Print Page | Close Window

Champions League 2007/08

Printed From: History Community ~ All Empires
Category: All Empires Community
Forum Name: Sports and Sports History
Forum Discription: Talk about your favorite team or the history of your favorite sport …
URL: http://www.allempires.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=21486
Printed Date: 23-Apr-2024 at 07:57
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 9.56a - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Champions League 2007/08
Posted By: ulrich von hutten
Subject: Champions League 2007/08
Date Posted: 30-Aug-2007 at 13:20
Here the results of today's drawing:

Gruppe A

FC Liverpool  
FC Porto  
Olympique Marseille  
Besiktas Istanbul  

Gruppe B

FC Chelsea  
FC Valencia  
FC Schalke 04  
Rosenborg Trondheim  

Gruppe C

Real Madrid  
Werder Bremen  
Lazio Rom  
Olympiakos Piräus  

Gruppe D

AC Mailand  
Benfica Lissabon  
Celtic Glasgow  
Schachtjor Donetzk  

Gruppe E

FC Barcelona  
Olympique Lyon  
VfB Stuttgart  
Glasgow Rangers  

Gruppe F

ManU  
AS Rom  
Sporting Lissabon  
Dynamo Kiew  

Gruppe G

Inter Mailand  
PSV Eindhoven  
ZSAK Moskau  
Fenerbahce Istanbul  

Gruppe H

FC Arsenal  
FC Sevilla / AEK Athen  
Steaua Bukarest  
Slavia Prag

-------------

http://imageshack.us">

Replies:
Posted By: Temujin
Date Posted: 30-Aug-2007 at 14:01
Originally posted by ulrich von hutten

Gruppe E

FC Barcelona  
Olympique Lyon  
VfB Stuttgart  
Glasgow Rangers  

doesn't sound too bad! Smile i think even Bremen now has a chance.

-------------

Posted By: Perun
Date Posted: 30-Aug-2007 at 14:20

FC Chelsea  
FC Valencia  
FC Schalke 04  
Rosenborg Trondheim  

To me this looks like the toughest group... Chelsea had a strong start (they are not playing great, but are winning). Valencia and Schalke 04 should be struggling for their place in the next round too. Rosenborg is a hard-to-beat team, especially when playing at home. They could easily ruin someones plans...

-------------
Gromovnik

Posted By: Majkes
Date Posted: 30-Aug-2007 at 14:43
Originally posted by Temujin

Gruppe E

FC Barcelona  
Olympique Lyon  
VfB Stuttgart  
Glasgow Rangers  

doesn't sound too bad! Smile i think even Bremen now has a chance.

Wouldn't be so optimistic. In my opinion it is the toughest group.

Posted By: Patch
Date Posted: 30-Aug-2007 at 15:20

Gruppe H

FC Arsenal  
FC Sevilla / AEK Athen  
Steaua Bukarest  
Slavia

Looks like an OK group..

Posted By: Guests
Date Posted: 30-Aug-2007 at 20:11

...i am quite happy with Chelsea's group, Liverpool's draw looks a bit tricky although Rangers might have a hard time battling it out in their group....overall?..looks like another interesting Champions League contest!!!...can't wait...Clap

-------------

Posted By: The Hidden Face
Date Posted: 31-Aug-2007 at 02:21
The results look good for the Turkish teams too, especially for Fenerbahce -powerful enough to beat both PSV and CSKA-.

Date Posted: 31-Aug-2007 at 13:21
Originally posted by Majkes

Wouldn't be so optimistic. In my opinion it is the toughest group.

could be better yes, but could be worse. i would also say that the Schalke group is the hardest by far.

-------------

Posted By: Caoimhe
Date Posted: 31-Aug-2007 at 18:28
Looks good should be another great season. The games I'm most looking forward to are Celtic v AC Milan, Real v Lazio and Chelsea v Valencia.

-------------
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.

Posted By: Ovidius
Date Posted: 02-Sep-2007 at 13:33
indeed looks good. I think Chelsea will have a battle on their hands, as will Man U, those two groups will have the biggest battles.

I think Liverpool will be fine to be honest.

Arsenal might have trouble though. Sevilla are pretty good and Steaua are really on form. Once Badea is back and Iacob is playing, Nicolita is gonna be a star, should see some good football from them this year. Might be tough for an under strength Arsenal...

Posted By: King Kang of Mu
Date Posted: 04-Sep-2007 at 12:01
Group A - Porto and Marseillie will fight for the second place.  Liverpool wins
Group B - Valencia and Schalke will challenge weakened Chelsea.  Dog Fight.
Group C - Robinho vs Diego, Santos reunion. Both advances.
Group D - AC Milan and Benfica.  Celtic? Plz, can't even beat MLS teams.
Group E - Barca, Lyon.  Stuttgart has a puncher's shot against Lyon
Group F - Man U, Roma.  Roma could be a dark horse in later rounds.
Group G - All four teams got a shot. CSKA Moskow, Dark Horse of the Year.
 Group H - Arsenal, Sevilla. Either one CAN end up in final four if not both.

Top 5

1. Barcelona - The team to beat, least on paper.   Chemistry?
2. Liverpool - Better Champs League Team than EPL team.
                     Can win both this year.
3. AC Milan - Overachieved last season, can overachieve again?
4. Real Madrid - Most impressive in early La Liga.  No more Beckham!
5. Chelsea - Losing Robben hurts, Can score when needed?

-------------
http://www.allempires.net/forum/forums.html

Posted By: Kaysaar
Date Posted: 04-Sep-2007 at 21:00
Originally posted by King Kang of Mu

1. Barcelona - The team to beat, least on paper.   Chemistry?

Eto'o just went down for at least two months following thigh surgery. This should help solve some of the chemistry problems early on, since he was cited as a big catalyst for the dissent in the locker room last year. I think that Barca's biggest problem will be their motivation. They're just about the best team when they play with desire. However, when they feel like they ought to win the game they play real lethargic and lackadaisically.

Date Posted: 05-Sep-2007 at 09:29
^^^ I agree.  Timely injuries can actually help this team.  Even last season, Eto'o and Messi's injuries didn't really hurt them since they were still leading La Liga before both came back.  Their new 'Fantastic Four' of Eto'o, Henry, Messi, Ronaldinho sounds great but it also remind me of last World Cup's Brazilian 'Fantastic Four' of Ronaldo, Adriano, Ronaldinho and Kaka.  When you have four players who should be the biggest star on any other team, how many of them are willing to play the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th fiddle to the others?  Plus, Deco should be starting for this team no matter which 3 out of 4 plays in front of him.  They couldn't score against Racing in the opening game of La Liga.  Even against Bilbao, three goals came from a Free kick, Penalty, and the 3rd wasn't even a goal(1966 Eng vs W.Ger reverse flashback) though it was a great shot from Ya Ya Toure.  Is that how the 'Fantastic  Four' should be producing goals?  It's more like how Chesea produces goals, dead ball plays and long bombs.  I was really impressed though by Abidal.  What an improvement from Van Bronckhost.  New defender Gabi Milito should be a big help too.  One player they can not afford to have a long term injury is Pujol who is out for an injury right now.  They do have all the tools to win and win devastatingly beautiful against anybody.  But unfortunately sometimes you gotta win ugly too in Champs League. 

-------------

Posted By: Dolphin
Date Posted: 05-Sep-2007 at 10:03
I think Puyol is heavily over-rated - he has been caught out for pace this last few seasons, and he tends to give away a lot of free kicks. he is good enough in the air and makes a saving tackle look spectacular, so maybe that why he's rated so highly...

-------------

Date Posted: 05-Sep-2007 at 11:05
But Pujol's still much batter than Oleguer who is starting in his place right now.  Plus he is a Catalan through and through.  Barca doesnt' have the best defense per se but for what it is Pujol is the backbone.  

