Print Page | Close Window

Your favorite football player

Printed From: History Community ~ All Empires
Category: All Empires Community
Forum Name: Sports and Sports History
Forum Discription: Talk about your favorite team or the history of your favorite sport …
URL: http://www.allempires.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=21181
Printed Date: 23-Apr-2024 at 04:26
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 9.56a - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Your favorite football player
Posted By: Suren
Subject: Your favorite football player
Date Posted: 12-Aug-2007 at 09:00
Who is ur fave football player and why?

Mine is Diego Armando Maradona (Argentinian Devil). famous enough.Tongue

Another Great Football player is Ryan Giggs.

Replies:
Posted By: Kaysaar
Date Posted: 12-Aug-2007 at 10:32
Mine is Maradona's heir apparent, Leo Messi

Posted By: Caoimhe
Date Posted: 17-Aug-2007 at 14:31
Mine would be Paul McGrath one of the best defenders the world has ever seen. Played towards the end of his career with dodgy knees so bad he could not even train, still ended up being the best player on the pitch week in week out, absolute legend. Thumbs%20Up

Another favourite would be Rivaldo magnificent player.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DPWXuJuTYQM&mode=related&search= - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DPWXuJuTYQM&mode=related&search=

ClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClap

-------------
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.

Posted By: Surmount
Date Posted: 18-Aug-2007 at 00:20
soccer or American football?

Posted By: ulrich von hutten
Date Posted: 18-Aug-2007 at 04:19
Originally posted by Surmount

soccer or American football?

was maradonna a football playe or a footballplayer?

There's only ONE Football, and this sport isn't an american one!!!

And , those Members from the british island can't look beyond their own nose.

My favorite Player was and will be for ever......

Günter Netzer...

here together with Paul Breitner (left)..

-------------

http://imageshack.us">

Date Posted: 18-Aug-2007 at 04:21
Americans don't like soccer

Date Posted: 18-Aug-2007 at 04:31
Why is that?

In your guys opinion?

Date Posted: 18-Aug-2007 at 04:37

Why is that?

In your guys opinion?

WHAT ???

-------------

Date Posted: 18-Aug-2007 at 04:39
Why don't Americans like soccer?

Date Posted: 18-Aug-2007 at 04:43

Cause they don't have a vaguest notion of it.

-------------

Posted By: Majkes
Date Posted: 18-Aug-2007 at 05:13

Cause there is no break every 5 minutes and they don't have time to eat hamburgers?Big%20smile

Posted By: Kaysaar
Date Posted: 18-Aug-2007 at 10:13
As an American, all I have to say is this:

Yo si le voy le voy al Barça!

Posted By: The Hidden Face
Date Posted: 18-Aug-2007 at 13:35
Zinedine Zidane. Because he's had the most technical skills I've ever seen. I like technical players, you know. Smile

Posted By: Guests
Date Posted: 19-Aug-2007 at 09:51
Messi

-------------

Date Posted: 19-Aug-2007 at 11:25
Originally posted by ulrich von hutten

Günter Netzer...

here together with Paul Breitner..

I like the cut of that man's jib...with hair like that he couldn't possibly have been a bad footballer...LOL

he looks uncannily like Luke Kelly of the Irish Band the Dubliners as well...

-------------
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.

Date Posted: 19-Aug-2007 at 11:40
the man you mean is Paul Breitner. He scored the first german goal in wc-final 1974 (penalty).
But he couldn't sing but tried to act...

One of the highlights of germany's film productions.
Potato Fritz (1975) Hardy Krüger (left) and Paul Beitner

-------------

Date Posted: 20-Aug-2007 at 11:29
Potato Fritz? I must look out for it.

Another player with mad afro who wasn't too bad Carlos Valderrama

-------------

Posted By: Adalwolf
Date Posted: 21-Aug-2007 at 18:30

Americans don't like soccer

I'm American. I like soccer.

