Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

War In Afghannistan

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author
Sarmat View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Sarmat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: War In Afghannistan
    Posted: 28-Jun-2007 at 00:26

Originally posted by Moustafa Pasha

The Russian Army with more than 100,000 soldiers was defeated and left the country in shame. American and NATO troops which now number approx. 60,000 are  unable to defeat the Talibans, who recently swithched to guerilla tactics. My prognosis is unless more troops are sent in, victory will be hard to achieve.

I can't agree with that. It was anything but not a military defeat. Soviet army have won all the major military engagements and performed all the tactical tasks. The casualties after the 10 years of war were only 15 thous. KIA. While combined Afghan casualties were about a million with several hundred thousands mujaheddin military casualtues.

The reason for withdrawal was simply the nature of the war. You can't win antiguerilla war, unless you are prepared for a very long military presence, scourched earth tactics and massive repressions against insurgents' supportive population. (actually this is now starting to happen in Afghanistan again) All this coincided with the Political cirsis in SU and the end of the Cold War.

Anyway, it was not a military defeat of the Soviet Army. I would say it was a strategic defeat of the Soviet Foreign Policy.
Σαυρομάτης
Dan Carkner View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Dan Carkner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Jun-2007 at 22:58
More than 100,000 then, since that didn't work ?   I doubt there is a will to send that many more troops for a war that is increasingly unpopular..although then again, that didn't seem to stop the U.S. from constantly sending more troops to Iraq.
Moustafa Pasha View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote Moustafa Pasha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Jun-2007 at 16:33
The Russian Army with more than 100,000 soldiers was defeated and left the country in shame. American and NATO troops which now number approx. 60,000 are  unable to defeat the Talibans, who recently swithched to guerilla tactics. My prognosis is unless more troops are sent in, victory will be hard to achieve.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234