Print Page | Close Window

Monsters in Uniform

Printed From: History Community ~ All Empires
Category: General History
Forum Name: Military History
Forum Discription: Discussions related to military history: generals, battles, campaigns, etc.
URL: http://www.allempires.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=30619
Printed Date: 16-Apr-2024 at 14:52
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 9.56a - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Monsters in Uniform
Posted By: Nick1986
Subject: Monsters in Uniform
Date Posted: 11-Nov-2011 at 19:24

This foul creature is Oskar Dirlewanger, a rapist, murderer and pedophile. During the war he was put in charge of a special SS unit made up of convicted criminals with the intent of unleashing a wave of terror on the conquered Slavs, comparable to the Black and Tans in Ireland. At the end of the war this monster was captured and beaten to death in his cell by his Polish guards, an end much more befitting than the hangman's noose

-------------
Me Grimlock not nice Dino! Me bash brains!

Replies:
Date Posted: 14-Nov-2011 at 21:31

Here's another depraved individual: death camp commandant Amon Goth (portrayed by Ralph Fiennes). Survivors describe him as the personification of evil: a cold-blooded murderer who tortured and shot Jews on a whim, even charging them for the ammunition used for the executions. This monster died unrepentant, giving the Nazi salute before his hanging

-------------

Date Posted: 15-Nov-2011 at 19:12

The cruelty of the Japanese matched that of the Germans. Above is Shiro Ishii, a scientist who experimented on prisoners. Unfortunately he was never brought to justice as MacArthur gave him immunity in return for cooperating with the Allies

-------------

Posted By: Menumorut
Date Posted: 15-Nov-2011 at 19:32
These are psychopaths are are found in any nation, not only among Germans and Japanese. The Nazist regime only provided them with the freedom to do what they want. If a similar regime were in France or other country the same things would happened. Most of the German soldiers behaved pretty well compared with what Russians have done to the peoples they "eliberated", I mean millions of rapes, looting etc organized and unorganized. And while today Germans and Japanese peoples regret what their predecessors have done, the today Russians find pride and continue to opress different nations in the last empire of the modern world.

-------------
http://img210.imageshack.us/img210/3992/10ms4.jpg">

Date Posted: 16-Nov-2011 at 19:22
That may be so Menumorot, but the Nazis and Japanese caused the most suffering (together with their Croat, Ukrainian and Vichy collaborator allies). The Russians' brutality was largely a reaction to German atrocities, like the massacre of suspected communists, the rape of Russian women, and the extermination of captured Red Army soldiers in the death camps

-------------

Posted By: Menumorut
Date Posted: 16-Nov-2011 at 23:42
Russians didn't rape only Germans but Polish, Romanians, Russians as well. They mass-murdered by execution or pogroms hundreds of thousands of Poles, Jews, Romanians and other people both during Russian civil war and WW2). They deported millions of Romanians from Bessarabia and Bukovina, Ukrainians and other people in Siberia. They deported to Siberia too Saxons and Swabians from Transylvania only because they were German.

Yet, no Russian have ever been charged with war crimes by the International Criminal Court or Soviet or Russian tribunal.

For ten years they stole much of Romanian resources, like the entire uranium production (17,000 tons).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soviet_war_crimes - Soviet war crimes

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soviet_occupation_of_Romania - Soviet occupation of Romania

-------------
http://img210.imageshack.us/img210/3992/10ms4.jpg">

Posted By: PanzerOberst
Date Posted: 17-Nov-2011 at 03:51
Agreed Menumorot, both sides committed all kinds of war crimes, but as good ol' Churchill said "History will be written by the victors" so the allies war crimes were conveniently ignored. My fav candidate would be this fellow, he's guilty of all kind of things I suppose but the first that comes to mind would be for being such a hopeless idiot. http://www.allempires.com/forum/uploads/6150/himm9.rar - uploads/6150/himm9.rar

-------------
"If the tanks succeed, then victory follows"
- Heinz W. Guderian

Posted By: Chookie
Date Posted: 17-Nov-2011 at 16:40
Originally posted by Nick1986

.....The Russians' brutality was largely a reaction to German atrocities, like the massacre of suspected communists, the rape of Russian women, and the extermination of captured Red Army soldiers in the death camps

Really Nick? What about the Katyn Forest and the massacre of the Polish officers corps?

-------------
For money you did what guns could not do.........

Posted By: Karalem
Date Posted: 17-Nov-2011 at 16:56

That may be so Menumorot, but the Nazis and Japanese caused the most suffering (together with their Croat, Ukrainian and Vichy collaborator allies). The Russians' brutality was largely a reaction to German atrocities, like the massacre of suspected communists, the rape of Russian women, and the extermination of captured Red Army soldiers in the death camps

I wouldn't call it extermination. The Germans were not able to feed their own troops stretched over Russia, so how could they feed their POVs. Most  prisoners died in fenced off quickly set up camps. The cause was hunger. Just like in Leningrad, similar logic. Starve the people and youll march into an empty city. Problem sorted. No ethical troublesome questions.

-------------
One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest

Date Posted: 17-Nov-2011 at 20:12
Originally posted by Chookie

.....The Russians' brutality was largely a reaction to German atrocities, like the massacre of suspected communists, the rape of Russian women, and the extermination of captured Red Army soldiers in the death camps

Really Nick? What about the Katyn Forest and the massacre of the Polish officers corps?

