Print Page | Close Window

New "1600" Diplomacy game?

Printed From: History Community ~ All Empires
Category: All Empires Community
Forum Name: Gaming and Information Technology
Forum Discription: Technology and Computer-related discussions; PC and Video Games…
URL: http://www.allempires.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=5828
Printed Date: 06-Jun-2024 at 13:12
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 9.56a - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: New "1600" Diplomacy game?
Posted By: Maju
Subject: New "1600" Diplomacy game?
Date Posted: 29-Sep-2005 at 15:21
On request from Rider, this is a proposal to organize a game of the 1600 variant of Diplomacy (a variant I don't apreciate much, all must be said). The rules are the same as in standard Diplomacy but the map is different:

We need 8 players and a GM. Anyone interested please PM javascript%3Cimg%20border=" target=_blank src="smileys/smiley3.gif" 0="" border="0"> Hugoestr, as he is going to GM after all.

Personal comments:
  • I think the map is not very accurate historically, see this one in contrast: http://www.euratlas.com/big/1600big.jpg - http://www.euratlas.com/big/1600big.jpg
  • I also think that the Scandinavian powers are overweighted. They should be 2 or 3 SCs powers, Prussia should be a 2 SC power too.
  • It can be interesting anyhow.
Check: http://web.telia.com/%7Eu13214882/1600.htm - http://web.telia.com/~u13214882/1600.htm , this site, by the creator of the variant, has everything on it.

Or almost. It doesn't include a link to the RP files, which you can download at http://www.int.graue-substanz.net/variants/index.htm - GraueSubstanz or just clicking http://www.graue-substanz.net/ressourcen/downloads/1600_gSModv1.1.zip - here (direct download).

If you don't have Realpolitik, you can download it here: http://realpolitik.sourceforge.net/ - http://realpolitik.sourceforge.net/

Notice that the people of GS have slightly modified the map, compared with that in Tommy Larsson's site. The one I posted is that used in GS, which has RP files, a very valuable commodity.

-------------

NO GOD, NO MASTER!

Replies:
Date Posted: 29-Sep-2005 at 15:30
Hugoestr has vlunteered to GM this game. That means that we already have 2 players: Rider and myself. 

We only need 6 more.

-------------

NO GOD, NO MASTER!

Posted By: Thegeneral
Date Posted: 29-Sep-2005 at 16:11
Thats interesting.  But one is enough for me, thanks!

-------------

Posted By: Cywr
Date Posted: 29-Sep-2005 at 17:29
Do rivers play any signficance on the map?
As they seem to be oddly represented there.

-------------
Arrrgh!!"

Posted By: Jalisco Lancer
Date Posted: 29-Sep-2005 at 17:33
I would like to enlist on the game

-------------

Date Posted: 29-Sep-2005 at 17:48
Originally posted by Cywr

Do rivers play any signficance on the map?
As they seem to be oddly represented there.

They are supposed to be navigable canals: this feature allows for Russia and Poland to create fleets without having to modify other rules.

-------------

NO GOD, NO MASTER!

Date Posted: 29-Sep-2005 at 18:00
Originally posted by Jalisco Lancer

I would like to enlist on the game

Excellent, that's three in (as far as I know). PM Hugoestr (the GM) with an email adress.

If you have any doubts on gameplay you can ask here, you can also browse the previous topics on Diplomacy and you can read the http://www.diplomacy-archive.com/resources/rulebooks/1992AH3rd.pdf - standard Diplomacy rules 1992 (PDF).

-------------

NO GOD, NO MASTER!

Posted By: hugoestr
Date Posted: 29-Sep-2005 at 18:44
Yes, PM me your email address. As you do so, I will add you to an email list that I am setting up for the game.

-------------

Date Posted: 29-Sep-2005 at 19:00
Also, please download Realpolitik, especially if you are new to the game. It will help you understand the rules better, and you will be able to play out some scenarios and see what happens.

Once you have Realpolitik, unzipped the 1600 file into the Variant Files folder. When you start the application again, 1600 will be there.

Hopefully I will get all of this information together in as help files.

-------------

Posted By: poirot
Date Posted: 29-Sep-2005 at 21:01
I am interested, but am already playing a diplomacy game.  I would not want to hog two positions.  Sign me up as an observer. 

