Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Expansionist States of Today

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 11>
Author
Southerneighbr View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Southerneighbr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Expansionist States of Today
    Posted: 18-Jul-2007 at 21:57
Originally posted by Neoptolemos

Originally posted by Southerneighbr

But Neoptolemeos you want to confine the discussion around waters.I distinctly said that the Treaties interpretation involves all the disputes the countries face,so the twisting is right there.

1.Yes, I confine the discussion around waters, because it was one of the two main arguments (the 2nd being Cyprus) that YOU used in your first post to "prove" Greece's expansionism. 

2.What you are basically claiming is that all the issues are a "package" and there are bilateral treaties (which you have yet to identify) that legally cover Turkey on ALL the disputes (therefore t.waters dispute as well). Well allow me to disagree with this.

3.A solid legal argument which reads as "this Law does not apply to me". We agree in this, as I have already posted it.

4.P.S.: "oh i know Greece is afraid Turkey will do the same it did in Cyprus...which is  only  outdated thinking"
I had to pick that out... So, what Turkey did in 1974 is outdated thinking and what Greece did in 1912-23 in not outdated. I see a MAJOR inconsistency there...

1.In fact i was intentionally refering to a package.I just picked the waters and slowly moved on.I refuse to downplay it and try to excuse Greece on the waters issue as to make her be a victim of Turkey's expansionism on Greek territory.

2.In fact yes that is what i am claiming.One being the billateral treaties and secondly the rest legal arguments Turkey brings.So it is a package of disputes no matter how hard Greece tries to say other way.At least in this one you dont need to be a lawyer to understand.

3.Thus agreeing that Turkey is legally covered on the waters issue as well,which is  what i said.No one is examining who is right or wrong(bsc i am not a lawyer) BUT if they have a legal  argument to oppose one another.

4.I have to be a bastard here.Greece was constantly medling in Cyprus,specially in the pre 1974 period.The Greek Cypriot side killed thousands of Turkish Cypriots and not even compared to the number of Greeks the Turks killed after the invasion.While i dont want the division to stand on the island i come to believe that Turkey's invasion ensured the survival of the Turkish minority on the island and only after the invasion there is peace in the island,prooving the inabbility and denial of the majority Greek Cypriots to co-habit with the minority Turks.Besides i didnt see Turkey accepting the invaded North as it's own sovereignity.So i see no expansionism there(meaning not a str8forward expansionism that is...merely hidden like Greece's)

Edited by Southerneighbr - 19-Jul-2007 at 00:01
Knight
Knight

Quote Southerneighbr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Jul-2007 at 21:35
Originally posted by Antioxos

3.While your effort to ''educate'' me around Greece's army is cute,none the less i did my millitary service in the Greek Airforce( i got my apolytirio late last year) and i strongly protest what you arbitrary claim to be only  ''defence'' tacticts against Turkey.In my mind it is absolutely not withstanding scrutiny.Firstly and foremostly due to Greece's denial to demillitarize  the Aegean Islands(oh i know Greece is afraid Turkey will do the same it did in Cyprus...which is  only  outdated thinking).
  The rest you say i concur....Greece cannot sustain a war more than a few weeks against Turkey,but neither can Turkey.I never actually talked about war though.Something that you also fail to address is the fact that today a war is taking place firstly and foremostly over the sky.
  I am pretty confident from my experience in the Greek Airforce that Greece has one of the most advanced airforce's in the world,which not only can defend its sovereignity but can easily help her expand in neighbouring countries.

Because i did my military service for 23 months in the infantry as dea and i did participate in one big military exercise i can assure your ignorance from inside that all the plans of the Greek army are defensively.I was not for holidays in the army my friend.
I dont think that you personally can educate nobody about Greece more that the other Greeks all over the world. 
Your view represent only yourself (and your imagination) and nobody else.
Instead waste our time make a small tour in Allempires and there you can find all your answers. 

No answer in this one unless you tone it down.Besides i can only pressume that you went to the army a few million years ago.Being all defensive about Greece is only typical of bias and greek propaganda and complex.The Greek airforce can expand easily Greek sovereignity with losses (for example Turkey) or without losses(pick any other neighbouring Balkan country).The defensive BS crap i was hearing in the army is just that:BS.

Edited by Southerneighbr - 18-Jul-2007 at 22:28
Leonidas View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote Leonidas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Jul-2007 at 09:43

1.Leonidas we are already doing rounds around the subject.I cannot be convinced that Greece is right nor Turkey for that matter.A blind person can easily see through both Greece's and Turkey's expansionism.
neither side is guilty of expansionism on the Aegean. This is a boundary dispute, not a land grab.

Turkey is insecure of being locked out of the Aegean and having Greeks right on its coast. Hence why it wants as much space between the islands free and open, otherwise pushing the status quo 'grey zone'. Greece is insecure about its islands. Hence why it wants a nice big line in the sand, no more "Grey zones" no more uncertainty.

What about this argument of ''cherry'' picking?Where did that come from?Specially regarding the neutral wiki link i didnt mention anything,i just suggested it as a background reading.While ONE single Thesis you provide is helpfull...i on the other hand provided a totally neutral source of what many  neutral observers have to say.That is what an encyclopedia is anyway...collection of neutral info in order to systematically promote knowledge.Your argument still has zero validity.Provide a neutral source that shows Greece is right so as to consider your arguments debatable.
cherry picking maybe was a but harsh, your just very selective. Nor does my source say the Greeks were right, it doesn't take sides. It may explain their POV better but i found it more helpful to understand the Turkish POV.

