Print Page | Close Window

Schools allowed to ban face veils

Printed From: History Community ~ All Empires
Category: Scholarly Pursuits
Forum Name: Intellectual discussions
Forum Discription: Discuss political and philosophical theories, religious beliefs and other academic subjects
URL: http://www.allempires.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=18704
Printed Date: 25-Apr-2024 at 08:58
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 9.56a - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Schools allowed to ban face veils
Posted By: Aydin
Subject: Schools allowed to ban face veils
Date Posted: 20-Mar-2007 at 14:09
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/education/6466221.stm - http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/education/6466221.stm

Schools will be able to ban pupils from wearing full-face veils on security, safety or learning grounds under new uniforms guidance issued by ministers.

It says efforts must be made to accommodate religious clothing, but stresses the importance of teachers and pupils being able to make eye contact.

It comes after a girl, aged 12, failed in her High Court bid to overturn her Buckinghamshire school's niqab ban.

The Islamic Human Rights Commission said the new guidance was "shocking".

But the Muslim Education Centre welcomed the move - saying that the veil created a "bridge of non-understanding between communities".

The issue of religious dress has become an increasingly complicated one for schools in recent years, with a handful of high profile cases going to court.

But it is the victory by the Buckinghamshire school, which cannot be named for legal reasons, that has prompted the updated guidance.

The school argued the veil made communication between teachers and pupils difficult and thus hampered learning.

Teachers needed to be able to tell if a pupil was enthusiastic, paying attention or even distressed but full-face veils prevented this, it said.

This position was upheld by the High Court - which refused to grant a judicial review - and is expected to form a key part of the guidance.

'Simply shocking'

The guidance says schools need to be able to identify individual pupils in order to maintain good order and spot intruders.

"If a pupil's face is obscured for any reason the teacher may not be able to judge their engagement with learning or secure their participation in discussions and practical activities," it adds.

Schools minister Jim Knight said: "Schools should consult parents and the wider community when setting uniform policy.

"And while they should make every effort to accommodate social, religious or medical requirements of individual pupils, the needs of safety, security and effective learning in the school must always take precedence."

The head teacher of the Buckinghamshire school, who also cannot be named, said it would be very useful to have some clear guidance from the Department for Education and Skills (DfES).

"It's not right that schools should have to be arguing this out case by case," she told the BBC News website.

"Obviously there's a trade-off between schools retaining autonomy over school uniform decisions, on the other hand we will have some very clear guidance from the DfES within which to work."

'Dismayed'

There were divided responses from the Muslim community.

The chairman of the Islamic Human Rights Commission, Massoud Shadjareh, said he was "dismayed" by the DfES guidance.

"Successive ministers dealing with education issues have failed to give proper guidance when requested by human rights campaigners about schools' obligations regarding religious dress, including the head scarf.

"To now proceed to issue guidance against Muslim communities is simply shocking," he said.

But the Muslim Council of Britain's education spokesman, Tahir Alam, said that the new guidance did not "alter the position very much" and said "the vast majority of schools are able to solve these issues locally".

Dr Tag Hargey of the Muslim Education Centre welcomed the guidance.

"When you conceal the face, that actually not only dehumanises the person involved, but also creates a chasm, a gap, a bridge of non-understanding between communities and I think the sooner we can get rid of this veil, this face veiling, this face masking in Muslim societies across Britain, so much the better."

'Equality issue'

Ayshah Ishmael, a teacher at a Muslim girls' school in Preston who wears the niqab away from the classroom, told the BBC wearing the veil promoted equality.

She said: "You're judged for who you are and not what you are, so I think there are two arguments to the whole equality issue."

The Muslim Council of Britain has already urged schools to take into account Muslim pupils' needs to dress modestly and avoid tight-fitting or transparent garments.

The DfES said it was not ordering or advising head teachers to ban the veil, simply confirming that they have the ability to do so if they wish, so long as they carry out proper consultation.

'Breaches'

Association of School and College Leaders' general secretary Dr John Dunford said he was pleased the government is supporting school leaders in upholding school uniforms.

"Repeated and blatant breaches of uniform policy undermine the school ethos," he added.

Education spokesman for the Muslim Council of Britain Tahir Alam said the new guidelines did not alter the position, because the issue remained with governing bodies and communities to resolve.

"The vast majority of schools are able to solve these issues locally, and that should continue to be the case. We have to be sensible in the way we address these issues."

Replies:
Posted By: Aelfgifu
Date Posted: 21-Mar-2007 at 06:02
I kind of agree with the ban. I have no probems with people wearing whatever they like on the streets or in their private lives, but in some places or situations, it is not practical. There is no problem with a head-scarf, as long as the face is visible. In western countries, this is considered a normal politeness towards others. Wearing a face covering veil in class does display a certain unwillingness to adapt to some fundamental values of the country you live in.

We had a similar case recently, exept this was a teacher who wanted to wear a veil. I think that the face of a teacher should be visible to the pupils. If the woman wants to wear it outside of school, it is her choice, but a school has the right to determine how they want their teachers to dress or display.

What makes me wonder is the pick and choose mentality on religion of these women. They want to display a severe religious attitude, but at the same time they want to enjoy the full rights and possibilities of a western society. You cannot have it all: if you want to wear a face veil, you have to deal with the fact that it is not accepted in most occupations in the country you live in. If you want these jobs anyway, you cannot dress like that.

Turning up in drag, or in bikini or so is not accepted either, although it is peoples free decision to wear it in their private time.

Edit - Oh, and Aydin, copy-pasting large pieces of text without reference or comment is considered plagiarism, which is against the CoC, as well as against the law. Please add a link to the source and some motivation as to why you posted this article, as I have a sneaking suspicion you did it simply to provoke.

-------------

Women hold their councils of war in kitchens: the knives are there, and the cups of coffee, and the towels to dry the tears.

Posted By: Scorpian
Date Posted: 21-Mar-2007 at 06:52
I agree with Aelgifu on this issue.
        When living in a host country peeps should adhere to the same cack that we are all expected to follow and not promote themselves as an exception to the rule.
       Common sense should prevail and issues akin to this should be binned from the onset without incurring cost to the tax payers or the legal aid budget.

-------------
Scorpian

Posted By: SearchAndDestroy
Date Posted: 21-Mar-2007 at 10:34
I agree with Aelfgifu 100% too. We had these rules set and they've always applied to every citizen. If you want equal rights, thats apart of it, no special treatment for anyone.

-------------
"A patriot must always be ready to defend his country against his government." E.Abbey

Posted By: Maharbbal
Date Posted: 21-Mar-2007 at 11:59
I've got a major problem though. Wearing a veil, in most situations is not a problem, even in school What is shocking for most of us is to see a 5 year old wearing one and explaining you it so because the women have to be humble (i.e. they represent evil and etc). But fondamentally it doesn't affect the class per se. Admitedly it creates a difference between those who wear it and those who don't. And any social gap may be greatly domageable for the development of the child. But it is really farfeatch in my view.

Then there is the option: uniform for everybody in school, it is ok if they want to dress otherwise at home. After all where's the big deal, take it off when you come in class put it back when you leave school. But what about the sikh for instance? They just can't take off their hair thing, it takes ages and then it lags behind them there is no easy answer unless you decide to play it tough and simply force everybody to follow a centrally decided dress code, a bit as Ataturk did. But it is not an exciting option either.

