Print Page | Close Window

Practice Game Diplomacy 1600--DipAE02

Printed From: History Community ~ All Empires
Category: All Empires Community
Forum Name: Gaming and Information Technology
Forum Discription: Technology and Computer-related discussions; PC and Video Games…
URL: http://www.allempires.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=6347
Printed Date: 25-Apr-2024 at 02:56
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 9.56a - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Practice Game Diplomacy 1600--DipAE02
Posted By: hugoestr
Subject: Practice Game Diplomacy 1600--DipAE02
Date Posted: 19-Oct-2005 at 11:31

This is the practice game for the benefit of new players so that they can understand how to move and the pace of the game.

We will play one complete year, from Spring 1600 to Spring 1601. At that year we will start the game with the real country designations.

Realpolitik
If you don't have Realpolitik, you can download it here: http://realpolitik.sourceforge.net/ - http://realpolitik.sourceforge.net/

Think of this program as a boardgame set that enforces the rules. It is very important to have; it will help you understand the rules much faster.

You need to install the 1600 variant. The RP files for the 1600 variant:
http://www.graue-substanz.net/ressourcen/downloads/1600_gSModv1.1.zip - 1600 RP files

Extract the files to the 'Variants' folder within the Realpolitik directory.

If you need help using the program, don't hesitate to ask. I am currently preparing some tutorials for the program, and you will see them here soon.

Country-player table
This is countries' designations for the practice game.

Ottoman Empire     Emperor Barbarossa
Poland     glce2003
Denmark JaliscoLancer
England Kilikya
Russia     Maju
Habsburg Mixcoatl
Sweden     morticia
France     Rider
Spain     thediplomat

Order Ettiquete
Try to send orders at the time that you receive the results of the last turn. This will keep the game going and make it more enjoyable for you.

You can always send another set of order before the deadline. If you do so, make it obvious to me that they are a second order by putting in the subject line of the email: "set number #" with the number of the set there. I will use whatever set number is bigger to process your order.

How to write orders
Each turn starts with an order. Write the order of the moves of your units in the following way:

<Unit Type> <Starting Location>-<target Location>
Army Castille-Navarre

To hold your army or fleet in place write
<Unit Type> <Starting Location> HOLD
Fleet Gascony HOLD

To support a move write
<Unit Type> S[UPPORT] <supported Unit Type starting location>-<target location>
Army Novgorod S Army Moscow-Tula

Feel free to use abreviation: A-army, F-fleet, H-hold, S-support. To get the proper abreviations for spaces on the board, please consult the information in Realpolitik by clicking Window->info.

Missing player rules

To make the move of the missing player more fair, I want everyone to send me your desired moves to the Ottoman Empire as if you controled it. I will count each order as a vote.

In case of a tie, I will randomly select the move of the most popular orders. If I only get one order for Ottoman Empire, I will use it. So it is in your best interest to send Ottoman orders too

Replies:
Date Posted: 19-Oct-2005 at 11:40
Deadline for first orders:
OCT 24 8:00 -5 GMT.

That is
1:00 PM GMT
8:00 AM U.S. Eastern Time
5:00 PM U.S. Pacific Time

That is 8:00 local time , U.S. Eastern Time.

-------------

Posted By: Kilikya
Date Posted: 20-Oct-2005 at 08:30

i see your deadline is sunday...it won't be a problem now but i am always up in the yayla on weekends and never connect

Date Posted: 20-Oct-2005 at 09:41
Then after this turn I will move it into the week

-------------

Posted By: Maju
Date Posted: 20-Oct-2005 at 10:16
Why did you give so long deadlines for the practice game? 2 days per turn should suffice. We just need to find out how to move the units and so on, no diplomacy expected. 

-------------

NO GOD, NO MASTER!

Date Posted: 20-Oct-2005 at 10:22
It was because of the weekend. I have access to computers during the week

-------------

Posted By: rider
Date Posted: 20-Oct-2005 at 14:09
Well. it is just two/three quick turns with just game cards moving and nothing else.. i don't believe that any battles will occur.

-------------

Posted By: morticia
Date Posted: 20-Oct-2005 at 15:40
Good Day:

rider wrote: ".. i don't believe that any battles will occur."

Then, I propose that we create some battles so I can get a better feel for when to support and/or convoy, etcetera.... I am still a little unclear as to how or when you get to build an army or a fleet. I think maybe re-creating those situations could help me. Just a suggestion!

-------------
"Morty

Trust in God: She will provide." -- Emmeline Pankhurst

Date Posted: 20-Oct-2005 at 19:20
Hopefully the year-round micro-game will have most of these situations. We will definitively move around and build at in the winter turn. Supports are likely to happen but if you want to try order the following:

A Finland - Ingria
A Estonia supports A Finland Ingria

I can then order A Novgorod - Ingria and you win the battle (2 vs. 1). This is a good example of support.

Convoys are less likely to happen. But it is up to the players that have fleets. In any case they can't happen before the fall, because fleets must be in sea provinces to be able to convoy. Order F Stockholm-Baltic Sea, and I'll tell you how to convoy in the fall.