2.Yet the issues i am afraid are interlinked.A country that out of nowhere tripled in size the last 100 years,while all its neighbours shrunk is hardly non-expansionism.
all its neighbors shrunk! Shocked apart from an unwanted empire, how many countries lost territory to Greek aggression, that actually was already theirs in the first place? was Greece the only country to expand through irredentism? They expanded because they won a few wars at a time when everyone else was doing the same thing. Yes its expansionist but they were both victims and victors in one.

Just because you say they linked doesn't mean they are. How are they linked? heres a tip, you would need to provide a common clear and logical thread between them all. using one word to describe it isn't strong enough. So far, just confusing personal interpretations and theory.

That is an excellent starting point to understand future claims Greece might be doing.The key issue off course always being Cyprus for future claims or geopolitical control of the island,merely masked TODAY under the pretext of the Turkish troops leaving the Island.
its Ok for Turkish troops to be there because you think Greece wants the island for itself! that is rich and  all because you know Greece wants it. Without your common thread, we can assume your still guessing all of this and stating it as fact

Knowing the fascisto right wing mentality of a big number of Greek Cypriots,that today indeed govern the Greek part i am not at all convinced that the Greek side will ever be satisfied in anything less than the Turks being a minority on the island.I cant imagine the Greek side ever allowing them to play on equal terms.
Turks are a minority, equality as a individual is fundamental to any true democracy along with strong and real cultural rights.

The communal thing gave the nationalist Greek side something to fight against. It really helped the British divide the island so well, to this day they get their base. Its not the ottoman days of the millet system, no one expects Greece or Turkey to do the same, so no one should expect the Cypriots to hang on to such pointless legacies.

Firstly and foremostly due to Greece's denial to demillitarize  the Aegean Islands(oh i know Greece is afraid Turkey will do the same it did in Cyprus...which is  only  outdated thinking).
with such a confident start to the point, this is what i got? militarization of the island happened after the formation of Turkeys 4th army (Aegean army). which BTW occurred in reaction to the Cyprus conflict, outdated thinking right? Now i would imagine, in your service you would know they have the largest non ocean-going amphibious landing fleet on top of a pretty strong airlift strength. Such a force is considered "defensive" by turkey, but the troops sitting on the island facing them (because of them) is offensiveConfused . BTW Greece doesn't deny its militarizations.

Anyway this militarization complaint is an outdated  petty argument,  the old treaty was written when planes and ships were a fraction of the speed and power they are today. Greece can easily comply with that Lausanne treaty and just boost up its planes, missiles and ships. These things are much more dangerous and 'offensive' than some conscript riding around in a truck on some island. would turkey be more secure with a complying Greece? no.

Is the complaint genuine? no

The rest you say i concur....Greece cannot sustain a war more than a few weeks against Turkey,but neither can Turkey.I never actually talked about war though.Something that you also fail to address is the fact that today a war is taking place firstly and foremostly over the sky.
well you infer it. You may call boundary disputes as 'expansionism' but this is your stretch of the word.  however your negativity over the Greek position and stated belief in its expansionism, infers conflict and war. They cant expand into turkey without a war.

Your perception that the new boundaries are a negative for Turkey also infers this. Why else would they have a threat of war right? So Greece shuts down the Aegean, we can safely assume turkey will attack, you don't need new boundaries to do this but lets suppose they agreed Greece gets 12 miles. Now you also accept that Greece cant win a total war, then why would Greece even bother to use its new boundaries in such a harmful and illegal way?  where is the tangible advantage beyond perceptions of ownership? It certainly doesn't make Greece stronger for a a fight it cant win, as an aggressor.

I am pretty confident from my experience in the Greek Airforce that Greece has one of the most advanced airforce's in the world,which not only can defend its sovereignity but can easily help her expand in neighbouring countries.
air wars cant grab territory, look at Israel vs Hezbollah, US vs Iraq. you need troops on the ground for that, and as you admit, realistically this cant be done by Greece, despite her expansionist waysSmile

Edited by Leonidas - 18-Jul-2007 at 09:56
Antioxos View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Antioxos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Jul-2007 at 03:08

3.While your effort to ''educate'' me around Greece's army is cute,none the less i did my millitary service in the Greek Airforce( i got my apolytirio late last year) and i strongly protest what you arbitrary claim to be only  ''defence'' tacticts against Turkey.In my mind it is absolutely not withstanding scrutiny.Firstly and foremostly due to Greece's denial to demillitarize  the Aegean Islands(oh i know Greece is afraid Turkey will do the same it did in Cyprus...which is  only  outdated thinking).

Because i did my military service for 23 months in the infantry as dea and i did participate in one big military exercise i can assure your ignorance from inside that all the plans of the Greek army are defensively.I was not for holidays in the army my friend.
I dont think that you personally can educate nobody about Greece more that the other Greeks all over the world. 
Your view represent only yourself (and your imagination) and nobody else.
Instead waste our time make a small tour in Allempires and there you can find all your answers. 

Edited by Antioxos - 18-Jul-2007 at 03:13

By antioxos at 2007-08-20
Neoptolemos View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Neoptolemos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Jul-2007 at 02:48

But Neoptolemeos you want to confine the discussion around waters.I distinctly said that the Treaties interpretation involves all the disputes the countries face,so the twisting is right there.

Yes, I confine the discussion around waters, because it was one of the two main arguments (the 2nd being Cyprus) that YOU used in your first post to "prove" Greece's expansionism. If you go back and check our discussion from the beginning, you will see that the first posts had to do with t.waters. Only after you started speaking about treaties in general and putting other issues in the table as well. Still you implied that there are bilateral treaties that legally cover Turkey on the issue of expanding the waters.
What I'm trying to tel you is this: on the issue of territorial waters, the only relevant Treaty (that I know of) is UNCLOS. If you know of any other, please let me know.
What you are basically claiming is that all the issues are a "package" and there are bilateral treaties (which you have yet to identify) that legally cover Turkey on ALL the disputes (therefore t.waters dispute as well). Well allow me to disagree with this.

