Print Page | Close Window

...Being 40....

Printed From: History Community ~ All Empires
Category: All Empires Community
Forum Name: AE Tavern
Forum Discription: Come here to introduce yourself and discuss almost anything under the sun! Or just to let your hair down...
URL: http://www.allempires.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=26512
Printed Date: 29-Apr-2024 at 13:12
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 9.56a - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: ...Being 40....
Posted By: Guests
Subject: ...Being 40....
Date Posted: 04-Feb-2009 at 20:01

…..not that I have given it much serious thought, but it has recently dawned on me that this year I will turn 40 years old….now I know that old adage about ‘life begins at 40,’ but to be honest, I have no reason to suggest my life has not been ‘started’ from as long as I can remember….

….right now, I do not feel ‘40’…..but then again, having  never had a 40th birthday before, I cannot say realistically what being aged 40 is actually suppose to feel like!…I still ‘feel’ relatively the same person I was , say, 20 years ago, ok, I have a few more aches and pains, less hair, and the result of a motorbike accident in my youth has started to catch up with me, however, I have yet to develop a serious mid-drift problem, I still listen to the most extreme rock and metal music and I still find Tom and Jerry cartoons very funny, my ‘heroes’ are Genghis Khan, Cromwell, Daffy Duck and Tony Iommi…the same as they were when I was 15…

…the only thing I have found is some of things I used to enjoy when I was younger have somehow been removed from my life by means of stealth…ever since my son was born, I seem to have involuntarily given up drinking alcohol…..not through choice, it just kinda happened….the other day I met up with an old friend for a pint and after one drink I felt about as stable as a one legged man in a bum kicking contest….my idea of a having a thrill nowadays is eating two sugary doughnuts followed by a glass of ice cold Coke Cola…!!..the buzz is great!!!…but like I said, its not through choice…it seems like I have given up most of my youthful enjoyments but didn’t really know it…???…

…I have no intention of trying to ‘re-capture’ my youth via a mid-life crisis, nor do I intend to settle into middle age and become all dusty and covered in cobwebs…..I still enjoy the spontaneous, play my music loud, have arguments with my mates, shout loudly at the TV when the football is on and generally make a nuisance of myself as much as I can…pretty much what I did when I was younger….youngsters look at me as if I am a old codger, but underneath this aged exterior, lies a body with several tattoos, the remains of old piercing, scars, and some stories that wil put your hair on end… in short, I have no idea what it is like to grow old…and maybe that’s a good thing…

..so, any forty-something’s here have any stories, revelations or experiences to tell???

..all the best….I am of to play cars with my son!!!…AoO…

Replies:
Posted By: eaglecap
Date Posted: 04-Feb-2009 at 20:12
I suppose if you are 20 that is old but if you are 60 or 80 that is young-LOL It is all perspetive!! I have but one year and I will be there- ouch!! Remember, if you are a tree 40 is very young!!! Especially for a bristle cone pine!!!

-------------
Λοιπόν, αδελφοί και οι συμπολίτες και οι στρατιώτες, να θυμάστε αυτό ώστε μνημόσυνο σας, φήμη και ελευθερία σας θα ε

Posted By: Menumorut
Date Posted: 04-Feb-2009 at 21:02
I'm not forty yet but I discovered that you feel better if you try to be like the generations that now are kids or teens. Not because they are young but because they know how to be young. I mean the older generations, the ones who enjoyed youth in seventies, eighties or before, have had a wrong consciousness of youth, seeing it as a passing thing, while the today kids think to be young for ever.

-------------
http://img210.imageshack.us/img210/3992/10ms4.jpg">

Date Posted: 04-Feb-2009 at 21:08
Originally posted by eaglecap

I suppose if you are 20 that is old but if you are 60 or 80 that is young-LOL It is all perspetive!! I have but one year and I will be there- ouch!! Remember, if you are a tree 40 is very young!!! Especially for a bristle cone pine!!!

....thats a fair point Eaglecap...i remember hanging in the pub when i was 15...er..sorry...18..and looking at some of the other blokes who were in their 30's and thinking, blimey, your old!!!...but when i reached 30 plus, i did not feel any different to when i was in my late teens....it is about perspective...but i think its more defined when you are younger....being 'older' is just so 'out there'....to far away to even consider, hard to imagine....i remember being 21 forever, or so it felt...once i turned 22, the years just flew by...all of a sudden, i was 30!!!..thinking, what the hell, where did that go!!!

