Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Who do turks consider closer

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>
Author
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Who do turks consider closer
    Posted: 15-Sep-2005 at 10:41

We must not also forget Turkey is muslim as I said, giving them more cultural ties to the Middle East, which I believe Turkey is a middle eastern country. And since Greece is a european country, Turks will feel more "realted" towards other Middle eastern countries because of common religion, culture, and historic ties.

Yes, Turkey is a Middle Eastern country. But Turkey isnt Muslim. It is secular. You can say most Anatolian Turks are Muslims. But we have Sunnites (majority), Alevis (around %20), Bektashis, even Naqshibendis here. And religion isnt whant makes us familiar with Iran. It actually seperates us, even from Azeris, because they're Shias. But noone cares about that. Iranian culture is very similar with us, especially with anatolian culture rather than the Istanbulite and Rumelian/Aegean culture. You cant differ a mosque in Istanbul from a church in Serbia, and you cant differ a pre-Ottoman madrasa in Konya or Sivas (anatolian cities) from one in Tehran.

About historical ties, our historical ties with Greeks are no less than with Syrians or Georgians. But there is a diference btw our similarities with Armenians and our similarities with Greeks. Armenians are Anatolians, most Kurds are Anatolians (culturally), Laz are Anatolians etc. But Greeks arent. Of course we have lots of things in common with them, including some cultural features, but it is mainly for Aegean Turks. Most of Anatolia is much more familiar with Armenians, Kurds or even Iran than they're with Greeks.

*edit - someone wants to talk on Greece - do it in another topic*

have the same core values, mannerisms and spirit

I agree.

[QUOTE] The mixing of Iranian and Turkish culture started 1800 years ago in Central Asia[/QU(OTE]

Yes. We have always lived together. Especially with Sogdians and Saka.

Edited by Yiannis
Arpad View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Arpad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Sep-2005 at 10:16
Originally posted by Zagros

Np, Day.

Originally posted by Yiannis

[QUOTE=Zagros]As for Azeries, Azeries are culturally and racially the same as Iranians QUOTE]

I can agree to that. I've spend 6 months in Tehran and met with many people. I could almost always tell if someone was Armenian or Uzbek, but I could never distinguish Azeris from Persians.

Out of interest, can I ask when and why you were in Iran?

Arpad, some Azeris feel Turkish some feel Persian (and I mean Persian), I speak from my own experience. Like I have mentioned to you in PM< the interaction between Iranians of all ethnicities is profound and many families are multi-ethnic including my own. We have Persian, Kurdish and Azeri (more recent additions through marriage).  

But I can't speak about the situation in Tabriz, as I have never been there.  My dad's friend is from Zanjan and my cousin's husband is from Tabriz. 

Ya zagros you are right, its just personall opinion i guess. And situation isnt much different in tebriz, however many people in tebriz feel equally close to azerbaican (aeris) and turkey. But in general the azeris in iran feel very close to iran like my family, we celeberate all the iranain festivals etc like iranians. So yea but if turkey was in world cup i would go for them ,and iran same, but if both were like next year i think i would go for iran then turkey, mainly coz we are from iran but also i really want them to do weell, turkey had their turn in 2002, now its our turn )..

I have to agree with a few posts made above, i always had the feeling turks and iranians are very close, and share close ties , as in cultural etc, but never knew what the turks themselves felt, , , thats why i created the topic. btw i have a friend who is from trabzon he also went for iran in 98, and he feels very close to iran,

Also im not sure about if they do in tehran and other cities but in tebriz certainly we have fortune telling from turkich cofee, im not sure the origin but i know they do in turkey aswell,,, so there shows another smiilarity,. And i think turkey can be european and still consider iran close, its not that just because you consider yourself closer to a 'non-european' that you are no longer allowed to join europe gang. Culture is what is important, not name,, europe is just a name for a body of countrys, i for one am proud to come from a region ner mesopotamia and middle east, the worlds main religions were made here, the first civilisations, it is the most culturally rich place in the world, a crossroads for 3 different groups of people , aryan, semitic, and alteyic. OOhe yea another thing is turkish and iranian men smoke alot ALOT! , and also love moustaches  but then againe same can be said for araps and greek people.

Ok on a personal note here, i absolutely LOVE istanbul, it is one of my favourite cities in the world, and few of my most favourite things, was the shere amount of mosques that are in the city, and every soingle one very beutiful, and the beutiful sound of the nemaz every time it is said just makes you feel so good, and sends a chill up your spine. And i love the Biz bazaar (i think thats what is called) and the blue mosque is unforgettabel...

i also love that the city is an 'east meets west' city , every were you go you see western and eastern civilisation and culture living side by side wich is trully fantastic.