Finally you have the possibility to say: ok strict dress code in public school, free in private school. But that means you are forcing out the religious minorities out of the social main stream which is definitly very very dangerous because before you know it you have a bunch of integrists in your streets (remember that taliban come from al-talib, the student).

Then there is one last option: designate islam as a clear danger per se and not all religion, and specially discriminate against it. Something quite similar happened in France in the early 20th century: the state attacked the power of the Catholic church which was very mighty still at the time and pretty much left protestants and jews minding their own business. But then again, I'm not sure a major clash is exactly what we want

To sum up, there is no easy answer and I guess rulers must have nightmares and bad headaches just thinking about that!

-------------
I am a free donkey!

Posted By: Brian J Checco
Date Posted: 21-Mar-2007 at 12:04
Agree with Aelfgifu. If someone moves from Pakistan (example) to Britain, it is not Britain that must conform to Pakistani norms, but the Pakistani immigrant to British norms (if they want full acceptance into the community, anyway). We're having a similar issue in America with immigrants wanting to conform the American norms to suit their own tastes; In fact, just recently, some Islamic associations protested the banning of ceremonial knives in schools, as well as the official outlawing of stoning as a judicial punishment. The reaction to their protests here in America was largely one of "shut the hell up"; which I believe is totally acceptable. The culture at large has a right to determine it's own social, political, and cultural norms, and I see no reason why they should have to cater to the whims of minority immigrant groups, so long as the regulations aren't oppressive, anyway (i.e. they don't infringe upon their rights to life, liberty, or property). But when these sorts of whiney people want to change the traditional backbones of a nation (like not walking around armed in the streets, or changing the Pledge of Allegiance, etc), it just gets too much. I think at some point, the governments have a right to tell them "Hey, that's just the way things are here. Get used to it."
Now, that's not to say that they shouldn't be allowed to retain their own cultures (in fact, they should be encouraged to. Variety is the spice of life, so they say). Ethnic and cultural diversity is wonderful, but at some point, there has to be a decision on what's passable in Britain (or any other nation that hosts refugees, be it the Phillipines or Germany), and what's not.

Alright, that may have come off a bit harsh. Let me offer it instead in the form of a parable*:

I, Brian, a white American, am going over to visit my friend Taki in Japan. When I arrive at the airport in Tokyo, she is there to greet me, and she shows me many things in Japan, not all of which I agree with. For instance, we don't go eat certain things because I don't like them, and some traditional Japanese arts I don't want to do, so Taki, as a good hostess, caters to my whininess, even though it slightly inconveniences her. Finally, after a long day of hanging out in the city, we go back to Taki's house. Upon entry, Taki takes off her shoes, which is the tradition there, and requests I do the same. I protest, telling her that "Where I come from, you can keep your shoes on when you walk into a house!"
When Taki asks again, I tell her she is being unfair, and constraining my rights to do things my own way. Taki says, "I'm not asking you to do anything particularly unreasonable; just remove an article of clothing. It is the respectful thing to do in Japan, and if you don't do it, it shows you don't respect me or my traditions. If you can't do a simple thing for your hostess who has done so much for you, I will kindly have to ask you to leave my home."

The End

Admittedly, that's just one way of looking at things, but I think it's fair that people should respect the traditions of someone else's home when they enter. The home is obviously our nation (whatever nation you're from is home), and we all should be afforded respect in our traditional homes. It's just proper, I think.

Eh, feel free to call me old-fashioned...
Cheers.

PS- parable: 

a simple story used to illustrate a moral or spiritual lesson (Oxford English Dictionary)

Posted By: Ovidius
Date Posted: 21-Mar-2007 at 12:14
What makes me wonder is the pick and choose mentality on religion of these women. They want to display a severe religious attitude, but at the same time they want to enjoy the full rights and possibilities of a western society. You cannot have it all: if you want to wear a face veil, you have to deal with the fact that it is not accepted in most occupations in the country you live in. If you want these jobs anyway, you cannot dress like that.

Turning up in drag, or in bikini or so is not accepted either, although it is peoples free decision to wear it in their private time.

Yes but we live in a tolerant and free Western Society. We shouldn't force people to go against the Religious principles in certain cases, 'just because'.

They are somehow being Hypocrites because they live within a Tolerant society and want to wear a veil, which they believe is part of their faith? How is this in anyway hypocritical? Britain as her 'host' nation, is 5% Muslim. That is a significant amount of people. Now until someone can explain to me the real reason why Veils are 'bad' I fail to accept that they should be an exception to the Freedom of our Society.

Surely, an intellegent society can find ways of accomodating difference. Would we find it unacceptable to have a classroom changed because of a Disabled person or someone who had no facial expressions, would they be unteachable? Lets face it, exceptions are made all the time to accomodate all sorts of different religions, ailments and differences. This is a time for us to be resiliant, not to turn around and say, 'they should be banned, because veils are bad'.

Its all down to CHOICE, the pupils should be shown that society is about making responsible choices. If they are responsible enough to wear a veil, even under the pressures of modern life, then so be it.

As for School Uniforms. Full Veils can become part of the School uniform policy. Or do schools want everyone to have the EXACT same haircut, the EXACT same Hair Colour and the EXACT same shoes and the EXACT same hair band, maybe kids with glasses should be banned because they go against the collectivity of the school uniform. Or could we just accept a little individuality somewhere?

The school I've tutored in, doesn't even have school uniforms. Does it make a significant difference to the quality of teaching. I don't think so.

I agree with Aelfgifu 100% too. We had these rules set and they've always applied to every citizen. If you want equal rights, thats apart of it, no special treatment for anyone.

What? Equal Rights has NEVER EVEN MEANT we should become part of the NORM. Are you suggesting there is a 'way of being' and if you are outside of that, then thats basically tough.

I am glad my society isn't like that.

Posted By: Cywr
Date Posted: 21-Mar-2007 at 12:41
I agree with the notiuon that the school has the right to decide for itself what it feels is appropiate.
Never did understand the British (and other cultures') uniform fetish though.

-------------
Arrrgh!!"

Date Posted: 21-Mar-2007 at 12:45
@ Ovidius

I did not use the word Hypocrite anywhere, you did that. I do not see them as hypocritical, just whimsical. And I did not say everyone should adhere to a norm, I said that everyone who wants to be accepted into a society must show some willingness to live in that society.
Your attempts to compare women who wear a veil to handicapped people is distasteful and degrading to both parties. Handicapped people can not help being different, wearing a veil is a free choice.

I am not in favor of school uniforms at all. I just think that in a society where not showing your face is impolite and even insulting, wearing a face veil is not always acceptable. Anyone who wears it anyway, has to face the effects.

In no school anywhere it is allowed to wear a balaclava in class, and no-one finds that strange. In fact, it is considered totally normal that wearing balaclavas is not accepted. Even if I would make a great effort to show that wearing a balaclava is part of my convictions in life, I would still not be able to wear it. In fact, in all schools I know, wearing a hat or cap in class is not allowed. Exeptions however are made for headscarves and turbands for religious reasons. So society here has 'accomodated differences'.

In many jobs, it is required to look representable. If I can get fired for dying my hair green, why not for covering my face?

But toleration of culture or religion only goes as far as the fundamental values of the society. We do not tolerate female circumcision, even though it is an established cultural habit elsewhere. Showing your face to people is also a value of western society.

-------------

Women hold their councils of war in kitchens: the knives are there, and the cups of coffee, and the towels to dry the tears.