-------------

Date Posted: 04-Feb-2009 at 21:49
Originally posted by Act of Oblivion

....thats a fair point Eaglecap...i remember hanging in the pub when i was 15...er..sorry...18..and looking at some of the other blokes who were in their 30's and thinking, blimey, your old!!!...but when i reached 30 plus, i did not feel any different to when i was in my late teens....it is about perspective...but i think its more defined when you are younger....being 'older' is just so 'out there'....to far away to even consider, hard to imagine....i remember being 21 forever, or so it felt...once i turned 22, the years just flew by...all of a sudden, i was 30!!!..thinking, what the hell, where did that go!!!

I still can do most things I did as a teenager but maybe lift since I ruptured my disc but that can happen at any age. I still hike and backpack into the wilderness like I use to, will till I am 108+++. I remember when I was in my earlier 30's this 20 year old called me old. Later on, I was walking with another friend about 21 talking about the other guy calling me old. As we were walking I bumped into a man about in his late fifties or early sixties and he said to, excuse me young man!" I said to my friend, "see it is all perspective. "

-------------
Λοιπόν, αδελφοί και οι συμπολίτες και οι στρατιώτες, να θυμάστε αυτό ώστε μνημόσυνο σας, φήμη και ελευθερία σας θα ε

Posted By: gcle2003
Date Posted: 05-Feb-2009 at 13:42
Originally posted by Menumorut

I'm not forty yet but I discovered that you feel better if you try to be like the generations that now are kids or teens. Not because they are young but because they know how to be young. I mean the older generations, the ones who enjoyed youth in seventies, eighties or before, have had a wrong consciousness of youth, seeing it as a passing thing, while the today kids think to be young for ever.

Everybody thinks and always thought they would be young forever.
They were and are all wrong.

There are no 'old people' and 'young people' just people who are - temporarily - young and - temporarily - old. And, of course, temporarily in-between.

-------------

Posted By: Ponce de Leon
Date Posted: 05-Feb-2009 at 13:47
All this talk of being old is making ME feel old. And I am only 20 years young =0

Posted By: Parnell
Date Posted: 05-Feb-2009 at 13:49
Lol. Feels great to be 20!

-------------

Date Posted: 05-Feb-2009 at 14:00
I never know men are concerned about their age.. Ermm

-------------

Posted By: Reginmund
Date Posted: 05-Feb-2009 at 14:46
Originally posted by cahaya

Our beauty fades too. Cry

-------------

Date Posted: 05-Feb-2009 at 14:58
Originally posted by gcle2003

Everybody thinks and always thought they would be young forever.
They were and are all wrong.

There are no 'old people' and 'young people' just people who are - temporarily - young and - temporarily - old. And, of course, temporarily in-between.

If you don't believe in immortality you neither can believe in staying young forever. I agree with the second phase in the sense that spirit has no age but you can educate yourself to see yourself as a youngster.

-------------

Date Posted: 05-Feb-2009 at 16:17

.....some of the comments, and getting back to the perspective thing again, made me recall that some of the 'oldest' people i have met have been in their teens, while some of the 'youngest' have been 60 plus in years!!....

..a bit similar to fact that some of the thickest people i have met have been at university while some of the most intelligent, thoughtful, insightful individuals i have experienced have worked with me on a building site!!...of course its works vice-versa but i do just love that kind of mix of people....Clap

....i also remember going to university when i was 30 and attending at the same time as my two 18 year old nieces...you should have seen the 'you pervert' looks i got when i greeted my nieces with a hug!!!!Shocked.....perspective and context at work!!!

-------------

Date Posted: 05-Feb-2009 at 19:49
I read about a moutain village in Japan where the people eat a sticky veggie and it causes their bodies to keep producing an enzyme called hylunronic acid. From what I have read this is the enzyme which holds the moisture in our connective tissue and as we age we lose the ability to produce it. The article talked about people in their 80's and 90's still working on their farms and riding motor bikes around like a teenager. You can buy hyluronic acid now at any health food store in pill form. It is funny how these people work out in the sun and yet have smooth faces, not wrinkled. In comparison 40 is still young but it might be a good time to start taking this enzyme.

-------------

Date Posted: 05-Feb-2009 at 20:26

I read about a moutain village in Japan where the people eat a sticky veggie and it causes their bodies to keep producing an enzyme called hylunronic acid. It is funny how these people work out in the sun and yet have smooth faces, not wrinkled. In comparison 40 is still young but it might be a good time to start taking this enzyme.