Besides the as res inter alios acta argument Turkey gives is pretty much what i am talking about....a solid legal argument(we are not examining whether it is valid or not)..

A solid legal argument which reads as "this Law does not apply to me". We agree in this, as I have already posted it.

So,unless you are a judge in the International court or a lawyer,i consider your comments on Greece's alleged non-expansionism as ''Greek'' biased.

No, I'm not a judge nor a lawyer (in fact I have never studied Law). Neither are you, I assume. You can consider my comments whatever you wish.

P.S.: "oh i know Greece is afraid Turkey will do the same it did in Cyprus...which is  only  outdated thinking"
I had to pick that out... So, what Turkey did in 1974 is outdated thinking and what Greece did in 1912-23 in not outdated. I see a MAJOR inconsistency there...
Knight
Knight

Quote Southerneighbr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Jul-2007 at 00:10
Originally posted by Leonidas

1. apologies didnt notice the wiki link, but posting 'neutral' links and cherry picking its facts and focusing on the turkish position does nothing for your own bias. You never answer any of the good points raised. I posted a very good neutral take on the conflict and will use that to explain the poistions of both sides better if you like.

2 Linking these events is disengenous.Ok, I can agree with the balkans wars and asia minor campaigns but what this has to do with international flight zones and the like is purely your own personal speculation. It has as much relevance as turkey's ottomon past. 

3. Sorry you need to understand the greece defence force better than that. Its is designed for defence, it can counter attack and retake islands, it cannot land a suffeicent force on Turkeys coast, let alone sustain them. Turkeys aegean islands are at risk, but then agian so are many more of ours. If you think we are a real threat to the mainland, then your dreaming. The greek airforce is dam strong for a country that size, the strongest part of the Greek defence and where the Greeks have close parity to the turks. however Turkeys airforce is still the stronger of the two.  I am dead sure the turks would not take us on where they are just close in size, they would take us on in every way possible where we cant match them. That is a logical expectation, hence why Greece cant pick a fight and expect it to be clean and limited where it has a good chance

Greece cannot sustain a total war against turkey longer than a few months, take a look at how many men become of military age every year between the two countries and you will see why Greece couldn't attack if they wanted to. Here is a another piece miltary logic; rule of thumb -you need three to one numbers advantage to attack a defender and have a chance to be succeful. Thats why we can only think of ourselves to ever be successful in defence. In turn Turkey would need disproportiante chunk of its force to take us on successfully, but then expose and risk its rear when doing so. The damage and risk taken is big enough, that no sane person could want war from either side.

Go and get your calculator out, look at our forces, then see what ships and planes we have to transport them, and then take a look at the turkish aegean army thats sits over the other side.  BTW maritime or airspace zones doesnt disturb this balance.

Without a war fighting capability to match, no 'expansionism' policy can actually be real.

1.Leonidas we are already doing rounds around the subject.I cannot be convinced that Greece is right nor Turkey for that matter.A blind person can easily see through both Greece's and Turkey's expansionism.What about this argument of ''cherry'' picking?Where did that come from?Specially regarding the neutral wiki link i didnt mention anything,i just suggested it as a background reading.While ONE single Thesis you provide is helpfull...i on the other hand provided a totally neutral source of what many  neutral observers have to say.That is what an encyclopedia is anyway...collection of neutral info in order to systematically promote knowledge.Your argument still has zero validity.Provide a neutral source that shows Greece is right so as to consider your arguments debatable.

2.Yet the issues i am afraid are interlinked.A country that out of nowhere tripled in size the last 100 years,while all its neighbours shrunk is hardly non-expansionism.That is an excellent starting point to understand future claims Greece might be doing.The key issue off course always being Cyprus for future claims or geopolitical control of the island,merely masked TODAY under the pretext of the Turkish troops leaving the Island.Knowing the fascisto right wing mentality of a big number of Greek Cypriots,that today indeed govern the Greek part i am not at all convinced that the Greek side will ever be satisfied in anything less than the Turks being a minority on the island.I cant imagine the Greek side ever allowing them to play on equal terms.

Edited by Southerneighbr - 18-Jul-2007 at 00:23
Knight
Knight

Quote Southerneighbr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Jul-2007 at 23:50

you obviously wanna downplay the differences the two countries have.

I certainly don't want to downplay the differences, how did you figure this out? The two countries have BIG disputes: territorial waters, continental shelf, national airspace (where Greece is acting stupid IMHO), FIR Athens, demilitarization of some Aegean islands and "grey zones". The first two are, by far, the most important ones; once they're solved, the rest will be a piece of cake IMO.
Oh, there's also Cyprus of course.

Besides i provided one neutral and one Turkish source.

Regarding terr. waters, your neutral source says pretty much what I already told you:
Originally posted by wikipedia

Turkey has refused to become a member of the convention and does not consider itself bound by it, although it has applied the customary 12 miles on its other coastlines outside the Aegean. Turkey considers the convention as res inter alios acta, i.e. a treaty that can only be binding to the signing parties but not to others.

The only treaty that is mentioned in this "chapter" is (surprise) UNCLOS.

Dont twist my words.

Which words of yours did I twist?

Besides the as res inter alios acta argument Turkey gives is pretty much what i am talking about....a solid legal argument(we are not examining whether it is valid or not).
  So,unless you are a judge in the International court or a lawyer,i consider your comments on Greece's alleged non-expansionism as ''Greek'' biased.