-------------

Date Posted: 18-Sep-2007 at 12:52
The first matchday will start to night and will be continued tomorrow...

18.09.2007 20.45 Olympique Marseille Besiktas Istanbul -:-
18.09.2007 20.45 FC Porto FC Liverpool -:-
18.09.2007 20.45 Schalke 04 FC Valencia -:-
18.09.2007 20.45 FC Chelsea Rosenborg Trondheim -:-
18.09.2007 20.45 Real Madrid Werder Bremen -:-
18.09.2007 20.45 Olympiakos Piräus Lazio Rom -:-
18.09.2007 20.45 AC Mailand Benfica Lissabon -:-
18.09.2007 20.45 Schachtjor Donezk Celtic Glasgow -:-
19.09.2007 20.45 Glasgow Rangers VfB Stuttgart -:-
19.09.2007 20.45 FC Barcelona Olympique Lyon -:-
19.09.2007 20.45 AS Rom Dynamo Kiew -:-
19.09.2007 20.45 Sporting Lissabon Manchester United -:-
19.09.2007 20.45 PSV Eindhoven ZSKA Moskau -:-
19.09.2007 20.45 Fenerbahce Istanbul Inter Mailand -:-
19.09.2007 20.45 Arsenal London FC Sevilla -:-
19.09.2007 20.45 Slavia Prag Steaua Bukarest -:-

-------------

Date Posted: 19-Sep-2007 at 10:56
Both Liverpool and Chelsea struggled against lesser teams.  Sure, Chelsea didn't have Drogba and Lampard but that's no excuse against Rosenberg.  They still have most of their players each costing more than entire roster of Rosenberg.  Though I have to say getting a crucial goal out of Shevchenko is a great news for them.  Losing Robben really hurts Chelsea.  Robben widens the defense better than anybody they have right now.  Their best ball handler right now is Shawn Wright-Phillips but would they trust him enough?  Ashley Cole and Belletti on any other system would provide more than adequate wing attack but they are held back too much in current system.  Kalou and Malouda can go out on the wings but they are more comfortable in the box and central attack.  When Drogba is healthy, they often put Shevchenko out on the wings but that is not his natural position and he gets lost out there.  It is not just coincident that he scored playing in the box without Drogba.  Yes, you can use both in the box with Sheva playing little behind Drogba but then you really need a true winger like Robben.  Daniel Alves would have helped this team a lot.

Liverpool was dominated by Porto especially in the first half.  I never seen Hyypia looking that bad.  The great ball winning central midfielders gave up possessions and back peddling most of first half.  They actually looked better when they lost a man and had to sit back and play counter attack.  But Porto is no Rosenberg and Liverpool is still in much better shape than Chelsea.

My dream match of Robinho vs Diego didn't get realized until 69th min when Robinho got subbed in.  Diego played great but they really miss Klose.  You can't compare Sanogo and Rosenberg to Klose.  They really miss Frings and Wome too.  What happened to Borowski?  Robinho is struggling a bit under new regime but hardly noticeable because the team is doing so great.  Sneijder gets Madrid going now and Raul is looking like he's been born again.  I like that Drenthe kid too, remind me of young Seedorf with that dreads.  With 8 new signings, Real Madrid looks deeper than anybody front to back, even goalie.  You need that to be successful in both La Liga and Champs League.

Another notable game is Shaktar schooling Celtic.  Celtic looked bad against MLS players this summer and now I'm thinking that only international competition they can beat is probably Beckham's L.A. Galaxy.
I feel bad for Venegoor of Hasselink.  He should stayed with PSV.

Two more dream match ups today, Barca vs Lyon and  Arsenal vs Seville.   Eto'o's still out but Messi 's back.   Still that's no excuse for their early La Liga struggles.  How can you struggle to score with Henry and Ronaldinho?  Now they are talking trading Deco for cash and Xavi Alonso or Sissoko.  I like both but letting Deco go would a huge mistake.  But Lyon have problems of their own.  Lyon has been one of the most consistent Champs League team in last 4-5 years, but how will they bounce back from losing Houllier after a locker room melt down.  Lyon has been amazingly successful losing their star players like Essien, Malouda, Abidal year after year but it might catch up with them finally.

Arsenal vs Seville could turn out to be the best match up in the first round of the group stage.  I remember when Arsenal lost Viera and everybody expected them to drop off badly which they did in EPL but they went to Champs League final that year with 10 game shotout streak and almost beat Barca.  They lost Henry and Ashley Cole but they are at the top of
early EPL this year.  Guys like Fabregas, Hleb, Flamini, Eboue, Clichy have been great for them.  Even Losing Sol Campbell and Sendros being hurt, Gilberto Silva drops back on the central defense and  performing great.  Neither  Adebayor and  Van Persie are at the same level of Henry but  Wenger always finds a way to work with what he has.  I don't blame him for turning down Adriano offer.

Seville is not as glamorous as Real, Barca  even Valencia or Zaragosa but all they did was winning back to back UEFA Cup, Copa del Ray and chased La Liga until the very last game last year.  Kanoute is one of the best target man in the world right now, perhaps not as recognized as Van Nistelrooy, Henry, Eto'o or Drogba but just as effective.  Daniel Alves is best attacking right back since Cafu.  Renato, Navas, Poulsen and little Adriano provides great midfield support and don't forget Kanoute's partner Fabiano.

The upset of the week could be Fenerbahce vs Inter Milan.  Viera, Chivu, Materazzi, Samuel are injured, and Burdisso, Maicon, Cordoba are serving Champs League suspensions after the brawl with Villareal last season.  Fenerbahce is struggling a little in the early Turkish league but they got new coach, some geezer named Zico and they have players like Appiah, Kezman, Alex de Sousa, Deivid, Lugano, Oh, yeah and some other geezer named Roberto Carlos.  All those guys are good enough play for bigger clubs like Inter.

Four more hours to kickoff.  Good luck everybody and play beautiful if allowed.

-------------

Date Posted: 19-Sep-2007 at 15:52
Fenerbahce is leading Inter 1:0 at half time.  Great cross from Alex de Sousa to Deivid running in, Deivid connects Zidane like volley shot.  Did I call it?  It's frightening to be this good.

Another English team(Man Utd) struggles against another Portuguese team(Sporting Lisbon).  I thought matches like this was why Man Utd went out and got Nani and Anderson.  Woo, Rooney's back.  They need three lung Ji Sung in the middle.

Fabregas scores on deflection.  If any team can score on Arsenal rallying from behind, it would be Seville.  

-------------

Date Posted: 19-Sep-2007 at 17:28
Messi and Henry scores for Barca.  Turning point for them?

C. Ronaldo delivers for Man Utd.   Sporting Lisbon deserved an upset.

Deivid's goal prevails for Fenerbahce, should've been 3-0.  Inter looked worse than I expected.

Van Persie and da Silva add more for Arsenal, Sevilla tried to come back by opening up but allowed more counter.

Rangers beat Stuttgart?  I guess not every Scottish teams are terrible.

CSKA  Moscow put up a good fight against PSV, Vagner Love scored a89th min goal.

-------------

Date Posted: 19-Sep-2007 at 19:35
Great cross from Alex de Sousa to Deivid running in, Deivid connects Zidane like volley shot.  Did I call it?  It's frightening to be this good.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bb17N9gmnCE - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bb17N9gmnCE

Thumbs%20Up

Fenerbahce was just what I expected. And Inter was really bad also. The score should have been at least 3-0 indeed. But anyway Fenerbahce played a dominant game so that's alright. CSKA also produced a very strong game. Group G is going to be fun to watch. Believe me.