Retreats are another thing that may not happen in the first year. When a defending unit is defeated by a stronger attack, it is declared to be dislodged and it must retreat to any adjacent vacant province to which it can move normally (no convoys, fleets must follow coasts/seas, armies can't enter seas). Aditionally that province must have not been the scenario of a battle in that turn. When a unit can't retreat it is automatically disbanded. You can also voluntarily disband it in this case.

The GM will provide for special short retreat turns when needed.

-------------

NO GOD, NO MASTER!

Date Posted: 20-Oct-2005 at 19:42
More technicalities on supports and convoys:

Support (S):

A support is cut when the unit ordered to support is attacked by another unit, diferent from the one against which the support is intended.

You can't cut support provided by your own units nor you can order valid support against your own units.

Convoy (C):

The convoy has many simmilarities with the support order. But also some notable diferences. Like when supporting, a fleet convoying does not move. Also, as with support, there must be two coherent orders: one for the convoying fleet and another one for the convoyed army (fleets can't be convoyed).

The originalities of the convoy are the following:
  • A convoy is not cut like a support by simply attacking the unit providing it. To cut a convoy the opponent must efectively dislodge the convoying fleet.
  • Several contiguous fleets (as many as you can muster, yours or of your allies) can make a chain convoy. Each fleet must then be ordered to convoy the army from its origin to its destination. The army is ordered normally to move.
Example: England and Spain agree to convoy English A Scotland to Morocco. They have enough contiguous fleets in North Sea, English Channel and Mid Atlantic Ocean. The correct orders would be as follow:
F North Sea convoys A Scotland-Morocco
F English Channel convoys A Scotland-Morocco
F Mid Atlantic Ocean convoys A Scotland-Morocco
A Scotland-Morocco
  • Two or more diferent routes can be provided for the same convoy. This prevents the convoy being cut by dislodgement of one of the fleets.
  • This is an odd rule: convoy takes precedence over land route. Example:
A Normandy-Spanish Netherlands
F English Channel convoys A Normandy-Spanish Netherlands

... means that A Normandy is making a sea trip into Antwerp and not a land march into Brussels. This can have some odd efects but it is very rare to find it. Most normally the fleet would be supporting and not convoying.

-------------

NO GOD, NO MASTER!

Posted By: gcle2003
Date Posted: 21-Oct-2005 at 07:58

I'm never sure if a fleet convoying an army also supports it?

That is really three questions.

Does it support automatically (not unreasonable)?

Does it support if ordered to 'convoy and support'?

Can it not support at all?

Date Posted: 21-Oct-2005 at 08:05

I believe it can't support at all, because it is basically jsut transporting and the fleet never leaves the province as in supporting the fleet is inglined to move to the province to support it.

But fro convoying to work, morticia, you should aswell know that:

A ?????Bar???? - Stockholm

F Stockholm - Baltic Sea

or else it will not work and on the next turn:

A Stockholm - Prussia

F Baltic Sea convoys A Stocholm - Prussia.

-------------

Date Posted: 21-Oct-2005 at 11:09
Originally posted by gcle2003

I'm never sure if a fleet convoying an army also supports it?

That is really three questions.

Does it support automatically (not unreasonable)?

Does it support if ordered to 'convoy and support'?

Can it not support at all?

The last one: one unit can only do one thing at a time and any unit can only do one of these four things: hold (default), move, support or (eXclussive OR) convoy (only fleets).

If you order a unit to do two diferent things it will do nothing (misordered).

So, no: convoying fleets cannot support in any case.

-------------

NO GOD, NO MASTER!

Date Posted: 21-Oct-2005 at 11:14
Thank you, Maju, for the thorough explanation. I will follow your recommendations.

Thanks Rider. Now, when you say order:

A Stockholm - Prussia
F Baltic Sea convoys A Stocholm - Prussia

does that mean that Sweden will then have a fleet and an army in Prussia? Assuming another country is in Prussia or has ordered an army to Prussia, then nobody moves?

-------------
"Morty

Date Posted: 21-Oct-2005 at 11:18

If it works out, then your army moves to prussia, and your fleet stays at Baltic Sea. If another country does the same thing the nnothing will happen.

If you would convoy it to Livonia then on the next turn you could attack with the army prussia, supporting the army with your navy.

-------------

Date Posted: 21-Oct-2005 at 11:30
Got it! thanks

-------------
"Morty

Date Posted: 21-Oct-2005 at 15:43
Originally posted by rider

If it works out, then your army moves to prussia, and your fleet stays at Baltic Sea. If another country does the same thing the nnothing will happen.

Well, not exactly: a battle happens. This has some importance if a nearby unit has to retreat: you cannot retreat to the scenario of a recent battle, as everything is supposed to happen +/- simultaneously).

-------------

NO GOD, NO MASTER!

Date Posted: 22-Oct-2005 at 02:32
Well, that yes, but it isn't totally connected to the scenario now.