-------------
AAAAAAAAAA
"The crisis of yesterday is the joke of tomorrow.�   ~ HG Wells

Date Posted: 30-Sep-2005 at 11:31
So far we have two confirmed players and one observer. Promote the game! The faster we gather eight people, the sooner we will start playing.

-------------

Date Posted: 30-Sep-2005 at 12:49
I got email confirmations for two more players. So far we have four players and one observer.

I have been sending you guys invites from yahoo groups. If you don't get them within 24 hours, please send me a pm so that we can troubleshoot the problem.

The most likely reason for this is that the anti-spam software that your mail client uses is filtering it out. There are simple ways of solving this problem.

-------------

Posted By: Guests
Date Posted: 30-Sep-2005 at 14:46

The regions of Eastern-Western Hungary, Besarbia, Transylvania belonged to the Ottoman Empire. Crimea was a dependent Khanate, so also Ottoman authority there. Batum and southern Georgia was also Ottoman terratorry with western and southern Azerbaijan until Tabriz.

Also the regions called North Africa belonged to Ottoman Empire until Moroccan Sultanate. South of Libya and Egypt until modern northern Sudan was under Ottoman control...

-------------

Date Posted: 30-Sep-2005 at 15:00
Let me make something clear about the yahoo group.

I am mainly using it for sending results. I will also save there some documents that I am making.

I am using a yahoo group for two reasons: your email is not in the to: list and because I find it easier to send a single email to everyone that one.

The game's presses and results will be published on a thread in this forum, the same way that the other game has been.

-------------

Posted By: Mbote
Date Posted: 30-Sep-2005 at 16:37
I'm kind of new here, I'm just wonering how you play this game, it looks like a cool game. 

-------------
Hunt or be hunted

Posted By: rider
Date Posted: 30-Sep-2005 at 17:07
We're plain' it turn by turn, the rules are posted somewhere with a link. I read a little part of them and understood.. atleast i think  i understand. it is pretty simple.

-------------

Posted By: Thegeneral
Date Posted: 30-Sep-2005 at 17:58
I will be an aid to a new person if needed.  I do not feel like taking over another country.  Germany is enough, thanks!

-------------

Date Posted: 30-Sep-2005 at 19:07
Originally posted by Mbote

I'm kind of new here, I'm just wonering how you play this game, it looks like a cool game. 

Look at the other Diplomacy topics in General gaming, two of them are a little behind (2nd page), but the current standard Dip01 game is always among the three toppers. The old topics though contain more info on how the game is played. Anyhow take a look at the http://www.diplomacy-archive.com/resources/rulebooks/1992AH3rd.pdf - rules (PDF file).

-------------

NO GOD, NO MASTER!

Date Posted: 30-Sep-2005 at 19:51
Originally posted by Mbote

PM me your email and I can add to the list to either play or observe. The rules for how to play are easy, although there are a few subtle points which we will be happy to guide you through them

-------------

Date Posted: 30-Sep-2005 at 20:25
Originally posted by Oguzoglu

The regions of Eastern-Western Hungary, Besarbia, Transylvania belonged to the Ottoman Empire. Crimea was a dependent Khanate, so also Ottoman authority there. Batum and southern Georgia was also Ottoman terratorry with western and southern Azerbaijan until Tabriz.

Also the regions called North Africa belonged to Ottoman Empire until Moroccan Sultanate. South of Libya and Egypt until modern northern Sudan was under Ottoman control...

Right! That's one of the reasons I'm not enthusiastic of this variant. Still, if you read the game designer's site (link in top post), he says that he made those changes because:
a) playability needs
b) most of those areas were under powerful local warlords (that's what he says)

-------------

NO GOD, NO MASTER!

Date Posted: 30-Sep-2005 at 20:32
Also, why this topic has been placed as "important" sticky in ALL SUBFORUMS? 

Someone has comitted an error and will have to pay for it

-------------

NO GOD, NO MASTER!

Date Posted: 30-Sep-2005 at 21:57
Originally posted by Maju

Also, why this topic has been placed as "important" sticky in ALL SUBFORUMS?

Someone has comitted an error and will have to pay for it }

Cyrus was kind enough to offer to show it in all forums until we get all eight players.

Thanks!

-------------

Posted By: Emperor Barbarossa
Date Posted: 30-Sep-2005 at 22:17
I would like to sign up.