Edited by Southerneighbr - 18-Jul-2007 at 00:37
Leonidas View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote Leonidas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Jul-2007 at 22:33

1.That is a weak argument or an non-argument indeed.I was very carefull in   firsty  providing a neutral link from wikipedia  before providing the Turkish side.So this argument has zero validity.
apologies didnt notice the wiki link, but posting 'neutral' links and cherry picking its facts and focusing on the turkish position does nothing for your own bias. You never answer any of the good points raised. I posted a very good neutral take on the conflict and will use that to explain the poistions of both sides better if you like.

2.Or so you want to believe.I for once consider it expansionistic given Greece's expansionistic history in Macedonia,Thrace,Cyprus and now on the Aegean..
Linking these events is disengenous.Ok, I can agree with the balkans wars and asia minor campaigns but what this has to do with international flight zones and the like is purely your own personal speculation. It has as much relevance as turkey's ottomon past. 

3.That is not true,the way you want to present it.Greece's military is perfectly capable to defend its sovereignity and expand to neighbouring countries,let alone our airforce which is one of the most modern in the world.
Sorry you need to understand the greece defence force better than that. Its is designed for defence, it can counter attack and retake islands, it cannot land a suffeicent force on Turkeys coast, let alone sustain them. Turkeys aegean islands are at risk, but then agian so are many more of ours. If you think we are a real threat to the mainland, then your dreaming. The greek airforce is dam strong for a country that size, the strongest part of the Greek defence and where the Greeks have close parity to the turks. however Turkeys airforce is still the stronger of the two.  I am dead sure the turks would not take us on where they are just close in size, they would take us on in every way possible where we cant match them. That is a logical expectation, hence why Greece cant pick a fight and expect it to be clean and limited where it has a good chance

Greece cannot sustain a total war against turkey longer than a few months, take a look at how many men become of military age every year between the two countries and you will see why Greece couldn't attack if they wanted to. Here is a another piece miltary logic; rule of thumb -you need three to one numbers advantage to attack a defender and have a chance to be succeful. Thats why we can only think of ourselves to ever be successful in defence. In turn Turkey would need disproportiante chunk of its force to take us on successfully, but then expose and risk its rear when doing so. The damage and risk taken is big enough, that no sane person could want war from either side.

Go and get your calculator out, look at our forces, then see what ships and planes we have to transport them, and then take a look at the turkish aegean army thats sits over the other side.  BTW maritime or airspace zones doesnt disturb this balance.

Without a war fighting capability to match, no 'expansionism' policy can actually be real.

Edited by Leonidas - 17-Jul-2007 at 22:53
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Neoptolemos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Jul-2007 at 20:55

you obviously wanna downplay the differences the two countries have.

I certainly don't want to downplay the differences, how did you figure this out? The two countries have BIG disputes: territorial waters, continental shelf, national airspace (where Greece is acting stupid IMHO), FIR Athens, demilitarization of some Aegean islands and "grey zones". The first two are, by far, the most important ones; once they're solved, the rest will be a piece of cake IMO.
Oh, there's also Cyprus of course.

Besides i provided one neutral and one Turkish source.

Regarding terr. waters, your neutral source says pretty much what I already told you:
Originally posted by wikipedia

Turkey has refused to become a member of the convention and does not consider itself bound by it, although it has applied the customary 12 miles on its other coastlines outside the Aegean. Turkey considers the convention as res inter alios acta, i.e. a treaty that can only be binding to the signing parties but not to others.

The only treaty that is mentioned in this "chapter" is (surprise) UNCLOS.

Dont twist my words.

Which words of yours did I twist?
Knight
Knight

Quote Southerneighbr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Jul-2007 at 18:12

1.Excuse me, your using very typical Turkish arguments to back your theory, nothing from Greek or neutral sources. 

2. They are hardly 'expansionist' policies.

3. We haven't the demographics, the money, ambition or even the military to do it, simple as that.

1.That is a weak argument or an non-argument indeed.I was very carefull in   firsty  providing a neutral link from wikipedia  before providing the Turkish side.So this argument has zero validity.

2.Or so you want to believe.I for once consider it expansionistic given Greece's expansionistic history in Macedonia,Thrace,Cyprus and now on the Aegean.

3.That is not true,the way you want to present it.Greece's military is perfectly capable to defend its sovereignity and expand to neighbouring countries,let alone our airforce which is one of the most modern in the world.
Knight
Knight

Quote Southerneighbr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Jul-2007 at 18:04

2. The problem at the moment is not the interpretation of the Treaty, it is that Turkey has not signed and is not binded by the Treaty in the first place. In this sense I agree that Turkey is leggally covered. If they sign it, we can discuss about finding a common interpretation.
Oh, yes she has.She has signed many bilateral agreements with Greece except the 1982 Treaty.Based on those Treaties Turkey finds legal excuses to oppose our interpretation of the Treaties we have signed with her.She finds legal binding the bilateral treaties she signed with Greece and NOT a Treaty she hasnt signed.So in my mind Turkey is leggally covered.Covering her expansionism that is....Exactly the same way Greece is doing.
Which are those bilateral agreements and Treaties that you speak of? (Which have to do with terittorial waters that is)
I didnt refer to the waters but to the bilateral treaties singned in the meantime,which makes Turkey consider their is a ''package'' of disputes in the Aegean,thus refusing to talk only about the waters.I am not a lawyer but Turkey as far i see  is legally covered of what it says.

Oh, but I thought we've been discussing about the waters all along, and when discussing about territorial waters UNCLOS is THE Treaty (unless you find me another one). There's obviously a problem of understanding here...
If you want to shift the discussion to the whole "package", sorry, but I want follow you (not in this thread). I could follow the easy path and copy/paste what the Greek Foreign Ministry has to say on these issues (as opposed to Turkish Embassy's claims that you posted), but I choose not to do so, because it will get as nowhere.