As for a favorite FOOTBALL player, I'll go with...let me think...Brett Farve. He isn't on top of his game, but I've always thought he was great.

As for soccer player...

Zidane!!!

It's a shame his great career went out like that....

-------------
Concrete is heavy; iron is hard--but the grass will prevail.
     Edward Abbey

Posted By: Dolphin
Date Posted: 22-Aug-2007 at 04:59
Its bloody brilliant his career ended like that..It proved that inspite off all his successes and triumphs he was willing to sour allof that to make it clear that the love of his family came first. It makes him even more of a legend...!

-------------

Posted By: Parnell
Date Posted: 22-Aug-2007 at 05:19

Very true. Zidane's a top bloke! How many footballers in this day and age (*Pointing at David Beckham, 'Cashley' Cole etc.) really give a damn about anything other than the obscene money they make?

-------------

Posted By: malizai_
Date Posted: 22-Aug-2007 at 09:19
Zidane, excellent with his head!. Thumbs%20Up 

-------------

Posted By: King Kang of Mu
Date Posted: 22-Aug-2007 at 09:27

First, they are pretty bad at it.  Second, I don't know about hamburger breaks but they do need to stop the game every five minutes and go to McDonalds and Budweiser commercials.  Third, if you don't need to abuse steroids, it ain't competitive sport.  And last but not the least, there ain't no dog fighting in soccer.Wink

-------------
http://www.allempires.net/forum/forums.html

Date Posted: 22-Aug-2007 at 10:02
Anyway, my favorite player is Robinho.  People knock on him so much that make me like him even more.  They say he's not big or strong enough to be successful in Europe.  I always like to believe that superior intelligence, technique, creativity and aesthetics beats a brute force any day.  They say he's too selfish.  Didn't they used to say that about Ronaldinho too?  Romario?  Besides, I bet Van Nistelrooy don't think Robinho is too selfish.  They say he's too much of a show-off.  If they had his skills they would show off too.  They say Messi is better than him.  Hmmm, Robinho brought La Liga trophy and Copa America trophy home this summer, both in expanse of yes, Messi.  But most of all he brings the joy of football, yes that cheeky school boy nonsense to the big stage.  It's like Miles Davis playing in Glenn Miller's Big Band, so ahead of his time.   

-------------

Posted By: Dolphin
Date Posted: 22-Aug-2007 at 10:16
Robinho suits an italian or especially Spanish game, he wouldn't excel in England..Hes good but he's not my favourite. Id rather take rooney, Ronaldo, or Tevez off the bench if I needed a quick goal.

-------------

Date Posted: 25-Aug-2007 at 14:15

....Peter Beardsley....perhaps more known for his apparent poor looks than his fine footballing skill....

..Matt Le Tissier....as i am sure gcle2003 will probably agree...

..Paul Gascoigne before his career ending injuries....

...Zidane for being so cool in football without even breaking into a sweat, what a player..phew!!!..

...and lastly Johann Cruyff....quite possibly my all time favourite...

-------------

Date Posted: 26-Aug-2007 at 01:59
Originally posted by Act of Oblivion

....Peter Beardsley....perhaps more known for his apparent poor looks than his fine footballing skill....

..Matt Le Tissier....as i am sure gcle2003 will probably agree...

..Paul Gascoigne before his career ending injuries....

...Zidane for being so cool in football without even breaking into a sweat, what a player..phew!!!..

...and lastly Johann Cruyff....quite possibly my all time favourite...

Act, please try to keep serious.
Beardsley, come on, Gasa the crybaby, did you forget Georg Best and David Platt the smirker?
English fans have a bit limited percption.

-------------

Date Posted: 26-Aug-2007 at 07:00
Too bad George Best never got to play in World Cup.  Sad life story too, but as were many gifted artists.  He was like Van Gogh of Football.  What if he was born little later as an English?  Best and Lineker in 82?  That would have been something I would have like to see.  He actually wanted Ireland and Northern Ireland to field an unified team.  That would have been nice, even politically, especially in 70's.  I'm gonna light up another cigarette for him.