-------------

Date Posted: 24-Oct-2005 at 00:21
what is and how do you "blitz"?

-------------
"Morty

Date Posted: 24-Oct-2005 at 02:14
Well, I have no idea what it is in the game, but I believe that it is in the form of some quick attack plan. It must be a strategy as there are four different types of moves only (convoy, support, move, hold)

-------------

Date Posted: 24-Oct-2005 at 10:43
Two annoucements. First I have two orders missing. I will try to contact those two people who failed to send their orders, and I will extend the deadline to tomorrow, but I will post the results as soon as I get the orders from them.

Second, Emperor Barbarossa leaves the game, we need another player. In the mean time, we will keep voting the moves of Ottoman Empire.

-------------

Date Posted: 24-Oct-2005 at 14:53

Originally posted by morticia

what is and how do you "blitz"?

a1) linebackers and defensive backs charge through the offensive line

a2) when you think you can sack the quarterback

b1) heavy armoured divisions rush forward with tactical air support without waiting for the infantry

b2) when you have sufficient armour and air superiority.

What either of those have to do with Diplomacy I have no idea

Date Posted: 24-Oct-2005 at 14:58
Well, it is most probably a off-opic question or soem formationo of quick attack... most probably created when your armies easily overrun helf of the enemy in a year or destroy enemy armies quickly...????

-------------

Date Posted: 25-Oct-2005 at 14:47
Results for Spring:

Moves:

Denmark:
A Jutland, no move received
A Zealand, no move received
A Scania, no move received
F Vestlandet, no move received

England:
F Ireland - North Atlantic Ocean
A Wales - Cornwall
F London - English Channel

France:
A Paris - Champagne
F Gascony - Navarre
A Burgundy - France Comte
A Provence - Savoy

HabsburgEmpire:
A Bohemia - Bavaria
A Austria - Venice (*Fails*)
A Croatia - Western Hungary

OttomanEmpire:
A Egypt - Syria
A Anatolia - Armenia
F Constantinople - Greece
A Greece - Illyria

Poland:
A White Russia - Livonia
A Warsaw - Volhynia
A Cracow - Transylvania

Russia:
A Voronezj - Tula (*Bounce*)
A Moscow - Tula (*Bounce*)
A Novgorod - Ingria (*Fails*)

Spain:
A Flanders - Lorraine
A Naples - Rome
A Castille Hold
F Granada - Portugal

Sweden:
A Finland - Ingria
A Estonia Supports A Finland - Ingria
F Stockholm - Baltic Sea
A Bergsl*gen - Stockholm

Movement in 1600

Map of the Beginning of Fall, 1600

Deadline for orders of Fall 1600:
Thursday, 27, 2005 at 9:00 -5 GMT.

-------------

Date Posted: 25-Oct-2005 at 15:18

It seems to me that holding now in Spain is quite useless. Much wiser would have been fleet to western mediterranean and Castile-portugal so you would have gotten one chance to get North Africa and you would have gotten four new centers.'

'I am wonderfully surprised as Poland can get up to three centers whilst i thought only two were availiable.

-------------

Date Posted: 25-Oct-2005 at 21:13
The Tzar demands the inmediate retreat of the Swedish forces in Ingria. We have to build there our Winter Palace, else three centuries from now, the peasants won't be able to take it, found the Soviet Union, etc. We appeal to Our cousin of Stockholm to consider the unpredictable consequences that this unprovoked agression will have in the space-time continuum. What will happen if the Soviet Union is founded in Swedish lands. Maybe the USA will be in Norway (hence changing its name to USN) and the Cold War will be even colder and Ho Chi Min will be born in Lappland and all may end with Santa Claus having to emigrate to Jamaica and herding igoanas instead of rheins.

Do you imagine a Rastafarian Santa?!

We need Ingria to build Our Winter Palace and restore coherence to future history. We hope that Our Swedish cousin understands the seriousness and trascendence of this issue and retreats promtly from Our province of Ingria.

In exchange we will gift Alaska to Sweden as soon as we have reached it, in the hope that the distortion of the future will be smaller in this case, due to the lack of any Winter Palace in that faraway territory. Though it may affect a sitcom or two.

-------------

NO GOD, NO MASTER!

Date Posted: 25-Oct-2005 at 22:20
Good news!

Thegeneral is taking over Ottoman Empire for the practice game, and Poland in the real game.

Thanks!

-------------

Date Posted: 25-Oct-2005 at 22:23
More news:

I got a message from morticia saying that he will not be able to make this turn, due to some circumstances that make it very difficult to get online.

I am hoping that he will be able to join us back soon.

In the mean time, please submit orders for Sweden for the next turn.

-------------

Date Posted: 26-Oct-2005 at 02:06

Well, you might think them yourselves but not order the fleet into prussia.

Maju, i am practically sure that the winter palace can be built by Swedish instead for in this era they were better architects...

-------------

Date Posted: 26-Oct-2005 at 06:50

Polish intelligence reports that heads are rolling among the Russian general staff after the confusion that resulted in the failure of Russian armies to advance on Poland. Morale in the armies is reported to be at a low level as a result.