The previous post i posted covers you fine,you obviously wanna downplay the differences the two countries have.Besides i provided one neutral and one Turkish source.Dont twist my words.
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Neoptolemos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Jul-2007 at 15:06

2. The problem at the moment is not the interpretation of the Treaty, it is that Turkey has not signed and is not binded by the Treaty in the first place. In this sense I agree that Turkey is leggally covered. If they sign it, we can discuss about finding a common interpretation.
Oh, yes she has.She has signed many bilateral agreements with Greece except the 1982 Treaty.Based on those Treaties Turkey finds legal excuses to oppose our interpretation of the Treaties we have signed with her.She finds legal binding the bilateral treaties she signed with Greece and NOT a Treaty she hasnt signed.So in my mind Turkey is leggally covered.Covering her expansionism that is....Exactly the same way Greece is doing.
Which are those bilateral agreements and Treaties that you speak of? (Which have to do with terittorial waters that is)
I didnt refer to the waters but to the bilateral treaties singned in the meantime,which makes Turkey consider their is a ''package'' of disputes in the Aegean,thus refusing to talk only about the waters.I am not a lawyer but Turkey as far i see  is legally covered of what it says.

Oh, but I thought we've been discussing about the waters all along, and when discussing about territorial waters UNCLOS is THE Treaty (unless you find me another one). There's obviously a problem of understanding here...
If you want to shift the discussion to the whole "package", sorry, but I want follow you (not in this thread). I could follow the easy path and copy/paste what the Greek Foreign Ministry has to say on these issues (as opposed to Turkish Embassy's claims that you posted), but I choose not to do so, because it will get as nowhere.
Leonidas View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote Leonidas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Jul-2007 at 10:47

Leonidas to me that is a typical Greek response to deny Greece's politics.Here in Greece the things are much more different that some of the hardcore elements of the Greek diaspora where you live want us to believe.

Greece's expansionism is alive and kicking i reassure you.Its about time the Greeks stop playing victims of an alleged danger from Turkey,it is both outdated and kinda phobic,we the Greek citizens inside Greece are way past this mentality(or at least most us compared to the hardcore Greek diaspora which lives in another past era).
Excuse me, your using very typical Turkish arguments to back your theory, nothing from Greek or neutral sources. I'm hardly 'hardcore' nor do mix with those types. The victim mentality is pretty much typical of the whole region, we have all screwed each other somewhere, somehow. its hardly a Greek phenomenon (but yes it does exist there), so maybe apply it to all sides for your analysis.

Airspace and maritime agreements are over international space nothing in those two items takes away anything from turkey. turkey chooses two link resources to those items, so no one gets anything or can even talk about sharing arrangements of the one thing that is tangible to both countries.  They are hardly 'expansionist' policies.

Greece is not a expansionist threat, even with 12 miles around each island. Expansionism is not easy or natural, Greece cannot expand into Turkish territory without risking so much more. We haven't the demographics, the money, ambition or even the military to do it, simple as that. So such thoughts are only existent in three imaginations;
  1. In the mind of the Turkish patriot that believes the defence budget supporting stories of their military on face value.
  2. In the mind of the Greek patriot that thinks Alexander was the best thing since slice bread and that miracle military feats like the 300 can be repeated
  3. and you.

Knight
Knight

Quote Southerneighbr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Jul-2007 at 09:13

To regards of what Turkey is claiming in general over the disputes,here is what the Turkish Embassy in the U.S says:

So it is interesting to see that Turkey also views us as an expansionist country
interesting? This is nothing other than predictable. Stuff like that gets cut and pasted in here and on other forums.

During a past debate long long time ago* i posted this study^, that outlines each others position  in the most neutral one ive seen on the web (which admittedly is not hard)

Greece expansionism effectively died in the deserts of Anatolia and the birth of the Turkish Republic, and had its politically death when the students in Athens stood up to the junta. Everything else is just perception and conjecture

^ http://www.ccc.nps.navy.mil/research/theses/mann01.asp

*More- should Turkey join the EU???(Topic%20Closed)

Leonidas to me that is a typical Greek response to deny Greece's politics.Here in Greece the things are much more different that some of the hardcore elements of the Greek diaspora where you live want us to believe.

Greece's expansionism is alive and kicking i reassure you.Its about time the Greeks stop playing victims of an alleged danger from Turkey,it is both outdated and kinda phobic,we the Greek citizens inside Greece are way past this mentality(or at least most us compared to the hardcore Greek diaspora which lives in another past era).
Yugoslav View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Yugoslav Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Jul-2007 at 08:10
Originally posted by Josip

LMAO ok sorry i was replying to the other guy too, which was a Turk, and then when i replied to Leonida's post i mistook him for Turk :)))) OK, oi oi oi mr Australian, I'm sorry :)

Originally posted by Mortaza

Zagros, I never heard such thing.we believe, A muslim husband dont have any right to force women.

Quran:
"As for those [wives] from whom you fear disobedience, admonish them and
send them to beds apart and beat them. Then if they obey you, take no
further action against them." (4:34)

You find the whole country guilty and deserving of war, and also expansionism. A big leap in logic  and smacks of chauvinism

Are you reading my posts partially on purpose or? I didn't accuse anyone of expansionism because of one assassination, i posted facts why I said that.

what does a Bosnian Serb hit on the Austrian emperor has to do with the modern state of serbia?

A lot, considering that pro-expansionistic and nationalistic party won cca 33% of seats in Parliament. Yes, the same guy who wants a piece of other countries to be incorporated in Great Serbia.

You know, you should really not discuss those topics you know nothing about.

first defence of an apologists, 'everyone else was doing it'. Big deal every one else guilt doesn't wash away anyone else's. A Nazi is a Nazi from any angle.