These were killings by a small group of NKVD men. While ordinary Russian troops could be brutal, in the German and Japanese armies such practice was both widespread and encouraged. The Germans bombed civilians in Spain and England, burned churches full of women and children, massacred Jews in Poland, took hostages, burned French villages, wired schools with explosives to draw out resistance fighters, and executed Polish soldiers as bandits rather than lawful combatants.
The Japanese were even worse: they skewered babies on bayonets, beheaded prisoners for fun, tortured POWs, experimented on Chinese civilians, raped women and little girls, used chemical weapons, and may have even eaten human flesh

-------------

Posted By: Cryptic
Date Posted: 19-Nov-2011 at 10:06
As a side note, both the NKVD and the SS realized that most people were not not going to participate in the mass murder.  Both regimes used relatively small groups of men who had demonstrated that they were psychologicaly capable of commiting mass murder. 

These small units (SS Einsatzgruppen and special NKVD platoons) were then moved from site to site.   For example, the murders at Katyn may have only involved 100 or so actual shooters.  In other instances, a travelling NKVD execution platoon would arrive at a labor camp designated to be purged and then systematially execute several thousand people over the course of a week before moving to the next camp.      

Date Posted: 19-Nov-2011 at 19:49
Originally posted by Karalem

I wouldn't call it extermination. The Germans were not able to feed their own troops stretched over Russia, so how could they feed their POVs. Most  prisoners died in fenced off quickly set up camps. The cause was hunger. Just like in Leningrad, similar logic. Starve the people and youll march into an empty city. Problem sorted. No ethical troublesome questions.

It was definitely extermination. The Germans seized all the food and deliberately starved Slavs in the conquered territory with the approval of Himmler and Hitler himself. In the concentration camps Russian prisoners were worked to death, and those deemed too weak joined the Jews in the gas chamber. The Germans treated the Poles in exactly the same way: as slaves or even vermin

-------------

Date Posted: 20-Nov-2011 at 19:08

Here's one of the butchers responsible: that cowardly little man Himmler. He ordered the deaths of millions but, upon visiting a death camp, promptly threw up when the blood of a recently executed prisoner stained his designer-brand uniform

-------------

Date Posted: 25-Nov-2011 at 19:30

A typical member of the "Aryan Master Race." In any other society this creep would probably be a registered sex offender, serial killer, or traffic warden

-------------

Date Posted: 26-Nov-2011 at 08:23
^
Who is this person?

Posted By: medenaywe
Date Posted: 26-Nov-2011 at 08:36
Pol Pot or Saloth Sar,leader of Khmer Rouge,mass murders executor(ideological):
http://www.moreorless.au.com/killers/pot.html - http://www.moreorless.au.com/killers/pot.html  

Date Posted: 26-Nov-2011 at 19:06
Originally posted by Cryptic

^
Who is this person?

One of the SS men employed as concentration camp guards

-------------

Date Posted: 27-Nov-2011 at 10:12

I am surprised by his age.  Maybe this photo was taken late war when the Germans got desperate or it may have been taken in the early 1930s when anybody with a sadistic streak could put on an improvised unform and abuse inmates at a concentration camp for a few weeks / months.  

As a side note, he may well not be a "typical member of the master race" meaning that he may not even be German.  Thousands of concentration camp guards were locally recruited Ukrainians, Belarussians, Latvians etc.  I do not have enough knowledge to tell by his uniform whether he is German or a local or when the photo might have been taken.  

Russians' brutality was largely a reaction to German atrocities, like the massacre of suspected communists, the rape of Russian women, and the extermination of captured Red Army soldiers in the death camps
The Soviets killed millions of their own citizens before the war even started.  Likewise, Mao's Great Leap Forward and the Cultural revolution were purely internal as well and not in response to atrocities perpetrated by others.

This foul creature is Oskar Dirlewanger, a rapist, murderer and pedophile. During the war he was put in charge of a special SS unit made up of convicted criminals with the intent of unleashing a wave of terror on the conquered Slavs, comparable to the Black and Tans in Ireland.
And ironically, there were many Slavs (Ukrainians) in his unit with an intense hatred of Poles.

Posted By: unclefred
Date Posted: 27-Nov-2011 at 17:00

As a side note, both the NKVD and the SS realized that most people were not not going to participate in the mass murder.  Both regimes used relatively small groups of men who had demonstrated that they were psychologicaly capable of commiting mass murder. 

These small units (SS Einsatzgruppen and special NKVD platoons) were then moved from site to site.   For example, the murders at Katyn may have only involved 100 or so actual shooters.  In other instances, a travelling NKVD execution platoon would arrive at a labor camp designated to be purged and then systematially execute several thousand people over the course of a week before moving to the next camp.      

That's a very good point that should moderate the discussion a bit. (Bad pun)
I wonder about the Japanese? Especially in China?

Date Posted: 27-Nov-2011 at 19:17

I am surprised by his age.  Maybe this photo was taken late war when the Germans got desperate or it may have been taken in the early 1930s when anybody with a sadistic streak could put on an improvised unform and abuse inmates at a concentration camp for a few weeks / months.  