Edited by Arpad
Mortaza View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote Mortaza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Sep-2005 at 08:58

Ok some of them?

Some of them? Sorry but I am not aware of this big love to greece, and bigger hate to Iran.

And I should say, I lived at Istanbul, not now living in Ankara, two biggest city and If there were a match Iran vs Greece, I think most probably Turks will support Iran. this has nothing with Muslim vs kafir.

Or what is reason of our love to brazilians?

Zagros Infact realy realy a tiny minority interest with this European wanna be  position, Our aim is money, not European culture.

You can easyly saw this, with Turkish support to EU. when our economy is bad, support rise, and when It goes good, support fall.

Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Quote Zagros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Sep-2005 at 08:49

Np, Day.

Originally posted by Yiannis

[QUOTE=Zagros]As for Azeries, Azeries are culturally and racially the same as Iranians QUOTE]

I can agree to that. I've spend 6 months in Tehran and met with many people. I could almost always tell if someone was Armenian or Uzbek, but I could never distinguish Azeris from Persians.

Out of interest, can I ask when and why you were in Iran?

Arpad, some Azeris feel Turkish some feel Persian (and I mean Persian), I speak from my own experience. Like I have mentioned to you in PM< the interaction between Iranians of all ethnicities is profound and many families are multi-ethnic including my own. We have Persian, Kurdish and Azeri (more recent additions through marriage).  

But I can't speak about the situation in Tabriz, as I have never been there.  My dad's friend is from Zanjan and my cousin's husband is from Tabriz. 

DayI View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote DayI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Sep-2005 at 08:34

I meant if you think that distancing yourself from Iran makes you more European, then by all means, do so.  BUT - I feel that on a face to face level Turks and Iranians have the same core values, mannerisms and spirit.

Look we Turks never ever wannabe Europeans, even M. K. Atatrk didnt say that. I just wanna be myself, a good Muslim a good person deep in my heart, nothing less nothing more. I agree on that face to face level and rest.

Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Quote Zagros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Sep-2005 at 08:25

I meant if you think that distancing yourself from Iran makes you more European, then by all means, do so.  BUT - I feel that on a face to face level Turks and Iranians have the same core values, mannerisms and spirit.

The mixing of Iranian and Turkish culture started 1800 years ago in Central Asia.

Edited by Zagros
DayI View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote DayI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Sep-2005 at 08:20
Originally posted by Mortaza

most of Turkey chose to be closer with Greece

most of Turkey? 

Ok some of them.

DayI View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote DayI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Sep-2005 at 08:19

Yes but Ottomans thought iranians were Kaffir because they were Shia and vice versa..

Yea maybe it whas the biggest mistake of Ottoman empire to see Shia's and Alevi's as non-Muslim, but now everything is different. Shia is recognized as Islamic and we see them/you as Muslims.

I don't know you can deny the affinity all you like if you think it makes you more European, but it is definately there on a one to one (face to face) level.
What do you mean with this? I didnt get it good.

Mortaza View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote Mortaza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Sep-2005 at 08:07

most of Turkey chose to be closer with Greece

most of Turkey? 

Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Quote Zagros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Sep-2005 at 08:07
Yes but Ottomans thought iranians were Kaffir because they were Shia and vice versa. I don't know you can deny the affinity all you like if you think it makes you more European, but it is definately there on a one to one (face to face) level.
DayI View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote DayI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Sep-2005 at 08:05

I was in Turkey last during the world cup 98 and they were all with me supporting Iran and were almost as happy as me when we beat America.

Don't talk about genetics, this is cultural.

Ofcourse, if they play again they will support Iran for sure. Because we allways look from Ottoman perspective btw Muslim vs kafir.

Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Quote Zagros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Sep-2005 at 08:01

I was in Turkey last during the world cup 98 and they were all with me supporting Iran and were almost as happy as me when we beat America.

Don't talk about genetics, this is cultural.

Edited by Zagros
DayI View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote DayI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Sep-2005 at 07:49

Originally posted by tommy

I am Chinese. I know Chinese history. In ancient China, there were connections and war between Chinese and turks, and Chinese books talked about the origin of Turks.The books said that at first, turks were the servants of another nomadic group, chinese name of this group was You Yen, i do not know the english name of this group of people. may be there was some ethnical relation between these two groups of people.some Chinese books said that Huns were the ansectors of the Turks.

