Print Page | Close Window

Favorite Sport

Printed From: History Community ~ All Empires
Category: All Empires Community
Forum Name: Sports and Sports History
Forum Discription: Talk about your favorite team or the history of your favorite sport
URL: http://www.allempires.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=18968
Printed Date: 29-Mar-2024 at 10:33
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 9.56a - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Favorite Sport
Posted By: Adalwolf
Subject: Favorite Sport
Date Posted: 03-Apr-2007 at 03:06
My favorite sport is football, American football. Soccer is my second favorite.

-------------
Concrete is heavy; iron is hard--but the grass will prevail.
     Edward Abbey

Replies:
Posted By: alexISS
Date Posted: 03-Apr-2007 at 03:12
Football(=soccer)

-------------
"Military justice is to justice what military music is to music" Groucho

Posted By: Knights
Date Posted: 03-Apr-2007 at 03:13
It's a very tough choice for me, but I decided on cricket in the end. I also like tennis, rugby union, gaelic football (international rules). ping pong, soccer...and the list goes on...Cool

-------------

Posted By: JanusRook
Date Posted: 03-Apr-2007 at 03:25
Gridiron football is my favorite sport.

-------------
Economic Communist, Political Progressive, Social Conservative.

Unless otherwise noted source is wiki.

Posted By: Gundamor
Date Posted: 03-Apr-2007 at 04:52
Pretty much like most sports. Baseball is my favorite statistical or highlight watching sport(I like watching the long home runs). I usually only watch a few regular season games and the playoffs though. NFL football,basketball and hockey are sports I like to actually watch the majority of the game.

I like playing competitive volleyball as well.

-------------
"An eye for an eye only ends up making the whole world blind"

Posted By: Aelfgifu
Date Posted: 03-Apr-2007 at 05:19
Speed Skating, no contest. The only thing that is not horribly boring to watch.

For the poor sods who do not know the noble art:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Speed_skating - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Speed_skating

-------------

Women hold their councils of war in kitchens: the knives are there, and the cups of coffee, and the towels to dry the tears.

Posted By: ArmenianSurvival
Date Posted: 03-Apr-2007 at 05:58
Originally posted by Aelgifu

Speed Skating, no contest. The only thing that is not horribly boring to watch

While I'm not questioning the difficulty of the game, I would be reluctant to play any sport that requires me to dress like a condom Tongue

I like Gridiron football and Futbol, although Basketball will always be a favorite of mine since its the only organized sport that I've played (6-7 years). Its also the only sport I watch consistantly, I've been a huge Lakers fan for about 12 years.

-------------
Mass Murderers Agree: Gun Control Works!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Van_Resistance

Քիչ ենք բայց Հայ ենք։

Posted By: Roberts
Date Posted: 03-Apr-2007 at 07:30
Soccer, followed by basketball.

-------------

Posted By: Frederick Roger
Date Posted: 03-Apr-2007 at 08:51
Football. European, not the sissy american version of rugby. LOL

Posted By: Seko
Date Posted: 03-Apr-2007 at 09:28
This poll is more difficult to answer than those, "which empire is greater?" ones.

Favorite sports to play:

- Football
- Hockey
- Soccer
- Tennis

Favorite sports to watch (while yelling at the TV):

- College football
- NBA basketball playoffs
- Hockey playoffs
- World Cup soccer

Sport to mellow out by:

- Bowling

Sports that make you gag:

- Golf
- Cricket
- Badminton (they don't call it 'bad' for nothing you know!)

-------------

Posted By: Zagros
Date Posted: 03-Apr-2007 at 09:41
Gaelic Football.

-------------

Posted By: Eondt
Date Posted: 03-Apr-2007 at 09:52
C'mon, big sports like Rugby and Cricket aren't even on the poll...it's what happens when Americans talk sportTongue

I voted Rugby btw, with Cricket a close second.

Posted By: Kaysaar
Date Posted: 03-Apr-2007 at 10:07
I feel your pain Eondt, Ultimate Frisbee isn't represented either Wink

After that, either Futbol or basketball.