Date Posted: 21-Mar-2007 at 12:46
Some of our local schools even took to banning Christmas celebration in case they offended minority groups; instead they had themselves  something called a festival of light.
   Why should we ban our own religious festivals out of fear of offending anyone.
              The majority suffer so the minority can't make complaintConfused

anyways enough is enough and if peeps can't accept a host countries laws and such then they can always leave.

true story:
       Two girls working in a government office; one a muslim and the other a catholic. The muslim girl was allowed to cover her face with a veil akin to her beliefs but the catholic girl was told to remove her crucifix from around her neck in case it offended the other lass.Disapprove
                    Who are the ones really being victimised?

-------------
Scorpian

Date Posted: 21-Mar-2007 at 13:42
Originally posted by Aelfgifu

@ Ovidius

I did not use the word Hypocrite anywhere, you did that. I do not see them as hypocritical, just whimsical. And I did not say everyone should adhere to a norm, I said that everyone who wants to be accepted into a society must show some willingness to live in that society.
Your attempts to compare women who wear a veil to handicapped people is distasteful and degrading to both parties. Handicapped people can not help being different, wearing a veil is a free choice.

No, that is not the point I am making. This is a FREE SOCIETY, we make exceptions for people who have disabilities, strict beliefs or differences in sexuality. Most of the country isn't gay, buy we don't ban same sex relationships because the kids will get laughed, bullied, or face some other abuse?

Wearing a veil is not a free choice in the minds of the people that wear them.

In no school anywhere it is allowed to wear a balaclava in class, and no-one finds that strange. In fact, it is considered totally normal that wearing balaclavas is not accepted. Even if I would make a great effort to show that wearing a balaclava is part of my convictions in life, I would still not be able to wear it. In fact, in all schools I know, wearing a hat or cap in class is not allowed. Exeptions however are made for headscarves and turbands for religious reasons. So society here has 'accomodated differences'.

So what, how are balaclavas comparable to Veils? Where is the evidence that someone needs to wear a balaclave. If they had something to hide on their face, a face mask would be acceptable. Expression of Faith in this nation is part of our rights, veils are part of the beliefs of certain women. Banning them should be against the law.

In many jobs, it is required to look representable. If I can get fired for dying my hair green, why not for covering my face?

Thats ridiculous. You dye your hair greed for what reason? Fun? Its quite clear that dying your hair green in this way is stupid. Wearing a veil is part of a religion. Covering you hair in a Turban would not be unnacceptable.

But toleration of culture or religion only goes as far as the fundamental values of the society. We do not tolerate female circumcision, even though it is an established cultural habit elsewhere. Showing your face to people is also a value of western society.

How is showing your face an important part of Western Social values? We live in a Multicultural society, part of that IDEAL isthat we can cope with differences in culture, that differ from the mainstream. I am not offended by veils whatsoever, they do not offend me, they are not degrading my way of life.

Short skirts, tight shirts, low cut tops - they offend me, seriously. I don't want to see peoples breasts.

true story:        Two girls working in a government office; one a muslim and the other a catholic. The muslim girl was allowed to cover her face with a veil akin to her beliefs but the catholic girl was told to remove her crucifix from around her neck in case it offended the other lass

How is that true? The Crucifix case was British Airways as far as I was aware. They told her to remove it because it was against their uniform policiy, they later removed that after she complained. She continues to wear her crucifix.

Wearing a Crucifix is, in my opinion, a sin. It is not part of the Christian faith. But If people believe that they need to wear a crucifix, so long as it does not pose a risk to other people or the person (so you shouldn't wear a crucifix if you are a fireman for example).

Some of our local schools even took to banning Christmas celebration in case they offended minority groups; instead they had themselves  something called a festival of light.

Well this is positive discrimination. What i find ridiculous is that it is used as a reason to why veils should be banned. Christmas shouldn't be celebrated in schools, not because of the offence it causes (nor is that the reason it is banned), but because Christmas is a Christian festival. Most of the Nations population are atheists, why should they be forced to celebrate Christmas. Unless you are talking about Father Christmas, which shouldnt' be celebrated simply because it promotes Consumerism.

Anyhow, Wearing a veil does not disclude you from society. IT is merely a reflection of the increasing narrow mind of the population. If you want to pomote freedom in society, you cannot make exceptions and ban people from 'wearing' something. The only case where this is acceptable is if something is offensive - so swear words for example. In the case of Schools and uniforms, there should be Exceptions for those that are different, in whatever way they are different. We should CELEBRATE DIVERSITY, not push everyone to be the same.

Freedom of Religion is part of the Universal Declaration of Human rights and Article 9 of the European Convention of Human Rights. We cannot have free religion, then make exceptions for parts of other relgions that we don't like. This is the real hypocracy here. I'd rather keep my freedoms, rather then allow them to be broken down. Although, I've noticed that people would rather worship division and hatred, rather then freedom, even though they preach freedom constantly. Freedom has come to mean the right to be a Western, Capatalist, Democratic, Middle Class member of society.

Date Posted: 21-Mar-2007 at 17:27
The British airways crucifix case was not the case I was referring to and had it been this case I would have related it as such.Confused
    Were I to say wearing a veil in my opinion is a sin and were I to say your religious festivals should be banned because to me they are pagan festivals then I'm sure you'd be outraged.
           Seems we've all to respect your faith and your religious values but you can demean our way of life upon a whim.

I don't reckon to participate in this topic of discussion any further for fear of speaking my mind .Angry

-------------
Scorpian

Date Posted: 21-Mar-2007 at 19:40
Yes, but reguardless of what you think of the Veil, as anything. You surely accept the right for people to wear it based on their beliefs?

Were you to say my religious festivals should be banned, because tehy are pagan, i would be outraged. This is EXACTLY why I am against the banning of Veils.

Seems we've all to respect your faith and your religious values but you can demean our way of life upon a whim.

Respect my Faith? Do you even know what my faith it?

Who is demeaning anyones way of life?

You don't have to respect peoples religious values, just respect their right to have faith and religious values within a tolerant society. Why? Because that is one of the principles the society is built upon.

If there is another case of such discrimination against a Catholic Girl, she should take it to the European Court or just to a British Court. She has had her rights breached and I certainly believe she has a right to wear a crucifix. I don't see why any Muslim would be offended by a Crucifix?

Posted By: Adalwolf
Date Posted: 21-Mar-2007 at 23:31
I think people should be allowed whatever the want, as long they wear something. Banning head scarves, to me, is clearly targeted at muslims, and will infringe upon their right to practice their religion, which is wrong. I disagree with this law/rule. 

-------------
Concrete is heavy; iron is hard--but the grass will prevail.
     Edward Abbey

Posted By: Omar al Hashim
Date Posted: 22-Mar-2007 at 03:17
This decision is clearly targeted at the muslims and relfects upon nothing by the racist direction Europe is headed in. Freedom is apparently only a right for you, its ok to take it away from anyone else. Its stinks of arrogance, naturally the European way is the better way, they know all right, oh great wonderful masters. This decision will do nothing but create division and mistrust between ethnic groups. No non-muslim European should have banned the Niqab. A Muslim European should have banned the Niqab. Because the Niqab is a ridiculous form of dress that has nothing to do with Islam. Tableekis get all carried away with acting like other Tableekis and completely miss the whole point of Islam. The Niqab is not modest. Especially in the West. And immodesty is unislamic. In addition the Niqab is completely unpractical. You can't see who you speaking to, you don't know whos under it, therefore the wearer can't work (I'm rather surprised they try to actually). I hate the Niqab but I'll be damned before I side against the muslims even if they are Wrong.

