Print Page | Close Window

Lincoln calls for troops

Printed From: History Community ~ All Empires
Category: Regional History or Period History
Forum Name: History of the Americas
Forum Discription: The Americas: History from pre-Colombian times to the present
URL: http://www.allempires.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=31776
Printed Date: 28-Mar-2024 at 14:04
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 9.56a - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Lincoln calls for troops
Posted By: Scamp
Subject: Lincoln calls for troops
Date Posted: 20-May-2012 at 23:33
South Carolina, Mississippi, Florida, Alabama, Georgia, Louisiana, and Texas have already legally seceded from the Union before Lincoln takes office.

April 14 1861...Lincoln calls for states to raise 75,000 troops to invade the South.

His Secretary of State, William Seward, writes up this proclamation...
http://www.alternatewars.com/ACW/ACW_Documents/Lincoln_Call_Troops.htm - http://www.alternatewars.com/ACW/ACW_Documents/Lincoln_Call_Troops.htm
This is actually in there... "and in every event the utmost care will be observed, consistently with the objects aforesaid, to avoid any devastation, any destruction of or interference with property, or any disturbance of peaceful citizens in any part of the country".

He has his Secretary of War, Simon Cameron send telegrams to each states Governor asking for volunteer soldiers.He gets these replies...

North Carolina- John W. Ellis, Governor of North Carolina, to Simon Cameron, U.S. Secretary of War, 15 April 1861...
"Your dispatch is received, and if genuine, which its extraordinary character leads me to doubt, I have to say in reply that I regard the levy of troops made by the Administration for the purpose of subjugating the States of the South as in violation of the Constitution and a gross usurpation of power. I can be no party to this wicked violation of the laws of the country and to this war upon the liberties of a free people. You can get no troops from North Carolina."
----
Kentucky- B. Magoffin, Governor of Kentucky, to Cameron, 15 April 1861...
"Your dispatch is received. In answer I say emphatically Kentucky will furnish no troops for the wicked purpose of subduing her sister Southern States."
----
Virginia- John Letcher, Governor of Virginia, to Cameron, 16 April 1861...
"I received your telegram of the 15th, the genuineness of which I doubted. Since that time I have received your communication, mailed the same day, in which I am requested to detach from the militia of the State of Virginia 'the quota designated in the table' which you append, 'to serve as infantry or riflemen for the period of three months, unless sooner discharged.'
In reply to this communication I have only to say that the militia of Virginia will not be furnished to the powers at Washington for any such use or purpose as they have in view. Your object is to subjugate the Southern States, and a requisition made upon me for such an object--an object, in my judgement, not within the purview of the Constitution or the act of 1795--will not be complied with. You have chosen to inaugurate civil war, and having done so, we will meet it in a spirit as determined as the Administration has exhibited toward the South."
----
Tennessee- Isham G. Harris, Governor of Tennessee, to Cameron, 17 April 1861...
"Your dispatch of 15th instant, informing me that Tennessee is called upon for two regiments of militia for immediate service, is received. Tennessee will not furnish a single man for purpose of coercion, but 50,000, if necessary, for the defense of our rights and those of our Southern brethren."

Missouri- C.F. Jackson, Governor of Missouri, to Cameron, 17 April 1861...
"Your dispatch of the 15th instant, making a call on Missouri for four regiments of men for immediate service, has been received. There can be, I apprehend, no doubt but the men are intended to form a part of the President's army to make war upon the people of the seceded States.
Your requisition, in my judgement, is illegal, unconstitutional, and revolutionary in its object, inhuman and diabolical, and cannot be complied with. Not one man will the State of Missouri furnish to carry on any such unholy crusade."
----
Arkansas- H.M. Rector, Governor of Arkansas, to Cameron, 22 April 1861...
"In answer to your requisition for troops from Arkansas to subjugate the Southern States, I have to say that none will be furnished. The demand is only adding insult to injury. The people of this Commonwealth are freemen, not slaves, and will defend to the last extremity their honor, lives, and property against Northern mendacity and usurpation."
----
Delaware- William Burton, Governor of Delaware, to Cameron, 25 April 1861...
"I have the honor to receive your communication of the 15th instant, requesting me to cause to be immediately detached from the militia of this State one regiment, consisting of 780 men, 'to serve as infantry or riflemen, for the period of three months, unless sooner discharged.'
The laws of this State confer upon the Executive no authority whatever enabling him to comply with your requisition, there being no organized militia in the State nor any law authorizing such organization.
There are volunteer companies formed and their officers commissioned by the Executive, and others are being formed, but it is altogether optional with them to offer their service to the U.S. authorities, the Executive having no power vested in him to order them into its service.”

Replies:
Posted By: Centrix Vigilis
Date Posted: 21-May-2012 at 00:43
And your question, point is?
If none.. as this is well known historical information with no need of repetitious publication or unsolicited without an intent or stated purpose and probably a mere continuation of your secessionist rhetoric.
Then you need to define and or state an intent or purpose for it.  
If you do not.. then you are trolling. Which you have already received an official warning for from the Forum Admin-owner.