...LOLLOL...However, i would not take anything that suggests that it could make someone 'younger'...its a bit too vain for me.....Big smile.....at this stage in life, i am not wearing too badly as it happens, i think mainly because i spent about the first 10 or 12 years working outside doing physical labour in all weathers and that sort of kept me fit (ish)..its put me in good stead for the remaining years....the dodgy leg now means i cannot do any kind of strenuous physical exercise, so i think perhaps, my 40's is maybe where everything starts getting droopy, worn, and incoherant....Cry...

....i am losing hair slowly..but i have always had a high hairline anyway so it kinda looks like i had receding hair even in my teens..so now, the rest of body looks set to finally caught up!!.....nevertheless, my son keeps me active and i have grown fond of Pingu the Penguin DVD's so things are not that bad.......!!!

..all the best....AoO...

-------------

Posted By: gcle2003
Date Posted: 05-Feb-2009 at 21:22
Originally posted by Reginmund

Our beauty fades too. Cry

Speak for yourself.

-------------

Posted By: Spartakus
Date Posted: 05-Feb-2009 at 22:24
I am 21 . Sometimes i feel so suppressed and old, although i have not lived anything yet. Other times i feel too young to actually live anything. Shit, i am screwed. 

-------------
"There are worse crimes than burning books. One of them is not reading them. "
--- Joseph Alexandrovitch Brodsky, 1991, Russian-American poet, b. St. Petersburg and exiled 1972 (1940-1996)

Date Posted: 05-Feb-2009 at 23:54
Wow Sparty...very deep man....very deeeeeep

Posted By: Jallaludin Akbar
Date Posted: 06-Feb-2009 at 00:13
hmmm all this talk of old age makes me feel that lifes too short to waste. Yep im only 15 and i also dream of staying young forever..but as far as we know the fountain of youth still hasn't been discovered yet.

-------------
"First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win."
-Mahatma Gandhi

Posted By: Omar al Hashim
Date Posted: 06-Feb-2009 at 00:29
Originally posted by Spartakus

I am 21 . Sometimes i feel so suppressed and old, although i have not lived anything yet. Other times i feel too young to actually live anything. Shit, i am screwed. 

Hey I often feel the same way

-------------

Posted By: xristar
Date Posted: 06-Feb-2009 at 00:49

Man, you know, you're not alone. CryWinkLOL

-------------

Defeat allows no explanation
Victory needs none.
It insults the dead when you treat life carelessly.

Date Posted: 06-Feb-2009 at 00:51

...take heart my friend...behind my light-hearted postings there is i suppose, the message that getting older is not perhaps what you think it will be, trust me, its never too late for positive things in life to happen, you will preserve a youthful outlook and as long as that remains, any probs you experience now will be dealt with.....its not such a bad thing...

....i can relate to what you have said....i experienced many difficulties when i was younger, ...the pressure of 'doing' something or being 'someone'.....but now, i can understand those times much better but i have not lost that essential feeling of youthfulness....yeah, the body declines slightly, but its manageable........the main difference for me between being young and old, is that getting older means that you get to know yourself better as the time passes, but that is a good thing.....a lot of the pressures of being young is the fact that you have often not had that many years to fathom out just exactly who you are yet and gain many of the fresh perspectives that come with age.......but it comes, it will.... and hell, there is plenty of time and years ahead of you, and my recollections show that being older does not necessarily mean that you have look back with regret or that your inner self changes so drastically that you somehow 'lose' the greater part of the youth you were.....

....there is also no need to 'rush' getting older either, responsibility is in my opinion one of the hardest aspects of life to take on board, and it generally comes with life experience, afterall, being a tad irresponsible when your younger is a fine way to learn about being responsible, its a learning curve, a process that will take its course, and in the meantime, hang in there, try hard to let things go, be yourself and try not let anybody take that away from you or make you be anything you do not want to be.....it does all click eventually...

...apologies if this reads like a lecture, because, hand on my heart, its not....

..take care and all the best....AoO....

-------------

Date Posted: 06-Feb-2009 at 01:08
Whatever dude, forty! Thats positivly ancient.LOL

-------------

Posted By: Cezar
Date Posted: 06-Feb-2009 at 06:25

..so, any forty-something’s here have any stories, revelations or experiences to tell???