I haven't watched the rest of the games yet.

King how did you find Roberto Carlos today? He was really good if you ask me.

Date Posted: 20-Sep-2007 at 12:42

Rangers beat Stuttgart?  I guess not every Scottish teams are terrible.

Stuttgart greatly annoyed me yesterday, they had all the chances to win but the defense gave it all away... Angry

-------------

Date Posted: 21-Sep-2007 at 10:23
Originally posted by The Hidden Face

King how did you find Roberto Carlos today? He was really good if you ask me.
He wasn't really challenged much defensively out on the wings by  Inter.  But that itself deserves more than a passing grade.  Fenerbahce's defense as whole was amazing.  Not only they took away possessions from Inter but limited them to 6 unthreatening shots.  Even if you excuse Inter for having depleted defense, why couldn't they score on Fener?  But I think the backbone of Fener's defense is Lugano.  I remember this guy from Sao Paulo days.  They won Copa Libertadore and went on to beat Liverpool in Intercontinental Cup in 2005.  I think they shotout Liverpool.

As I've mentioned in another thread Roberto Carlos is no longer world class 'on the ball' defender but he still has his speed and he covers more ground than anybody.  I would not want see him against likes of Messi or Eto'o in one on one situations anymore(that's why he's not with Real anymore) but if you pass by other defenders, you can count on Roberto Carlos to chase you down for a tackle or kick it out of bounds, which is more than good enough.  And it is always a great luxury to have a guy who can put some fear on you from 35m plus in a dead ball situation.

I remember some English critic saying something about him after WC 2006 meltdown.  He said something like if you push up a Brazilian wingback once a game you will succeed every time, if you push up five times in a game you will succeed once still, but if you push him up 20 times a game you will never succeed.  I think there is some truth in that.

Overall I'm happy to see him in Fenerbahce.  He's playing for another Brazilian legend, Zico and 7(?) other Brazilians on that roster.  Some superstars end up in places like MLS or Qatar when they get old.  He's still playing  very competitive football in Samba friendly environment.  It's like a home away from home for him.  Enjoy while you can the world may never see another player quite like him again.

-------------

Date Posted: 02-Oct-2007 at 18:16
Match day!

Kick off in two hours.

Looking at the schedule, most intriguing match ups are Roma at Man Utd and Fenerbahce at CSKA Moskow and maybe Barca at Stuttgart somewhat.

Man Utd pounded Roma 7:1 in quarterfinal last season but I don't thinks it will be that easy this time.  First, Man Utd is not in the middle of their of their great EPL championship run like last season.  It's still early and they are still trying to put their squad together from their early injuries and struggles.  To be honest I don't think Tevez and Nani necessarily made their offense better.  And I haven't even seen much of Anderson.  Both Rooney and C. Ronaldo are trying to groove into their top shape. 

Another factor is Roma too.  They are playing one of most beautiful game in entire Europe right now.  Last three games in Serie A they played top 3 teams in their league in span of 6 days.  They dominated both Juventus and Fiorentina but allowed the tying goals in last minutes in both games.  Against Inter Milan, Guily got kick out early for handling the ball in the box, but their attack didn't suffer much with a man down.  They went for the win and eventually stretched out too thin to allow more goals.  So the score undercuts the actual game little bit.  It's hard to win in Old Trafford, but Roma will score on anybody anywhere but will they able to defend?  I'm predicting 2:2 tie again.

I've picked both Fenerbahce and CSKA Moskow as the dark horses of the year.  Both satisfied me with win against Inter and a tough battle against PSV.  So this is the battle of the dark horses.  Of course Fenerbahce is more established club all around and less of a dark horse compare to CSKA.  But this game in Moskow.  Both are loaded with Brazilian influence, so this game could turn out to be the most entertaining game to watch.  I will be following Deivid vs Vagner Love as the strikers for each teams and Roberto Carlos vs Vagner Love  as  Defense vs  Offense match up.

Barca vs Stuttgart is intriguing because, well Barca's game is always intriguing and also I want to see if Stuttgart can bounce back from their Bundesliga struggle and also the loss the Rangers.  Fortunately the game is in Germany and I haven't given up on this team yet.  There are just way too much talents on this to struggle this bad.  Win or loss a great showing against a great team like Barca can be the turning point of still early season.  Then again, Barca is a lot to handle and it could turn out really ugly for them.

Robinho's out with his ankle injury  for Wednesday.  So I don't know, that takes some steam out of the whole day for me.

Enjoy the match day, everybody!

-------------

Date Posted: 02-Oct-2007 at 18:23
King Fener & CSKA started 45 minutes ago - You know the match is in Russia and the matches in Russia starts 3 hours earlier.

The current score: Fener 1 (Alex)  CSKA 0

Date Posted: 02-Oct-2007 at 19:20
Final score: CSKA      2
                   Fener     2

Fener took one point from Moscow. Not bad at all.

I am looking forward to King's Match analyses. Smile

Date Posted: 02-Oct-2007 at 19:40
Oh, sh#t, I didn't think about the time differece in Russia.  I'm gonna have wait until Thursday or Friday to watch the tape delay on Setanta.  Just looking at the game summery in ESPN Soccernet, both Vagner and Deivid scored, though Vagner did on penalty.  Deivid scored the 84th min tying goal?  What a clutch player.  I can't wait to see it.

What do you think about Deivid, Hidden Face? 

-------------

Date Posted: 02-Oct-2007 at 21:28
It doesn't look like Roma could find the back of the net if their lives depended on it...

EDIT -

Barça 2-1 over Stuttgart! Once again, Messi scores!

Manchester United wins 1-0 over AS Roma as Rooney scores on his first goal of the season.

Date Posted: 02-Oct-2007 at 21:52

What do you think about Deivid, Hidden Face? 

Deivid is amazing. It's also the opportunity for Deivid to show himself to Europe one more time and he has used this chance well so far. Obviously Deivid has skills.

Posted By: Lmprs
Date Posted: 03-Oct-2007 at 17:20
Deivid sucked big time in his first year at Fenerbahce.

Date Posted: 03-Oct-2007 at 19:39
Oh, come on Feaner, it's not that easy adjusting to new club, not to mention new country.  His tying goal was amazing.  It's so hard for a goalie to stop a shot that drops so hard under his armpit.  It's almost easier to make a diving save for a straight shot.  Zidane, Henry, Figo used be the masters at those hard top spin shots that drops hard 1-5m in front of the goalie.  A winning goal and a tying goal in first two Champs League games.  Not bad, not bad at all.

I still haven't seen the whole game yet but it looks like Alex also played another superb game, though his goal came from a defensive blunder by CSKA.  But then again CSKA's goals also came from a defensive mistake and a penalty Fenerbahce gave away.  So I would say Fener deserved the win but, like Hidden Face said, tie on the road is not bad at all.

Looking at the game summery, Fener started 6 defenders, going with 6-2-2 foemation, Hidden Face?  That makes complete sense regarding to our conversation on Roberto Carlos.  Puting more defenders behind him allows him to be a bigger part of their offense, relieving him from some of his defensive duties.  It's lot to ask for an aging wingback to be a major part of the offense and still expect him to play superb defense.  Now he's more like a Libero-Winger.  That helps out Alex a lot too.  Zico know Roberto's game well and this move utilizes the best part of his game.  I wish Real Madrid and Brazilian national team thought about that.  Well done.

I didn't see Appiah's name on the game log, is he hurt, Hidden Face?   He's one of my favorite player.   I've always considered him as  less glorified Seedorf type.  

Kezman hasn't scored in Champs League yet but I expect him to contribute soon or later.  Don't forget he was Dutch league top scorer with PSV though he has struggled with Chelsea and Atletico Madrid.   A Crespo or Tevez type player.  Short but deceivingly strong, he can take out a defender with his feet or shoulders. 