Posted By: Guests
Date Posted: 03-Apr-2007 at 10:23
It would have to be soccer. I mean i played it my whole life. It sucks though that America has a weak soccer league though.

Date Posted: 03-Apr-2007 at 12:05
Soccer is my favorite

Posted By: SearchAndDestroy
Date Posted: 03-Apr-2007 at 12:20
How can you put up Darts before Ice Hockey! Come on, Hockeys the fastest sport on earth and has more history then any of the other sports in North America! So many eras and greats in Hockey, so many personalities, theres just so much to hockey! I can't believe it's not on the list!
I guess that just shows Hockey is on a higher level then any of those sports, it'd put the others to shame if it was on there...Tongue

-------------
"A patriot must always be ready to defend his country against his government." E.Abbey

Date Posted: 03-Apr-2007 at 13:37
Well, I made the poll at 2 in the morning, so it was hard coming up with choices! Rugby and hockey didn't even enter my mind until I woke up this morning. LOL

-------------
     Edward Abbey

Posted By: Cezar
Date Posted: 03-Apr-2007 at 13:44
Rugby.
Adawolf, you should post in the evening or in the morning.
Where's volleyball? (As in: Do some of you care about it? I like it, a lot)

Posted By: ulrich von hutten
Date Posted: 03-Apr-2007 at 15:17
1)Football (Labour-sport- in former times !!!!)
2) Cycling  ( Doping is legal )
3)Biathlon ( that's what i love - shooting and running)
4)Downhill skiing ( Above all with out any snow - global heating)
5)Basketball  ( Doping is legal, too - NBA-)
6) Handball  ( cause none of you has any idea of it , beside Northman, a bit)
7) Croquet ( same like Cricket)
8) Underwater Polo ( with seahorses)

-------------

http://imageshack.us">

Posted By: xi_tujue
Date Posted: 03-Apr-2007 at 15:30
I don't know why you Yanks keep calling it soccer

we play it with the foot you play it with I don't know bumping at eachother

stop calling it soccer wtf is soccer btw

-------------
I rather be a nomadic barbarian than a sedentary savage

Date Posted: 03-Apr-2007 at 16:28
Originally posted by xi_tujue

I don't know why you Yanks keep calling it soccer

we play it with the foot you play it with I don't know bumping at eachother

stop calling it soccer wtf is soccer btw

It's an English term not Yank.
  - 
  - 

-------------

Date Posted: 03-Apr-2007 at 18:13

The ball is called a football because it's about a foot long, really 11inches, atleast the American verson. The sport is named after the ball, hense the name of the sport, "Football".

And we'll call it soccer, because we can. Or we'll just call it, "Oh yeah that 'other sport', I used to play that as a child...."Tongue I don't think ti was even us "Yanks" that came up with the name Soccer.

-------------
"A patriot must always be ready to defend his country against his government." E.Abbey

Date Posted: 03-Apr-2007 at 18:38
Well if you want to get picky the list should of been Gridiron Football, Rugby Football(rugger to some), Australian Rules Football(Footy to some), Association Football(assoccer,socca,socker,Soccer) or Gaelic Football(dont know any nicknames). I don't know how football became the world standard for soccer but I blame the British like I do for everything else.

-------------

Date Posted: 03-Apr-2007 at 19:17
lol Thats a good reason, blame the English!LOL

-------------

Date Posted: 04-Apr-2007 at 00:30

wtf is soccer btw

As an american I have been asking myself that for years.

-------------

Posted By: Siege Tower
Date Posted: 04-Apr-2007 at 22:28
My favorite sport is Baseball, and i am a pitcher. it's always great to watch baseball highlight but the thing about baseball is that watch the whole game is extremely boring, sometimes a inning takes twenty minutes, i remember last season i went to a game between Blue Jays and Capitals, the whole thing took three and half hours.

-------------

Date Posted: 05-Apr-2007 at 00:47
Blue Jays and Capitals?

Do you mean the Washington Nationals? Or is this another league?