Also Hijab (veil) is not Niqab. Don't confuse them please.

Originally posted by Brain

If someone moves from Pakistan (example) to Britain, it is not Britain that must conform to Pakistani norms, but the Pakistani immigrant to British norms (if they want full acceptance into the community, anyway).

Pakistanis don't wear hijab or niqab bar the few tableekis. Why when people talk about hijab they always quote Pakistan. Pakistani women show their hair!

Sorry if I offended anyone*. I had to get it out of me. I just wanted to show how this is going to be received.

*Unless you deserved to be offended of course.
(Any Tableekis deserve to get offended)

-------------

Date Posted: 22-Mar-2007 at 05:31
I don't understand why people are getting so worked up over this. Muslimas are not being asked to walk the streets naked... Muslims are not asked to forsake their faith...

I am not intolerant of religions of convictions of anyone (exept, right-wing politics, I am defenately intolerant of them). The only thing I said is that I think schools and companies have the right to ask people who work for them to show their faces.

If they want to wear whatever in the streets, fine. If they want to wear a scarf covering their hair and face, fine. If they want to pray during workdays, fine. All I think is that when you want to cover your face in western society, you should not be surprised people reacting less than joyous to that.

What on earth is the problem with that? Why is this suddenly a debate about muslim-bashing? And what on earth does this have to do at muslims anyway? There are a lot of muslims who get on fine without covering their faces. In fact, I do not think that Islam specifically states that the face should be fully covered.

And Ovidius, the wearing of the veil is a voluntary action. If it is not a free choice, we should defenately ban it, because if women are forced to wear it, it is degradation and abuse. And that is illegal for sure.

-------------

Date Posted: 22-Mar-2007 at 05:41
Well thats sort of what I was trying to say Elfi, if there was no perception of religious bias in this I would be in favour of it. However the fear is that this is the first step towards other (actual) intolerance, and that this is a victory for those with anti-muslim agendas. For that reason I cannot support this law because I cannot support anything that could potentially lead to the persecution of the muslims in europe.

I don't agree with people who wear the Niqab, but in this climate I cannot side against them when the people who mean us both harm are the vocally supporting this. Its all Us vs Them, and you have to stay with the Us cause you don't trust what the Them will do next.

-------------

Date Posted: 22-Mar-2007 at 06:28

Well, I am defenately not supportive of a general ban on face veils. I just do think schools and companies have the right to make a policy on that...

I guess this means that women who want to wear that veil and work anyway might have to settle for telephone jobs... I can imagine a company not wanting them behind the counter. Sorry if that is offensive, but I would not appreciate being helped at the counter by a person whose face is covered. I find it impolite in the extreme.

And I do still wonder at the women who wear these veils and do a full time job anyway. As far as I know, the same branch of Islam that wants women to cover up like that is also the branch that is not too enhusiastic about women working anyway...

-------------

Posted By: Guests
Date Posted: 22-Mar-2007 at 06:46
Its the womens choice. Or is choice only limited to a list of approved things now?

Holland, the ultra socialist country where the government carefully regulates the spiritually degraded lives of the populace through legalization of Marijuana and prostitution supermarkets. - Vulkan02

???????????????????????

-------------

Date Posted: 22-Mar-2007 at 07:10
Those are Vulkans words not mine! I wash my hands of them...

I just found them funny.

-------------

Date Posted: 22-Mar-2007 at 07:43

Well, I am defenately not supportive of a general ban on face veils. I just do think schools and companies have the right to make a policy on that...

I guess this means that women who want to wear that veil and work anyway might have to settle for telephone jobs... I can imagine a company not wanting them behind the counter. Sorry if that is offensive, but I would not appreciate being helped at the counter by a person whose face is covered. I find it impolite in the extreme.

And I do still wonder at the women who wear these veils and do a full time job anyway. As far as I know, the same branch of Islam that wants women to cover up like that is also the branch that is not too enhusiastic about women working anyway...

Why do you find it offensive? What is so impolite about it?

It doesn't particularly matter about branches of Islam, its freedom of religion. If they believe veils are important, so be it.

If you think schools and companies are allowed to ban it, what about homosexuals? Where does the line of discrimination stop? If Schools and Companies can discriminate freely, what is the point of anti-discrimination laws anyway?

On top of all this, why does it even matter. Why do people get so outraged about this. There are very few women wearing veils, they are not anyones life. If you are offended by a Muslim women at the counter, go to a different counter or a different store. What is worst about this, is trying to somehow put it into the 'interests' of the Muslims at the schools. They will of course be better of learning about the intolerance of society and learn more at school without a veil, than if they were just left alone to wear a veil and disrupt no one.

Its constantly back to the idea of creating a normative society, based on central principles of what society should be like.

Posted By: Mortazaa
Date Posted: 22-Mar-2007 at 07:52
If they believe veils are important, so be it.

Well said,veil is not islamic(acording to me.), but I have no right  to interfere others job..

I should find discrimination at school is unacceptable. I dont care much about companies.

Posted By: Styrbiorn
Date Posted: 22-Mar-2007 at 08:05
Originally posted by Ovidius

Why do you find it offensive? What is so impolite about it?

At least here it's simply very impolite not to show your face to the one you're speaking to and doing it makes people uneasy, which is probably a main reason to why veils are generally disliked. Guess the same goes for her?

Date Posted: 22-Mar-2007 at 08:18
At least here it's simply very impolite not to show your face to the one you're speaking to and doing it makes people uneasy, which is probably a main reason to why veils are generally disliked. Guess the same goes for her?

I think forcing some one to not wear something is more impolite.(Specially, when this wearing is related with religion)

Date Posted: 22-Mar-2007 at 08:29
Ovidius, you are ranting. If you cannot have a normal discussion about the subject without calling anyone who disagrees a racist, I have no interest in continuing this. I will not tolerate being implied a racist or islamophobic again!

Like Syrbiorn said, it it generally impolite here to hide your face. That is our culture. It has nothing to do with creating a 'normative' society. There is ample opportunity in our culture to express beliefs or personal preferences without being offensive to others.

Please stop comparing this to handicapped and homosexual people, it is completely invalid and very insulting. First because being handicapped or homosexual is not a choice, second because homosxuality in particular is something that is not in anybodies face, and thirdly because asking people to please not cover their faces when interacting with others has nothing to do with discrimination.

Discrimination is when people are judged on religion, sexuality, looks, race or background. This is not the case here. People are being judged on behaviour. Behaviour which is, once again, not inseperable from religion, as most muslims do not care about face veils and as Islam does not specifically support them.

And once again, I do not care what people wear in the streets, this is about specific situations.

-------------

Date Posted: 22-Mar-2007 at 08:44
schools are more than specific situations.

Infact, they are core of society building and changing actions and idea of people. So good weapon for asimilation.

Date Posted: 22-Mar-2007 at 09:04
How is it insulting to compare it to other forms of discrimination? Discrimination IS the problem here. People are treating a specific group of people differently, they are clearly singling Muslim Women out here. I see discrimnation as a single issue - Handicapped people, Homosexuals, women, relligion, race, nationality etc. That is why I bring them up, not to offend you and why is it insulting at all? You cannot discuss an issue without drawing up comparisons?