Meanwhile the Polish High Command reassures the people of the eastern regions that they are confident of their ability to considerably reinforce  local garrisons in the near future.

Date Posted: 26-Oct-2005 at 07:23
Originally posted by hugoestr

More news:

I got a message from morticia saying that he will not be able to make this turn, due to some circumstances that make it very difficult to get online.

Morticia is she (I'm pretty sure).

-------------

NO GOD, NO MASTER!

Date Posted: 26-Oct-2005 at 07:29
Originally posted by gcle2003

Polish intelligence reports that heads are rolling among the Russian general staff after the confusion that resulted in the failure of Russian armies to advance on Poland. Morale in the armies is reported to be at a low level as a result.

Meanwhile the Polish High Command reassures the people of the eastern regions that they are confident of their ability to considerably reinforce  local garrisons in the near future.

Ehm... Tula is Russian territory, do not start making any unfounded claims in our land now, please. We were making a defensive maneouvre and some military exercesises to stretch our muscles. You know that of Red and Blue and let's see who takes the hill using only fake ammo. Both armies were so efficient that it eneded up in a tie with red blue and Russian flag waving proudly side by side on top of the hill.

For the fall, we have planned some more realistic exercises in the south, where Tatars are becoming a public order problem that must be solved.

-------------

NO GOD, NO MASTER!

Date Posted: 26-Oct-2005 at 10:57
Originally posted by Maju

More news:

I got a message from morticia saying that he will not be able to
make this turn, due to some circumstances that make it very difficult
to get online.

Morticia is <span style="font-weight: bold;">she </span>(I'm pretty sure).

If this is the case, I am sorry . I am just using the defeault pronoun, which still happens to be "he." Sexist? Yes, but there is nothing better available that is not cumbersome

Still, I think that that is something that Morticia will have to settle.

-------------

Date Posted: 26-Oct-2005 at 11:40
You may always use 'it' but then someone might smite you to dust... or laugh as hell.

-------------

Date Posted: 26-Oct-2005 at 16:58
Hey...I heard all of that!!!

Hugo...you can change the default pronoun to "SHE" because I am, in fact, a female species! Thank you , Maju, for recalling that!   

Okay, I'm back in the game. I no longer have any problems login in. However, I'm not used to building armies, just Barbie's poolhouse (and that was a mission!), hence, all my (probably what you all consider mundane) questions....

So, now, let's get back to the game:

Rider...why should Sweden not convoy to Prussia. That was going to be my next move...convoy my stockholm army with my fleet in Baltic Sea into Prussia...isn't that a good convoy move?

Maju...I now see that your move nto ingria failed because I supported my finland army into Ingria.(am I clear so far?) Now, that means my army is in Ingria. Correct? And now you want me to leave it because..........(fill in the blank please) I don't think I want to give you a winter palace there!!! So what the next strategy move? Do I detect a hint of a possible alliance?!!

-------------
"Morty

Date Posted: 26-Oct-2005 at 17:03
I am so glad that you can participate again, Morticia!

-------------

Posted By: TheDiplomat
Date Posted: 27-Oct-2005 at 06:09
I am glad as well

-------------
ARDA:The best Turkish diplomat ever!

Date Posted: 27-Oct-2005 at 07:39

Originally posted by TheDiplomat

I am glad as well

My feelings are mixed

Not really though

Date Posted: 27-Oct-2005 at 08:53
I know whatch you mean

-------------

Date Posted: 27-Oct-2005 at 09:24
I don't know the Swedish provinces, I thoguht that there was a border just below Stockholm.

-------------

Date Posted: 27-Oct-2005 at 15:17
I am missing one order. Please send me a mail with it by tomorrow at 9:00 -5 GMT.

-------------

Date Posted: 28-Oct-2005 at 17:47
I am still missing the order, and I am trying to work out some arrangement with the player.

I will publish the results on Monday morning.

-------------

Date Posted: 29-Oct-2005 at 11:14
Jalisco Lancer is officially out of the game. Until we get a replacement, we will vote his moves in the real game. I will move his units in the practice game.

I will start the real game next week.

-------------

Date Posted: 29-Oct-2005 at 11:24
Do we have an adjudication? 

-------------

NO GOD, NO MASTER!

Date Posted: 30-Oct-2005 at 08:12

I will start the real game next week.

Could we have a final list of the players/countries/e-mail addresses?

(Please?)

Date Posted: 30-Oct-2005 at 11:08
We don't have one player i believe...

-------------

Date Posted: 30-Oct-2005 at 13:44
Yes, we are missing one.

And we will have an adjudication and winter builds for the practice game. I meant to include this in my last letter, but I somehow didn't.

Once we are done with the practice group, I will send the current list of players, before the real game starts.

-------------

Date Posted: 31-Oct-2005 at 09:47
Results:

Retreats due tomorrow at 9:00AM -6:00 GMT.