-------------

Posted By: Kapikulu
Date Posted: 01-Oct-2005 at 13:28

I d either like to sign up, for Ottomans if possible...

-------------
We gave up your happiness
Your hope would be enough;
we couldn't find neither;
we made up sorrows for ourselves;
we couldn't be consoled;

A Strange Orhan Veli

Date Posted: 01-Oct-2005 at 15:49

That means if i can count with a backwards head that we have seven half-heads playing it... thet means we are mssing one. And I have a question that I couldn't understand from the rules.

For example, if you have commited an army to Prussia that has no SC's , will it come over to your side?? And will the SC's that your armies are in but are neutral come to your side after a few turns or what?

-------------

Date Posted: 01-Oct-2005 at 16:45
Originally posted by rider

(...)  And I have a question that I couldn't understand from the rules.

For example, if you have commited an army to Prussia that has no SC's , will it come over to your side?? And will the SC's that your armies are in but are neutral come to your side after a few turns or what?

The system of acquisition of new centers is as follows. To acquire any foreign or neutral center you only need to have an army or fleet in that center at the end of the Fall season (or, what is the same, the start of the Winter builds/disbands season). If you occupy a center in the Spring, it has no value: you must be ther after the Fall moves.

Once you have acquired one center it remains yours until another power captures it in the same fashion, so you can vacate it but do not forget to defend it if threatened.

Builds and disbands (collectively called adjustments) are done in a special turn called Winter. You can only build in your home centers, those that you start with (in some variants this is diferent but in standard Diplomacy as in 1600 it is this way).

The timeline of any game-year is as follows:
  1. Spring diplomacy and moves
  2. Spring retreats if needed (sometimes called Summer)
  3. Fall diplomacy and moves
  4. Fall retreats if needed (sometimes called Autumn). After this happens it is when centers change ownership if occupied.
  5. Winter adjustments (builds and disbands)

-------------

NO GOD, NO MASTER!

Posted By: gcle2003
Date Posted: 02-Oct-2005 at 08:29

What's the turnaround time /move frequency in real time?

Date Posted: 02-Oct-2005 at 09:46
We will be following the conventions that Maju established in the first game. Fall and Spring seasons will occur once a week. Orders for Summer or Winter seasons will be due two days after that.

Currently, the due dates for the game are falling on Monday, and build orders are due on Wednesday. I will probably shift the dates around to avoid confusion with both games.

We nominally have the eight players right now, but I still need the emails for some of them, and the preference list for most of them.

Once we gather of of these, we will be able to start.

Following Maju's example, we will play a trial season to introduce the game new players.

-------------

Date Posted: 02-Oct-2005 at 10:07
No, but games without any SC for example Prussia, would it fall into my hands or not?

-------------

Date Posted: 02-Oct-2005 at 16:05
Originally posted by gcle2003

What's the turnaround time /move frequency in real time?

About 1 game year per two weeks, unless there is too much lack of interest/time by players/GM. Commitment is important: you are expected to keep playing actively even if things don't go well.

It could be sped-up but this would mean a diplomatic frenzy and truly addict players. About 5 days for each regular turn is convenient to allow diplomacy to go swiftly and real life not to interfere too much.

-------------

NO GOD, NO MASTER!

Date Posted: 02-Oct-2005 at 16:12

No, but games without any SC for example Prussia, would it fall into my hands or not?

Prussia has an SC, at least in the Realpolitik version, which is the one we will use, I believe.

For non-SC centers, they are just empty provinces that have no game value. In the game I'm GMing I'm changing their colors as armies pass by, but this is just an ilustrative practice (beautifies the maps and gives a better idea of geographical domain). It will be up to Hugo to decide how will he ilustrate the maps. In reality, the only thing that belongs to any power are SCs, while non-SC provinces don't matter who they belong to actually.

-------------

NO GOD, NO MASTER!

Date Posted: 02-Oct-2005 at 23:42
It was brought to my attention that we need a ninth player. So we need one more person.

-------------

Date Posted: 03-Oct-2005 at 02:23
Originally posted by hugoestr

It was brought to my attention that we need a ninth player. So we need one more person.

No, we need just 8 players and one GM. Not sure if that's what you mean?

-------------

NO GOD, NO MASTER!

