Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Homer was a woman !!??

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Akolouthos View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Akolouthos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Homer was a woman !!??
    Posted: 21-Jul-2006 at 22:15
Originally posted by Flipper

Haha, well said. Basically many have tryed to make a fuzz over something in order to get attention. I mean if Dan Brown for example releases a book of poor quality, he will definetely sell more of it than he would sell if he was not that famous.

The same holds true for art. Ever seen any of Pollock's early work? Fantastic stuff. Then he realized that all he had to do to make money was get most of his paint on a canvas.

As for Dan Brown...rrrgh. Because of his shoddy research and his pension for misinformation, as well as all of the uninformed people willing to gobble it up in order to have something other than "the man" to talk about in coffee houses, we will be a long time setting the record straight.

-Akolouthos
Goban View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Goban Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Jul-2006 at 08:59
Originally posted by Pantagathus

To paraphrase Mr. Dalby (liberally), it's probably best not to use that term in this case because 'Bard' specifically refers to a Celtic vagabond minstrel who sucked up to chieftains & heroes for a free meal.

Oh, I see. Mr. Dalby wasn't a feminist... he was ethnocentric. Tongue

Edited by Goban - 22-Jul-2006 at 09:02
The sharpest spoon in the drawer.
Andrew Dalby View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote Andrew Dalby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Jul-2006 at 09:04
Originally posted by Arbr Z

This Mr.Dalby apparently is also a master of cuisine, and a gastrohistorian.
I love epics, is true, but I dont have the time to read nonserious researchers.

I'm a social historian, Arbr Z. And, I claim, a serious one. But you're right: we ought to read the epics first, and the researchers afterwards if we have time. Incidentally, I wish I knew more about the oral epics of Albania. I found out a little when I was researching on oral epic traditions, in preparation for this book. That made me want to find more, but it's very difficult to discover anything on this subject.
Andrew
http://perso.wanadoo.fr/dalby/
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Jul-2006 at 11:01
I look forward to reading your book, Mr Dalby. And having not the object of your thesis for about 5~10 years, I am not really in a position to say anything. But, this question has to be asked, what makes you specifically think that it is a women? Are you just saying that "we should not presume that Homer was a man, she could be a women"? Or is it something that your training picked up?
I mean there is IMO no way to tell what gender the author is. having read all of George Elliot's novels, I can safely say that as a layman, that if I did not know the author's identity beforehand, I would be none the wiser about her gender, by merely going over the text of Silas Marner, or Mill on the Floss.
Arbr Z View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Arbr Z Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Jul-2006 at 13:38
Originally posted by Andrew Dalby

This Mr.Dalby apparently is also a master of cuisine, and a gastrohistorian.
I love epics, is true, but I dont have the time to read nonserious researchers.

I'm a social historian, Arbr Z. And, I claim, a serious one. But you're right: we ought to read the epics first, and the researchers afterwards if we have time. Incidentally, I wish I knew more about the oral epics of Albania. I found out a little when I was researching on oral epic traditions, in preparation for this book. That made me want to find more, but it's very difficult to discover anything on this subject.

Hello Mr.Dalby
Do you believe that there was a single author to the poems (Illiad and Odyssea)? Actually it is more probable that these were part of the oral traditon of the time (Like with the Gilghamesh Epic, scribes were writing down what they heard from some rhapsodes. This poems were sung, therefore we can coll them also "bards"). I really doubt that Homer (if he existed), created the poems.
What is the importance of the sex of the author (if there is one author)? I ve read many claiming that Shakespeare was a woman, that Da Vinci was a gay etc etc. well, in my opinion the sexuality of a genial mind is not very important. But still, I am of the opinion that the author of the epic tales were the ancient greeks, and they cannot be referred as feminine or masculine.
Prej heshtjes...!
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Jul-2006 at 18:58

[QUOTE=Pantagathus]

Read the Illiad and the Oddyssey, then if you got time read Dalby, but I would advise you to wait a bit, time should pass before you read Dalby, if not you will not enjoy the poems.