The March of Times:
France and Spain enter into major conflict: Spain, rules Navarre; France controls Lorraine; mutual armies must retreat.

Denmark:
A Jutland - Holstein
A Zealand - Jutland
A Scania - Sea of Bornholm (*Fails*)
F Vestlandet - Norwegian Sea

England:
F North Atlantic Ocean - Scotland
F English Channel Convoys A Cornwall - Brittany
A Cornwall - Brittany

France:
A Savoy Hold
A France Comte - Lorraine
F Navarre - Portugal (*Dislodged*)
A Champagne Supports A France Comte - Lorraine

HabsburgEmpire:
A Western Hungary - Serbia (*Bounce*)
A Austria - Western Hungary (*Fails*)
A Bavaria Hold

OttomanEmpire:
A Syria - Armenia
A Armenia - Azerbaijan
F Greece - Constantinople
A Illyria - Serbia (*Bounce*)

Poland:
A Transylvania Hold
A Livonia - Prussia
A Volhynia - Bessarabia

Russia:
A Voronezj - Crimea
A Moscow - Central Asia
A Novgorod Hold

Spain:
A Rome - Naples
A Castille - Navarre
F Portugal Supports A Castille - Navarre
A Lorraine Hold (*Dislodged*)

Sweden:
A Ingria, no move received
F Baltic Sea - Livonia
A Estonia Supports F Baltic Sea - Livonia
A Stockholm Hold

French F Navarre can retreat to Mid-Atlantic Ocean or Bay of
                Biscay or Gascony.
Spanish A Lorraine can retreat to Flanders or Westphalia or
                Hesse or Saxony.

-------------

Date Posted: 31-Oct-2005 at 12:19

Retreat to Gascony was the message sent to the royal armies in Spain.

-------------

Date Posted: 31-Oct-2005 at 12:58
I would like to make some technical or pedagogical comments, specially thinking on novices, using the current season as example:

Examples of wrong moves (notice that occasionally this may be intentionate, instead of a "hold"):
A Scania - Sea of Bornholm (*Fails*)
Obviously Armies can't swim, the troops can only make a visit to the beach but sailing across the sea is not possible for them unless convoyed by a fleet.

Yet maybe the intention of the Danish player was to order it to Zeeland and thought (wrongly) that there was a sea between them. No, in fact Zeeland/Scania act as Constantinople: they are the "land" (canal) between two seas and fleets must enter them to sail between the adjacent seas. But armies have no problem there. The straits are narrow enough to allow them to cross without dificulties (using barrages or local boats, we assume).
A Ingria, no move received
Well, in this case wasn't important surely, but some times forgetting to order a unit can be decissive. Check your orders before you click "send". 

Examples of questionable moves (technically ok but which could have given better results if played diferently):

A Rome - Naples
Spain abandoned his new acquisition without any need, losing a gain. Maybe the Spanish player was confused on when SCs are secured: they are always secured in the Fall season. Only what you have occupied when the winter comes counts as Newly acquired centers. A Rome holds would have been a much better order, specially considering that no unit was threatening Naples.

F Baltic Sea - Livonia
A Estonia Supports F Baltic Sea - Livonia
A Stockholm Hold
Here sweden was fighting against ghosts: it was rather previsible that Poland would order to Prussia (as he actually did) and, even if he ordered against Estonia, there was no risk (1 vs 1: the defender wins). Sweden would have use her fleet much better trying to capture an empty center such as Pomerania. F Baltic Sea - Pomerania would have do it but, probably, much better was:

A Stockholm - Pomerania
F Baltic Sea convoys A Stockholm - Pomerania

Using the season to practice convoys, getting a potentially better position in Germany (Brandenburg is at reach, it can threat Denmark or Poland, depending on circumstances, as well). The movement had been discussed earlier in the game topic, so I actually expected it to happen. With the actual Swede moves, this power doesn't grow in the first year, what seems to weaken its potential, specially because I feel that building a second fleet is essential for Sweden.

It's maybe ok but... wouldn't have been better to build F Constantinople (Turkey also seems to need a second fleet) and send the Fleet to Ionian Sea, taking control of the most strategical Mediterranean Province?

An example of convoy:

Though if I would have been England I would have ordered diferently, specially in the Spring. The English player has provided us all with a good example of convoy that is worth to mention:
A Cornwall - Brittany
You see the mechanics, don't you?

Two examples of dislodgements and retreats:

The French and Spanish players has shown us some good stuff on how close combat is. Each has won a territorial battle expelling the other from a province. Now the two have to send retreat orders for the affected units. Notice that retreats happen in the same regular turn and, not in this case but maybe in others, they can affect the winter status, if the unit can retreat to an open SC. Pay attention to the fact that "open" doesn't mean just that no unit is actully there but also that no battle has taken place in the previous turn.

Hope these comments are of use for you all. Whe we start the true game, I will only make comments with political intentions (unless it is a very technical thing).

-------------

NO GOD, NO MASTER!