I'm sorry, what's your point? Did i say that Ustashe weren't pro-nazi? Yes i did. Did i say that majority of Croatia was leader anti-nazi movement in former Yugoslavia (meaning, whole region)? "Everyone else was doing it" is a good argument against those who want to single someone out and then use it as an argument "oh look you did that!" as everyone else is different.

Don't get me started about Australia, the ex-convict colony. Mind your own business, your countries troops are invading Iraq, unlawfully, and helping the biggest criminals among current world countries = americans. Clean your own backyard first, as you can see, Croatia is not waging any wars now, and if you ever find a single conquesting war that (independent) Croatia led (in 13 centuries of history), let me know. All wars we had, ALL, were in self defense.

Are you now claiming the partisans as a Croatian movement?

For start, im claiming you're utterly clueless.

As second, yes, that's what I'm claiming. Partisan movement was led by Josip Broz Tito, wow wait, a Croat. 'All of the partisan leaders were Croats, (and unlike the ustashe oposition in Croatia) the chetnik pro-nazi regime had no opposition whatsoever.'

Of course, I'm sure you will accuse me again of using biased logic, the other guy will accuse me of taking things out of the context, and no one will care about historical facts.

irrelevant were he came from

No, it's not irrelevant where he came from. If someone invades your country, conquers it, installs puppet regime and as the puppet head of state puts some guy who wasn't even living in Croatia but in Italy (which was Axis) - then yea, that's relevant.

Not to you, you're not a friend of truth.

BTW Tito's ethnicity is also irrelevant.

Yea, I suppose Hitlers ethnicity isn't relevant either, the ethnicity of Nazis isnt relevant either. What's relevant is that Leonida needs to be right, and those who disagree with him wrong. The methods don't matter, the tools don't matter, the truth matters not. Being right, that does matter.

ok now they were supported, 'but only by a little bit' . But an apologist couldnt help but to justify such support anyway.

I have zero respect of people who can't see shades of gray but see all in black and white, and I have serious doubts of their IQ.

Utashe apologist is no different to those in serbia  that are chetnik apologist

I am not Ustashe apologist. I am apologist with other Croats who weren't Ustashe, and whom you treat equally because your bias doesn't allow you to see the whole picture.

One mans terrorist is another freedom fighter

Being terrorist doesn't make you wrong. Being on the wrong side and doing wrong things, does. Being a terrorist can be good, in certain cases.

Celebrating the hit on a Serbian king, than comparing the Serbian hit on a Austrian king with 9/11. No your not biased in anyway......

I'm biased towards truth and justice. I don't equalize all murders. Some are good, some are not. Some I celebrate, some I mourn.

Originally posted by GoldenBlood

i have evidence that serbs claim in Croatia were over 35% serbs and you croats cleansed...now should believe we about it?

Serbs also claim that 2 million Serbs died in Jasenovac in WW2. Personally, I wish they did, but I guess they just haven't found as many because not as many existed. 35% of Serbs cleansed? I don't know the exact number (which is much less than that one), but IMO we didnt clean enough of em, judging from the online posts they are still making, and things they are still saying. If it was up to me, I'd deport half of them who still live in Croatia.

what about expulsion of Albanians and Colonisation of Serbs from Kosova 1912-1945 have you hard about it? we have 3-5 milions albanians in Turkey (why are there those magnificient albanians?

And what of the pre-Turk invasion of Kosovo? And Bosnia? How many muslims did we have then?
The reason I mentioned Kosovo was as an example of hyperpopulation. I have no intention to debate thousand of years of history, and who smacked whom first. If i wanted to do that, I'd debate Israeli Palestine issue :)

why you dont compare the most the populaion density??

Because the population density is irrelevant, since hyperpopulation over the decades makes the initial density no issue.

Truth, what truth?...why you dont say your truth about your Krajina and Slavonia?

What do you want to know about this? Slavonia and Krajina were always Croatian, except during wars against Ottoman empire when we sheltered Serbs there. Then they got haughty, Serbia populated Krajina on purpose (in organized manner) with Serbs in former Yugoslavia even further, and after the break of Yugoslavia they got haughty.. except they miscalculated their (and our) strenght. They got what they deserved, now they can go back to their barbaric country, as far as I'm concerned. I don't want any Neanderthal tribes in my country. If you like them so much, we can send them over to your country, and they can continue shouting "Serbia to Tokio".

Originally posted by Yugoslav

Of course Croatia should've handed them over - for if not, then the ICTY would not exist at all (what, to put non-Croatians on trial)?

That's right. Haven't you heard of WW2? And other wars? Victorious side, being Allies, judged the losing side, being Axis powers. What do you think, that they were both convicted? No, just those guilty. Axis. Same thing here, Serbs were guilty of invading Slovenia Bosnia Croatia and Albanians on Kosovo. Croats beat the **** out of them, and that's pretty much it. No Croat, not a single one, should be sent to some political court.

I do not understand that which you say about Carla del Ponte. I think she's a great and energic person

Birds of a feather flock together.

The rebellion in Croatia (celebrated as national liberation day today) was initiated by - guess who - Serb Partisans.

Yea, I assume you read that in Serbian schoolbooks. Quite interesting how all partisan leaders were Croats, and anti-nazi movement had a huge support in Croatia but none in Serbia. Saying that the rebellion was initiated in Croatia by serb partisans is so disgusting, and the very fast that Tito was a Croat should be enough to prove this wrong.