I've only reached 40 three weeks ago. I'm too young to know something about it.

Posted By: edgewaters
Date Posted: 06-Feb-2009 at 06:50

I'm 36 and dreading 40. There's alot of things I've been putting off, telling myself I can worry about them when I hit that magical number. Now that it's coming on fast, I regret doing that.

I had a really uplifting moment the other day though ... a young girl at the corner store actually carded me when I was buying cigarrettes! It was awesome.

Date Posted: 06-Feb-2009 at 09:50
Originally posted by gcle2003

Speak for yourself.

Well you have to have some to begin with. Tongue

-------------

Posted By: Spartakus
Date Posted: 06-Feb-2009 at 11:56

...take heart my friend...behind my light-hearted postings there is i suppose, the message that getting older is not perhaps what you think it will be, trust me, its never too late for positive things in life to happen, you will preserve a youthful outlook and as long as that remains, any probs you experience now will be dealt with.....its not such a bad thing...

....i can relate to what you have said....i experienced many difficulties when i was younger, ...the pressure of 'doing' something or being 'someone'.....but now, i can understand those times much better but i have not lost that essential feeling of youthfulness....yeah, the body declines slightly, but its manageable........the main difference for me between being young and old, is that getting older means that you get to know yourself better as the time passes, but that is a good thing.....a lot of the pressures of being young is the fact that you have often not had that many years to fathom out just exactly who you are yet and gain many of the fresh perspectives that come with age.......but it comes, it will.... and hell, there is plenty of time and years ahead of you, and my recollections show that being older does not necessarily mean that you have look back with regret or that your inner self changes so drastically that you somehow 'lose' the greater part of the youth you were.....

....there is also no need to 'rush' getting older either, responsibility is in my opinion one of the hardest aspects of life to take on board, and it generally comes with life experience, afterall, being a tad irresponsible when your younger is a fine way to learn about being responsible, its a learning curve, a process that will take its course, and in the meantime, hang in there, try hard to let things go, be yourself and try not let anybody take that away from you or make you be anything you do not want to be.....it does all click eventually...

...apologies if this reads like a lecture, because, hand on my heart, its not....

..take care and all the best....AoO....

Thanks mate. Your response (as that of the others of course Tongue) is fully appreciated. I feel that i am not doing what i really want in the past few months. I am not living as i want. I do not know why but i hope that during  the next semester things will change.

-------------
"There are worse crimes than burning books. One of them is not reading them. "
--- Joseph Alexandrovitch Brodsky, 1991, Russian-American poet, b. St. Petersburg and exiled 1972 (1940-1996)

Date Posted: 07-Feb-2009 at 12:59
The last thing a man should be worried about themselves are.. age..
Be happy.. and smile.. guys dont have to worry about menopause...

-------------

Posted By: Northman
Date Posted: 07-Feb-2009 at 13:48
Hmmm - kids...

Don't get worried about age untill you have reached an age, worth to worry about LOL

-------------

Date Posted: 07-Feb-2009 at 14:32
Originally posted by Northman

Hmmm - kids...

Don't get worried about age untill you have reached an age, worth to worry about LOL

Agree Smile

-------------

Date Posted: 07-Feb-2009 at 14:59

The last thing a man should be worried about themselves are.. age..
Be happy.. and smile.. guys dont have to worry about menopause...

Some become impotent. That's kind of a menopause as you can't make children that way.

-------------

Date Posted: 07-Feb-2009 at 17:48
Originally posted by Northman

Hmmm - kids...

One can be any age he/she wants. But if people know you are 60 and you bevahe like a 17, they may judge you. I want say that people want to become old to not look freak.

-------------

Date Posted: 07-Feb-2009 at 20:22
Originally posted by Sparten

Whatever dude, forty! Thats positivly ancient.LOL

Not if you are an oak tree or giant red wood-

-------------

Date Posted: 07-Feb-2009 at 20:51
I am sorry to say this eagle...but you are not a tree!

Posted By: Cezar
Date Posted: 26-Feb-2009 at 22:53
This is the thread I post this since I couldn't find the "fathers" thread!!!
I'm forty (40) and I have a daughter! My first kid and she's a beauty*!
Aging can be soooo great!

*to be honest, to me she looks more like a beefsteak, but since it's one I've been at least part in making it....

Print Page | Close Window

Bulletin Board Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 9.56a - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2009 Web Wiz - http://www.webwizguide.com