Date Posted: 03-Oct-2005 at 08:57
Count them again, we need nine

This list is from the info box in Realpolitik

1. Denmark:   Jutland, Zealand, Scania, Vestlandet.
2. England:   Ireland, Wales, London.
3. France:    Paris, Gascony, Burgundy, Provence.
4. HabsburgEmpire: Bohemia, Austria, Croatia.
5. OttomanEmpire: Egypt, Anatolia, Constantinople, Greece.
6. Poland:    White Russia, Warsaw, Cracow.
7. Russia:    Voronezj, Moscow, Novgorod.
8. Spain:     Flanders, Naples, Castille, Granada.
9. Sweden:    Finland, Estonia, Stockholm, Bergsl*gen.

-------------

Date Posted: 03-Oct-2005 at 13:16
Ahh, yes, maju was thinking of another version. Not sure which but i am pretty sure it didn't include habsburg empire.

-------------

Date Posted: 03-Oct-2005 at 13:22
Ok, 9 powers then. I was convinced they were 8 somehow... 

-------------

NO GOD, NO MASTER!

Date Posted: 03-Oct-2005 at 13:27

Well, atleast I didn''t see a Realpolitik version of the 1600 version. There was one with 72 SC's and that was almost all the NE Hemisphere but no 1600 one.

Well, if there are no wanters we might do the ifrst one (Maju's) but if one wants to ally with us during the training session he or she is allowed???

-------------

Date Posted: 03-Oct-2005 at 14:38

Well, atleast I didn''t see a Realpolitik version of the 1600 version. There was one with 72 SC's and that was almost all the NE Hemisphere but no 1600 one.

In the opening post of this topic there's a hotlink to unload the RP files directly (I realized that browsing in GS site is a little mess for non-initiated).

Well, if there are no wanters we might do the ifrst one (Maju's) but if one wants to ally with us during the training session he or she is allowed???

I don't have any diferent version, I just made an error when counting the countries.

-------------

NO GOD, NO MASTER!

Date Posted: 04-Oct-2005 at 16:02
Come on, we need one more person!

-------------

Posted By: TheDiplomat
Date Posted: 05-Oct-2005 at 08:51
Ok,I would like to sign up

-------------
ARDA:The best Turkish diplomat ever!

Date Posted: 05-Oct-2005 at 12:27
Thanks, TheDiplomat.

This is the list that I have so far
Maju
JaliscoLancer
TheDiplomat
Morticia
gcle2003
rider
Emperor Barbarossa
Kapikulu

Have I omited someone? If so please send me a notice. If not, then we need one more person.

-------------

Date Posted: 06-Oct-2005 at 14:16

We could do a trick. But firstly, say us if any of the preferences match?? I will scan all posts in this topic and I have few ideas. Like you did previously. ()

And the right order would be:

1. Emperor Barbarossa
  2. gcle2003
  3. JaliscoLancer
  4. Kapikulu
  5. Maju
  6. Morticia
  7. Rider
  8. theDiplomat

Now, we have 8 players and 9 states. Maybe we could start the practice campaign and I am sure that then few players will join anyways as observers. For now, you may have one observer take the place of the missing person.

-------------

Date Posted: 06-Oct-2005 at 15:32
I think on reflection I'd like a predominantly naval power.

Date Posted: 06-Oct-2005 at 16:31
Let's try to get the ninth person within two days. If they don't appear, we will go ahead and start the practice game.

-------------

Date Posted: 07-Oct-2005 at 09:16
So you mean for Sunday???

-------------

Date Posted: 07-Oct-2005 at 14:20

Let's try to get the ninth person within two days. If they don't appear, we will go ahead and start the practice game.

Today I told my diplomacy instructor of italian-american origin at university to join the game.He wanted me to inform him in early morning on Monday.Could you wait 1 day more?His participation could be very interesting.

regards.

-------------

Date Posted: 07-Oct-2005 at 16:17
Ofcourse we can but to be honest we couldn't give him Russia and that is the very least. If he sadi that he will look into it then we will wait. Atleast, I would say that we would. I believe that hugoestr supports me on this.

I believe he is a very good player??

-------------

Date Posted: 07-Oct-2005 at 16:41
Yes, I think we can wait for him. Hopefully he will play. It would be interesting. Please ask him how much experience he has with the game of diplomacy. Then I will see if we should handicap him or not.

Since we are waiting for him, I think we should start next week, either Wednesday or Thursday.

