's rights. However I personally prefer to save my thoughts on the huge problem of the lack of womens' rights in quite a few countries in a thread that is made especially for that. I'm not sure if the Women History subforum has such a thread, but in any case, if Ekundayo or anyone else wants to make such a thread I'll be most happy to comment and share my opinion there.

Btw, i have an interesting example about Turkey - there the hidjab is forbidden to be worn in universities, as part pf the secularization program of the country; but the last years, large amount of women are making demonstrations against what they call 'destroying their human rights to wear hijab'. Now, take it any way you want, but many young women refuse to go to university because they are not allowed to wear the hijab there. This in part is a result of the processes of what I cannot yet call 'islamisation'./but it may go there/ that had been resulting in straitening the position of Islam on expense of the civil rights /one example is that a pianist of world fame has been threatened with jail for making a remark bout religion of tweet, something in the sense that whoever believes in religion is or not very bright or a thief/.

However, the worse thing is that the women in those demonstrations really feel that their right to wear hijab had been violated - you may call this romanticism, it doesn't really matter; what matters is that they are there to demnstrate nt because they are forced to wear it, but because they want to. Human psyche is a delicate thing, and sometimes the best way to make something popular is to forbid it. How is it going to end - I don't know, but I'm worrying that Turkey may slip from the secuarism that has been it's lifeblood in the last almost century and lose on a gigantic scale.

Edited by Don Quixote - 29-May-2012 at 17:02
Tsar
Tsar

Retired AE Moderator

Quote Don Quixote Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-May-2012 at 15:34
Ekundayo, where is the text in your 3 last posts?Confused
Baal Melqart View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Baal Melqart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-May-2012 at 15:30
It's a shame... People should be allowed to wear what they wish to wear!
Timidi mater non flet
Ekundayo View Drop Down
Housecarl
Housecarl

Quote Ekundayo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-May-2012 at 14:33
"When you allow man's decisions to touch you, you have given away your God-given power,You have to say:"I don't recognize man as my maker or my keeper."Have faith in God and you will be rewarded."ESU
Ekundayo View Drop Down
Housecarl
Housecarl

Quote Ekundayo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-May-2012 at 14:30
Ekundayo View Drop Down
Housecarl
Housecarl

Quote Ekundayo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-May-2012 at 14:22
Ekundayo View Drop Down
Housecarl
Housecarl

Quote Ekundayo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-May-2012 at 14:09

Aaaaaaand, we have another example....rest assured the comments calling her a slut were written in Arabic.

Saudi woman defies religious police over nail polish

AFPAFP – 3 hrs ago

A YouTube video of a Saudi woman defying orders by the notorious religious police to leave a mall because she is wearing nail polish has gone viral, attracting more than a million hits in just five days.

The three and a half minute video posted on May 23 shows members of the Commission for the Promotion of Virtue and Prevention of Vice telling the women to "get out of here (the mall)."

But she refuses to comply, saying: "I'm staying and I want to know what you're going to do about."

"It's none of your business if I wear nail polish," the unidentified woman, who is not seen on tape, is heard shouting at bearded men from the feared religious force.

"You are not in charge of me," she defiantly shouts back, referring to new constraints imposed earlier this year on the religious police banning them from harassing Saudi women over their behaviour and attire.

"The government has banned you from coming after us," she told the men, adding "you are only supposed to provide advice, and nothing more."

In January, Saudi King Abdullah appointed a moderate to head the religious police raising hopes that a more lenient force will ease draconian social constraints in the Islamic country.

Two weeks into his post, Sheikh Abdullatif Abdel Aziz al-Sheikh banned volunteers from serving in the commission which enforces the kingdom's strict Islamic rules.

And in April he went further prohibiting the religious police from "harassing people" and threatening "decisive measures against violators."

As of Monday, the video was viewed more than 1,142,000 times, with over 12,000 people posting comments online, most of them denouncing the woman's behaviour.

One posting said she had "no shame" and accused her of "prostituting" herself.

Another called her a "slut" and a "whore."

The clip earned only about 1800 "likes." The number of "dislikes" reached almost 7000.

The woman filmed the incident herself and posted it on YouTube. At one point during the video, she cautions the religious police that she has already posted the exchange online.