Yeah, I remember a few years back going to a Blue Jays game in Toronto, it's a beautiful stadium. I agree with you on that baseball gets too boring when your not playing it. But that's what alcohol is good for.

-------------

Posted By: Yucky cat
Date Posted: 05-Apr-2007 at 01:35

C'mon how can a simple poll turn into an agrument. Blue Jays sucks, you don't need to even look at it for 1 second after the 2nd inning. I don't give if you call soccer football, but actually I like the name soccer better.

Go buy some pantaloons!

Posted By: Athanasios
Date Posted: 05-Apr-2007 at 12:28
Hey! Were is water polo? It is supposed we've got to make a choice btw real sports!!!Angry

I've voted DartsSmile...

-------------

Date Posted: 05-Apr-2007 at 14:29
Oh man, this poll is depressing! I like soccer, but football totaly pwns soccer! Shame on all of you! 

-------------
     Edward Abbey

Date Posted: 05-Apr-2007 at 15:22
Originally posted by JanusRook

Blue Jays and Capitals?

Do you mean the Washington Nationals? Or is this another league?

Yeah, I remember a few years back going to a Blue Jays game in Toronto, it's a beautiful stadium. I agree with you on that baseball gets too boring when your not playing it. But that's what alcohol is good for.

sorry, too much hockey lately, i am surprised hockey is not on the list, or curling

-------------

Date Posted: 05-Apr-2007 at 15:31
Oh man, this poll is depressing! I like soccer, but football totaly pwns soccer! Shame on all of you! 
I'm still not happy with you not putting up HOCKEY! Shame shame on you!LOL

-------------

Posted By: Kaysaar
Date Posted: 05-Apr-2007 at 15:51
Originally posted by Siege Tower

sorry, too much hockey lately, i am surprised hockey is not on the list, or curling

You're surprised that curling isn't on the list? Shocked

Date Posted: 05-Apr-2007 at 16:09
Well hell, Darts made it! In curling atleast you move more and has some teamwork.Smile

-------------

Posted By: ulrich von hutten
Date Posted: 06-Apr-2007 at 05:33
Originally posted by Athanasios

Hey! Were is water polo? It is supposed we've got to make a choice btw real sports!!!Angry

I've voted DartsSmile...

May I quote myself ?

8) Underwater Polo ( with seahorses)

-------------

http://imageshack.us">

Date Posted: 07-Apr-2007 at 15:09
OR Lacrosse, it's such a good sport, very similar to hockey but the rules are not as strict

-------------

Date Posted: 07-Apr-2007 at 20:16
Elephant Polo - now there's a sport! Approve

-------------

Posted By: gcle2003
Date Posted: 08-Apr-2007 at 08:06
How come cricket isn't in there?

More people bet more money on cricket than any other sport (that doesn't involve animals).

And 'soccer' is indeed a British term. It distinguishes association football from rugby football (and a fortiori, the Australian, Gaelic and American versions, as well as the medieval ones), and always has done.

And I used to play a lot of hockey: not however 'ice' hockey but the real thing.

-------------

Date Posted: 08-Apr-2007 at 08:20
Soccer is also the REAL term.

-------------

Date Posted: 08-Apr-2007 at 10:08
Originally posted by gcle2003

Yeh...Cry Cricket is my favourite [conventional] sport!

-------------

Posted By: Seko
Date Posted: 08-Apr-2007 at 12:29
Originally posted by gcle2003

More people bet more money on cricket than any other sport (that doesn't involve animals).

And 'soccer' is indeed a British term. It distinguishes association football from rugby football (and a fortiori, the Australian, Gaelic and American versions, as well as the medieval ones), and always has done.

And I used to play a lot of hockey: not however 'ice' hockey but the real thing.

The 'real thing' arggh! That's field hockey to you I assume. Not a bad sport. Running around swatting a miniature stick. NOW AMPLIFY that x10 fold and you have field hockey on steroids. That is ICE HOCKEY. The one and only. Empphh!!LOL

-------------

Date Posted: 08-Apr-2007 at 13:51
Originally posted by Zaitsev

Soccer is also the REAL term.