I have two issues that I'm trying to understand here. Where does the line stop with discrimination, if you make an exception based on veils, why not against other minority groups. You are distinguishing the groups based on what you call 'choice', by this you mean 'physical choice' Veiled women can take the veil off, and other groups cannot change. This i understand, except when you place the faith of the women into the picture - to which those women believe they physically cannot show themselves to Men. Now I think people should not be allowed to wear veils, except in matters of faith, that is all.

thirdly because asking people to please not cover their faces when interacting with others has nothing to do with discrimination.

No, it isn't. We still have freedom of assosciation. I don't think that in all areas of society, the veil as appropriate. A police officer for instance. However, in most day to day jobs, there is no reason why the Veil is a bad thing. Not to mention the fact that most women who wear the veil don't work. The discrimination is not the personal choices of people, it is the direct creation of rules within companies/schools to stop people from wearing something that is seen as part of the religion. This is an institutional level of discrimination, not a personal choice as you are talking about. Like I said, based on your own choices, you do not have to deal with veiled women, surely?

I am not implying you are racist or an Islamophobe or any such thing. I study difference between societies. This sort of attitude interests me intensely. I'm rather interested in where you are coming from. So the ohter thing I want to know about is why it offends you? So you find the non showing of a face to be impolite? Why? Do you see it as a cultural thing or a personal thing?

I don't understand how you can seperate this from religion. By placing what you and others understand about the Islamic faith, and not just creating normative behaiviour, you are even creating an Islamic normal. If someone believes something is part of their faith, just with crucifixes, then its part of their faith. Cracking down on those articles is discriminatory.

Its hard enough for Muslims anyway. In Britain Muslims are more likely to be unemployed than White people, in a similar fashion to black people. Now this is obviously not ALL to do with discrimination, but I think it is extremely closely linked. By giving companies another way of deciding on which groups of people they employ, you give them ANOTHER loophole.

What I hate msot about this, is that most people complaining about veils do not ever seen the veil in their lives. The amount of veiled women in employment is small, the amount of veiled girls in schools outside of large Muslim areas, is small. Why do we need to target something that is not causing a problem?

So its about specific situations? What specific situations are you talking about. When you have meetings with veiled women?

Please stop getting worked up about this.

Posted By: Lotus
Date Posted: 22-Mar-2007 at 09:19

The whole point about wearing a school uniform is that there is no freedom of choice in what you wear.

You are all supposed to look the same no matter what your background.

Everybody is discriminated against, however some allowances have been made for other religions in that Muslims are allowed head scarves, Sikhs are allowed turbans and Jews skull caps, which all seems perfectly fair and reasonable to me.

Surely Muslims are not required to wear full face veils, its just that some would like to wear them.

Well I would have liked to wear jeans and tee shirt when at school but I wasnt allowed to.

Apart from anything will there not be a problem identifying the various pupils wearing veils ?

Other than that, I like the cultural diversity in this country, within a 10 minute walk on the Edgware road in London you can pass dozens of Lebanese, Turkish, Iranian cafes and restaurants and pass people from dozens of different cultural backgrounds.

Date Posted: 22-Mar-2007 at 09:26
@Ovidius
To take the example this all started about: a girl in school wearing a veil. I do not think it strange that this can be found unwanted. A teacher needs to see the face of his/her pupil to see reaction. How can you teach something to a girl if you cannot see if she understands what you are saying? You cannot see if she is paying attention? She could be sleeping under there... or she could be crying.

And you are contradicting yourself on the education issue. You say girls who want to wear the veil should not be send to private schools to keep them in society. But by wearing a veil they place themselves outside of it. It cannot be both ways: either they are allowed to stick to their own beliefs, and in this case there is no problem with them going to private schools who advocate these beliefs, or they must be kept withing the greater society, which means they should not be allowed to place themselves outside of it by wearing a veil.

Your argument about 'faith is faith' is silly. Why should we not be allowed to question faith? Whatever that faith might be? We have no problem rejecting Scientology. We have no problem judging the Catholic church's position on contraceptives.
Should we just accept muslim men beating their wives and daugthers in name of faith, even though it is against our laws and even though for many muslims this is in no way seen as part of Islam? Just because they claim that that faith is their faith?

As for the discrimination, I already explained myself above clearly. I see no need to repeat myself.

And I already said, yes, not showing your face is a cultural thing. I once got a negative mark on my work-evaluation selling coffee at the train station for not making enough eye-contact with my clients.

As for the small numbers of women involved: should we ignore a problem because it is small? And the number is growing fast. And it is causing a problem, because it increases intolerance and misunderstanding.

@ Lotus
I like cultural diversity as well. But face-veils do little to enhance it, in my opinion.

-------------

Date Posted: 22-Mar-2007 at 10:29
Unless your going to a Religious private school, Religion has no part in School. Thats what I was always told, and I agree.
You think it's descrimination for not allowing a child to wear something they barely understand? Well wait til they get to school and kids there who don't understand it at all start picking on them? Why would you want your child to stick out like a sore thumb?
It will cause distractions, and it will cause problems. Hell, I remember when kids were picked on for dressing alittle out of the ordinary, now you want them to be allowed to dress pretty much Alien to what society is used to? That is asking for problems and no child should have to go through it in school.
Kids are some of the worse when it comes to discrimination because they don't understand their words yet, and that could affect a child for a very long time.

Keep'em out of school. A teacher can't have a Crucifix or talk about Religion in school, so I think people can risk not covering their face in a sealed off building for 6 hours.

-------------
"A patriot must always be ready to defend his country against his government." E.Abbey

Date Posted: 22-Mar-2007 at 11:37

I think main problem was  that some  people think face veil is bad.(I dont see any sensible reason after this.) So they tolerate it at street but not at school. It is sad these people see  themself ethically superior.

People should not tolerate(Like a father toleration to his child) each  other,  people  should  respect rights of different people.

Date Posted: 22-Mar-2007 at 14:14
Etnically superior? That sort of goes against what the West is about, atleast in the US. We give alot of rights to minorities. And since when does a relgion have to do with ethnicity?
Our public systems have nothing to do with "Ethnic Superiority". I can't believe thats your arguement for something you don't agree with.

Schools don't want it because it creates are target for ridicule and a distraction.

There are more cons then there are Pros for having it in school. Infact I don't think their is a pro quality for it in school, it doesn't help you to learn quicker does it?

-------------

Date Posted: 22-Mar-2007 at 16:41
I think we all agree in being open-minded, and accepting of foreigners in our countries (whatever country that may be)... but in no way do I see why the host country needs to change their own laws to accomodate to others' beliefs. Being open-minded and tolerant is wonderful, but there's such a thing as being so open-minded your brain falls out of the hole in your skull. I think at some point, the host country should be allowed to draw the line in the sand and tell people to suck it up. Besides, it seems only the western world holds these ideals. I know western women who have gone to middle-eastern nations and refused to cover up, and they have been harassed, heckled, and even threatened. Shows how 'universal' these 'globalized' ideals of 'open-mindedness' really are.
Cheers.

Date Posted: 22-Mar-2007 at 17:35
Etnically superior? That sort of goes against what the West is about, atleast in the US. We give alot of rights to minorities.

Well, You give a lot of right to minorities? You give? That is excatly what I mean. You are giving nothing to them. These are already their rights. I hope you did see my point.

I think we all agree in being open-minded, and accepting of foreigners in our countries (whatever country that may be)...

My friend, It is not your country. It is both your and their country. So you are accepting them to their country?

Posted By: Zagros
Date Posted: 22-Mar-2007 at 17:36
They don't have to be iuniversal to be enlightened.  I personally do not see any problem with the head scarf should any woman or girl wish to wear it, since it is her prerogative.