On French side who's best French footballer ever?  Platini or Zidane?  Or Just Fontaine?  Henry?  Tigana? Cantona?  I know Ulrich will say Ribery.  Platini was great but Zidane brought home the bacon.  Both also played great for Juventus.

Speaking of 82 and Platini, anybody remember the Polish Platini from 82?  That would be a good football trivia.

Of course, the best Dutch player ever would be Cruyff, but who's the second?  Van Basten?  Guulit?  Rijkaard?  Kluivert?  De Boer?  In this case nobody brought home the bacon.

I haven't seen much of German players prior to 80's exception of Beckenbauer and Gerd Muller.  My first favorite German was Rummenigge.   Who's better, Rummenigge, Klinsman, Matthaus, or Ballack?  In this case they all brought home the bacon exception of Rummenigge but he made the final twice.

Who's best Icelander ever?  Gudjohnson or Ulrich?  In this case they went to market and got some Canadian Bacon.  Just kidding.LOL

Hey, did anybody catch Norway beating Argentina the other day, even though it was just a friendly?  I didn't know Carew was a Norwegian.

Speaking of friendly, Bosnia and Croatia played against each other in a 'friendly' also same day.

-------------

Date Posted: 26-Aug-2007 at 13:22

Beardsley, come on, Gasa the crybaby, did you forget Georg Best and David Platt the smirker?

..LOL!!!!....LOL!!!!!.

..however, in my defence, the thread title is 'favourite' player, not 'best player'..!!!!..and i am being serious with Beardsley, he is one of my fav players!!!....George Best?..yeah he was good, but not that good IMHO....Platty???..never was a fan!!!!!!..he looked like an alien bit-part from the X-Files!!!...

....would have to agree with the limited perception bit with regards to myself, i am a bit older than most here, and my main footballing era was before the global coverage we have now, hence, my lack of 'foreign' appreciation, my ingrained memories are of mainly English players..however, i am more aware of foreign players now, and when i spot something decent, i will let you know!!!!!!LOL....

-------------

Posted By: red clay
Date Posted: 26-Aug-2007 at 13:47

Not true, soccer has replaced little league baseball as the number one kids go to sport.  Obviously the term "Soccer Moms" hasn't reached Iceland yet.

BTW- Did you guys get Moving Pictures yet?

-------------
"Arguing with someone who hates you or your ideas, is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter what move you make, your opponent will walk all over the board and scramble the pieces".
Unknown.

Date Posted: 26-Aug-2007 at 14:31
Hey, that's enough of Icelander bashing.  He might go bjork on you.  Speaking of Bjork, I like to bjork her.

-------------

Date Posted: 26-Aug-2007 at 16:47

Charles [Chuck, Concrete Charlie] Bednarik.  Phila. Eagles 1948-1962

Seen in this shot standing over an unconcious, Frank Gifford who, would remain unconcious for another 24 hours. This was the game that put the Eagles into the 1960 Championship game.

Bednarik was the last NFL player to go both Offensive and Defensive in a regular season game.  This game he played 58 min.

BTW- this was ruled a clean, legal hit.  It wasn't until 1962 that Gifford could return to regular play

-------------
"Arguing with someone who hates you or your ideas, is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter what move you make, your opponent will walk all over the board and scramble the pieces".
Unknown.

Date Posted: 27-Aug-2007 at 15:09
Originally posted by Act of Oblivion

..LOL!!!!....LOL!!!!!.

..however, in my defence, the thread title is 'favourite' player, not 'best player'..!!!!..and i am being serious with Beardsley, he is one of my fav players!!!....George Best?..yeah he was good, but not that good IMHO....Platty???..never was a fan!!!!!!..he looked like an alien bit-part from the X-Files!!!...