-------------

Date Posted: 03-Oct-2007 at 20:40
I'm watching Celtic vs Milan. first half has ended. That was one of the most boring 45 minutes in my lifeDead. I was more bored only when wathcing "Le divorce" directed by unfamous James ivory who sill owns me 20 zloty that I spent on this crapDead. By the way I warn You not to watch it.

Date Posted: 03-Oct-2007 at 20:53
Whoopsie daisy, I was wrong on Man Utd vs Roma, wasn't I?  Especially Roma being able to score on anybody anywhere.  Well, that's why they play the game and if I was right all the time, I'd be getting paid for it.Big%20smile  What surprised me the most was how conservatively Roma played especially in the first half.  But these sort of thing happen more often in away games even more so in the group stage.  I have to give Man Utd credit for imposing their physical game to Roma.  Three yellow cards for Man Utd at home in the first half alone tells the story.  Rooney's winning goal was amazing.  Quick turn around one timer to the post from inside part of his right foot.  It's so difficult not to put inside spin on that shot which would have drifted away from the goal.  The boy just plays his heart out every time I see him play, maybe little too much sometimes.  I rarely see a star attacker helps out midfield and defense  as much as he does.   With guys like Roy Keane gone, Man Utd use that attitude.  But that is one of the major reason why he's injured so often.   He can't be much help for other players if he's sitting on the bench for Man Utd or England.  Some body tell him to take a chill pill once in a while.  He's really special though.

On Barca vs Stuttgart, I thought Stuttgart played rather well with given pressures and circumstances.  Barca took it hard to them at first but Stuttgart was able to weather the storm and create chances for themselves towards the end of first half.  Mario Gomez missed so many good chances including a header that rung the crossbar.  Cacau was whipping some dangerous crosses into the box too.  Once they allowed two goals in the second half, they looked depleted.  Both goals for Barca was kinda fluky.  Especially the first one that Puyol scored.  Mario Gomez got in the way of his goalie handling the ball.  You gotta give him some credit for whenever a tall striker try to help out the central defenders in a dead ball situation but they often make mistakes doing so because it's not why they are getting paid for.   Ronaldinho headed down the corner kick hard jumping backwards(which is really difficult to do btw) but it went right to the goalie and the goalie should be able to handle it comfortably if Gomez didn't get on his way.  The ball was loose and Puyol cherry picks.  Even second goal was similar in lesser degree.  Sometimes you do everything right and still lose.  That's football for you.

One thing I gotta question though is why didn't start Magnin.  With Hitzlberger out, I thought they needed Magnin even more.  Not only he can defend on the left wing, he's big enough to help out the central defense.  He's also skilled enough to bring out the ball from the backfield.  I know this about him because I hated him in the game against South Korea in last World Cup.AngryTongue  But then again he would have been matched against Messi all day long and he might be little too slow to stop Messi.  But then again, who is good enough to stop Messi these days?

I thought Dinho played rather well.  Yeah, he looked little lethargic at times again but he didn't hurt the team by no means and didn't seem to hurt the chemistry, even dangerous a couple of times.  Henry missed many good chances but he made the last pass to Messi's goal.  Neither Dinho or Henry has the burden of carrying a team on their shoulders anymore.  If they can just get over with their egos a little, I will take 70-80% of them any day.

-------------

Date Posted: 03-Oct-2007 at 21:54

On Barca vs Stuttgart, I thought Stuttgart played rather well with given pressures and circumstances.  Barca took it hard to them at first but Stuttgart was able to weather the storm and create chances for themselves towards the end of first half.  Mario Gomez missed so many good chances including a header that rung the crossbar.  Cacau was whipping some dangerous crosses into the box too.  Once they allowed two goals in the second half, they looked depleted.  Both goals for Barca was kinda fluky.  Especially the first one that Puyol scored.  Mario Gomez got in the way of his goalie handling the ball.  You gotta give him some credit for whenever a tall striker try to help out the central defenders in a dead ball situation but they often make mistakes doing so because it's not why they are getting paid for.   Ronaldinho headed down the corner kick hard jumping backwards(which is really difficult to do btw) but it went right to the goalie and the goalie should be able to handle it comfortably if Gomez didn't get on his way.  The ball was loose and Puyol cherry picks.  Even second goal was similar in lesser degree.  Sometimes you do everything right and still lose.  That's football for you.

One thing I gotta question though is why didn't start Magnin.  With Hitzlberger out, I thought they needed Magnin even more.  Not only he can defend on the left wing, he's big enough to help out the central defense.  He's also skilled enough to bring out the ball from the backfield.  I know this about him because I hated him in the game against South Korea in last World Cup.AngryTongue  But then again he would have been matched against Messi all day long and he might be little too slow to stop Messi.  But then again, who is good enough to stop Messi these days?

I thought Dinho played rather well.  Yeah, he looked little lethargic at times again but he didn't hurt the team by no means and didn't seem to hurt the chemistry, even dangerous a couple of times.  Henry missed many good chances but he made the last pass to Messi's goal.  Neither Dinho or Henry has the burden of carrying a team on their shoulders anymore.  If they can just get over with their egos a little, I will take 70-80% of them any day.

i agree, Stuttgart did well, they are really unlcuky these days. i also wondered myself all along why i never see magnin. i also don't liek him but admittedly he is good. eitehr he is insured or i don't know. Stuttgart these days is weird anyways. suddenly even our goalie performs well. LOL

-------------

Date Posted: 03-Oct-2007 at 22:12

i agree, Stuttgart did well, they are really unlcuky these days. i also wondered myself all along why i never see magnin. i also don't liek him but admittedly he is good. eitehr he is insured or i don't know. Stuttgart these days is weird anyways. suddenly even our goalie performs well. LOL

Seems to me that Your keeper was rather por and valdez had few outstanding saves.

Date Posted: 03-Oct-2007 at 22:23

Seems to me that Your keeper was rather por and valdez had few outstanding saves.

The Spanish newspapers were talking about how Rijkaard was praising Valdez's efforts, and how well Messi and Henry compliment each other on the field.

Date Posted: 03-Oct-2007 at 22:29
All the matches are over now for Wednesday.  Wow, what a crazy day.  So many upsets!  I'm so glad I didn't predict any games.  I would've lost all my credibility today for sure. 

Marseilie wins in Anfield.  I wish I can party with Cisse tonight.

Celtic over AC Milan?  What up with these Scottish teams?  They must've been watching 'Braveheart' over and over all week. AC Milan overachieved last season and they are showing how much they did.

Olympiakos in Bremen?  Bremen allowed 3 goals in 15 min to end the game.  Did Rivaldo come back from AEK?

Shaktar over Benfica is surprising too.

Lazio tying Real Madrid in Rome is also a minor upset.  See what happens when Robinho gets hurt?Wink

Chelsea's win in Valencia, I wouldn't call it an upset by any means but considering what they've been going through I'm sure they are relieved.  They started Makalele, Essien, Mikel and Malouda in the middle with Shevchenko sitting down.   With that lineup Ashley Cole is more free to push up more and what do you know, he scored. 

All and all, upsets are good for game in general, making it more competitive and exciting for coming matches.  

Well done for the underdogs!Clap  

-------------

Date Posted: 03-Oct-2007 at 23:04

..yeah, good victory for Chelsea, and a away win at that against a very good team, in all fairness, i did not fancy our chances tonight and would have been relieved at a draw..but the win is great!!!....need some kind of morale booster at the mo....perhaps this is a good place to start the rehabilitation of Mr Grant's status??....Shocked

-------------

Date Posted: 04-Oct-2007 at 16:42

you should see him in the Budnesliga then... LOL

overall i think the match was a rather balacned one, i didn't had the feeling the Barcelona outclassed us, we had a lot of chances to score which didn't materialized and Barcelonas goals were kind of fluke-ish as KK already mentioned. the only reason this didn't ended as a draw, or even VfB victory, was simply (bad)luck.