I think "bans" on any kind of garb, religious or otherwise, are draconian and backwards in nature.  The agenda seems to be more of forced assimilation than anything else.

Face veils, on the other hand, are simply ridiculous - why hide the face? Such a thing is not congruent with an open society.

-------------

Date Posted: 22-Mar-2007 at 17:42
Well, You give a lot of right to minorities? You give? That is excatly what I mean. You are giving nothing to them. These are already their rights. I hope you did see my point.
I'm talking about more rights that put them above equality. Why? Because of a horrible past and a dark time in history. Plus there are still racist individuals.
But what your discussing has more to do with our laws then individual thoughts. And their my friend is why I question your idea of Ethinic Superiority. Our laws don't have them for the majority at all.
My friend, It is not your country. It is both your and their country. So you are accepting them to their country?
Nope, he was right, America belongs to Americans. We accept others to come into our nation, to become apart of us, to add to our culture, but not to change our laws and country to make it one they came from. Religions don't belong in secular buildings, so the head scarf doesn't either.

-------------

Date Posted: 22-Mar-2007 at 18:13
Good points, Search. America is, well, for Americans. We have our traditions, our culture, and our way of life, and when people come over here to make their way in the world, they ought to have to adapt around the pre-existing culture; not the other way around. However, it is the responsibility of the host nation not to oppress or coerce the immigrants into abandonign their own culture, but at some point, the two come to a point of contention (a cultural 'head-butt,' if you will), and in that situation it is not the pre-existing government that should have to change, but the immigrant in question. And, as Search said, religion has no place in secular buildings anyway. If you can't celebrate christmas festivities in schools, then people can't wear obvious religious dress in school. A cross or a star of David can be worn on a chain around the neck, hidden, but a veil is not only public (publicity of your ethnicity, I'm okay with; turbans, burkas, etc), but the fact that a veil conceals the person's face is disruptive. It would be like if I wore a mask to school; disruptive. It's just not how we do business.
Cheers.

Date Posted: 22-Mar-2007 at 18:21
Originally posted by Lotus

The whole point about wearing a school uniform is that there is no freedom of choice in what you wear.

You are all supposed to look the same no matter what your background.

Everybody is discriminated against, however some allowances have been made for other religions in that Muslims are allowed head scarves, Sikhs are allowed turbans and Jews skull caps, which all seems perfectly fair and reasonable to me.

Surely Muslims are not required to wear full face veils, its just that some would like to wear them.

Well I would have liked to wear jeans and tee shirt when at school but I wasnt allowed to.

Apart from anything will there not be a problem identifying the various pupils wearing veils ?

Other than that, I like the cultural diversity in this country, within a 10 minute walk on the Edgware road in London you can pass dozens of Lebanese, Turkish, Iranian cafes and restaurants and pass people from dozens of different cultural backgrounds.

Very good points about the uniforms in schools, but I want to develop an idea further...

When schools enforce uniforms, they're not discriminating against people; they're merely setting a code of what is acceptable dress, and what is not. It is respectful to show up to school well-dressed, as opposed to showing up in ratty jeans and a t-shirt. The uniform shows that you respect the institution enough to abide by it's rules. It's not discrimination. Just like in the workforce, you are expected to wear a shirt and tie; it's not discriminating against sloppy-dressers, it's instilling an idea of respect, standards, and community in a group that dress alike and work towards a common goal.

Calling people having expectations of conduct or dress discrimination is really rather immature. It's the real world. Put up or shut up. There's a lot of stuff I disagree with out there, and I wish that I didn't have to dress up for work or special functions, but it's a respect thing. I show my boss respect by showing up for work in what I am expected to wear, and I show up to weddings in a suit because it's respectful to the bride and groom. See where I'm going with this?
Cheers.

Date Posted: 22-Mar-2007 at 18:25
So Brian, you think people should hide items of religous faith? Is religion now a dirty little secret that is only acceptable in the home? That is just wrong! People should proclaim their faith openly and unashemedly. I know I do. I wear my Thor's Hammer on a chain 'round my neck every day, outside my shirt! Let people express theri religion however they wish! Governments have no damn right to restrict religion! If girls want to wear veils as a sign of their faith then let them!

-------------
     Edward Abbey

Date Posted: 22-Mar-2007 at 18:51
I think what Brian said is that the chains that people wear with symbols don't scream out who you are and what you are. It doesn't cause conflict or distractions.
Secular buildings shouldn't support a religion at all. We aren't allowed to wear masks, or even hats, why should a religion get special treatment to wear what they want? You want equality, then keep it to a minimum.

-------------

Date Posted: 22-Mar-2007 at 18:53
Originally posted by S&D

Etnically superior? That sort of goes against what the West is about, atleast in the US. We give alot of rights to minorities. And since when does a relgion have to do with ethnicity?
Our public systems have nothing to do with "Ethnic Superiority". I can't believe thats your arguement for something you don't agree with.

Not the US, Europe. The north Europeans do go around acting like they are ethically superior (just listen to one of Blairs speeches), Americans don't.

Originally posted by S&D

Nope, he was right, America belongs to Americans. We accept others to come into our nation, to become apart of us, to add to our culture, but not to change our laws and country to make it one they came from. Religions don't belong in secular buildings, so the head scarf doesn't either.

Americans = The sum of all migrants to America. And there was no niqab ban before now, why should there be after now?

-------------

Date Posted: 22-Mar-2007 at 19:21
Originally posted by Omar al Hashim

Americans = The sum of all migrants to America. And there was no niqab ban before now, why should there be after now?

Well said! Why ban them now?

-------------
     Edward Abbey

Date Posted: 22-Mar-2007 at 19:32
I don't recall ever seeing anyone wearing a veil in school. I see the head scarf, but a veil is going to far. It serves no purpose at all and will only cause more disruption through discrimnation then anything else. There are no Pros for it, just cons.

-------------

Date Posted: 22-Mar-2007 at 19:38
Originally posted by SearchAndDestroy

I don't recall ever seeing anyone wearing a veil in school. I see the head scarf, but a veil is going to far. It serves no purpose at all and will only cause more disruption through discrimnation then anything else. There are no Pros for it, just cons.

Nonsense. There wa a girl at my highschool who wore a veil. I thought nothing of it. I was proud that nobody, as far as I know, criticized her for wearing it.

-------------
     Edward Abbey

Date Posted: 22-Mar-2007 at 19:45
I've seen people get picked on for shirts they wore, it's ridiculous what people will tease about. You may be one case, but for something this alien to culture, I positive there will be multiple occasions of discrimination in school.
There's still no pros or cons for it. Didn't someone in this thread even say it isn't a requirement of Islam?

-------------

Date Posted: 22-Mar-2007 at 19:57
Are you therefore, saying that a Civic faith is more important than a religious faith. Being Secular is more important than being Religious.

We need to protect people from Religions basically.

There are many things alien to culture that go on in schools, besides religion and veils.

Date Posted: 22-Mar-2007 at 19:58
Are you therefore, saying that a Civic faith is more important than a religious faith. Being Secular is more important than being Religious.

There are many things alien to culture that go on in schools, besides religion and veils.

Date Posted: 22-Mar-2007 at 20:08
Didn't say anything was more important, just that personal beliefs don't always belong in the public system ment to educate.
Why would we want to do that, your being pretty extreme.
Like what? So far I've seen types of cloths and hair styles banned because they were to extreme, and thats with famliar cultures.