So define said intent or I will suspend you for trolling.  You may do this thru editing your post.

I'm giving you this one further oppurtunity as some members feel you have an ability to present interesting topics reference the US Civil War less your efforts at Lost Cause Glamourization. Your singular option is to do just that. You have no other. So I say again... begin to present interesting topics reference the US Civil War, less your efforts at Lost Cause Glamourization. Or any you feel inclined to develope. Do it in the form of a question or presentation seeking comment or debate. You already know how. 

But one thing is certain.. your trolling here on AE is finished.

Consequently.....No response from you is required. If you have a comment refence my action and direction then PM another moderator and request clarification or appeal it. As per the CoC. Any response you post other then to edit your op... will be treated as trolling. And you will be suspended immediately.

-------------
"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"

S. T. Friedman

Pilger's law: 'If it's been officially denied, then it's probably true'

Posted By: Nick1986
Date Posted: 21-May-2012 at 07:26
Get this into your head Scamp: you must tone down your secessionist views as many members find them offensive. I'd like to try and save this thread, so i'll ask a question: how was the levying of troops any different from the actions of previous presidents? Surely as commander in chief Lincoln had the right to move soldiers wherever he wanted?

-------------
Me Grimlock not nice Dino! Me bash brains!

Posted By: red clay
Date Posted: 21-May-2012 at 09:30
Originally posted by Nick1986

Get this into your head Scamp: you must tone down your secessionist views as many members find them offensive. I'd like to try and save this thread, so i'll ask a question: how was the levying of troops any different from the actions of previous presidents? Surely as commander in chief Lincoln had the right to move soldiers wherever he wanted?

Nick, your wasting your time with this thick head.  He's not interested in any truths, just a lot of very old and tired arguments that have been shot down many times before.  When someone says that NJ and WVA were slave states or states that supported slavery, they are either misinformed, or just trying to stir things up.  I don't have time for this nonsense.

This thread will go on, but without scamp.

Scamp is suspended, indefinitely.

-------------
"Arguing with someone who hates you or your ideas, is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter what move you make, your opponent will walk all over the board and scramble the pieces".
Unknown.

Posted By: Zeeboe
Date Posted: 21-May-2012 at 10:05
What was the Confederate Cause?

Take this online quiz and find out.

http://bellsouthpwp.net/m/e/mebuckner/civwarquiz.htm - http://bellsouthpwp.net/m/e/mebuckner/civwarquiz.htm

Have fun.

Posted By: Centrix Vigilis
Date Posted: 21-May-2012 at 18:19
Originally posted by Nick1986

There was no difference in either constitutional allowance, supported by federal statute law and or precedence.
As he enjoyed the privilege as CIC. However militia laws can be a tricky thing. As the state authorities then and now retain 'immediate usage' rights, unless as he did, they are called into federal service.

The refusals were based on an interpretative analysis, by authorities who either supported secession directly or who wished a position of neutrality, that state law trumped federal. And that had already been laid to rest viz Jackson and the nullification crisis period and the use of executive authority.

-------------
"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"

S. T. Friedman

Pilger's law: 'If it's been officially denied, then it's probably true'

Posted By: Nick1986
Date Posted: 22-May-2012 at 14:18
Originally posted by Zeeboe

What was the Confederate Cause?

Take this online quiz and find out.

http://bellsouthpwp.net/m/e/mebuckner/civwarquiz.htm -

-------------
Me Grimlock not nice Dino! Me bash brains!

Posted By: Cryptic
Date Posted: 22-May-2012 at 16:43
I wonder if North Carolina, Arkansas and Virginia would have left the Union had not Lincoln attempted to use their state militias to invade other southeren states.

Delaware's response is also interesting in a nueteral way:  Yes, we will send troops, but you have no intrinsic right to demand them.  BTW, they will serve for 90 days.

Originally posted by red clay

When someone says that NJ and WVA were slave states or states that supported slavery, they are either misinformed, or just trying to stir things up. 
I am unsure what the reference to New Jersey was about.

West Virginia seems pretty complicated.  West Virginia was formed as a pro union slave state.   Likewise, though most of West Virginia was pro union, being politically pro- union did not always mean being opposed to slavery.

Even more confusing is that some (or many) mountaineers in West Virginia, east TN, east Kentucky and the Ozarks were personally pro union, might have a dim view of slavery as a concept ("Mountaineers are always Free"), yet not be abolitionists per se and yet also be unwilling to invade other southeren states.   

Posted By: Mikestone8
Date Posted: 15-Mar-2014 at 04:41
I am unsure what the reference to New Jersey was about.

NJ adopted gradual emancipation in 1804, and by 1860 was a free state for all practical purposes. But iirc the 1860 census showed four elderly slaves (or "life apprentices") still living there.

-------------
Mike Stone, Peterborough, England.

Always drink upriver from the herd.

Print Page | Close Window

Bulletin Board Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 9.56a - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2009 Web Wiz - http://www.webwizguide.com