As a side note, he may well not be a "typical member of the master race" meaning that he may not even be German.  Thousands of concentration camp guards were locally recruited Ukrainians, Belarussians, Latvians etc.  I do not have enough knowledge to tell by his uniform whether he is German or a local or when the photo might have been taken.  

Russians' brutality was largely a reaction to German atrocities, like the massacre of suspected communists, the rape of Russian women, and the extermination of captured Red Army soldiers in the death camps
The Soviets killed millions of their own citizens before the war even started.  Likewise, Mao's Great Leap Forward and the Cultural revolution were purely internal as well and not in response to atrocities perpetrated by others.

This foul creature is Oskar Dirlewanger, a rapist, murderer and pedophile. During the war he was put in charge of a special SS unit made up of convicted criminals with the intent of unleashing a wave of terror on the conquered Slavs, comparable to the Black and Tans in Ireland.
And ironically, there were many Slavs (Ukrainians) in his unit with an intense hatred of Poles.

I think he's a German or Austrian as he's wearing a WWI medal. However, i wouldn't be surprised if he was a Ukrainian as these collaborators did terrible things when the Nazis invaded Poland

-------------

Date Posted: 28-Nov-2011 at 09:17
Originally posted by unclefred

That's a very good point that should moderate the discussion a bit. (Bad pun)
I wonder about the Japanese? Especially in China?

Now that you mention it, the Japanese seemed to have used the exact opposite approach.  Maybe the pre-war Japanese culture of total obedience allowed them to use ordianry units for atrocities where as the Germans and Soviets encountered problems?

For example, ordinary Japanese sodliers were orderd to particiapte in the mass bayoneting of prisoners or the shooting of civilians as a means to "blood them".   Murder with a bayonet especially desensitized them for the next "action".  Ordinary German combat units rarely participated in directly in mass killings.

Ordinary Japanese combat units also conducted the horrific Kill All, Burn All, Loot All anti guerilla campaigns. In adition to "official murders", individual Japanese soldiers with sadistic tendencies were permitted / encouraged to act at random during these campaigns.  In contrast, the Germans used specialized units for mass murder,  round ups of victims from Ghettos and horrific anti partisan sweeps.  Sadistic actions by individuals was usually not permitted and seen as bad for discipline.

Pre War Soviet atrocities (1945 Vengenace atrocites were different) of mass murder, round ups for  deporations etc. were also conducted by specialized units (ideologically driven "Shock Worker" militias would supplement special NKVD units and move about the country side to new assignments).  As with the Germans, sadistic actions by individuals was rarely tolerated.

Posted By: red clay
Date Posted: 28-Nov-2011 at 09:26
Perhaps because of his age he was in the "Volksturm"?  That's not a standard Uniform he's wearing.

-------------
"Arguing with someone who hates you or your ideas, is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter what move you make, your opponent will walk all over the board and scramble the pieces".
Unknown.

Date Posted: 28-Nov-2011 at 11:35

I think he's a German or Austrian as he's wearing a WWI medal.
Good eyes and good knowledge

Originally posted by red clay

Perhaps because of his age he was in the "Volksturm"?  That's not a standard Uniform he's wearing.

Good points, but he is wearing the deaths head emblem which strongly suggests concentration camp / ghetto duties.  The Volkstrum were mobilized 1944-45 for last ditch combat and were not used as camp guards to my knowledge. 

Hmm... I am thinking Volksdeutch, probably from Poland.   That could explain his age, the German / Austrian WWI medal and his non standard uniform (older Volksdeutch volunteers more likely to be accepted early in the war as ghetto guards etc. and would be more likely to be issued improvised uniforms than German units from Germany).

Date Posted: 28-Nov-2011 at 19:01

Here's a photo of the German War Merit Cross. All WWI veterans from the German or Austro-Hungarian armies were eligible for this award

-------------

Date Posted: 24-Feb-2012 at 19:11

Joseph Mengele needs no introduction. This butcher performed gruesome experiments on Jewish prisoners for his own sick pleasure

-------------

Date Posted: 25-Feb-2012 at 19:11

Irma Grese was just 22 when she was executed for war crimes. During the war she was a guard at Auschwitz and enjoyed beating inmates and setting dogs on them

-------------

Date Posted: 26-Feb-2012 at 19:16

Klaus Barbie was a Gestapo officer who tortured men, women and children suspected of involvement with the French Resistance. After the war he supplied arms to Latin American dictatorships and helped the West German government root out suspected communists

-------------

Date Posted: 27-Feb-2012 at 19:13

Bronislav Kaminski was a Russian traitor who led an anticommunist SS unit against partisans. Kaminski's "Russian Liberation army" murdered over 10,000 civilians before he was arrested and shot by the Gestapo who blamed his death on the resistance

-------------

Date Posted: 27-Feb-2012 at 22:59

Bronislav Kaminski was a Russian traitor who led an anticommunist SS unit against partisans. Kaminski's "Russian Liberation army" murdered over 10,000 civilians before he was arrested and shot by the Gestapo who blamed his death on the resistance
His worst crimes were in Warsaw, where his unit (consisting of a large number of visciously anti polish ukrainians) committed atrocities that even the German SS thought were excessive.  These unauthorized atrocities, coupled with unauthorized looting and fears that his unit was spiraling totally out of control (potentially leading to even more headaches for the Germans) led to his execution at the hands of the SS.  As a trivia side note, I believe that Kaminski self identified as Belorussian, and not Russian.