It is also not clear if the woman was eventually forced to leave the mall.

The religious police prevent women from driving, require them to be covered from head to foot in black, ban public entertainment, and force all commerce, from supermarkets to petrol stations, to come to a halt at prayer times, five times a day.

Ekundayo View Drop Down
Housecarl
Housecarl

Quote Ekundayo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-May-2012 at 02:55
Head scarves work well to protect the hair from the sun, dust and grit of Harmattan but to me they represent whichever ruling party is in control-- by thuggery or otherwise. I'm sure you can find millions of women who will wax poetic over being forced to wear their modest burqas and attire but since most were born into being forced to wear them, not much to talk about there. The eeediots who patrol the streets looking for women to whip, arrest and imprison for showing an ankle or elbow (gasp!) are just small time henchmen for the true root of women's misery: the imams and whichever flavor of the decade is trying to ram their ideology down the populace's throat.

I see nothing attractive in women flapping about like crows in 100 degree heat, covered from fingertip to head to toe in black cloth with a small net opening for her to navigate her way through excrement- filled streets. I've seen enough and lived close enough to the misery that is a woman's own when she has the misfortune to be born into a Muslim family--converted due to jihad a century or more ago or whether born into it for centuries.

There are thousands upon thousands of child "brides"(long abandoned) languishing in hospitals (the lucky ones) or living on the streets in squalor and disgrace suffering from vaginal and anal fistulas. This occurs when a girl-child is married off and forcibly raped or simply from having sex when the body is not mature enough.The area between the anus and vaginal canal is ruptured, causing feces and urine to leak when and where it should not. Childbirth many times leaves these young girls with a fistula. They are then abandoned in disgrace by their loving husbands who caused the problem, and their own families will not take them back.

Don't even get me started on shari'a law as practiced in West Africa.

I've personally witnessed the daily humiliations Muslim women face and interacted daily with Muslim men. Trust me, they have issues with body parts. My neatly manicured toes peeping out of sandals can easily become the erotic fodder that sets one over the edge into uncontrollable lust-and we're not even talking about living in a predominately Muslim area of the country. It is a permeating influence within Christian majority areas...can't seem to escape if you are a woman.

The images above might seem romantic--if you appreciate women as nothing more than painted dolls to be propped up and sat in a corner, not speaking until spoken to, compliant, moldable and submissive above all.

Women's beauty and the trappings for women stemming from a religious ideology are dangerous areas to tread. When men are finally held accountable and  responsible (and their ideologies) for their direct participation in the rape, abuse and killing of Muslim women, then perhaps we can discuss the niceties of a piece of cloth being draped or not over the head of a woman.

In no way am I making a commentary on Iran or the beauty of Iranian women. I just think the world would be a better place if we could all look a little deeper into how women are subjugated and controlled by dress, societal and religious constraints due to patriarchal ideologies. Not fun.
Tsar
Tsar

Retired AE Moderator

Quote Don Quixote Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Mar-2012 at 00:34
Hijab can be turned into a beautiful hair adornment, it's not necessary to reduce one's beauty.
http://www.everythingislamic.com/ProdImages/SM_hijab_0549.jpg

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-8lBeU_UTLMQ/TueqsHimnhI/AAAAAAAABj0/sfdNQUkdqn0/s640/5.jpg

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-xQSf-zrmdII/TueqnjugW4I/AAAAAAAABjU/r0poc9fbG-o/s640/1.jpg

However, to make women to wear uniforms of any kind and cover their beauty only because some guy may not be able to control himself in the sight of couple of curls is nothing less than sexism, IMHO. There is no modesty in that, only oppression. Everyone should be allowed to wear what they want to, and it's up to them to decide hijab of not hijab. I have the sense that the women commonly walking the streets of a random Iranian village are not waring any of the beautiful hijabs I posted here, and the very idea of wearing it is not to adorn the female face, but to hide it's natural beauty, for whatever male possessionist ideas - and this is taking away women's choices, nothing less. 
TheAlaniDragonRising View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Spam Fighter

Quote TheAlaniDragonRising Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Jan-2012 at 06:21
Originally posted by Arab