Up to 1943 most Croats were behind the Ustashas (either willingly, or through intimidation)

Interesting. Then how come Partisans won? Oh wait, I get it, Serbs came here and beat the crap of Ustashe, while Croatian partisans were busy hunting deer in the forest?

it isn't accident that in NDH most of the rebelled territories mostly had Serb majority early on

You mean Chetniks? Yea. Who else would oppose Ustashe more than Nazies. Chetniks collaborated with Nazies and it was in both interest they had conflcit with Ustashe

I would also like to point out the massive celebration and greeting in Zagreb to the German forces in 1941, they were welcomed by the mass with cookies, flowers

I know nothing about that, but I would assume this is correct. See, after decades of your Serb hegemony, people thought that Nazies would liberate them and Croatia would prosper. In other words, we got so sick of you Serbs that even Nazies were a better solution because they treated us better.

So, just because an opposition party managed to enter the parliament you base that opinion?

New independent Croatia did not exist until 1991/1992-1994/1995, so excluding the 1941-1945 episode, it's not much of an argument.Dead BTW I wouldn't call the genocidal war in WWII self-defense. And by the same logic that Serbia indirectly waged war upon Bosnia and Croatia - so did Croatia in 1993-1994. I'd also reckon certain activities (Medak, Gospic, Flash, Storm,...) not quite "self-defense" from the 1991-1995 war. Or in the Medieval Ages - those interventions in Bosnia, and the two late invasions of Serbia, and the attacks on Byzantine and/or Latin property deemed as "national liberation" nowadays is far from it - for that's the same like the Serbs calling their takeover of southern (Old) Serbia (Kosovo, Metohija, northern Sanjak, Vardar Macedonia) ca 1912 "self-defense" because of very same reasons.

Ante Pavelic only lived for some time in Italy. And also, remember Tito's mixed origin and Yugoslavian affiliation.

I think rebel is more correct than terrorist in this case.

I agree that the world isn't black-white, but I don't think any murder is simply "good".

I've never ever heard Serbs say 2 million died in Jasenovac - but what do you meant by not existing that much? In the Independent state of Croatia alone about 2,100,000 lived.

Quote: "I don't know the exact number (which is much less than that one), but IMO we didnt clean enough of em, judging from the online posts they are still making, and things they are still saying. If it was up to me, I'd deport half of them who still live in Croatia." That's it. I'm reporting you.

Quote: 'What do you want to know about this? Slavonia and Krajina were always Croatian, except during wars against Ottoman empire when we sheltered Serbs there. Then they got haughty, Serbia populated Krajina on purpose (in organized manner) with Serbs in former Yugoslavia even further, and after the break of Yugoslavia they got haughty.. except they miscalculated their (and our) strenght. They got what they deserved, now they can go back to their barbaric country, as far as I'm concerned. I don't want any Neanderthal tribes in my country. If you like them so much, we can send them over to your country, and they can continue shouting "Serbia to Tokio".' Not as racist as the previous one, but still...

So according to your logic, if Slobodan Milosevic won and the HDZ elite and many Slovenes and Albanians forever abandon Yugoslavia, with eventually him becoming the first president of the New Yugoslavia - do you actually think that only Tudjman and the others should've been prosecuted???

No, I read in Jewish and Yugoslavian (before) schoolbooks. It's interesting to say that "all Partisan leaders were Croats" is absolutely incorrect. For instance, proportionally, the greatest number of Partisan high-ranking officers were Montenegrins and Serbs. Yes, Serb Partisans (mostly) raised the anti-Nazi rebellion in Croatia on 27th July 1941. I already mentioned that Tito's not quite a best example for a Croat (being far more a Yugoslavian Slovene than Croat). And remember that Tito went to Belgrade to organize armed resistance - because in the Independent State of Croatia there was no atmosphere (yet) for any resistance. Tito didn't raise the National Liberation War in Croatia - but in Serbia. Quite interesting how all partisan leaders were Croats, and anti-nazi movement had a huge support in Croatia but none in Serbia. Incredibly fallacious. In 1941 the anti-Fascist rebellion liberated Serbia and Montenegro, while there was still nothing in NDH. And only after 1943 serious movements emerge in Croatia, with the March of the Partisans from Uzice to Bihac. Could you please tell me all those famous & famed Croat Partisans before 1943?

After 1943, the war lasted all the way until 1945. Not "the Serbs", but the "Yugoslavs" - which excluded most Croats until '43 and excluded most Slovenes.

To say that all Chetniks collaborated with the Nazis is wrong - only some did, and those that did, cooperated with the Ustashas too. However, most Chetniks cooperated with the Italian Fascists, that's (sadly) true - and some even cooperated with the collaborationist puppet regimes in Montenegro and Serbia of Sekula Drljevic and Milan Nedic.

The Nazis were a better solution? Well I guess they were with the "Final Solution" for the Jews, and a similar one existing for the Serbs. Also this better solution seems to have brought to death almost 1,700,000 Yugoslavs - a figure at least one hundred thousand times greater than the victims of the Serb-hegemony royal Yugoslavia. And please, do not attach me nationalist connotations, and especially connect me with any crime I didn't commit.

In the end you contradict your very self - you point out that the world isn't black & white, and yet you see only to want to put the losers on trial...? Dead
"I know not with what weapons World War 3 will be fought, but World War 4 will be fought with sticks and stones."
Leonidas View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote Leonidas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Jul-2007 at 07:30

To regards of what Turkey is claiming in general over the disputes,here is what the Turkish Embassy in the U.S says:

So it is interesting to see that Turkey also views us as an expansionist country
interesting? This is nothing other than predictable. Stuff like that gets cut and pasted in here and on other forums.