No it is not. The English inventors call it football. Other countries who call it differently should be sued.Big%20smile

-------------

Date Posted: 08-Apr-2007 at 23:19
Have you ever tried playing soccer without socks? I thought not. If you had you'd know why it was called soccer.

-------------

Date Posted: 09-Apr-2007 at 04:10
Originally posted by Zaitsev

Have you ever tried playing soccer without socks? I thought not. If you had you'd know why it was called soccer.

Well I usually play it bare foot during the summer

-------------

Posted By: gcle2003
Date Posted: 09-Apr-2007 at 04:59
Originally posted by Seko

The 'real thing' arggh! That's field hockey to you I assume. Not a bad sport. Running around swatting a miniature stick. NOW AMPLIFY that x10 fold and you have field hockey on steroids. That is ICE HOCKEY. The one and only. Empphh!!LOL

I like watching ice hockey. If I'd grown up somewhere where it was frozen all the time I'd probably have played it too. If only to keep warm.

-------------

Date Posted: 09-Apr-2007 at 05:45
Originally posted by axeman

No it is not. The English inventors call it football. Other countries who call it differently should be sued.Big%20smile

The English also invented Cricket, Rugby and America. Theyve lost them all, so theyre hardly in a position to claim them LOL

-------------

Date Posted: 09-Apr-2007 at 16:35
Spoken like a true man! To bad you like those losers in red!Tongue Well sorta losers, not winning and losing wise...
I like watching ice hockey. If I'd grown up somewhere where it was frozen all the time I'd probably have played it too. If only to keep warm.
Do you follow any North American teams in the NHL? And if not, which league do you follow if any?

-------------

Date Posted: 09-Apr-2007 at 17:02
My favorite NHL teams are NJ Devils(I always liked them since the childhood when I played NHL 97(?) on SEGA - Doug Gilmour was the man, later super attack trinity - Arnott, Sykora, Elias), Colorado Avalanche (because of Skrastins).

-------------

Date Posted: 09-Apr-2007 at 17:30
I can't stand the Devils, I really do despise them. Especially after what happened last post season...

-------------

Posted By: Omar al Hashim
Date Posted: 11-Apr-2007 at 04:28
What sort of a yanko-centric poll is this?

My favourite sport without question is Cricket, the test match flavour being the best. After that I'd go for Hockey (real Hockey). Football (soccer) and tennis are good too. I like football (AFL) too but I don't really follow it.

But I'll tell you that Lawn Bowls is one of the most fun games to play and watch.

Also gridiron isn't a sport, its an excuse for commercials (although pretty fun to play). Baseball is hopeless, everything you hit is apparently a foul, and Basketball is the sport I hate the most. Oh, and if Australia had any ice we'd beat you north americans in ice hockey too

Originally posted by Zagros

Gaelic Football.

You know that Gaelic football with a slight modification is really popular in Aus as the AFL

-------------

Posted By: Aelfgifu
Date Posted: 11-Apr-2007 at 07:02
Originally posted by ArmenianSurvival

Originally posted by Aelgifu

Speed Skating, no contest. The only thing that is not horribly boring to watch

While I'm not questioning the difficulty of the game, I would be reluctant to play any sport that requires me to dress like a condom Tongue

Well, I was not talking about sports that are fun to be doing....Wink I see not problem with watching sportsmen dressed in little more than a condom... Tongue

Why is every sport mentioned here a team/ball game? Ball games are for kids and teamsports are for sissies. Real sports is on your own with your own body as the enemy to beat.

Big%20smile

Ah, and although I loathe the sport (twelve spoiled multimilionairs falling over whenever the ball comes near) it is the only thing that can be named football, as the aim of the game is to power the ball with ones foot.

American football (which is Rugby for whiners), is not football at all, as they spend a lot of time with it in their hands. 'Pick-it-up-and-run'-ball is a far more logical name...

-------------

Women hold their councils of war in kitchens: the knives are there, and the cups of coffee, and the towels to dry the tears.