-------------

Date Posted: 22-Mar-2007 at 20:36

I agree with the rationale that Religion has no place in schools, because of schools being multifaith. I don't disagree that things like prayers in assemblies and other such religious activities are perhaps misplaced in a school. But I seriously believe this shouldn't extend to children hiding their faith.

The issue of Veils vs things like Hair styles I believe can be rationalised based on intent. If kids are using hair style as a form of dissent, then surely those hair styles should be banned, compared to veils which are only ever worn as a representation of faith.

Date Posted: 22-Mar-2007 at 20:47
Does a veil promote education at all?
There is no point for it in school. All it will do is cause distraction. Many teachers here even believe it takes away the ability to really communicate with the child as facial expressions are apart of communication.
It's funny that we are discussing this, just now CNN had a debate on it.

So I brought up what up a question before, is this really a requirement of Islam, that women must hide their faces? Or is this a cultural thing?

-------------

Date Posted: 22-Mar-2007 at 21:58
I say lets take it one step further and liberate these females by allowing them to take off the veils too.

More moves such as these should be made to protect the Western identity.

-------------

Date Posted: 23-Mar-2007 at 00:33
Originally posted by S&D

I've seen people get picked on for shirts they wore, it's ridiculous what people will tease about. You may be one case, but for something this alien to culture, I positive there will be multiple occasions of discrimination in school.

Thats not the laws problem.

And could everyone stop using veil. Its confusing and I think different people are using the same word for different things. The proper terminology is Hijab for the head scarf and Niqab for the face covering as well.

-------------

Posted By: Alparslan
Date Posted: 23-Mar-2007 at 02:21

I support the ban on face veil. This is not related with Islam and being a Muslim.

Face veil is nothing more than a primitive middle ages Middle Eastern tradition. So it can not be represented as "I should wear face veil because I am a Muslim".

As being a Muslim I am strongly opposing to those who combine face veil, head scarf with Islam. Islam can not be explained or understood with a piece of fabric.

Just look at inside of your head not head scarf. Focus on smile not face veil. Do not hot up by seeing a hair of a woman. If you can not control yourself it means that your self-control is not strong enough to be a good Muslim. To control yourself you do not have the right to force women to live as canned food.

Every years millions of animals are sacrificed for pilgrime in Macca. But we are killing millions of animals and throw away. Is this worship? Is this Islam? No!  This is a clear massacre. Islam did not say you just kill the animals. Islam says help to the poor people and worry about them. Give the meats to the poors....

Exactly the same situation with face veil. You are misinterpreting Islam and you are destroying it. If Saudis are too much worry about Islam so they can start to make an organization in Macca to send these millions of tons of meats to the poor people of the world. They have money for this but if you focus too much on fabrics on head you may forget what is inside of the head.

The face veil is a matter of freedom not religion. Nobody and any kind of "belief" can obscure the wonderful smiles of small children, young girls.

Date Posted: 23-Mar-2007 at 06:07

Not the US, Europe. The north Europeans do go around acting like they are ethically superior (just listen to one of Blairs speeches), Americans don't.

Now that is not very kind, Omar. I do not consider myself ethically superior. I just prefer a face to talk to. With facial expressions and such. Not a piece of fabric.

S&D. I disagree with you on the religions on schools things. People are allowed to show their religion, if they want to. Wearing crosses, stars, skullcaps, turbans and Hijans are fine by me. But wearing a niquab does not express religion, it expresses a disregard for the people around you.

-------------

Date Posted: 23-Mar-2007 at 06:51
Alparslan, well said.

Posted By: Zagros
Date Posted: 23-Mar-2007 at 06:57
Even though I am in support of the ban, how the HELL does it protect western identity?  Are face veils an infectious disease that will spread to other muslims as well as non-muslims?  What a ridiculous statement Aidin.

-------------

Posted By: Reginmund
Date Posted: 23-Mar-2007 at 08:20

Not the US, Europe. The north Europeans do go around acting like they are ethically superior (just listen to one of Blairs speeches)

Actually we are, but we're born that way so it's not really our fault.

As for the face veil issue in schools, I'm a firm believer in school uniforms (not practiced in this country) so it's not hard to make up my mind. Make everyone wear the same and you eliminate issues relating to clothes and fashion, religion, identity or whatever. The school is an institution for learning, not a catwalk to show off fashion or a temple where you demonstrate how religious you are.

-------------

Posted By: Mortaza
Date Posted: 23-Mar-2007 at 08:43
I'm talking about more rights that put them above equality. Why? Because of a horrible past and a dark time in history. Plus there are still racist individuals.

above?You let them  to live their own culture a bit.above?

But what your discussing has more to do with our laws then individual thoughts. And their my friend is why I question your idea of Ethinic Superiority. Our laws don't have them for the majority at all.

Your ethinic superiority is that. You see your own(personal) culture better and you tolerate other cultures. 

Infact, you are only giving a bit right, that they already should own.

America belongs to Americans. We accept others to come into our nation, to become apart of us, to add to our culture, but not to change our laws and country to make it one they came from. Religions don't belong in secular buildings, so the head scarf doesn't either.

How good are you.  It is good you permit them to live too..

Good points, Search. America is, well, for Americans. We have our traditions, our culture, and our way of life, and when people come over here to make their way in the world, they ought to have to adapt around the pre-existing culture;

why? are you better than them? do your culture better than their culture? do you own USA more than them? why should they follow your culture?

why not, all americans are not like native americans?

americans are a little different. They are more open minded to others.(Maybe, having too much different ethics helped them much.) But I am not talking about nations but people...

They love themself much because they let others to live their own culture  a bit.

There's still no pros or cons for it. Didn't someone in this thread even say it isn't a requirement of Islam?

No,  Islam dont require it, but It is not important what islam want or not. Important thing is what  these people want.

I should also say, I dont see much difference to hide face or other part of body. It is not bad, but only different. It would be better,, If people stop to accept this thing, as a bad habit.(Cultural superiority?)

Alparsan,pls stop to impose your understanding of islam to us.

I should also add, nobody have right to force someone to show part of her body.(Face, leg or asses, scienfically, none of these are more holy than others.)

I think people stop to impose their ideas to others. Noone forced you to show part of your body. So dont force others for this.

niquab is nor evil not bad. It is just different. So It does not need tolerance but acceptance.

Date Posted: 23-Mar-2007 at 08:49
As for the face veil issue in schools, I'm a firm believer in school uniforms (not practiced in this country) so it's not hard to make up my mind. Make everyone wear the same and you eliminate issues relating to clothes and fashion, religion, identity or whatever.

Good idea, let all people use veil So We will also eliminate issues relating to colour, face and whatever..

I am sure, It is difficult for a child to accept difference than older people.. It is a know fact, older people are more ready for new ideas, cultures and people. arent they?

Posted By: Lotus
Date Posted: 23-Mar-2007 at 09:45

Very good points about the uniforms in schools, but I want to develop an idea further...

When schools enforce uniforms, they're not discriminating against people; they're merely setting a code of what is acceptable dress, and what is not. It is respectful to show up to school well-dressed, as opposed to showing up in ratty jeans and a t-shirt. The uniform shows that you respect the institution enough to abide by it's rules. It's not discrimination. Just like in the workforce, you are expected to wear a shirt and tie; it's not discriminating against sloppy-dressers, it's instilling an idea of respect, standards, and community in a group that dress alike and work towards a common goal.

Well o.k. its not discrimination as such, the point I was trying to make was wearing a school uniform treats everybody the same, regardless of race or religion.