Date Posted: 15-Jul-2012 at 19:06

Theodore Eicke commanded the 3rd SS "Totenkopf" division tasked with exterminating the Jews. He personally executed Ernst Rohm during the Night of the Long Knives and was put in charge of inspecting the concentration camps during the war

-------------

Date Posted: 16-Jul-2012 at 19:18

The Japanese army was an army of cowards in which every soldier was a monster. Toshiaki Mukai and Tsuyoshi Noda had a contest to see who could behead 100 prisoners first, in the tradition of their Samurai predecessors

-------------

Date Posted: 17-Jul-2012 at 20:19

Japanese officer Yasuno Chikao tortured and beheaded several Australian prisoners, including sergeant Leonard Siffleet. Some say this butcher was killed in action and others say he was captured and sentenced to death but released after 10 years in jail

-------------

Date Posted: 18-Jul-2012 at 19:41
Another Nazi war criminal was arrested today. Hungarian police chief Lazlo Csatary is accused of sending over 15000 Jews to Auschwitz
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2175308/Laszlo-Csatary-Number-wanted-Nazi-war-criminal-arrested-Budapest.html - http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2175308/Laszlo-Csatary-Number-wanted-Nazi-war-criminal-arrested-Budapest.html

-------------

Date Posted: 20-Jul-2012 at 21:24

Sadistic Gestapo chief Reinhard Heydrich was one of the planners of the Final Solution. His assassination by British-trained Czechoslovakian soldiers resulted in the 1942 Lidice Massacre where 340 civilians were murdered by the Germans on site, or sent to the death camps

-------------

Date Posted: 21-Jul-2012 at 19:49

Adolf Eichmann was assigned by Heydrich to oversee the deportation of Jews to the death camps. This monster escaped to South America after the war but was captured by a team of Israeli commandos and hung in 1962 after a show trial.

-------------

Date Posted: 22-Jul-2012 at 20:18

Lidice monument to the 84 children murdered by the Nazis

-------------

Date Posted: 23-Jul-2012 at 19:13
10 most wanted Nazis still living:
http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-news/top-10-most-wanted-nazis-1152199%20 - http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-news/top-10-most-wanted-nazis-1152199

-------------

Date Posted: 24-Jul-2012 at 19:20

General Yamashita plundered the riches of Southeast Asia and concealed it in a network of caves in the Philippines. This gangster was responsible for the Manila and Sook Ching massacres: cold-blooded murder of Filipino and Singaporean citizens suspected of being guerrillas. The Japs even murdered hospital patients and Red Cross personnel

-------------

Date Posted: 25-Jul-2012 at 20:04

Ante Pavelic led the Croatian fascists during WWII. His Ustashe committed atrocities that sickened even the Germans. Their speciality was beheading prisoners with a special knife integrated into a glove known as a Srbosjek or "Serb cutter"

-------------

Date Posted: 26-Jul-2012 at 19:45

An original Ustashe knife

-------------

Date Posted: 27-Jul-2012 at 20:26
Julius Streicher was behind many of the prewar antisemitic laws in Germany. He destroyed the synagogue at Nuremberg in 1938, seized Jewish property, and beat Jews with a bullwhip. He was hung in 1945 for crimes against humanity

-------------

Date Posted: 28-Jul-2012 at 19:41

Julius Streicher

-------------

Date Posted: 29-Jul-2012 at 19:18

Yasuhiko Asaka organised the Rape of Nanking to punish the Chinese, ordering his troops to "kill them all." He was never punished due to his royal blood, although he lost his title in 1947

-------------

Date Posted: 30-Jul-2012 at 19:34

Allied propagandists depicted Herman Goring as a flamboyant, comical figure. However, the real Goring was a greedy and cruel monster. He looted the captured territories of art for his personal collection, formed the Gestapo, and deliberately bombed civilians in London and Coventry

-------------

Date Posted: 31-Jul-2012 at 19:40

Alois Brunner deported over 50000 Jews to the death camps and shot the financier Sigmund Bosel, despite the old man being very sick and weak. After the war Brunner escaped to Syria, where he worked as a torturer for the Baath dictatorship and lived under the pseudonym Dr Fisher until he died in 1996

-------------

Date Posted: 01-Aug-2012 at 19:24
Ivan "the Terrible" Demanjuk, a brutal Ukrainian concentration camp guard who gassed and hacked to death many Jews
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-13345166 - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-13345166

-------------

Date Posted: 02-Aug-2012 at 21:01

Franz Stangl (centre) was commandant of Treblinka death camp. He killed over 900000 people when he oversaw the T-4 euthanasia program. After the war he escaped to Brazil and wasn't caught until 1967. He died of heart failure four years later

-------------

Date Posted: 03-Aug-2012 at 19:35

Insignia of the 3rd SS. This division was tasked with exterminating the Jews and guarding the death camps

-------------

Date Posted: 04-Aug-2012 at 19:17
Albert Heim aka "Dr Death" left Germany in 1962 and remains at large. His crimes include mass-murder and sick experiments on Mauthausen's Jewish inmates. If this torturer is still alive he would be 94 now

-------------

Date Posted: 08-Aug-2012 at 19:17
A Lithuanian war criminal's recollections of the shooting of Jews:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2185315/Nazi-criminal-says-Jews-screamed-like-geese.html - http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2185315/Nazi-criminal-says-Jews-screamed-like-geese.html

-------------

Posted By: Centrix Vigilis
Date Posted: 08-Aug-2012 at 22:08
I want to commend my friend Nick for his work here.....all to often history lulls us to sleep. Perhaps it's her way of protecting us from the horror we perpetuate amongst ourselves.....but don't be fooled.