....would have to agree with the limited perception bit with regards to myself, i am a bit older than most here, and my main footballing era was before the global coverage we have now, hence, my lack of 'foreign' appreciation, my ingrained memories are of mainly English players..however, i am more aware of foreign players now, and when i spot something decent, i will let you know!!!!!!LOL....

AoO, don't know, how old you are, but i bring back the WC 1966 to my mind as the first big sport-event i saw in my life.
So, i never will forget english football players.

-------------

Date Posted: 27-Aug-2007 at 15:15
Originally posted by red clay

Not true, soccer has replaced little league baseball as the number one kids go to sport.  Obviously the term "Soccer Moms" hasn't reached Iceland yet.

BTW- Did you guys get Moving Pictures yet?

Ok, Red Clay, that's enough.

Yellow flag. 10 yards penalty for interference in common with unsportmanlike conduct. First down and 53yards.

And now , please watch the commercials......

-------------

Date Posted: 27-Aug-2007 at 17:19

AoO, don't know, how old you are, but i bring back the WC 1966 to my mind as the first big sport-event i saw in my life.
So, i never will forget english football players.

...ok, fair dues, i am not that old!!!..well not quite....... but the early 1970's were also a tad hazy as far as football goes, so i will stick to my choices as they capture what i enjoy about the game, tenacity, pride, passion, and somewhere in there, there really was some quality talent!!!!......Big%20smile 

-------------

Posted By: Kochanoglu
Date Posted: 12-Mar-2009 at 23:13
Gheorghe Hagi .   Ä°N MY OPÄ°NÄ°ON  HE S THE BEST FOOTBALLER  EVER. very very high technic,amazing shoots , milimetric passes,wonderful freekicks, he was full pension fottballer. he has all of this specialities.but other footballers have only one or two speciality.in turkey and romania everybody know him a football god.if he born in brasil all of the peoples'll accept  that  he s the best footballer.go youtube and whatch  him.u'll be agree with me.

Posted By: Knights
Date Posted: 13-Mar-2009 at 13:52
Always been a fan of Beckham, but I quite enjoy watching Ronaldinho. 

-------------

Date Posted: 14-Mar-2009 at 06:32
Originally posted by Kochanoglu

Gheorghe Hagi .   Ä°N MY OPÄ°NÄ°ON  HE S THE BEST FOOTBALLER  EVER. very very high technic,amazing shoots , milimetric passes,wonderful freekicks, he was full pension fottballer. he has all of this specialities.but other footballers have only one or two speciality.in turkey and romania everybody know him a football god.if he born in brasil all of the peoples'll accept  that  he s the best footballer.go youtube and whatch  him.u'll be agree with me.

Hagi, this frowzy Carpartian sub-genius? You must be joking.

-------------

Posted By: Batu
Date Posted: 15-Mar-2009 at 12:35
Hagi is one of my favourites too. He made Galatasaray the UEFA champion;and made me a galatasaray fan.
but my real favourite is Buffon;he is such a giant.

-------------
A wizard is never late,nor he is early he arrives exactly when he means to :) ( Gandalf the White in the Third Age of History Empire Of Istari )

Posted By: Jallaludin Akbar
Date Posted: 15-Mar-2009 at 17:25
mine is tom brady from new england LOL

-------------
"First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win."
-Mahatma Gandhi

Posted By: HungryWolf
Date Posted: 15-Mar-2009 at 19:16
Christiano Ronaldo and Arda Turan :

-------------
http://img15.imageshack.us/my.php?image=nnna.gif">

Turks can be killed but can't be beaten. (Napoleon Bonaparte)

Posted By: opuslola
Date Posted: 25-Jan-2010 at 15:06
Damn! No one mentioned Pele'! Are you all too young?

As for real football, maybe I would nominate "Sweetness!" If you don't know who he was then you really deserve soccer!

And, the main difference in American Football and Footbol/bul, is that the real man on man fights start in the stands in Soccer, and on the field in Football! Laugh!