-------------

Date Posted: 04-Oct-2007 at 18:06
It was actually Joe Cole scored not Ashley Cole for Chelsea.  My bad.   Now I think about it I never give Joe Cole much credit.  One of the reason is that i used to see him doing so many those half @$$ step-over moves that goes no where.  He's no Zidane, Figo or even C.Ronaldo.   And I thought he's little slow out on the wings and his crosses little inaccurate.  But in this game he stepped up instead of stepping over.  His goal was an important goal too but his outlet through pass to Drogba was world class.  Very Deco-esque .  Whenever you can deliver the ball to Drogba in one on one situation with the goalie like that he will convert that more times than not.  Actually one on one with the goalie running out at you is lot harder than it looks.  The goalie is zoomed in on you and he can make himself bigger by running at you. Maybe Joe Cole can play in the center field a little, reinventing his game to the team's necessity.  We will wait and see, AoO.

Valdez did make some key saves for Barca.  So did Schafer for Stuttgart, especially when he made that diving save on his fingertips to stop Henry's hard shot to the corner.  Barca should have scored a couple of goals in first 25min but Schafer came through for them.   After they weathered Barca's storm, Stuttgart had their chances to score the first goal.  When Gomez hit the crossbar with his hard header the ball bounced right back to Gomez and he headed hard again downwards this time.  If it wasn't for Valdez's instinctive reaction, Stuttgart should have headed to the locker room 1-0 at the half time at home, which could have changed the complexity of the game in the second half.  But either way Barca is clearly the better team and, as Temujin said, they outclassed Stuttgart.  Moral victories are often overrated.  But not every wins and losses are have same effect on a team either.   For how much Stuttgart have struggled this season so far, they need to focus more on how they played the game than the score sheet.  Overall they played a competitive game against one of the best team in the world.  In the end that's all you can ask out of any team, be ready and compete.  In that aspect Stuttgart can feel little better about themselves than let's say a big win over a bad team.     

-------------

Date Posted: 04-Oct-2007 at 20:11

Oh, come on Feaner, it's not that easy adjusting to new club, not to mention new country.  His tying goal was amazing.  It's so hard for a goalie to stop a shot that drops so hard under his armpit.  It's almost easier to make a diving save for a straight shot.  Zidane, Henry, Figo used be the masters at those hard top spin shots that drops hard 1-5m in front of the goalie.  A winning goal and a tying goal in first two Champs League games.  Not bad, not bad at all.

I still haven't seen the whole game yet but it looks like Alex also played another superb game, though his goal came from a defensive blunder by CSKA.  But then again CSKA's goals also came from a defensive mistake and a penalty Fenerbahce gave away.  So I would say Fener deserved the win but, like Hidden Face said, tie on the road is not bad at all.

Looking at the game summery, Fener started 6 defenders, going with 6-2-2 foemation, Hidden Face?  That makes complete sense regarding to our conversation on Roberto Carlos.  Puting more defenders behind him allows him to be a bigger part of their offense, relieving him from some of his defensive duties.  It's lot to ask for an aging wingback to be a major part of the offense and still expect him to play superb defense.  Now he's more like a Libero-Winger.  That helps out Alex a lot too.  Zico know Roberto's game well and this move utilizes the best part of his game.  I wish Real Madrid and Brazilian national team thought about that.  Well done.

I didn't see Appiah's name on the game log, is he hurt, Hidden Face?   He's one of my favorite player.   I've always considered him as  less glorified Seedorf type.  

Kezman hasn't scored in Champs League yet but I expect him to contribute soon or later.  Don't forget he was Dutch league top scorer with PSV though he has struggled with Chelsea and Atletico Madrid.   A Crespo or Tevez type player.  Short but deceivingly strong, he can take out a defender with his feet or shoulders. 

Most people in Turkey questioned Deivid's capabilities last season. No secret here, Deivid was really bad that season as well. But since he proved himself in Brazil, no wonder why Zico insisted on Deivid.

As far as I know Fener's formation is 4-4-2 this season. Last year they played with single forward (Kezman) and were pretty crowded in midfield. According to one of the latest interviews with Zico, Fener will go on with 4-4-2 and its variations. As for the match in Moscow, after Fener scored the first goal Zico changed the formation to its defensive version. Also  last part of the game Carlos played as an offensive midfielder.

Appiah is a long story. Cry

Appiah -Fenerbahce's second expensive player right after Alex de sousa- is hurt and at the same time he seems to seek a contact with the managers of Europe's top clubs. Seemingly he wants to play in a bigger club.

Date Posted: 04-Oct-2007 at 20:28
Thanks for the reply, Hidden Face.  That's really too bad for Appiah.  Fener has really something special brewing this season and he should stay put with them to be a part of putting them in another level.  I hope it works out for the best of the club and for him. 

-------------

Date Posted: 04-Oct-2007 at 21:21
Totally agree, King. Fener has at least 3 top level players who can easily play in giant teams at the moment: Appiah, Alex de Sousa, Deivid. You know Appiah came to Fenerbahce from Juventus, which is giant also. Appiah is currently 27 and he has at least 6 more seasons in his football career. And I am pretty sure Appiah will have gone to a top club in Europe one day. But why now? While the team created such a good atmosphere, go and play your game. You can go anywhere you want the next season.

Posted By: Lmprs
Date Posted: 04-Oct-2007 at 23:03
Appiah has some sort of a problem with club management if I'm not mistaken.

Date Posted: 05-Oct-2007 at 19:33

Totally agree, King. Fener has at least 3 top level players who can easily play in giant teams at the moment: Appiah, Alex de Sousa, Deivid. You know Appiah came to Fenerbahce from Juventus, which is giant also. Appiah is currently 27 and he has at least 6 more seasons in his football career. And I am pretty sure Appiah will have gone to a top club in Europe one day. But why now? While the team created such a good atmosphere, go and play your game. You can go anywhere you want the next season.

I didn't know he was only 27.  I thought he was older because he already played for an elite club as you've mentioned.  I thought his career was on the way down but I guess not.  I do remember him from his Juventus days.  I think he was paired up with Edgar Davids and then Emerson in the central defensive midfield.  I think their game rubbed off on him a lot, though he might have even better ball controlling ability.  That's why I see him as more of a Seedorf type.  With hard workers like Nedved and Camoranesi playing in front of them, it was really hard to get anything through that midfield.   Along with Essien and Gyan, Appiah was also  major reason that Ghana made a strong showing in last World Cup.  I was laughing when people called Ghana beating U.S. was an upset.

When a player moves from an elite leagues to Turkey or Greece, they automatically see that as a demotion and wright them off by saying their careers are on a down slope.  Of course there is some truth in that, but not necessarily for every case.   Good example would be Anelka.  Sure he's no longer playing for clubs like Real Madrid,  Arsenal, PSG or even Man City  but after playing for Fenerbahce now he's back in EPL with Bolton and he's having strong start for the new season netting 5 goals in 8 games, second in the league, though Bolton is struggling.   That's it though, is it better to play for a good team in Turkey or Greece, or play for a bad team in England, Italy, Spain or Germany?  You would have better chance playing in Champs League if you are in Turkey or Greece.  I'm not saying Fenerbahce should have kept Anleka by no means.  I don't think they need him for the squad they have right now anyway.  I'm just saying playing for Fenerbahce is much better career move than let's say playing for L.A. Galaxy like Beckham.  Then again $250 million is no chump change either.