The bitch is wide awake. And she will report even when threatened with revisonism.

Now my only complaint is widen it to include others of the era and context. But ole Nick knew I cant never be satisfied.....must be the Cav in me.LOL

-------------
"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"

S. T. Friedman

Pilger's law: 'If it's been officially denied, then it's probably true'

Posted By: Alyazia
Date Posted: 09-Aug-2012 at 06:13
Hitler, genghis khan and holako too maybe idk Smile

-------------
(:

Date Posted: 09-Aug-2012 at 16:21
Well there as good as any if ya believe them to be so.....depends on the viewpoint and yours is as good as anybody elses. Mine would include Stalin and varying Japanese of WW2. Pol Pot...Mao and a couple along those lines.

It's all context.

-------------

S. T. Friedman

Date Posted: 09-Aug-2012 at 19:16

U-Boat commander Heinz Eck (left) sank a Greek steamship in 1944, then massacred the survivors to prevent them alerting allied planes. 

-------------

Date Posted: 10-Aug-2012 at 20:40
More eyewitness accounts of Japanese atrocities. How could they be so cruel?
http://www.csee.umbc.edu/%7Ekunliu1/Nanjing_Massacre.html - http://www.csee.umbc.edu/~kunliu1/Nanjing_Massacre.html

-------------

Date Posted: 10-Aug-2012 at 23:46
That's more complex then it seems even given the neo apologies of the Japanese government ref the same.

I recommend the following:

vi.uh.edu/pages/buzzmat/DH%20articles/WW%20II/koshiro.pdf

http://www.wanpela.com/holdouts/history.html - http://www.wanpela.com/holdouts/history.html

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:PtVP4iOVGc4J:html.doam.org/archiv/textea/yasukuni/y82_miyata.pdf+mentality+of+japanese+war+crimes&cd=9&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us - http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:PtVP4iOVGc4J:html.doam.org/archiv/textea/yasukuni/y82_miyata.pdf+mentality+of+japanese+war+crimes&cd=9&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us

http://www.gmu.edu/programs/icar/ijps/vol5_2/oh_grbi.htm - http://www.gmu.edu/programs/icar/ijps/vol5_2/oh_grbi.htm

http://socrates.berkeley.edu/~warcrime/PT.htm - http://socrates.berkeley.edu/~warcrime/PT.htm

http://www.airpower.maxwell.af.mil/airchronicles/aureview/1979/nov-dec/symonds.html - http://www.airpower.maxwell.af.mil/airchronicles/aureview/1979/nov-dec/symonds.html

Much more out there.

-------------

S. T. Friedman

Date Posted: 26-Aug-2012 at 19:15
Originally posted by Centrix Vigilis

Well there as good as any if ya believe them to be so.....depends on the viewpoint and yours is as good as anybody elses. Mine would include Stalin and varying Japanese of WW2. Pol Pot...Mao and a couple along those lines.

It's all context.

Other countries' soldiers could also be cruel, but few (not even the Russians) matched the Germans and Japanese in senseless brutality

-------------

Posted By: Mountain Man
Date Posted: 30-Aug-2012 at 19:02

The cruelty of the Japanese matched that of the Germans. Above is Shiro Ishii, a scientist who experimented on prisoners. Unfortunately he was never brought to justice as MacArthur gave him immunity in return for cooperating with the Allies

Wasn't he in charge of Unit 731 at Harbin?

Giving monsters immunity is nothing new.  The American military gladly traded for the data from the horrific Luftwaffe Medical experiments, which were so bad that the Luftwaffe officers refused to be associated with the testing in any way.

And Operation Paperclip welcomed Nazis into our midst, including people like Werner von Braun.

-------------
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Date Posted: 30-Aug-2012 at 19:04

Originally posted by Centrix Vigilis

It's all context.

Other countries' soldiers could also be cruel, but few (not even the Russians) matched the Germans and Japanese in senseless brutality

On the contrary, the Russians more than matched the brutality of the Germans and the Japanese, against their own people as well as their enemies.

-------------

Date Posted: 30-Aug-2012 at 19:07

Allied propagandists depicted Herman Goring as a flamboyant, comical figure. However, the real Goring was a greedy and cruel monster. He looted the captured territories of art for his personal collection, formed the Gestapo, and deliberately bombed civilians in London and Coventry

Unfortunately, the Allies practiced unrestricted bombing of civilians throughout the war (including the Americans) and we looted German museums and all of their technology afterwards.

Goering was no worse that Bomber Harris against the Germans or American General LeMay against the population of Japan.