-------------
http://www.quotationspage.com/subjects/history/

Posted By: New Corduene
Date Posted: 06-Nov-2010 at 14:26
Leo Messi all the way.

Posted By: Tiger of Kai
Date Posted: 13-Nov-2010 at 22:56
Big Thierry Henry fan!

Posted By: Mosquito
Date Posted: 14-Nov-2010 at 18:57
Right now the team of my city Lech Poznan is first in group A in European Leage, over Manchester City - probably the richest club in the world at the moment and Juventus.

My favourite players are:

Rudnevs who scored 3 goals in the game vs Juventus

[TUBE]38drbS5Ge9Y[/TUBE]

And Mozdzen, for his goal in the game versus Manchester City which ended with victory 3:1

[TUBE]gysd7nCvhuE[/TUBE]

-------------
"I am a pure-blooded Polish nobleman, without a single drop of bad blood, certainly not German blood" - Friedrich Nietzsche

Posted By: Mosquito
Date Posted: 14-Nov-2010 at 19:02
Originally posted by opuslola

And, the main difference in American Football and Footbol/bul, is that the real man on man fights start in the stands in Soccer, and on the field in Football! Laugh!

Yeah, all those fools in body armour, thats the joke not real men. Real men play soccer and often suffer very dangerous injuries, not like beefcakes protected by armour in this what you call american football...

-------------
"I am a pure-blooded Polish nobleman, without a single drop of bad blood, certainly not German blood" - Friedrich Nietzsche

Date Posted: 17-Nov-2010 at 10:51
Originally posted by Mosquito

Yeah, all those fools in body armour, thats the joke not real men. Real men play soccer and often suffer very dangerous injuries, not like beefcakes protected by armour in this what you call american football...

You really think there's a greater chance of suffering a serious injury playing soccer as opposed to American football??? There's a reason they have to wear all that protection...

Posted By: Aeem
Date Posted: 09-Feb-2011 at 10:16
I think to the best  actually player is Messi, but i love Nasri. His two goals against Fulham are very wonderful, his absence against the Brazil tonight it's very pity.

In the history several players were very incredible same Pele, Maradonna, Cruyff or Zidane. It's impossible to make a choice.

[TUBE]odYeWZWEqWg&feature=related[/TUBE]

[TUBE]Vuf_8JjdVG8[/TUBE]

Date Posted: 09-Feb-2011 at 13:25

Mosquito my friend, whenever you trash the US as well as American manhood, I strongly suggest you at least know something about the subject.  Soccer being nothing more than a bunch of little boys running around in funny looking shorts.
That's as intelligent as your response to Opus.  Particularly when he was refferring to the fans, not the players.  Or was that your intent? Can't bring up the subject of Soccer Hooligans now can we?

-------------
Unknown.

Posted By: Prodigal
Date Posted: 10-Feb-2011 at 13:41
I like soccer, I like Football, I like Rugby
I have played all 3

Of the three American Football is the hardest to play.

I don't think Americans like soccer, becuase all and all it is slow paced, doesn't play well on TV (great in person, much like Hockey) and often one team can be completley dominant and lose. Also the calls by the stripes are very subjective.

As for Soccer--Wayne Rooney becuase he plays like a man. physical and aggresive, most players in the EU play like dancers afraid to mix it up. Thats why I  prefer the Brits in soccer they play like men. It seems in the German league they play too fine and try to be pretty this is esp true in the Spanish teams.

As for Real Football--Past "Samurai" Mike Singletary and Gary "Hitman" Fencik

today Brain Urlacher

Posted By: Prodigal
Date Posted: 10-Feb-2011 at 13:52
Originally posted by red clay

Mosquito my friend, whenever you trash the US as well as American manhood, I strongly suggest you at least know something about the subject.  Soccer being nothing more than a bunch of little boys running around in funny looking shorts.
That's as intelligent as your response to Opus.  Particularly when he was refferring to the fans, not the players.  Or was that your intent? Can't bring up the subject of Soccer Hooligans now can we?