-------------

Date Posted: 07-Oct-2005 at 17:06
Maybe Mercredi and try to end for the next Mercredi??? And then on lundi or vendredi start with the next (real one) then people could have a weekend to make out good moves and try ot practice already some alliances.

-------------

Date Posted: 07-Oct-2005 at 18:55

Yes, I think we can wait for him. Hopefully he will play. It would be interesting. Please ask him how much experience he has with the game of diplomacy. Then I will see if we should handicap him or not.

To be a career diplomat doesn't mean that you will do better in a Diplomacy game... necessarily. Tactics (pawn movement/coordination) and strategy (geopolitical balance management) can be as important as the negotiation abilities. It's not so simple.

-------------

NO GOD, NO MASTER!

Date Posted: 10-Oct-2005 at 04:36

He is playing..we can start the game...

He had never played this game before...this will be his first...so I suggest we shall better give him an easy country to rule out.

-------------

Posted By: Guests
Date Posted: 10-Oct-2005 at 11:02
Can I still join?
If so, I'd like to participate. I don't care which country I get.

-------------

Date Posted: 10-Oct-2005 at 11:02

HALLELUYA!!! Did you tell him the address and where to look?

I hope that he will not be given any country that is near me, for I am quite aggresive on the second and fourth move...

-------------

Date Posted: 10-Oct-2005 at 14:42
Could you please give me his email address, Thediplomat? I also need his preference list.

-------------

Date Posted: 11-Oct-2005 at 09:13
And i hoped we could start today. Hope we will be able for Wednesday.

-------------

Date Posted: 11-Oct-2005 at 09:35
Ok,He is also a member now...His nick is Kilikya...he had posted on the intoruce yourself thrad.

-------------

Date Posted: 11-Oct-2005 at 09:43
Kapikulo, are you still there? If so please send me a PM today. If I don't hear from you, I will put another player in your place.

-------------

Date Posted: 11-Oct-2005 at 13:09

Mixcoatl seems to be interested. Maybe kapikulu can't get in now?. His last post time was.... well, i believe atleast that he doesn't visit the boards very often. he is member 86, registered in August 2004, and has 68 posts.

we'll see.

-------------

Date Posted: 12-Oct-2005 at 12:00
Mixcoalt, could you step in?

I need the your preference list and that of one more player. You know who you are.

I will start the thread for the game latter today. If I still don't get preference lists by tomorrow, I will go ahead and grant countries to each player, leaving the rest remainders to the other players

-------------

Date Posted: 12-Oct-2005 at 13:47
 Ibelieve that he almost lost hopes in getting in so maybe a PM if not already done??

-------------

Date Posted: 12-Oct-2005 at 16:53
We got everything we needed. We can start playing now

There are the country designations for each player for the real game:

Poland     Emperor Barbarossa
England     glce2003
HabsburgEmpire JaliscoLancer
Denmark     Kilikya
Spain     Maju
Ottoman Empire     Mixcoatl
France     morticia
Sweden     Rider
Russia     thediplomat

I will post the practice countries shortly.

-------------

Date Posted: 12-Oct-2005 at 16:59
These are the practice designations. I will start the practice game thread tomorrow. I just realized that I have a lot to get done for this evening

Ottoman Empire     Emperor Barbarossa
Poland     glce2003
Denmark JaliscoLancer
England Kilikya
Russia     Maju
Habsburg Mixcoatl
Sweden     morticia
France     Rider
Spain     thediplomat

-------------

Date Posted: 13-Oct-2005 at 09:20

Too bad i didn't get Poland....

was hoping. now i am in trouble... Denamrak crushes me, and i know it...

Do politics count in the practice game??

-------------

Date Posted: 13-Oct-2005 at 12:38

Too bad i didn't get Poland....

was hoping. now i am in trouble... Denamrak crushes me, and i know it...

According to the site, Sweden is one of the most solid powers in the long run but maybe after the GraueSubstanz' modifications it's been a little bit downgraded (?)

Do politics count in the practice game??

If you mean diplomatic negoations, it is irrelevant. In principle is only a 1 year micro-game for newbies to get used moving armies and so. You're only supposed to send orders like in a gunboat (without diplomacy) game. Nobody will win, so it doesn't mean much.

I got Spain. Let's see...

Who has France?

-------------

NO GOD, NO MASTER!