-------------

Date Posted: 31-Aug-2012 at 19:04
It was the Germans who first bombed civilians and provoked the Allies to respond in kind. Harris' firebombing (in his own words) deprived the Nazis of many future workers and soldiers

-------------

Date Posted: 02-Sep-2012 at 20:13
Some Japanese still believe the Nanking Massacre was invented by Chinese propagandists. This sounds very similar to neo-fascist Holocaust denial
http://www.pacificwar.org.au/WarCrimeIntro.html - http://www.pacificwar.org.au/WarCrimeIntro.html

-------------

Posted By: Delenda est Roma
Date Posted: 02-Sep-2012 at 21:39
That site has a very large bias.

-------------

Date Posted: 03-Sep-2012 at 12:55

Some Japanese still believe the Nanking Massacre was invented by Chinese propagandists. This sounds very similar to neo-fascist Holocaust denial
http://www.pacificwar.org.au/WarCrimeIntro.html - http://www.pacificwar.org.au/WarCrimeIntro.html

What do they think about the thousands of Korean women forced into military prostitution by the Japanese army?  The large population of post-war Japanese-Korean children is more than enough evidence about that issue, as is the apology ultimately demanded by the Korean nation itself a few years ago.

The trouble with history is that it lingers on and and stains the honor of nations long after the atrocities are done.

-------------

Date Posted: 03-Sep-2012 at 20:17
Originally posted by Mountain Man

What do they think about the thousands of Korean women forced into military prostitution by the Japanese army?  The large population of post-war Japanese-Korean children is more than enough evidence about that issue, as is the apology ultimately demanded by the Korean nation itself a few years ago.

The trouble with history is that it lingers on and and stains the honor of nations long after the atrocities are done.

They might respond with some insane conspiracy theory, like modern-day neo-Nazis claiming the Holocaust was committed by the alliesWacko

-------------

Date Posted: 05-Sep-2012 at 19:18
Here's another one for the collection:

Pol Pot:

-------------

Date Posted: 06-Sep-2012 at 20:04

Another evil bastard: Ratko Mladic who ordered the mass-execution of many Bosnian Muslims

-------------

Date Posted: 07-Sep-2012 at 12:46
Ever notice how the monsters like their military uniforms?  

-------------

Posted By: Don Quixote
Date Posted: 07-Sep-2012 at 15:43
It's psychological -  a uniform gves one a different image to hind behind; an exuse fro whatever happens when one is it; a feeling of belonging. It's easier to commit an atrocity when in uniform because it happens in a social role, that is symbolizzed by the uniform.

So monsters can kill babies while in uniform and kiss their own kids when without it - it's like a double life. So they like uniforms. Besides monsters are fragile people, usually with low self-respect that take their own anger on others - so they need the protection of the uniform and the reinforced feeling of belonging it gives.

-------------

Date Posted: 07-Sep-2012 at 19:22

A peaked cap and uniform also look more intimidating. Take this Gestapo officer, for example

-------------

Date Posted: 24-Sep-2012 at 19:02
We've known this for years, but only now do they make it official: the ordinary Wehrmacht on the Eastern Front were as brutal as the SS
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2206982/I-liked-shoot--women-kids--kind-sport-Secret-Nazi-tapes-reveal-ordinary-German-soldiers-responsible-war-crimes-just-SS.html - http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2206982/I-liked-shoot--women-kids--kind-sport-Secret-Nazi-tapes-reveal-ordinary-German-soldiers-responsible-war-crimes-just-SS.html

-------------

Date Posted: 27-Oct-2012 at 11:04
Sometimes Nazi war criminals got a taste of their own medicine. They weren't so tough when they were facing grown men, not helpless women and children
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2223831/How-Britain-tortured-Nazi-PoWs-The-horrifying-interrogation-methods-belie-proud-boast-fought-clean-war.html - http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2223831/How-Britain-tortured-Nazi-PoWs-The-horrifying-interrogation-methods-belie-proud-boast-fought-clean-war.html

-------------

Posted By: Azita
Date Posted: 29-Oct-2012 at 10:54

Henry Wirz
A forgotton name in much of US history, but does he count as a monster in Uniform?

Azita

Date Posted: 29-Oct-2012 at 12:24
Yup. He'll do.

-------------

S. T. Friedman

Posted By: Salah ad-Din
Date Posted: 31-Oct-2012 at 14:20
A scapegoat in uniform, maybe.

But if this Azita is Historum's former Azita, then he's pure evil just because he lived in America:)

Date Posted: 31-Oct-2012 at 15:30
Originally posted by Salah ad-Din

But if this Azita is Historum's former Azita, then he's pure evil just because he lived in America:)

3. Trolling can also be considered as, "inflammatory remarks, "
 5. "Rude insults, defamatory remarks"  "personal attacks, "
 6. "Nationalism "
 8. Negative attitude; tone of confrontation, annoyance, or contempt; disrespectful toward other members.

Some of the( abridged) forum rules here, perhaps Salah Ad-din has not had time to read them yet.

Azita
PS:  Surely no one could apporove of Fort Sumter ????

Date Posted: 31-Oct-2012 at 15:46

A scapegoat in uniform, maybe.