Date Posted: 31-Oct-2005 at 13:27
Correction:

I made a couple of mistakes in the moves. Sweden had convoyed to Livonia.

Here are the orders and new maps.

Denmark:
A Jutland - Holstein
A Zealand - Jutland
A Scania - Zealand
F Vestlandet - Norwegian Sea

England:
F North Atlantic Ocean - Scotland
A Cornwall - Brittany

France:
A Savoy Hold
A France Comte - Lorraine
F Navarre - Portugal
A Champagne Supports A France Comte - Lorraine

HabsburgEmpire:
A Western Hungary - Serbia
A Austria - Western Hungary
A Bavaria Hold

OttomanEmpire:
A Syria - Armenia
A Armenia - Azerbaijan
A Illyria - Serbia

Poland:
A Transylvania Hold
A Livonia - Prussia
A Volhynia - Bessarabia

Russia:
A Voronezj - Crimea
A Moscow - Central Asia
A Novgorod Hold

Spain:
A Rome - Naples
A Castille - Navarre
A Lorraine Hold

Sweden:
A Ingria Hold
F Baltic Sea Convoys A Stockholm - Livonia
A Estonia Supports A Stockholm - Livonia
A Stockholm - Livonia

-------------

Date Posted: 31-Oct-2005 at 14:21
Yet another correction:

True move of Spain. Everything else is the same.

Spain:
A Rome - Tuscany
A Castille - Navarre
A Lorraine Hold (*Dislodged*)

-------------

Date Posted: 01-Nov-2005 at 05:54
My Lorraine army retreats to F.Co

-------------

Posted By: Kapikulu
Date Posted: 01-Nov-2005 at 07:05
Hi there, I am back.I was not entering AE for a while but now I am regularly checking everyday, so I can take the control of Austria if you accept.

-------------
We gave up your happiness
Your hope would be enough;
we couldn't find neither;
we made up sorrows for ourselves;
we couldn't be consoled;

A Strange Orhan Veli

Date Posted: 01-Nov-2005 at 08:56
WTF? I answred yesterday that I will retreat to Gascony with my fleet... it seems i didn't post it.

-------------

Date Posted: 01-Nov-2005 at 09:16

WTF? I answred yesterday that I will retreat to Gascony with my fleet... it seems i didn't post it.

You did: it's up there, just under the original adjudication.

-------------

NO GOD, NO MASTER!

Date Posted: 01-Nov-2005 at 09:24
Originally posted by TheDiplomat

My Lorraine army retreats to F.Co

You can't. You were attacked from Franche-Comte. You can retreat only to those provinces that fulfill the following requirements:
  • Are unoccupied by any other unit
  • Not the province from where you have been attacked (no, you can't retreat forward)
  • Not a province where a bounce (battle) has taken place in the inmediately previous movement (it's supposed to happen simultaneously, so you would fall under cross-fire)
It's a good idea that GM lists the provinces where armies can retreat to, for instance:

F Navarre can retreat to Gascony, Bay of Biscay, Mid Atlantic Ocean and OTB
A Lorraine can retreat to Flanders, Westfalia, Hessen, Saxony and OTB

OTB stands for off the board and it means that you can also voluntarily disband the unit (the only case out of Winter adjustments when this is posible).

-------------

NO GOD, NO MASTER!

Date Posted: 02-Nov-2005 at 04:53
Then I retreat to Flanders

-------------

Date Posted: 02-Nov-2005 at 11:44
Sorry, I mixed things up and now i am half blind as well.. how couldn't I see the post???

-------------

Date Posted: 02-Nov-2005 at 15:20
See next entry.

-------------

Date Posted: 02-Nov-2005 at 15:20
New Player
Kapikulu takes over Jalisco Lancer's slot. Thanks!

Send Builds
Please send your build orders by tomorrow, Thursday 3,
2005 before 12:55 -6 GMT.
Getting all of your orders
will end the pratice game, and hopefully we can begin
the real game officially on Friday.

Below are the retreats for Autumn and the results for
the year.

Retreat Orders for Autumn, 1600:
France:
F Navarre - Gascony

Spain:
A Lorraine - Flanders

The world, Winter 1600:

Ownership:

Denmark:   Holstein, Jutland, Zealand, Scania,
Vestlandet.
England:   Scotland, Ireland, Wales, London.
France:    Savoy, Paris, Gascony, Burgundy, Provence,
Lorraine.
HabsburgEmpire: Western Hungary, Bohemia, Austria,
Croatia,
            Bavaria.
OttomanEmpire: Egypt, Anatolia, Constantinople,
Greece,
            Azerbaijan.
Poland:    Bessarabia, Transylvania, Prussia, White
Russia,
            Warsaw, Cracow.
Russia:    Central Asia, Crimea, Voronezj, Moscow,
Novgorod.
Spain:     Flanders, Naples, Castille, Granada,
Portugal.
Sweden:    Finland, Estonia, Stockholm, Bergsl*gen.
Unowned:   North Africa, Serbia, Venice, Rome,
Netherlands,
            Bremen, Pomerania, Brandenburg.