No doubt about that.

@Zagros

As for Azeries, Azeries are culturally and racially the same as Iranians as far as I am concerned, we are countrymen, my dad's best friend is Azeri and seriously they are indistinguishable from other Iranians and they have the same celebrations and religion.

I may disappoint you but youre wrong

You cant know the origin of the people by only their religious celeberations, just with genetical proofs and historical proofs.

I should be closer to Iran but Iran has to be closer to the Islamic country's on political part (issue between Pakistan and Hindus).

Something here i think its strange, most of guys here and most of Turkey chose to be closer with Greece. But weve lived almost 1000 years with Iran and other arabic country's you know so why not chosing them?

Arpad View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Quote Arpad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Sep-2005 at 06:06
by the way many people confuse me for armenian because of my last name safavian.  and also because i have light skin, which is pretty cool
Arpad View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Quote Arpad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Sep-2005 at 06:04

If you go to northern iran like tebriz and those areas, the people don't look iranian to many peopl. The reason is that iranian all over the country are iranian same people, however in the south the are bit darker and in north the are lighter, more they look like caucasian.  In tehran there is mix alot as they come from all areas to the big city.. So yes probably the armenians , uzbekhs, turcoman, afghans are more distinguishable from iranians and azeris. however many armenians i have seen look very much like iranians and i couldnt tell the difference until i knew they were armani, same thing with azeris, they mostly look iranian but there are few alsos who look very light skinned and some who are darker skinned. just like the iranians themselves, there are some very light and seom very dark. And also same in turkey , when i went there i saw kind of the same mix in tehran, few people with VERY light features, most looking caucaisan with olive skin and mediteranean looking. in istanbul i think there are many light skinned people though especially on turkish airways many of the airhostests are very light and could pass of as scandinavian easily, but once i went in to the streets etc., i didnt see anyone like them. So basically iran and turkey like greece, armenia, arab, itali , and many other countries in the same geogrpaghical line, ie., climate etc have people thats look the same and some different.

Yiannis View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote Yiannis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Sep-2005 at 04:15

The basis of a democratic state is liberty. Aristotle, Politics

Those that can give up essential liberty to obtain a temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin
Mortaza View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote Mortaza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Sep-2005 at 02:26

Suppose there is a footbal match (in World Cup) between Iran and Greece, then which team do the majority of people in Turkey support? I think this is an effecient way to test who do you think is closer to you.

Well Iran. Maybe Culturaly Turk are more closed to Greece, Even I am not sure about this. (After all religion was and is core of cultures)But Turks feeling are more close to Iran.

tommy View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote tommy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Sep-2005 at 01:57
I am Chinese. I know Chinese history. In ancient China, there were connections and war between Chinese and turks, and Chinese books talked about the origin of Turks.The books said that at first, turks were the servants of another nomadic group, chinese name of this group was You Yen, i do not know the english name of this group of people. may be there was some ethnical relation between these two groups of people.some Chinese books said that Huns were the ansectors of the Turks.
leung
strategos View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote strategos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Sep-2005 at 23:25

We must not also forget Turkey is muslim as I said, giving them more cultural ties to the Middle East, which I believe Turkey is a middle eastern country. And since Greece is a european country, Turks will feel more "realted" towards other Middle eastern countries because of common religion, culture, and historic ties.

http://theforgotten.org/intro.html
barbar View Drop Down
General
General
retired AE Moderator

Quote barbar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Sep-2005 at 22:22

Can we put it this way?

Suppose there is a footbal match (in World Cup) between Iran and Greece, then which team do the majority of people in Turkey support? I think this is an effecient way to test who do you think is closer to you.

I remeber, during last World Cup, my mother who is the least fan of football got so exited on every match that Turkey won and so depressed on the ones Turkey lost (twice to Brasil).

well, here you should also consider some other facts, like superstar effect.  We always give our preference first to Turkic countries, then to Islamic countries, then to countries with great teams with good players. However, when it comes to two Turkic contries, for example, Turkey and Uzbekistan, most of us support Turkey merely because we know well and love some good players, like Hasan Sas, Basturk etc, although we feel more closer to Uzbeks in every aspects.

What I mean is, aside from this effect, the way how the people support a team of a country does reflect for some degree the feeling of closeness of the people to that country.  

Either make a history or become a history.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>