To answer your question, Bahain is relatively more liberal compared to neighboring countries, but because a large portion of the people are shi'ites, events in Iran (biggest shi'ite country and also neighboring to Bahrain) will inevitably have a considerable influence on the culture here. Many shi'ites here admire Khomeini even if they generally dislike Iran. After the Iranian Revolution shi'ite women were prompted to wear the hijab and it caught on with most of the population.
Thank you, Arab, for your answer. I don't think that there can be too many people who have not seen, or heard of, charismatic figures having a great deal of influence on people's lives.
What a handsome figure of a dragon. No wonder I fall madly in love with the Alani Dragon now, the avatar, it's a gorgeous dragon picture.
Arab View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Arab Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Jan-2012 at 18:08
Originally posted by TheAlaniDragonRising

Originally posted by Baal Melqart

In my experience when people get something into their mind it can be hard to shake, and taboos are one of those things.
Well, I guess you're right. But then do not forget that it is first and foremost a religious commandment. It's a bit like drinking alcohol, the religion prohibits it but some people may not follow it very strictly...
You maybe right in that regard, Baal Melqart, but what changes people to following wearing the Hijab more as a society, when it hadn't been done in big numbers as suggested by one of the other posters. I take it the people of the country didn't see themselves as being unrighteous when fewer people were wearing them, so why the change of heart?

Come on, man! Arab was talking about the 60's, a time when talking about morals was pretty much a joke. It was a time when AC/DC was singing 'The Highway To Hell' and a liberal way of life was spreading all over the world.

To answer your question, those who stuck to a conservative way of life would have definitely frowned upon them. But then again you can't force people to adopt a lifestyle, they need to realise it for themselves.
I thought the significance was that he was talking about the country he is in, and comparing it to these days. I'm only asking why the situation changed so people would change their attitude to wearing the Hijab, and asking if they considered themselves less moral in their beliefs before hand. As for forcing people to adopt a life style, I guess it depends. If people believe they are being frowned upon, or even persecuted maybe, then they might feel it easier to comply sometimes to have an easier life. If you're talking about a situation where a society changes to one where something is followed, as with the Hijab, I have no idea, though that's why I was asking.

To answer your question, Bahain is relatively more liberal compared to neighboring countries, but because a large portion of the people are shi'ites, events in Iran (biggest shi'ite country and also neighboring to Bahrain) will inevitably have a considerable influence on the culture here. Many shi'ites here admire Khomeini even if they generally dislike Iran. After the Iranian Revolution shi'ite women were prompted to wear the hijab and it caught on with most of the population.
TheAlaniDragonRising View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Spam Fighter

Quote TheAlaniDragonRising Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Jan-2012 at 15:49

In my experience when people get something into their mind it can be hard to shake, and taboos are one of those things.
Well, I guess you're right. But then do not forget that it is first and foremost a religious commandment. It's a bit like drinking alcohol, the religion prohibits it but some people may not follow it very strictly...
You maybe right in that regard, Baal Melqart, but what changes people to following wearing the Hijab more as a society, when it hadn't been done in big numbers as suggested by one of the other posters. I take it the people of the country didn't see themselves as being unrighteous when fewer people were wearing them, so why the change of heart?

Come on, man! Arab was talking about the 60's, a time when talking about morals was pretty much a joke. It was a time when AC/DC was singing 'The Highway To Hell' and a liberal way of life was spreading all over the world.

To answer your question, those who stuck to a conservative way of life would have definitely frowned upon them. But then again you can't force people to adopt a lifestyle, they need to realise it for themselves.
I thought the significance was that he was talking about the country he is in, and comparing it to these days. I'm only asking why the situation changed so people would change their attitude to wearing the Hijab, and asking if they considered themselves less moral in their beliefs before hand. As for forcing people to adopt a life style, I guess it depends. If people believe they are being frowned upon, or even persecuted maybe, then they might feel it easier to comply sometimes to have an easier life. If you're talking about a situation where a society changes to one where something is followed, as with the Hijab, I have no idea, though that's why I was asking.
What a handsome figure of a dragon. No wonder I fall madly in love with the Alani Dragon now, the avatar, it's a gorgeous dragon picture.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>