Ease up Salah and remember keep the personalities out of it. As your last sentence was not necessary.

-------------

S. T. Friedman

Date Posted: 31-Oct-2012 at 15:50
Originally posted by Azita

3. Trolling can also be considered as, "inflammatory remarks, "
 5. "Rude insults, defamatory remarks"  "personal attacks, "
 6. "Nationalism "
 8. Negative attitude; tone of confrontation, annoyance, or contempt; disrespectful toward other members.

Some of the( abridged) forum rules here, perhaps Salah Ad-din has not had time to read them yet.

Azita
PS:  Surely no one could approve of Fort Sumter ????

Your point is made.

Now also remember the other guideline in the CoC...you have a complaint. Take it PM to a Mod or the Admin for resolution. We avoid flame wars this way.

And for general edification and enlightenment for all concerned, now or in the future. They may rest assured; flame wars wont happen here as long as I Mod.

Period.

-------------

S. T. Friedman

Date Posted: 31-Oct-2012 at 15:54
As for the thread.

Jallianwala Bagh massacre.

BG Reginald E.H. Dyer, British India Army, makes the list.

-------------

S. T. Friedman

Date Posted: 31-Oct-2012 at 17:21
Ah! the amritsar massacre, much more to this than is often mentioned, especially the events preceding the order to open fire.

I suspect that 1857 was still remembered as well. Still cant be condoned, just better understood.

It is quite a testimony to the British of that time, that they were also outraged and disgusted by the event. and the subsequent changes made

BTW the 1984 massacre was far more bloody.

Date Posted: 01-Nov-2012 at 05:26
using the Amristar/jallianwala analogy would US generals james conway and Richard Natonski  fall into the same category as monster in uniform after the huge civilian deaths in Fallujah?

even ordering the use of chemical weapons on civilians.

Or is it simply  c`est la guerre?

Posted By: Salah ad-Din
Date Posted: 01-Nov-2012 at 14:34
My cousin is an American soldier.  He must be a monster in uniform too!

Posted By: medenaywe
Date Posted: 01-Nov-2012 at 14:43
Peace with you Salah ad-Din.Both of you just have different angle of view on actual events.SmileRegards.

Date Posted: 01-Nov-2012 at 14:50

using the Amritsar/jallianwala analogy would US generals james conway and Richard Natonski  fall into the same category as monster in uniform after the huge civilian deaths in Fallujah?

even ordering the use of chemical weapons on civilians.

Or is it simply  c`est la guerre?

Probably not...as this is a case of apples and oranges...tho controversy over the use of incendiaries in possible violation of Proto. 3, CWC 80 treaty, remains an issue.  Internal investigations were determinate that no violation occurred...viz the charges of indiscriminate use or targeting of civilians in general. Fallujah has been defined as a battle between two armed opponent forces not an indiscriminate-discriminate (depends on viewpoint) massacre of unarmed civilians protesting Raj policies. Interestingly, but whats not often reported, was that insurgents and foreign mujahideen forces involved were also in violation of the code in the use of civilians and civilian infrastructure as shields.

And to be absolutely correct this was not a US specific op...but a coalition. So an effort to broad brush paint it as such, by anyone, falls short. For in theory and in practice; had the UN convened a WC investigation, it would have been inclusive of all force commanders down to platoon level of all forces involved.

-------------

S. T. Friedman

Date Posted: 07-Nov-2012 at 08:42
Besides his official duties of photographing Auschwitz's prisoners, Wilhelm Brasse also recorded the sadistic Nazis who abused them. These were dug up after the war and used in the Nuremberg trials
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2224026/The-photographer-Auschwitz-Man-forced-chilling-images-Jewish-prisoners-haunted-death-94.html%20 - http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2224026/The-photographer-Auschwitz-Man-forced-chilling-images-Jewish-prisoners-haunted-death-94.html

-------------

Date Posted: 24-Nov-2012 at 11:24
The Nazis took pride in killing and abusing prisoners. They were convinced such atrocities strengthened Germany
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2236916/Not-just-following-orders--Nazi-prison-camp-bosses-took-pride-doing-new-study-claimed.html - http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2236916/Not-just-following-orders--Nazi-prison-camp-bosses-took-pride-doing-new-study-claimed.html

-------------

Date Posted: 27-Nov-2012 at 07:41
Hans Breyer, an Auschwitz guard with US citizenship:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2012/sep/23/germany-inquiry-ex-auschwitz-guard - http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2012/sep/23/germany-inquiry-ex-auschwitz-guard

-------------

Date Posted: 27-Nov-2012 at 09:25
Well indeed Nick.

If we are going in that direction then how about.

Shiro-ishii

still i suppose better than Stalin having him.

Posted By: Rocky
Date Posted: 27-Nov-2012 at 20:06
What of this man?

I was trying to post a picture of Idi Amin, but I am having technical difficulties.Cry

Date Posted: 28-Nov-2012 at 07:37
Originally posted by Rocky

What of this man?

I was trying to post a picture of Idi Amin, but I am having technical difficulties.Cry

Shiro Ishi was Japan's equivalent to Joseph Mengele: a sick, twisted monster who experimented on live victims for fun

-------------

Date Posted: 10-Dec-2012 at 07:53

Idi Amin: the Adolf Hitler of Africa

-------------

Date Posted: 10-Dec-2012 at 16:05
Good choice.

