Print Page | Close Window

Prince of Persia

Printed From: History Community ~ All Empires
Category: All Empires Community
Forum Name: Gaming and Information Technology
Forum Discription: Technology and Computer-related discussions; PC and Video Games…
URL: http://www.allempires.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=6954
Printed Date: 28-Mar-2024 at 09:44
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 9.56a - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Prince of Persia
Posted By: Belisarius
Subject: Prince of Persia
Date Posted: 15-Nov-2005 at 01:05
Has anyone played the recent games in this series, "Sands of Time" and "Warrior Within"? I am not too familiar with Persian history after the Sassanids, so perhaps one with familiarity can help me.

My friend and I were arguing over the historical basis, if any, of the game's setting. I understand that it is meant to be a fantasy setting, but my friend and I are history losers and are trying very hard to make sense of the whole thing. The presence of a 'Babylon' suggests that the game takes place sometime before the Common Era as Babylon was already a desolate place by the time of Parthian dominance. The ships seen at the begining of the "Warrior Within" look very much like Mediterranean galleys from before the Common Era. However, the presence of a sultan and the characters' style of dress suggest that these games take place after the Arab conquests. So, it can perhaps be inferred that this Babylon might be a elaborate form of Baghdad.

After this confusion, we took into account the proximity of an Indian kingdom such that it would be subject to raids like the one seen in the begining of "Sands of Time". The only occasions in which the Persia, under foreign or native rule, was in such proximity to the Indus Valley or beyond was during the reigns of the Sassanids, the Khwarezmids, and the Timurids. So in that vein we made some success, knowing that the time period could not have been past the 15th century.

This was when the conversation ended. Does anyone have any ideas?

Replies:
Posted By: Imperator Invictus
Date Posted: 15-Nov-2005 at 01:17
I've not played Warrior Within, but I think Sands of Time should be considered to take place during the Samanid era (900s AD). One of the central characters is the Sultan of Azad. I don't think any kingdoms had a "Sultan" as a ruler until around the end of the Samanid empire.

However, "Azad" is not a real place, to my knowlege.

The Indian kingdom in Sands was a minor kingdom.

Sands of Time is definately very popularized in its portrayal of characters, all of whom are very similar to those in the Disney movie "Alladin."

-------------

Posted By: Fighter Darrwn Shan
Date Posted: 15-Nov-2005 at 11:46
the worrior within was great i love beating the monsters and the levels are cool to

Date Posted: 15-Nov-2005 at 13:54

Originally posted by Imperator Invictus

I've not played Warrior Within, but I think Sands of Time should be considered to take place during the Samanid era (900s AD). One of the central characters is the Sultan of Azad. I don't think any kingdoms had a "Sultan" as a ruler until around the end of the Samanid empire.

However, "Azad" is not a real place, to my knowlege.

The Indian kingdom in Sands was a minor kingdom.

Sands of Time is definately very popularized in its portrayal of characters, all of whom are very similar to those in the Disney movie "Alladin."

Oh that's right. The Samanids controlled about half of the Indus Valley at their height and would have been able to launch raids against Indian kingdoms.

As for Azad, I understand that "Azad Kashmir" is part of Pakistan, in which is included all of the Indus Valley.

Perhaps there is logic in the setting after all.

-------------

Posted By: Zagros
Date Posted: 15-Nov-2005 at 14:53

I thought his name was Azad, and azad means free, Azad kashmir would be called that for politcal reasons.

In the story board of the first one there is mention made of the great Iranian hero Rostam and the Prince's father is called Ardashir.  I agree that the time period most closely resembles Samanid.  But it is a fantasy game afterall so they will throw in all sorts of other stuff to make it look and feel cooler..

-------------

Posted By: Temujin
Date Posted: 15-Nov-2005 at 16:21
the halebardiers from sands of time looked pretty sassanian, but the architecture was clearly islamic, safavid dynasty onwards i guess. didn't liked Warrior Within, all the great stuff from part 1 was missing (storyline, tricky levels, and especially the architecture) so i probably won't even get the new one. and how they explain Farah appearing in the new game? she can't remember all the stuff that happened in part 1.

-------------

Posted By: Zagros
Date Posted: 15-Nov-2005 at 17:21
Actually that kind of architecture was inherited from the Sassanids and developed to new levels in the Islamic period in areas with strong Iranian cultural influences such as Central Asia, Afghanistan and India. Much of the pre-Safavid architecture was raised tot he ground by the Mongols and Temur.

-------------

Posted By: Super Goat (^_^)
Date Posted: 15-Nov-2005 at 22:40
Farah appearing in the new game? she can't remember all the stuff that happened in part 1

that wasnt farah, it was another person. farah wasnt an "empress" ruling over an island..right?

cmon guys, its a game. They've mixed everything from every time period. Its about persia, yet on the game cover and in certain levels of sands of time, you'd see arabic writing all over the place.Confused

great games btw, both of em. i love the game music as well. lookin forward to the next one

Posted By: Temujin
Date Posted: 16-Nov-2005 at 16:58
no, the girl from Warrior Within is the empress of time, Farah will reappear in the upcomign title.

-------------

Posted By: Super Goat (^_^)
Date Posted: 16-Nov-2005 at 18:08
aaah, never mind. by new game i thought u meant warrior within, my bad sry

Date Posted: 18-Nov-2005 at 12:46

Originally posted by Super Goat (^_^)

cmon guys, its a game. They've mixed everything from every time period. Its about persia, yet on the game cover and in certain levels of sands of time, you'd see arabic writing all over the place.Confused

Aaaaand the mood is killed. I doubt anyone here doubts the fact that it's just a game. We're just trying to have fun here.

-------------

Posted By: Laelius
Date Posted: 19-Nov-2005 at 15:49

Well remember Temujin when the Prince killed the Empress of Time in the present in WW he prevented the sand from being created and thus prevented the Maharaja from finding them.  Yet why the hell doesn't time reverse like it did in SoT

Anyways from what I can tell the drab mediocrity of WWs atmosphere will be replaced by the artistic and musical elments from SoT.  I think PoP3 will finally get it right.

Print Page | Close Window

Bulletin Board Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 9.56a - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2009 Web Wiz - http://www.webwizguide.com