Is there something in my post that gives you the impression that I have not read both works?

I have, numerous times.

Arbr Z View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Arbr Z Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Jul-2006 at 20:13
Originally posted by Pantagathus

[QUOTE=Pantagathus]

Read the Illiad and the Oddyssey, then if you got time read Dalby, but I would advise you to wait a bit, time should pass before you read Dalby, if not you will not enjoy the poems.

Is there something in my post that gives you the impression that I have not read both works?

I have, numerous times.

Actually it wasnt directed to you (personally). The point is that people often run after reinterpretations of facts, made by others, as much as they forget about the documents. Why should somebody start a research in Homers'sexuality, we still do not know the author of the opera. And if we, anyway get obsessed and need to know the sex of the author, then read the opera, and make your own interpretation. The point is that people now less and lesser use their mind activelly, as they are getting used to believe everything that's told in internet or in the medias.
Prej heshtjes...!
Andrew Dalby View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote Andrew Dalby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Jul-2006 at 14:21

Do you believe that there was a single author to the poems (Illiad and Odyssea)? Actually it is more probable that these were part of the oral traditon of the time (Like with the Gilghamesh Epic, scribes were writing down what they heard from some rhapsodes. This poems were sung, therefore we can coll them also "bards"). I really doubt that Homer (if he existed), created the poems.
What is the importance of the sex of the author (if there is one author)? I ve read many claiming that Shakespeare was a woman, that Da Vinci was a gay etc etc. well, in my opinion the sexuality of a genial mind is not very important. But still, I am of the opinion that the author of the epic tales were the ancient greeks, and they cannot be referred as feminine or masculine.

I agree with you totally: they were part of oral tradition. They give us, not just the thoughts of any one author, but of a whole culture through several generations.

Now I can understand the argument that says "Therefore, the personality of the poet who got this material written down doesn't matter. It was already there, in the poetic tradition. There's no single personality involved!"

Yes, but my belief about oral tradition is that in reality each performance is different. The poet who finally made the two epics that were recorded in writing, was an astonishing genius, for these poems have been read and enjoyed, for nearly 3000 years, by many more people than almost any other written work. And the strange thing is that ancient Greek texts don't tell us anything about the occasion when these two poems were written down. That's the occasion that I tried to focus on. I wanted to find out more about it. I saw some evidence -- not conclusive, but persuasive -- that suggested to me that a woman (a member of a family of oral poets) might have been responsible. I won't tell you all my arguments here, but I began to feel that this explained some puzzles about the Iliad and Odyssey.

What's the importance of the sex of the poet? Again, a good question. Maybe of very little importance. Except that we always assume it was a man. I wanted to open the question up. Read this response by a classics professor --

'Anthony Snodgrass, emeritus professor of classical archaeology at Cambridge University, said The Odyssey could have been written by a woman because it is about "a world at peace in general terms, with domesticity, fidelity ... endurance and determination rather than aggression". 

But he added: "The idea of a woman writing The Iliad and not being bored out of her mind by the endless fighting and killings is a bit more far-fetched."'

So he thinks that half the world's population would be "bored out of her mind" by the Iliad? I hope I can make people who think like that, think again!