Date Posted: 13-Oct-2005 at 13:35

Morticia..

the biggest troubles for me are that i dont want to fight Emperor Barbarossa nor TheDiplomat.'

Still, i hope there is soon no DENMRAK ... by politics... what if all are allied? quite a boring game...

-------------

Date Posted: 13-Oct-2005 at 14:43
I wouldn't personalize: it is a game and you should be able to kill and destroy your best friend if necessary in it. Else it loses interest. All 9 players are in the role of powerful rulers of the 17th century who want continental hegemony. Only one can win and that should be you.

Well, actually it should be me, so it can't be you.

Read the Soloist Manifesto: http://www.diplom.org/Zine/S2002M/Cohen/Soloist_Manifesto.html - http://www.diplom.org/Zine/S2002M/Cohen/Soloist_Manifesto.ht ml

-------------

NO GOD, NO MASTER!

Date Posted: 13-Oct-2005 at 15:00

have no time now... but i have also read that if you betray someone then they start to hate you! so i wouldn't betray anyone first....

and it should be me!!!

Maybe in 20 minutes the topic is up?

-------------

Date Posted: 13-Oct-2005 at 15:17

You guys have forgetten TheDiplomat...

just check out the original game thread and see what change TheDiplomat has brought about

-------------

Posted By: morticia
Date Posted: 13-Oct-2005 at 19:39
Maju wrote: "I've got Spain. Let's see...
                Who has France?"

Ahem!!! That would be ME! Looking for an ally?

-------------
"Morty

Trust in God: She will provide." -- Emmeline Pankhurst

Date Posted: 13-Oct-2005 at 23:53
I am missing some email responses from you guys. If you haven't received an email, please send me an pm giving me your email again.

-------------

Date Posted: 14-Oct-2005 at 05:32

Originally posted by morticia

Who has France?"

Don't think I didn't hear that.

Walsingham may have been dead these ten years and more(   but his ghost still walks. Probably at Elsinore so the Danes might be interested in listening.

Date Posted: 14-Oct-2005 at 06:19
Originally posted by morticia

Who has France?"

Yes, sure. According to the oficial site of the variant the F-S alliance is one of the most powerful possible. Tremble Europe!

Also it seems it's the only safe way for Spain to keep the Spanish Netherlands Spanish.

But, for the sake of fun let's keep secret our dealings from now on.

Between you and me: what about this partition pact for all Europe:

This would allow for the righteous, most prestigious and of course Catholic dynasties of the Bourbons and Habsburgs to rule the World, preventing unnecesary blodshed in the future and converting everyone to the true and only (God-Himself appointed) Catholic Church of Rome. Then we would declare a perfectly calculated two-way draw (that's why Central Asia has been left neutral). I'm sure Turanists, will thank us for it.

The rest, what are you looking, this is just between the most Catholic monarchs of France and Spain. Sure you have something better to do than spying our secret conversations.

-------------

NO GOD, NO MASTER!

Date Posted: 14-Oct-2005 at 08:42
lol.....how will you conquer Rusland,in other words vastland?

-------------

Date Posted: 14-Oct-2005 at 09:17
I am sure the Lutherian kings of Sweden and Denamrk have something to say about this.

-------------

Date Posted: 14-Oct-2005 at 10:02
Originally posted by TheDiplomat

lol.....how will you conquer Rusland,in other words vastland?

No idea, that will be a French problem.

-------------

NO GOD, NO MASTER!

Date Posted: 14-Oct-2005 at 10:20
I am totally with dividing things like that. It is the only matter that my armies have to take up the banner that is yellow, but as yellow is on our flag and so is blue , i can say nothing bad about it...

-------------

Date Posted: 14-Oct-2005 at 10:49

Well, i got my version of the map. Blue is me and yellow are my vassals or yellow am i and blue is france... and i have annexed Switzerland.

-------------

Date Posted: 14-Oct-2005 at 11:32

Is that - Larson 2.8 - the version of the map we're supposed to be using?

I seem to have collected various versions of the map (Larson 2.4 from one link that was given, GS from another - I think the Realpolitik version...).

The differences are most obvious in Poland - is there a Warsaw? are there a Warsaw AND a Masuria, or just a Masuria?

Date Posted: 14-Oct-2005 at 11:36

... and i have annexed Switzerland.

That has much merit. I want you to repeat it in the real game.

-------------

NO GOD, NO MASTER!