During a past debate long long time ago* i posted this study^, that outlines each others position  in the most neutral one ive seen on the web (which admittedly is not hard)

Greece expansionism effectively died in the deserts of Anatolia and the birth of the Turkish Republic, and had its politically death when the students in Athens stood up to the junta. Everything else is just perception and conjecture

^ http://www.ccc.nps.navy.mil/research/theses/mann01.asp

*More- should Turkey join the EU???(Topic%20Closed)

Edited by Leonidas - 17-Jul-2007 at 07:34
Knight
Knight

Quote Southerneighbr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Jul-2007 at 04:16
Originally posted by Mortaza

Im sorry for being off topic but if the above is true why is there so much strife between adherants of the three abrahamic religions.

Because you only talk about strife. There is both strife and cooperation between abrahamic religions.. It is politics.

I must concur.

Now a naive question.....what about the approach of muslims towards people who dont believe in God?

Is it true that it is the biggest  of the blasthemies one not to believe in God,according to Islam?
Mortaza View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote Mortaza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Jul-2007 at 02:28
Im sorry for being off topic but if the above is true why is there so much strife between adherants of the three abrahamic religions.

Because you only talk about strife. There is both strife and cooperation between abrahamic religions.. It is politics.

Knight
Knight

Quote Southerneighbr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Jul-2007 at 23:13

The recent crisis over the Kardak rocks has erupted by coincidence in such an atmosphere when Greece was making anouncements for recruitement of potential settlers from all over the world to some of these small islets and rocks. It is obvious that such a recruitment and settlement effort is in total disregard of the environmental concerns and the fragility of the ecosystems of the small islands and rocks in the Aegean. In addition, it is yet another proof of Greece's thirst for territorial expansion beyond areas ceded to her by the Lausanne Peace Treaty of 1923 and the Paris Peace Treaty of 1947.

Under the present 6 miles limit, Greek territorial sea comprises approximately 43.5 percent of the Aegean Sea. For Turkey the same percentage is 7.5 percent. The remaining 49 percent is high seas.

It is evident that the extension by Greece of her territorial waters beyond the present 6 miles in the Aegean, would have most inequitable implications and would, therefore, constitute an abuse of right.

If the breadth of Greek territorial waters is extended to 12 miles due to the existence of the islands, Greece would acquire approximately 71.5 percent of the Aegean sea, while Turkey's share would increase to only 8.8 percent. The Aegean high seas would diminish to 19.7 percent

The fundamental source of tension between Turkey and Greece is the Greek perception to regard the entire Aegean as a Greek sea in total disregard of Turkey's rights and interests as one of the coastal states.

Turkish policy is based on respect for the status quo whereas Greece appears determined to alter it in its favor.

The threat of extending Greek territorial waters beyond their present width of 6 miles ( Greece extended her territorial waters from 3 miles to 6 miles in 1936,Turkey followed suit in 1964),the remilitarization of the Eastern Aegean Islands placed under demilitarized status by virtue of the very agreements ceding them to Greece, a 10 mile "national air space" over territorial waters of 6, abuse of the FIR responsibility as if it confers sovereignty (request of flight plans from state aircraft and allegations of "violations of" Athens FIR) can be counted among these efforts which are the real underlying causes of the Turco-Greek conflict.

Subsequent to the International Court of Justice ruling and the Security Council Resolution, Turkey and Greece signed the 1976 Bern Agreement

However Greece, who terminated the negotiating process with Turkey in 1981, started seismic and related activities and planned drilling operations in the disputed areas of the Aegean continental shelf in 1981.These activities which were open violations of the Bern Agreement have formed the main cause of the March 1987 crisis between Turkey and Greece

The FIR arrangement on the Aegean Airspace devised in 1952 within the framework of ICAO (International Civil Aviation Organization), is a technical responsibility. Greece, however, is using it to further its claims of de facto sovereignty over the Aegean airspace by demanding flight plans from Turkish state aircraft and allegations of "infringements of the Athens FIR".

Besides the abuse of its FIR responsibility, Greece claims a 10 nautical mile national airspace over territorial waters of 6 nautical miles. This arbitrary claim is a Greek attempt to reduce the international airspace of the Aegean by 50 percent.

Greece has been blatantly violating this demilitarized status since the mid 1960's. The treaty has established a direct link between sovereignty of Dodecanese islans that are so close to the Turkish mainland and their demilitarized status, taking into consideration the security requirements of Turkey. A similar arrangement has been also stipulated by the 1923 Lausanne Peace Treaty concerning the North Eastern Aegean islands. Their demilitarized status is also being violated by Greece. This issue is one of the main disputes between Greece and Turkey. For ease of reference the text of the Article 14 of the 1947 Paris Peace Treaty is quoted hereafter.

" 1-Italy hereby cedes to Greece in full sovereignty the Dodacanese Islands indicated hereafter, namley Stampalia (Astropalia), Rhodes (Rhodos), Calki (Kharki), Scarpanto, Casos (Casso), Piscopis (Tilos), Misiros (Niyros), Calimnos (Kalymnos), Leros, Patmos, Lipsos (Lipso), Simi (Symi), Cos (Kos) and Castellorizo, as well as the adjacent islets.

2-These islands shall be and shall remain demilitarized. "

Edited by Southerneighbr - 16-Jul-2007 at 23:18
Knight
Knight

Quote Southerneighbr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Jul-2007 at 22:32

3. Same as #2 and my previous #3 lol

Of what i see in the neutral sources Turkey seems as legally covered as Greece is.

My point is that while i consider Turkey an expansionist country i also consider Greece one too.Regardless of its EU entry Greece has prooven in the past as history has shown to be an extremely expansionist country(Macedonia,Thrace,Cyprus in the past but even now masked under a pretext of reunification,Aegean monopoly etc).

Regardless of what the Greek citizens wanna think to justify their position i refuse to believe that Greece has been a ''blessed'' country.To my eyes Greece is the same if not worse than Turkey,and i abide by it.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 11>