Andrew
http://perso.wanadoo.fr/dalby/
Arbr Z View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Arbr Z Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Jul-2006 at 12:54
The Emeritus Prof. Snodgrass believes that the Odyssey could have been written down by a woman, just because the story is peaceful?Is this a stereotypization of sexes or what? Who says that a man doesnt like peace, or that he does enjoy war?And what about Odyssey sleeping with every woman or nymph that he met during the 10 years of his journey, while Penelope was loyal to a husband who was believed dead?Is this what a woman could write?How come this woman knows in details the naval techniques of the time, as well as the sailors customs?Was she a sailor woman?
And saying that the one who wrote down the epics was a genius, well this is discutible too. First, the genius is the people who created the stories, not the scribe, who probably didnt add much. You have the example of the orthodox icons (portraits of saints). They are painted in the same way, obbeying to the same cannons, and yes, we can appraise the painters, but we can assume that they are not "creative".
Second, who said that the poems or the songs were written down by a single man??
Prej heshtjes...!
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Jul-2006 at 14:09
mr dalby?ms dalby probably
Stephanos View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote Stephanos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Dec-2006 at 19:00
No one really knows who Homer was, they said there were a group of priests that called themself for "Homer" that wrote the iliad. Some people say it was a women.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Dec-2006 at 09:45
Good that he was, if he indeed was.
Istor the Macedonian View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Istor the Macedonian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Dec-2006 at 17:37
In contrary I think that, based on several tales, there was ONE person who concatenated the stories to make one story as educational as modern encyclopaedias.

One of his name etymologies that I love most is from "omou" (= together) + eeraron (to lace, ee = eta)

ομού + ήραρον =Όμηρος.

Homer means the rapsoodos ( oo = omega) the person who concatenated several stories (songs) to make one great story.

Edited by Istor the Macedonian - 26-Dec-2006 at 17:44
Istor
Macedonian, therefore Greek!
The_Jackal_God View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote The_Jackal_God Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Jan-2007 at 23:57
"A Million Little Authors"
pekau View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Atlantean Prophet

Quote pekau Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Jan-2007 at 23:23
Well, I thought Da Vinci Code was a great book. Inaccurate, yes. But that's why it's a fiction book. I enjoyed the plot and the ideas, though some are not true in terms of history.

And Homer is a woman? Where's the evidence? Reference?

Join us.
Praetorian View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Praetorian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Jan-2007 at 02:58
Homer was a woman!? Wacko  HAHAHAHAHAHA LOL  Yea and Nile Armstrong was rilly Melly Armstrong...   And I did not exist.  We never went to the moon.   And  JFK is alive  Wacko     Dear God whats going on with are history...  
Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris
--If Caesar were alive, you'd be chained to an oar.

"game over!! man game over!!"
Top Gun View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Suspended

Quote Top Gun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Jan-2007 at 04:17
thats ridiculous because this story is written in helen times and women didn't had much privilege at that time
Patrinos View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Patrinos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Jan-2007 at 10:12
Originally posted by Top Gun

thats ridiculous because this story is written in helen times and women didn't had much privilege at that time

Sappho made it a little bit later.
"Hellenes are crazy but they have a wise God"
Kolokotronis
New User View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote New User Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-May-2007 at 22:59

Boo to all these flippant comments of Homer not being a women and  asking where is the evidence, flip it on its head where is the evidence of Homer being a man? In fact where is the evidence that Homer as one person actually existed?

I say, there is no conclusive evidence of either, so don't laugh just open your mind and ponder.Shocked

Edited by New User - 01-Jun-2007 at 19:57
TranHungDao View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Quote TranHungDao Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Jun-2007 at 05:38
Originally posted by Komnenos

Dr Dalby, whose study, Rediscovering Homer, will be published by W. W. Norton in September, said: It is possible, even probable, that this poet was a woman. As a working hypothesis, this helps to explain certain features in which these epics are better more subtle, more complex, more universal than most others.

Ridiculous.  The most probable explanation/speculation for the "more subtle, more complex, more universal than most others" is that Homer was gay or bisexual, which was very common back then in ancient Greek (and Roman) society.

Put it this way:  If Homer were alive nowadays, he'd probably frequent the Pottery Barn.  Ermm

Looks like squeaky wheel phenomena:  Make controversial assertions to sell books and/or get attention.

Originally posted by Komnenos

No Ponce, it's not about Homer Simpson.

Hmm.  Obviously a preemptive strike against a trouble maker.  LOL
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>