Date Posted: 14-Oct-2005 at 11:36
The Diplomat wrote:
"lol.....how will you conquer Rusland,in other words vastland?"

Maju wrote:
"No idea, that will be a French problem."

Psst! Psst! Diplomat...why don't you step into my office for a nice, long chat...eh? There is a method to my MADNESS!!!!!!

-------------
"Morty

Date Posted: 14-Oct-2005 at 11:41
Originally posted by gcle2003

Is that - Larson 2.8 - the version of the map we're supposed to be using?

I seem to have collected various versions of the map (Larson 2.4 from one link that was given, GS from another - I think the Realpolitik version...).

The differences are most obvious in Poland - is there a Warsaw? are there a Warsaw AND a Masuria, or just a Masuria?

I think we will be using the version that is available for Realpolitik, because it is the easiest way to play and GM. It's actually the one you can find at http://www.int.graue-substanz.net/variants/index.htm - GraueSubstanz , which they declare to have modified the original Larsson's version for improved gameplay.

The http://www.graue-substanz.net/ressourcen/infotexte/1600_infotext.htm - GS infotext on 1600 says: As of writing this (16th of March 2004) the homepage seems to be outdated and doesn't reflect changes made in recent versions.

I trust that Frank Bacher has done a good job and his corrections are adequate.

Anyhow the decision should be taken by the GM (after hearing the players).

-------------

NO GOD, NO MASTER!

Date Posted: 14-Oct-2005 at 11:48

Your stripes are going the wrong way. This looks nicer from an Anglo-Scandinavian point of view:

Date Posted: 14-Oct-2005 at 14:36
Oficial preliminary notice from H.M. Philip III: the most Glorious and Christian Kingdom of Spain is open for talks with all European and non-European powers. Recent rumors about an alliance with France spread by the Duke of the Alpujarras are absolutely false. It has been discovered that Duke is in fact a Ottoman agent and has therefore been put in the hands of the Holy Inquisition, under the new anti-terrorist law, that provides for 5 years of detention and isolation without charges. He's now being rutinarily interrogated by the Dominican friars and we expect the proccess to continue its due course with a ritual burning on-the-stake to be celebrated in the Plaza Mayor of this town and court of Madrid in the year of our Lord 1605.

Philip.

-------------

NO GOD, NO MASTER!

Date Posted: 14-Oct-2005 at 15:20

These colours you posted are very good for my practice game (i'm France).

-------------

Date Posted: 14-Oct-2005 at 15:30

I see that in the original game emperor barbarossa replaced with another member because he is not around...

But he is to play in this game as well..he has already been appointed to be the ruler of poland...

what will happen?

-------------

Date Posted: 14-Oct-2005 at 16:06
Let's look at the historical characters of this period:

Spain:

Phlip III reigned in Spain, Portugal, Naples and Sicily in 1598-1621

Philip IV, his son succeeded him.

Francisco Gómez de Sandoval y Rojas, Duke of Lerma was both kings' Valido (Chief Minister), until he was substituted in 1625 by Gaspar de Guzmán, Count-Duke of Olivares, a honest and hard-wroking but limited statesman.

France:

Henri III of Navarre and IV of France, originally a Huguenot but converted to Catholicism in order to inherit France (Paris is well worth a mass) was a very popular and tolerant monarch.

In 1610, his son Louis XIII (Louis I of Navarre) inherited both thrones. He revoked the rights and privileges granted to the Huguenots by his father.

His Chief Minister since 1616 was Armand Jean du Plessis, Cardinal Richelieu.

Ottoman Empire:

Mehmet III ruled the Ottoman Empire until 1603.

Ahmed I, his son, succeeded him until 1617.

Mustafa I reigned briefly in 1617-18 and later from 1622 to 1623. He was mentally retarded or at least psychologically ill. He was succesively displaced by:

Osman II (1618-22)

... and his brother Murad IV (1622-40)

Austria - Holy Roman Empire:

Rudolph II, Holy Roman Emperor, King of Bohemia and Hungary, Arhchduke of Austria (until 1612)

His brother Mathias succeede him until 1619.

More famous is Ferdinand II (1619-37), whose interventions in Bohemia caused the Thirty Years' War.

England:

Elizabeth I, the Virgin Queen, ruled England and Ireland until her death in 1603.

James I Stuart inherited her. He was initially King of Scotland (James VI). He died in 1625, leaving the kingdom to Charles I.