Adjustments:

Denmark:   Supp 5 Unit 4 Build 1
England:   Supp 4 Unit 3 Build 1
France:    Supp 6 Unit 4 Build 2
HabsburgEmpire: Supp 5 Unit 3 Build 2
OttomanEmpire: Supp 5 Unit 4 Build 1
Poland:    Supp 6 Unit 3 Build 3
Russia:    Supp 5 Unit 3 Build 2
Spain:     Supp 5 Unit 4 Build 1
Sweden:    Supp 4 Unit 4 Build 0

Notes:
Everyone builds at leat one unit, except Sweden.
Poland got the biggest number of SCs this turn.
The two biggests powers are France and Poland, both
holding 6 SCS.

Maps of retreats and the world in Winter of 1600:

-------------

Date Posted: 03-Nov-2005 at 11:41
I build army Paris and F Provence.

-------------

Date Posted: 03-Nov-2005 at 13:30
"Everyone builds at leat one unit, except Sweden."

-------------
"Morty

Date Posted: 03-Nov-2005 at 14:08
I told you should have taken Pomerania. 

-------------

NO GOD, NO MASTER!

Date Posted: 03-Nov-2005 at 14:37
Maju: you must have me confused with someone else. This is what you asked me to do, and I complied:

Posted: October 20 2005 at 7:20pm | IP Logged     
Hopefully the year-round micro-game will have most of these situations. We will definitively move around and build at in the winter turn. Supports are likely to happen but if you want to try order the following:

A Finland - Ingria
A Estonia supports A Finland Ingria

" can then order A Novgorod - Ingria and you win the battle (2 vs. 1). This is a good example of support.

Convoys are less likely to happen. But it is up to the players that have fleets. In any case they can't happen before the fall, because fleets must be in sea provinces to be able to convoy. Order F Stockholm-Baltic Sea, and I'll tell you how to convoy in the fall."

Not having heard anything further, I convoyed to Livonia! How come I don't get Livonia? Wassup with that?

-------------
"Morty

Date Posted: 03-Nov-2005 at 17:33
I was under the impression that it was all more clear. I actually never said it (now that I check) but Rider did:

But fro convoying to work, morticia, you should aswell know that:

A ?????Bar???? - Stockholm

F Stockholm - Baltic Sea

or else it will not work and on the next turn:

A Stockholm - Prussia

F Baltic Sea convoys A Stocholm - Prussia.

I also thought that the actual center mentioned was Pomerania, not Prussia. Anyhow, would you have asked I would have suggested it.

The important thing, now you will be getting the idea, I hope, is to conquer new centers (and defend the ones you already own). The more centers you have, the more troops you can mantain. If you have more centers than units when the Winter comes, then you are entitled to build; if you have more units than centers, then you have to disband some.

Anyhow, you did a very nice convoy. Though inmediate useless, could have had some implications, in the sense that you are well deployed to attack Russia (would the trial-game continue) but, apart of more complex analysis, the basic important thing is to conquer centers: that's the way you grow in military power.

Remember that you only conquer centers in the Fall, what you occupy in the Spring is not of any use unless you are still there after the Fall turn.

Other important matters may be balance of power, strategic positions even if they are not supply centers, who you trust, who you should actually trust, etc.

One important thing is that only one wins, so be particularly wary of those powers that are too strong. It's not just a fair race for who gets most centers but also a game of treacherous stabs and creating dificulties for the rivals, specially those that are a danger for your victory.

-------------

NO GOD, NO MASTER!

Date Posted: 03-Nov-2005 at 19:50
Easy for you to say, Maju! Now I am really scared!

I'm putting up a FOR SALE sign for France (for the real game)! Any takers?

-------------
"Morty

Date Posted: 04-Nov-2005 at 04:30

Easy for you to say, Maju! Now I am really scared!

I'm putting up a FOR SALE sign for France (for the real game)! Any takers?

Of course - if I could have England AND France ....but I guess no-one will let me.

-------------

Date Posted: 04-Nov-2005 at 14:04
Morty: just read carefully the following articles and try to apply some of their ideas to your game:
  • http://www.diplomacy-archive.com/resources/strategy/articles/art_of_diplomacy.htm - The Art of Diplomacy
  • http://devel.diplom.org/DipPouch/Zine/F1999R/Szykman/NoStabs.html - Avoiding stabs 101
  • http://devel.diplom.org/Zine/S1995M/Mous/Survival.html - The Diplomacy Survival Guide
  • http://www.diplomacy-archive.com/resources/strategy/articles/to-stab-or-not.htm - To stab or not to stab?
  • http://www.diplomacy-archive.com/resources/strategy/articles/trust_me.htm - Trust me (and other tales)
Anyhow, as a friend of mine likes to say: the important thing is to take part and have fun. So don't worry and take it easy. I'm sure that you won't have any major problem and that you will take at least Savoy in the first year of the new game.

Of course I can take over France (and Spain) but I'm pretty sure other players won't be enthusiastic about it. We would surely have the War of French Succession -

-------------

NO GOD, NO MASTER!