Posted By: Balaam
Date Posted: 11-Apr-2007 at 09:44
Halfling Pit Fighting by far

after that I'll go for cricket, AFL, and the V8 Supercars (which by the way is the best car racing around)

-------------

Posted By: Dolphin
Date Posted: 11-Apr-2007 at 17:29
Gaelic football and Aussie rules are quite seperate in reality, the aussie ball is oval, gaelic round, aussie is full contact, gaelic is not, they're the main differences anyway. The international rules between gaelic and afl don't really seem to be working anymore, with the gap between the pros of Australia just too physical for the amateurs of Ireland.

Football (of the soccer variety) is the best sport ever invented, no doubt.

-------------

Posted By: Timotheus
Date Posted: 11-Apr-2007 at 21:37
Soccer is a Brit term, derived thusly:

Association football

Assoc. football

Assoc

'soc

Soccer

The term became current in former colonies of the British crown that developed their own sports which were called "football". Thus, the Americans, Canadians, Australians, New Zealanders, and some Irish call it soccer.

-------------
Opium is the religion of the masses.

From each according to his need, to each according to his ability.

Posted By: King Kang of Mu
Date Posted: 12-Apr-2007 at 08:03
1. Soccer - Favorite Teams: Barcelona, Santos, Arsenal, Inter Milan,PSV
                 Favorite Palyers: Robinho, Ronaldinho, Messi, Diego,  Ribery

2. Basketball- Fav Teams: Pistons, Knicks, Rockets, Suns, Bobcats
                      Fav Players: Amare, B. Wallace, Rasheed, Yao, Maxsil

3. Baseball - Teams: Tigers, Mets, Angels, Indians, Devil Rays
                    Players: Bonderman, Beltran, Jose Reyes, Monroe, Zumaya

4. Boxing - Boxers: Pacquiao, Hopkins, Morales, Mayweather, Cory Spinks

5. Billiards - Efran Reyes, Bustamante, Ga Young Kim, Fisher, Archer

-------------
http://www.allempires.net/forum/forums.html

Posted By: karajoz
Date Posted: 15-Apr-2007 at 08:21

i dont like criquet, oh no - i love it!

some people think its boring. i like going to games with mates.
 go blackcaps!

some might know turkish oil wrestling. its cool too.Big%20smile

-------------

Posted By: Serge L
Date Posted: 11-May-2007 at 03:59
I voted "other"
It's videogames
yes, it's an official sport

Posted By: Justinian
Date Posted: 13-Jul-2007 at 14:52
Well I voted for other, nordic skiing!!!  You want a sport that will kick the crap out of you skiing is it.  It burns more calories than swimming or running.  I doubt most people know that.  But what is with the baseball bashing?  People who say its boring to watch don't understand the STRATEGY involved.  It is facinating to see the matchups between hitter and pitcher then the fielders changing position based on the batters tendencies and the pitchers style.  By boring you must mean fascinating.ApproveCool

-------------
"War is a cowardly escape from the problems of peace."--Thomas Mann

Posted By: Majkes
Date Posted: 21-Jul-2007 at 04:12
My favourit sports are:
to watch - Volleyball ( I'm suprised it isn't on the list, all Miss World candidates say always that this is their favourite sportLOL ) and light athletic
to do myself - Football ( European, not that American parody ), ping-pong, swimming

P.S. Basseball is for old daddies with big bellies so I don't know if we can even call it a sportTongue

Date Posted: 21-Jul-2007 at 08:46
To watch, Beach Volleyball (female variety, lol). The resident vouyer, pervert of AE.

Otherwise, shooting, cricket, squash and to play, man rugby! That is a man's game.

Gridiron? If their ever was a game for wussies, thats it. I don't know why the Yanks are crying so much about body armor, just send the soldiers high school kits over, and they'll be protected from everything up to 155 mm artillery!

-------------

Print Page | Close Window

Bulletin Board Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 9.56a - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2009 Web Wiz - http://www.webwizguide.com