Poland:

Sigismund III of Poland, ruled this country from 1587 to 1632. Briefly also King of Sweden, he tried to regain his rights to that throne and unify both crowns.

Russia:

At the start of the Century, Russia was inmersed in the Time of Troubles (1598-1613), in which several tsars ruled for short periods in the midst of civil wars and conspirations.

Boris Godunov, born a simple boyar (low nobility), ruled until 1605, when he was briefly replaced by his son Feodor II, who was assasinated in a coup.

He was (also briefly) replaced by the first False Dimitry, an imposter, supported by Poland.

Vasili IV, a descendant of Novgorodian princes, succeded him in the period 1606-10.

After a troubled interregnum of three years, finally...

Mikhail I Feodorovich Romanov ruled Russia until 1645

Sweden:

Charles IX, ruled first as regent and later as king, from 1599 to 1611

Gustav II Adolf (Gustavus Adolphus), the Lion of the North, son of the former.

Denmark:

Christian IV ruled Denmark from 1588 to 1648.

-------------

NO GOD, NO MASTER!

Date Posted: 14-Oct-2005 at 16:52
Philip wrote:
"Recent rumors about an alliance with France spread by the Duke of the Alpujarras are absolutely false. It has been discovered that Duke is in fact a Ottoman agent and has therefore been put in the hands of the Holy Inquisition..."

Mon Dieu!!!!...how could the Duke deceive me so!!!! That means no "nooky" for him tonight. I have no tolerance for such behaviour! I shall have his head on my "plate" for supper! So says

Henri(etta)IV of France!!

-------------
"Morty

Date Posted: 14-Oct-2005 at 17:28
Red tape interferes with the wishes of our French neighbour. The inquisitorial process requires that all due procedures be applied to the suspect before trial. The process will last exactly 5 years, as the law and the Domincan Order requires. After trial we expect that no head will be left... but we can send you the ashes and a copy of the process.

Fray Torquemada will keep you updated on the details as the suspect starts confessing.

-------------

NO GOD, NO MASTER!

Date Posted: 15-Oct-2005 at 05:09

You may have noticed that in the map I posted there are a couple of uncoloured areas.

You will just have to accept that somewhere in there is a little village in which there lives this little guy with the big fat friend who was dropped into some kind of elixir when he was a baby....

Date Posted: 15-Oct-2005 at 06:01
It would be so cool if actually a partition would be made between three cities and territories would be left as a flag would come out...

-------------

Date Posted: 15-Oct-2005 at 14:18

Thanks Maju for the historical charecters..

Now I know all these faces I will either ally or confront.

-------------

Date Posted: 15-Oct-2005 at 15:34
Ofcourse we will overthrow them and step as their governors but no one knows of this plan.

-------------

Date Posted: 17-Oct-2005 at 09:26
Last call:

I a missing some emails. If I don't get these by tomorrow, I will ask other people to take over your countries.

-------------

Date Posted: 17-Oct-2005 at 10:56
Bon jour (Good Day)Hugoestr:

I just want to make sure that you received my e-mail. I certainly don't want anyone else taking over my country...VIVA LA FRANCE!!!!

-------------
"Morty

Date Posted: 17-Oct-2005 at 13:39

Bonjour is written together... have you got my e-mail??? I will send something in confirmation to be sure-. and it is definetly working.

-------------

Date Posted: 17-Oct-2005 at 13:43

Let's get the game started.

-------------

Date Posted: 17-Oct-2005 at 15:23
I am still waiting for two emails.

-------------

Date Posted: 17-Oct-2005 at 15:47
Couldn't you say who they are? Just in case they sent one, you didn't get it, and they think you did?

Date Posted: 17-Oct-2005 at 16:11

one...one thousand
two...one thousand
three...one thousand
four...one thousand
five...one thousand.........

ARE WE THERE YET??????

(Not that I want to rush anyone, but I am getting a little excited at the thought of conquering the ENTIRE WORLD!!)

Oh wait!! wrong game...this is just conquering EUROPE....piece of cake!

-------------
"Morty

Date Posted: 18-Oct-2005 at 09:32
You have no chance for the fact that TheDiplomat also is in the game

-------------

Print Page | Close Window

Bulletin Board Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 9.56a - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2009 Web Wiz - http://www.webwizguide.com