Trashing AMerican manhood ?!? OK you are from Poland, a fine country but not exactly a powerhouse in anything now or ever. But a fince country and home to one of the greatest men of the 20th century Blessed Pope John PaulII. But not really a hotbead of athletic prowess.

The painfull truth is this, if America actually cared about Soccer, and our best or even average athletes played the game (Football, Basketball, Hockey and Baseball as well as Track and even wrestling gets better athletes) really Soccer get our 3rd tier jocks. Even with that we did well in the world cup (better than Poland). Imagine if Soccer got our best, I really doubt any country could compete with the US.

In HS this is the rank of sports as by kids playing them:
1. Baseball
2. Football
3. Basketball
4. Wrestling
5. Track and F
6. Soccer
7. cross country

In womens sport Soccer does get our best and the US women are one the best teams in the world.

Posted By: mynoon
Date Posted: 10-Feb-2011 at 20:11
I think the most talented player ever is George Best. The best club players ever are Ryan Giggs and paolo maldini, because of how long they played, who they played for and what they have won. Pele, Zidane, Ronaldo are the best ever international players. But my top 5 of the best overall player would be 1 Zidane, 2 Maradona, 3 Cruyff, Charlton, Best. I must say I like the thread.

Date Posted: 12-Feb-2011 at 08:32
Well, the thread title says Favorite Football Player.  Okay, so that would be-

Charles "Chuck" Phillip Bednarik, AKA- Concrete Charlie, AKA- the Last Gladiator.

Chuck Bednarik was the last man in the NFL to play on both Offense and defense.  Or as they call him in Phila. The last 60 min. man.  He played both Linebacker and center.

This is the classic photo of Bednarik standing on Franklin Field, in the NFL title game 1960.  He was waiting for the defense to come on.

This is the photo that most remember him by, esp. by Giants fans. Big smile The Giants had a clear shot at the Championship [before the Super Bowl] until they ran into the Eagles and old "Charlie the Clutch".  The unconcious player laying prone is Frank Gifford, Giants running back.  He was out of football for a year following this tackle.  Which was ruled legal and clean.

You want to talk real men?

-------------
Unknown.

Date Posted: 12-Feb-2011 at 09:31
Did this guy with 5 different names play middle or outside linebacker. Was he the player who snaped the ball when he played at centre.

Why do you North American's always have to go against the rest of the world. when your talking other north American's then you can call American football, football. But when your talking to people from other parts of the world just call it American football. But insted you force your crap game on the world every year with the super bowl. Give me barca vs real any day

Date Posted: 12-Feb-2011 at 09:45
Originally posted by mynoon

Did this guy with 5 different names play middle or outside linebacker. Was he the player who snaped the ball when he played at centre.

Why do you North American's always have to go against the rest of the world. when your talking other north American's then you can call American football, football. But when your talking to people from other parts of the world just call it American football. But insted you force your crap game on the world every year with the super bowl. Give me barca vs real any day

I didn't say anything in a derogatory or disrespectful manner.  Why are you?  You want me to answer you after that? 

-------------
Unknown.

Date Posted: 13-Feb-2011 at 12:55
If we're talking American football, my favorite player is Jerry "Jesus In Cleats" Rice.

Date Posted: 13-Feb-2011 at 13:22
Rice is overrated he just played for ages and with 1 of te best QBs ever

Date Posted: 13-Feb-2011 at 19:20
That statement's as flawed as your spelling. (Even after editing!Wink)

Rice already had all the receiving records halfway through his career. He also held almost every single season record. Not sure what career longevity would have to do with that. Not to mention the fact that he played at such a high level for so long (his last year being his only down year) points to his greatness. There really isn't any other player that is UNANIMOUSLY considered to be the greatest at his position.

Print Page | Close Window

Bulletin Board Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 9.56a - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2009 Web Wiz - http://www.webwizguide.com