If Deivid keeps this up, not only he will draw some attention from bigger clubs, he might even get Dunga's attention for Brazilian national team.  Dunga's giving Vagner Love a shot, why not Deivid?

Roberto Carlos not the best any more but still one of the best.  Alex de Sousa already had his chance with the national team but he might get another one after this season.  Kezman is surely not the same Kezman I used to see in PSV but I think he's still good enough to play for bottom clubs in bigger league.  I also think Lugano is one of the best defenders in the world.  Being a Santos fan it's not easy giving a Sao Paulo product much credit but I would take him over his fellow Uruguayan Cordoba who's been with Inter Milan for years. 

Overall I would say Fenerbahce has 5-6 players who are good enough to play for top clubs.  Maybe because they are ready to be one of the top clubs themselves?  If they can keep this up in the Champs League they will change the perception of how other clubs see them.

-------------

Date Posted: 23-Oct-2007 at 18:13
i hope Stuttgart at least beats Lyon, otherwise Stuttgart really has let me down, the current performance in the Bundesliga makes me cry... Cry

but i really doubt they make it, given the logn list of injured... Dead

-------------

Date Posted: 23-Oct-2007 at 20:34
Ugh... uneventful first half for Barca - Rangers.

Blind refs completely missed a blatant and obvious handball that would have been a Barca penalty.

Date Posted: 23-Oct-2007 at 22:38

Watching the Dynamo Kiev vs. Man U game right now, 28 minutes in Man beating Kiev 2-0

-------------

Posted By: Dolphin
Date Posted: 24-Oct-2007 at 00:16
seven nil arsenal!! brilliant

-------------

Date Posted: 24-Oct-2007 at 00:23

wow

-------------

Posted By: Parnell
Date Posted: 24-Oct-2007 at 13:48
One thing that has annoyed me so far is how well Rangers are doing.

-------------

Date Posted: 26-Oct-2007 at 10:34
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JPxB9gNUPKw

Wow, Robinho!  I wonder if Real Madrid will let him throw a wild party after that performance.

He sets up the opening goal by making a through pass to Van Nistelrooy, VN's touch rickashades off the keeper, Raul cherry picks.
Olympiakos lose a man to a little harsh red card.  With a man up and a goal up Real goes little conservative.
Olympiakos counters with two goals to go up one.
Robinho ties with a header.  Who knew that little guy can finish with his head like that? 
Robinho does gazillion step-over combo, walks into the box and get a penalty.  VN overshoots the penalty. 
Robinho scores the winning goal with a brilliant outside foot shot.
Robinho assists the last goal after breaking a run on the right flank.

Robinho, 2 goals 1(2) assist, 3 shots 3on target, 1 penalty earned
Van Nistelrooy + Sneijder, O goals, 1 assist, 11shots on goal 3on target, 1 penalty missed, 1 offside, 1 red card caused.

Come on, I'm just saying.....  No, Real Madrid doesn't need to build  their offense around  Robinho.  Are you crazy?  Robinho just hogs up the ball and flops all the time.  He can't handle the pressure of playing for European elite club, man.  That's why he's gotta throw wild parties to escape from the pressure.  He doesn't have his priorities straight.  Plus, how can an elite club with  great tradition like Real Madrid to trust their future with an immature  little party boy like him.  He's not even  suited for the European game anyway.  He will just be an overrated role player with a couple of flashy showoff tricks but they are not as effective as they look good.  What's wrong with Dunga?  He should be playing guys like Ronaldo, Adriano, Juninho instead of Robinho.  Come on, I'm just saying.....

Alright,  perhaps  a good performance against  Olympiakos  with a man advantage  isn't that impressive.    But considering how bad Real looked without Robinho against Espanol few days ago and how Olympiakos looked good beating Bremen, I guess it's serviceable.Wink

-------------

Date Posted: 26-Oct-2007 at 10:49
Originally posted by Parnell

It annoys me too.  I'm actually downright disturbed.  But I gotta give Scottish football some respect this year.  Rangers are undefeated in Champs League, Celtic beats AC Milan, Scots are in the thick with Italy and France for the EuroCup qualifying.....
If it keeps this way, Mel Gibson should make Braveheart II.
'....Everyman dies, but not everyman truly lives....    ......You can die on your feet or die on your knees........   .......Freedom!' 
I can't get enough of that, for sure.

-------------

Posted By: Yiannis
Date Posted: 26-Oct-2007 at 11:02

Wow, Robinho!

Don't remind me, this b*stard and the Spanish goalkeeper totally destroyed my night!Ouch

-------------
The basis of a democratic state is liberty. Aristotle, Politics

Those that can give up essential liberty to obtain a temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin

Posted By: AyKurt
Date Posted: 28-Oct-2007 at 19:15

Originally posted by Parnell

It annoys me too.  I'm actually downright disturbed.  But I gotta give Scottish football some respect this year.  Rangers are undefeated in Champs League, Celtic beats AC Milan, Scots are in the thick with Italy and France for the EuroCup qualifying.....
If it keeps this way, Mel Gibson should make Braveheart II.
'....Everyman dies, but not everyman truly lives....    ......You can die on your feet or die on your knees........   .......Freedom!' 
I can't get enough of that, for sure.

Why does it annoy you?  Parnell i can understand but you?

Anyway there wont be a Braveheart II, the original has officially been banned in Scotland. Clap

-------------
Holding onto anger is like grasping a hot coal with the intent of throwing it at someone else; you are the one who gets burned. - Buddha

Date Posted: 29-Oct-2007 at 19:55
Come on, if I can make fun of Scottish teams what other teams I can make fun of?  Just kidding.Tongue  I do have hard time giving Celtic much credit because of my Korean heritage and their best player Nakamura(I would rather think he's doing well in a bad league) but Rangers looks legit this year.  Just for pure speed, Beasley's gotta be one of the most fast player in the world.  You just kick it out in to left corner and he will go out and get that for you more times than not.

-------------

Date Posted: 28-Nov-2007 at 04:14
I'm content - Barça clinched their advancement to the knockout stages by yielding a draw to Lyon. Juninho scored twice for Lyon while Andres Iniesta and Leo Messi each scored for Barcelona. Eric Abidal had a sloppy tackle which set up Juninho's tying goal. 

Date Posted: 28-Nov-2007 at 06:20

Come on, if I can make fun of Scottish teams what other teams I can make fun of?  Just kidding.Tongue  I do have hard time giving Celtic much credit because of my Korean heritage and their best player Nakamura(I would rather think he's doing well in a bad league) but Rangers looks legit this year.  Just for pure speed, Beasley's gotta be one of the most fast player in the world.  You just kick it out in to left corner and he will go out and get that for you more times than not.

Nakamura is Japanese though. Mon the HoopsThumbs%20Up.

Date Posted: 28-Nov-2007 at 18:47
most importantly Stuttgart doesn't quit champiosnleague without a well deserved win. Smile

-------------

Date Posted: 29-Nov-2007 at 21:25
congrats Bremen, a nice week for the German clubs Clap

-------------

Date Posted: 06-Dec-2007 at 18:53

Precisely.  That is why I have hard time giving him or his team any credit.Wink

-------------

Date Posted: 06-Dec-2007 at 21:24

Precisely.  That is why I have hard time giving him or his team any credit.Wink

Ok, I seeLOL.

Date Posted: 13-Dec-2007 at 03:55
Well, no need to give Scottish teams too much respect I guess, after being trounced by Lyon 3-0 - although after watching the second half it looked like the Rangers beat themselves just as badly as Lyon beat them. They wasted so many good free kick and corner kick opportunities.