Date Posted: 04-Nov-2005 at 15:03
Hear ye! Hear ye! France is no longer up for sale! After careful consideration, "Queen Henri(etta)" has decided to keep her steady rule on France. After all, there is always the possibility of conquering the entire continent of Europe! So, guess I better put on my heavy-armored jacket, grab my shield, and keep my sword close at hand to protect myself from the "stabs"... somehow, I feel like my ruling days will end with many stab wounds, just like Caesar!

-------------
"Morty

Date Posted: 04-Nov-2005 at 16:27
I am lacking the build orders of one player. I am hoping to get his build soon tonight.

-------------

Date Posted: 05-Nov-2005 at 12:02
Whom should that be? I hope that you post the new game as soon as it is possible?

-------------

Date Posted: 05-Nov-2005 at 13:27

Hear ye! Hear ye! France is no longer up for sale! After careful consideration, "Queen Henri(etta)" has decided to keep her steady rule on France.

Glad to hear that

-------------

Date Posted: 05-Nov-2005 at 16:16

It was me as an amateur I think but I sent it to Hugo many hours ago

-------------
we couldn't be consoled;

A Strange Orhan Veli

Date Posted: 07-Nov-2005 at 13:51
The march of Time:

Spain and France are in a state of war. England sends help to the French shores; but for whom? The East seems stable, but tensions begin to build up. The Ottoman and Russian Empire have disagreements over their borders. Poland has been silent about its neighbors’ conflict, but silently moves to secure his border with the Ottoman Empire. The Scandinavian states are poised for major conflict with each other. The big mystery for this year is the Habsburg Empire; no one seems to know what it will do.

From the Russian Press: His Majesty the Tzar of All Russias, founding quite annoying the Turk threat on the Black Sea and the Caucasus, has decided to create the Imperial Navy of the South with base at Voronezh. We won't let those Turks invade the Motherland. Ein Reich, ein Volk, ein Tzar!

Denmark:
Build A Vestlandet

England:
Build F London

France:
Build A Paris
Build A Provence

HabsburgEmpire:
Build F Croatia
Build A Bohemia

OttomanEmpire:
Build A Greece

Poland:
Build F Cracow
Build A Warsaw
Build A White Russia

Russia:
Build A Moscow
Build F Voronezj

Spain:
Build A Castille

Ownership:

Denmark:   Holstein, Jutland, Zealand, Scania, Vestlandet.
England:   Scotland, Ireland, Wales, London.
France:    Savoy, Paris, Gascony, Burgundy, Provence, Lorraine.
HabsburgEmpire: Western Hungary, Bohemia, Austria, Croatia,
            Bavaria.
OttomanEmpire: Egypt, Anatolia, Constantinople, Greece,
            Azerbaijan.
Poland:    Bessarabia, Transylvania, Prussia, White Russia,
            Warsaw, Cracow.
Russia:    Central Asia, Crimea, Voronezj, Moscow, Novgorod.
Spain:     Flanders, Naples, Castille, Granada, Portugal.
Sweden:    Finland, Estonia, Stockholm, Bergsl*gen.
Unowned:   North Africa, Serbia, Venice, Rome, Netherlands,
            Bremen, Pomerania, Brandenburg.

-------------

Date Posted: 07-Nov-2005 at 16:50
Didn't Denmark build an army? Why did you put a fleet there instead?

The funny thing about this building season is how marime powers have mostly (with the exception of England) built armies and land powers such as Poland and Russia have started building up their navies.

Tremble, Ottomans... you're lucky that the game doesn't continue.

-------------

NO GOD, NO MASTER!

Date Posted: 07-Nov-2005 at 18:09

[QUOTE=Maju] Didn't Denmark build an army? Why did you put a fleet there instead?
[/qoute]

Oops, uploaded the wrong image

-------------

Date Posted: 07-Nov-2005 at 18:14

-------------

Date Posted: 08-Nov-2005 at 04:21
My scandinavian foe had really saved himself out of a great trouble and storm invasion

-------------
we couldn't be consoled;

A Strange Orhan Veli

Date Posted: 08-Nov-2005 at 11:01
the storm invasino would take a lot of time from that position. YOu had two availiable armies and notihng too large except those three misunderstood armies on the islands.

-------------

Date Posted: 08-Nov-2005 at 12:26

Those were thanks to Jalisco

Saw my tactics on the last round? I was stockpiling the armies

-------------
we couldn't be consoled;

A Strange Orhan Veli

Date Posted: 09-Nov-2005 at 12:49

Yes, you were... ofcourse... but only in what points. I got three centers and that was almost the best. Poland got three aswell and there were the tricks....

Too bad that someone didn't get any.

-------------

Date Posted: 09-Nov-2005 at 15:17
Thanks Rider....and we all know who that was!!!!   

-------------
"Morty

Print Page | Close Window

Bulletin Board Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 9.56a - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2009 Web Wiz - http://www.webwizguide.com