-------------

S. T. Friedman

Date Posted: 14-Jan-2013 at 18:06
http://www.flickr.com/photos/lz-128/6264601876/">
http://www.flickr.com/photos/lz-128/6264601876/ - Obama & Gaddafi by http://www.flickr.com/people/lz-128/ - LZ-128 , on Flickr
Muammar Gadaffi - a brutal dictator who killed hundreds of his own people and supplied the IRA with weapons

-------------

Date Posted: 14-Jan-2013 at 19:01
Originally posted by Rocky

What of this man?

Yup he was a real corker eh.

-------------

S. T. Friedman

Date Posted: 19-Jan-2013 at 08:44
OK Azita, tell us everything you know about Allied atrocities

-------------

Date Posted: 19-Jan-2013 at 09:27

Oh! Nick.

It seems that this would inflame some of the members here, mentioning these atrocities seems to be a greater sin than the crimes themselves.

I already feel bad about Salah a din, i should not have responded to his challenge.

I don't want to be flippant and just cut and paste the comment i left on the "Japanese crimes" thread.
i was in fact going to delete it, in response to your reproach, but as you had quoted it in its entirety there didn't seem much point. Ouch

Azita

Date Posted: 19-Jan-2013 at 12:14

Oh! Nick.

It seems that this would inflame some of the members here, mentioning these atrocities seems to be a greater sin than the crimes themselves.

I already feel bad about Salah a din, i should not have responded to his challenge.

I don't want to be flippant and just cut and paste the comment i left on the "Japanese crimes" thread.
i was in fact going to delete it, in response to your reproach, but as you had quoted it in its entirety there didn't seem much point. Ouch

Azita

Correct. You should not have. But it's done.

Consequently....Salah's infraction or the consequences of it... is not yours to concern yourself with. Other then to report  the original concern by PM, as per the CoC.

Iow. It was my action. Not yours.

So if you have a problem with that, want to discuss it further or even legitimately bemoan the action, take it PM to another staff member also as per the Co. Don't attempt to get into the business of moderating this forum. That's not your prerogative. And don't attempt to suggest through innuendo or other to include honest regret that it should not have occurred. Because that also is not yours to determine. Nor is it yours to display in open forum..as that would suggest your now attempting to discredit my authority and the individual who gave it to me. And you don't want to do that.

But carry on with a response to Nick's query if it's your wish. But I suggest you provide more then accusations of incidents. If there is veracity then cite sources. Then the discussion can be logically analyzed and debated..rejected or accepted..but more importantly, will demonstrate your capable of analytic discussion and not what might be discerned by others as inflammatory rhetoric.

CV

-------------

S. T. Friedman

Date Posted: 29-Jan-2013 at 11:28
Mengele's diary up for auction:
http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/2834578/Nazi-monster-Josef-Mengeles-evil-diary-jottings-to-go-to-auction.html - http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/2834578/Nazi-monster-Josef-Mengeles-evil-diary-jottings-to-go-to-auction.html

-------------

Posted By: Marlin47
Date Posted: 01-Feb-2013 at 03:44
I have made a lifelong study of both "The Troubles " and Civil War of Ireland . I have painstakingly built up a significant library of many books on these subjects, and I can tell you categorically and without equivocation , that absolutely NOTHING ever done by the "Black and Tans " remotely resembles the actions of even the most restrained and disciplined SS unit, let alone that commanded by Dirlewanger.

Your comparison of the "Tans " with any SS unit is misguided at best or malicious at worst.  I must ask you, please, to cite any actions of the " Tans " that you believe supports your assertions.  Failing that, if you are a contributor with any integrity at all, you really should remove your scurrilous comment to that effect.  Please take into account that there are millions of people who are impressionable and who will otherwise  believe what you say to be correct.

Date Posted: 02-Feb-2013 at 08:10
Originally posted by Marlin47

I have made a lifelong study of both "The Troubles " and Civil War of Ireland . I have painstakingly built up a significant library of many books on these subjects, and I can tell you categorically and without equivocation , that absolutely NOTHING ever done by the "Black and Tans " remotely resembles the actions of even the most restrained and disciplined SS unit, let alone that commanded by Dirlewanger.

Your comparison of the "Tans " with any SS unit is misguided at best or malicious at worst.  I must ask you, please, to cite any actions of the " Tans " that you believe supports your assertions.  Failing that, if you are a contributor with any integrity at all, you really should remove your scurrilous comment to that effect.  Please take into account that there are millions of people who are impressionable and who will otherwise  believe what you say to be correct.

Users like Michael Collins might disagree with you. The Tans' revenge killings of IRA sympathisers (though on a smaller scale than German atrocities in Poland) were intended to terrorise the population into submission. There are reports of Tans torturing prisoners, mistreating defenceless civilians, and shooting indiscriminately. They were nowhere near as bad as the Germans in WWII, but they were still monsters for their brutality:
http://theirishwar.com/organizations/black-tans/ - http://theirishwar.com/organizations/black-tans/

-------------

Print Page | Close Window

Bulletin Board Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 9.56a - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2009 Web Wiz - http://www.webwizguide.com