My Barça won again today. Unfortunately I couldn't watch the gave, but what I read seems to show that they looks like they might be starting to regain some of the form that people expect them to show. It was nice for Eto'o and Ronaldinho to score, and kudos to Giovanni dos Santos for breaking on to the UEFA scene with a nice goal as well. Da Silvas free kick strike for Stuttgart was gorgeous and perfectly placed. The Barça backup goalie didn't have a chance.

Date Posted: 13-Dec-2007 at 21:04
It's great to see Eto'o again indeed.  I always thought they didn't even need Henry if Eto'o can stay healthy.  But hey, Henry for 16 million ain't a bad investment.  Hey, Kaysaar, any inside info on when Deco's coming back?

Biggest surprise of the last matches of the group stage is Bremen losing to Olympiakos.  I guess you can't really call it a surprise since Olympikos beat them convincingly in both games home and away against Bremen.  I never thought that Schalke would be the only German team made into the next round.

I'm so happy that Fenerbahce made into next round too.   But it's not  a big surprise for me and Hidden Face.  Alex played like a monster.  I hope Dunga gives him another look at the Brazilian national team.  I would love to see Robinho and Alex together.

Speaking of Brazilian national team, how about that Luis Fabiano.  He's leading the Champs League with 7 goals so far.   If Dunga's willing to give Alfonso a chance for leading the Dutch league last season, he should give Fabiano a serious look at that #9 spot.   Actually, coming out of Sao Paulo, Fabiano was more touted than Robinho, Diego, Elano, Renato or Oliveira.
Sevilla fell out of La Liga contention already but that means they can focus on the Champs League more.  And boy, they know how to win a tournament.   I'm not saying they are gonna win the Champs League but I wouldn't be surprised if they made into the semi final.

Arsenal is little banged up aren't they.  Still they are one of the best teams so far along with Barca, Real Madrid and Man Utd.  They've already had  an undefeated season in EPL and made to the Champs League final in recent years.  Only thing Wenger has left to do is to lift that Champs League trophy.

Out of Italy I still like Roma better than either Inter or AC Milan.  David Suazo impresses me though and Ibrahimovic is a monster.  But Inter always looks like a mercenary team that locks that grit of typical Italian team. 

Liverpool and Chelsea are little too inconsistent at this point but both can turn it around, more so for Liverpool.

-------------

Date Posted: 13-Dec-2007 at 21:06

I never thought that Schalke would be the only German team made into the next round.

tell me. Ouch they're actually the worst of the three, damn bastards.

-------------

Date Posted: 14-Dec-2007 at 14:35

It's great to see Eto'o again indeed.  I always thought they didn't even need Henry if Eto'o can stay healthy.  But hey, Henry for 16 million ain't a bad investment.  Hey, Kaysaar, any inside info on when Deco's coming back?

Arsenal is little banged up aren't they.  Still they are one of the best teams so far along with Barca, Real Madrid and Man Utd.  They've already had  an undefeated season in EPL and made to the Champs League final in recent years.  Only thing Wenger has left to do is to lift that Champs League trophy.

Rikjaard listed Deco as a sub for the last two games, and he played 45 minutes against Deportivo La Coruña last weekend. He picked up where he left off with a yellow card Wink

Arsenal lost this past weekend to Middlesborough in the EPL.

Date Posted: 15-Dec-2007 at 07:56

I never thought that Schalke would be the only German team made into the next round.

tell me. Ouch they're actually the worst of the three, damn bastards.

a red-letter-day for your friend Komnenos.

-------------

Date Posted: 16-Dec-2007 at 08:29
Hi to everyone. I'm new at this forum so I don't know what exactly goes on here. Can anyone (maybe a moderator) post all the 16 teams who continue to 2nd round. Simply to know what's going on now on Champions League ???
Thanks, the japanese.

Posted By: Roberts
Date Posted: 16-Dec-2007 at 08:57
Originally posted by the japanese

Hi to everyone. I'm new at this forum so I don't know what exactly goes on here. Can anyone (maybe a moderator) post all the 16 teams who continue to 2nd round. Simply to know what's going on now on Champions League ???
Thanks, the japanese.

Well You can always check those teams at the uefa.com

Porto
Liverpool
Olympiakos
Real Madrid
Barcelona
Lyon
Inter Milan
Fenerbahce
Chelsea
Schalke
Milan
Celtic
Manchester United
Roma
Sevilla
Arsenal

Date Posted: 17-Dec-2007 at 18:38
Originally posted by Kaysaar

Rikjaard listed Deco as a sub for the last two games, and he played 45 minutes against Deportivo La Coruña last weekend. He picked up where he left off with a yellow card Wink

Arsenal lost this past weekend to Middlesborough in the EPL.

Good, Deco's back.  I missed La Liga last two weeks.  I think Barca will be fine without Messi if Eto'o and Deco's healthy.   Barca was the best team in the world  with Eto'o, Ronaldinho and Deco being their best players.  Since then Messi seems to be their best and most beloved player now but they can score with any 3 of 4 combination of Eto'o, Henry, Messi and Ronaldinho.  You can even throw in Giovanni and Bojan into that mix but no matter who the front threes are the fourth man playing behind all of them has to be Deco.  Iniesta and Xavi tried to fill his shoes while he was out and they performed respectably but not at the level Deco can. 

Yes Arsenal lost but I meant their undefeated season EPL 4 years ago.  That's why losing a game don't bother Wenger as much this season.  He doesn't need another undefeated season in EPL(though it would've been nice thing to achieve again), this year's team is going for both EPL and Champs League trophy. 

-------------

Date Posted: 17-Dec-2007 at 19:44
You don't want to miss La Liga this weekend... FC Barça vs. Real Madrid!

Vamos Barça!

Date Posted: 21-Dec-2007 at 18:29
Thanks, dear "axeman", for posting the 16 teams.

Date Posted: 22-Dec-2007 at 00:48
Here we go with the matchups:

Celtic v Barcelona
Lyon v Man Utd
Schalke 04 v FC Porto
Liverpool v Inter Milan
Roma v Real Madrid
Arsenal v AC Milan
Olympiacos v Chelsea
Fenerbahce v FC Sevilla

Date Posted: 22-Dec-2007 at 06:54
Ok, hope Porto will do a good job!
And Celtic as well!

-------------

Date Posted: 22-Dec-2007 at 11:34
Olympiakos has 2 really difficult games with Chelsea but Takis Lemonis is a very good coach and I think the team will try to go well. With the right tactic the Greek team can have a possibility to pass in the next round.......

Date Posted: 22-Dec-2007 at 15:24
Boo to Celtic! Vamos Barça!

Date Posted: 22-Dec-2007 at 19:02

Both teams are my favourite. Let the better win.

Date Posted: 23-Dec-2007 at 06:30

no, let Celtic win

-------------

Date Posted: 23-Dec-2007 at 10:55

no, let Celtic win

Ok, let the worse win and in Poland-Germany game in Euro 2008 as wellBig%20smile.

Date Posted: 20-Feb-2008 at 22:55

no, let Celtic win

My Barça beat Celtic in Scotland! Messi had two goals, including a nice chip shot over the Celtic goalie and Henry curled a gorgeous shot into the goal. Barça finally showed the scoring touches and brilliance that they should have been showing all season.

-------------

Posted By: Batu
Date Posted: 23-Feb-2008 at 20:55
Fenerbahçe rules.They got Sevilla!!

-------------
A wizard is never late,nor he is early he arrives exactly when he means to :) ( Gandalf the White in the Third Age of History Empire Of Istari )

Date Posted: 04-Mar-2008 at 21:31
I'm watching the AC Milan v. Arsenal game and the standout themes of this game seem to be the awful and hugely inconsistent officiating, and well and AC Milan not being able to figure out that you can't always try super long lob passes (especially after you fail to complete the first 50 tries...). The referee started out whistle happy, and in the second half neglected to use it at all. I'm pretty lenient when it comes to officiating since it's very hard to accurately call a game that can be as fast as football, but this was just awful... painfully awful...

AC Milan kept attempting full field passes against a very stingy Arsenal defense, and didn't change their tactics even when their current style wasn't working. For all the the commentators were talking about how versatile AC Milan can be, they certainly didn't show it today.

In my opinion, Arsenal has easily outplayed AC Milan, and deserved to score those two goals.

On a side note... what happened to all the lively football talk guys? It seems to have dropped off completely...

-------------

Date Posted: 04-Mar-2008 at 22:26
This is Fenerbahce, baby. Smile

Date Posted: 04-Mar-2008 at 22:55
What a finish to that match up huh?

Fenerbache edging Sevilla on penalty kicks seems appropriate after how the first leg went.

I'm just glad my Barça edged out Celtic to advance on the heels (literally) of another Xavi game saver.

-------------

Date Posted: 06-Mar-2008 at 18:19
Schalke did it last night after penalty shooting, with an excellent keeper Neuer, vs Porto while Real's player are only spectators now.

-------------

Posted By: Seko
Date Posted: 06-Mar-2008 at 18:26
Fener is in the quarterf finals for the first time. Thumbs%20Up

-------------

Posted By: Giannis
Date Posted: 07-Mar-2008 at 14:17
Originally posted by Seko

Fener is in the quarterf finals for the first time. Thumbs%20Up

Isn't it the first turkish team ever that makes it to the quarter finals?

-------------
Give me a place to stand and I will move the world.

Date Posted: 07-Mar-2008 at 17:06
Galatasaray made it also in 2001. (Lost to Real Madrid.)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Galatasaray_S.K.

Date Posted: 07-Mar-2008 at 19:28
Fenerbache, Shalke and Roma were great suprises for me, also Arsenal win over Milan was suprising. Now we have in 1/8 at least 3 English teams, 1 Spanish, German and Turkey. I guess Liverpool will promote as well so we have total English dominationUnhappy.
I hope Barca wins.

Date Posted: 14-Mar-2008 at 17:48
Champions%20League-Auslosung.%20 

Nice fixtures.
My prediction:
Arsenal,Chelsea,Schalke and ManU will do it to the Semifinals.

-------------

Date Posted: 14-Mar-2008 at 19:22
I'm thinking Barca, Chelsea, and ManU will advance.

As for Arsenal v. Liverpool, it's hard to say. There are times when Arsenal played very well against AC Milan, and other times when they looked over matched. Liverpool also looked a little outmatched against Inter Milan, and may have lost if Inter's strikers had figured out how to pass to the wide open man in front of the goal. I think I'll go with Ulrich, and say that Arsenal will win, that is, unless Torres has another hat trick.

-------------

Date Posted: 14-Mar-2008 at 20:01

I'm thinking Barca, Chelsea, and ManU will advance.

As for Arsenal v. Liverpool, it's hard to say. There are times when Arsenal played very well against AC Milan, and other times when they looked over matched. Liverpool also looked a little outmatched against Inter Milan, and may have lost if Inter's strikers had figured out how to pass to the wide open man in front of the goal. I think I'll go with Ulrich, and say that Arsenal will win, that is, unless Torres has another hat trick.
Sorry, Kaysaar, here i must disappoint you. Schalke will defeat your darling Barca. Barca didn't play good matches in the past, like Schalke did, but the Germans will surprise the opolents.

-------------

Date Posted: 14-Mar-2008 at 20:59
Yeah, Barça's last few matches have been rough, but they seem to rise to the occasion in the Champion's League. With Ronaldinho starting to find his form, and Xavi rising as the savior of Barça of late, I think we can muster a pair of wins against Schalke.

-------------

Date Posted: 15-Mar-2008 at 12:21

My prediction:
Chelsea

Com'on Ulrich. It's not that hard to believe in Fenerbahce. Just believe in it, and you will see that will happen. Just close your eyes and think about it.

Date Posted: 15-Mar-2008 at 14:50

Barca didn't play good matches in the past, like Schalke did, but the Germans will surprise the opolents.

are you kidding? the only reason Slomka hasn't been sacked yet is because Schalke is still in the Champions League, at the moment Schalke can be happy if they remain on a UEFA Cup spot in the Bundesliga...

-------------

Date Posted: 16-Mar-2008 at 07:47

Barca didn't play good matches in the past, like Schalke did, but the Germans will surprise the opolents.

are you kidding? the only reason Slomka hasn't been sacked yet is because Schalke is still in the Champions League, at the moment Schalke can be happy if they remain on a UEFA Cup spot in the Bundesliga...

no i'm not kidding, just want to impress Komnenos Wink. In deed i wouldn't bet on Schalke but you can't know what will happen.

-------------

Date Posted: 16-Mar-2008 at 19:24
sure, they could pull if off but i rather suspect they won't.

-------------

Date Posted: 17-Mar-2008 at 20:31

My prediction:
Chelsea

Com'on Ulrich. It's not that hard to believe in Fenerbahce. Just believe in it, and you will see that will happen. Just close your eyes and think about it.

'..... and I saw her (hidden)face. Now I'm a believer. I couldn't leave her if I tried.....'

You know, I'm a believer.

My picks: Arsenal, Fenahbace, Barcelona, AS Roma
                       Arsenal                     AS Roma
                                     Arsenal

Those four teams represent 'The Beautiful Game' this year.  Of course I would have love see Robinho more but this Real Madrid squad isn't any more Beautiful or Sexy(as Schuster would put it) than Capello's.  They got knocked out by a prettier Italian team(did I just say that?  a prettier Italian team?), AS Roma.  I would love to have Robinho playing for any of these four teams. 
Only other team that as pretty as these is Sevilla but they went through so much as a team this season like Fuerta's death and losing Juande Ramos.  But losing to Fenerbahce this year is no shame.

I would actually like to see Fenerbahce vs AS Roma in final.  You can form a pretty damn good Brazilian national team out of these two teams.  Deivid, Alex, Taddei, Mancini, Roberto Carlos, Juan, Cicinho, Aurelio, Doni....  Even Maldonado and Lugano, I consider them half Brazilians because both played in Brazil, for Sao Paulo and Santos.

Once again long live the Beautiful game!

-------------

Date Posted: 22-Mar-2008 at 00:43
Now who can back a winner? I am leaning towards Man U, they have been playing well in the EPL, the other English teams cannot live with them. Barca have been a bit scrappy (grr knocked out my beloved Celtic) and I cannot see Schalke/ Fenners winning it. But.. football is not played on paper.

Posted By: Bulldog
Date Posted: 24-Mar-2008 at 03:27

A few months in the future....

Fener win the Champions League...unlikely yes, impossible no Tongue

-------------
      “What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal.”
Albert Pine

Posted By: Seko
Date Posted: 02-Apr-2008 at 23:55
Fenerbahce takes the first leg from Chelsea 2-1 at Sukru Saracoglu Stadium. After taking a 1-0 lead with Chelsea's dominant first half play and some luck by Fener's Deivid on an own-goal in the 13th minute things turned in the second half. An equalizer by Fener at the 65'th minute and a goal with 9 miniutes left, by Deivid no less, won it for the Canaries.

Liverpool and Arsenal tie at 1-1.

On Tuesday, Manchester United and FC Barcelona won away from home. United beat AS Roma 2-0 and Barcelona defeated Schalke 1-0.

-------------

Print Page | Close Window

Bulletin Board Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 9.56a - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2009 Web Wiz - http://www.webwizguide.com