If someone wants to display their Muslim upbringing then isnt wearing the normal school uniform with the Hijab enough?

The north Europeans do go around acting like they are ethically superior (just listen to one of Blairs speeches), Americans don't.

That seems a little harsh, what speech did you have in mind Omar?

Posted By: Cryptic
Date Posted: 23-Mar-2007 at 10:27
Originally posted by Reginmund

[QUOTE=Omar al Hashim]Not the US, Europe. The north Europeans do go around acting like they are ethically superior (just listen to one of Blairs speeches)

Individuals who promote the idea of ethic supereority are not only Northeren Europeans.  Ther ranks include Asians, Iranians etc. as well. 

One could easily make the argument that many Moslem Arabs feel that they are inherently morally superior to ther people due to their religion.  

Date Posted: 23-Mar-2007 at 11:27

above?You let them  to live their own culture a bit.above?
Oh sorry, I must be blind, but where did I mention culture? And why do you bold "a bit"???
Your ethinic superiority is that. You see your own(personal) culture better and you tolerate other cultures. 
I do? Well thanks for informing on how I feel, because for some odd reason I can't make conclusions for myself.
Infact, you are only giving a bit right, that they already should own.
HUH???Confused
How good are you.  It is good you permit them to live too..
Why wouldn'twe let them live? Do you kill people off in your country?
We support other cultures here so, but we don't like to think that we have to bow down to a new one.
why? are you better than them? do your culture better than their culture? do you own USA more than them? why should they follow your culture?
lol Do you read what we say, or just make up stuff as you go along. We've been saying we don't believe anyone is inferior, but there is a established culture here. If you come to a new country, that should be enough reason to try and fit in with your new surroundings. We aren't talking about banning the veil outside of schools are we?
why not, all americans are not like native americans?
Native Americans also didn't create the United States, our ancestors did. And if you want us to change that, then build us a time machine and we'll try to change the past to make you happy.
americans are a little different. They are more open minded to others.
You just said the opposite above.
But I am not talking about nations but people...
I was talking about our, infact this whole thing is about laws and rules. It doesn't matter where you go in the world, your always going to find people with different opinions.
They love themself much because they let others to live their own culture  a bit.
The only arguements you made so far are ones where you put words in our mouth. You can continue doing that, but it won't get you anywhere.
No,  Islam dont require it, but It is not important what islam want or not. Important thing is what  these people want.
And those people can wear whatever they want outside of school. But now that you say it has nothing to do with religion, there is absolutly no reason to have it in school. No other culture gets favored. And if you say the American culture does, part of the reason maybe it's a established one here, no other group had a problem with it in the past, it's the norm. It also allows the teacher to see a childs face, which many teachers here believe it's important.
I should also say, I dont see much difference to hide face or other part of body. It is not bad, but only different. It would be better,, If people stop to accept this thing, as a bad habit.(Cultural superiority?)
I love your logic, if they don't agree with it, then they are BIGOTS!
Create a Muslim private school, then you can wearing the veil if you'd like. But in public school, you don't wear things to hide your face.
I should also add, nobody have right to force someone to show part of her body.
Your right, and if they can find a private school that allows them to hide their face, then they can go there.
I think people stop to impose their ideas to others. Noone forced you to show part of your body. So dont force others for this.
No one forced them to go to another country that has established itself. No one forced them to go to a public school. No one has forced the parents to not home school them. Everything they do is a choice, and when they make the choice, they usually have to follow the rules for them.
niquab is nor evil not bad.
I never said it was, I just don't think it belongs in a secular building. And don't believe it should even further since it doesn't have anything to do with religion.
It is just different.
There are things in our culture we can't where in schools, and those aren't out of the norm at all.
So It does not need tolerance but acceptance.
It's accepted, outside of schools.

-------------

Date Posted: 23-Mar-2007 at 12:07
Oh sorry, I must be blind, but where did I mention culture? And why do you bold "a bit"???

They  can  do what they want only where  I want is a bit. They can wear what they want only out side of school.?

We support other cultures here so, but we don't like to think that we have to bow down to a new one.

support? bow? Just let them to do what they want except harming you. I dont think some cloth will harm you.

. If you come to a new country, that should be enough reason to try and fit in with your new surroundings. We aren't talking about banning the veil outside of schools are we?

is it realy so much important where do you  ban?  Also, school are most important buildings of society.  Dont underestimate that ban.

Native Americans also didn't create the United States, our ancestors did. And if you want us to change that, then build us a time machine and we'll try to change the past to make you happy.

so, should these guys use weapon against you? they should treat you just how your ancestors treated natives? They are not threating  you, only want to wear some extra cloths.
And those people can wear whatever they want outside of school. But now that you say it has nothing to do with religion, there is absolutly no reason to have it in school.

That is their culture, It is a traditional cloth.
It also allows the teacher to see a childs face, which many teachers here believe it's important.

well, It looks like some people think that they should not show some part of their body. will your force them?

I love your logic, if they don't agree with it, then they are BIGOTS!

no.

Create a Muslim private school, then you can wearing the veil if you'd like. But in public school, you don't wear things to hide your face.

create a private school, then you can ban wearing the veil if you'd like. Public schools are for everyone.  Not only for majority, not only for minority.
Your right, and if they can find a private school that allows them to hide their face, then they can go there.

so you will force them too show their body at public shool. Well.

No one forced them to go to another country that has established itself. No one forced them to go to a public school. No one has forced the parents to not home school them. Everything they do is a choice, and when they make the choice, they usually have to follow the rules for them.

Rules are not such holy things. Aim of rules are benefits of people, not to suppress people.

never said it was, I just don't think it belongs in a secular building.

secular buildings? schools, hospitals, courts?  will you let the to die at hospital? will you let them to be treated unfair at courts? or will you let them to not educate themself.

Anyway, arent some primary education at USA is must? So even,, they want to flee from showing their body, they cant flee.. They should go to school and show their face.
There are things in our culture we can't where in schools, and those aren't out of the norm at all.

are you sure, we are not talking about churchs?
It's accepted, outside of schools.

No, It is tolerated outside of school..

Posted By: eaglecap
Date Posted: 23-Mar-2007 at 12:37
"When in Rome do as the Romans do!!"

Frankly, in my country schools have a right to ban veils. I grew up with a certain degree of dress codes and frankly I agree the students need to be identified. If they do not like this then why come to America, Canada or any western country. Do they eventually want to force Sharia law on all westerners?

One wonders why some westerners oppose immigration from Muslim countries when you read things like this-????

Sharia law- "Give me liberty or give me death!!" famous words of Patrick Henry.

-------------
Λοιπόν, αδελφοί και οι συμπολίτες και οι στρατιώτες, να θυμάστε αυτό ώστε μνημόσυνο σας, φήμη και ελευθερία σας θα ε

Date Posted: 23-Mar-2007 at 12:45
Hell, it seems to me like not even the Muslim world is in agreement upon the 'holiness' or the necessity of the face veil. If the constituents of the offended party don't even agree that the veil is worthwhile, why should some British school allow students to wear them?

Date Posted: 23-Mar-2007 at 12:45
Hell, it seems to me like not even the Muslim world is in agreement upon the 'holiness' or the necessity of the face veil. If the constituents of the offended party don't even agree that the veil is worthwhile, why should some British school have to allow students to wear them?

Date Posted: 23-Mar-2007 at 12:47
They  can  do what they want only where  I want is a bit. They can wear what they want only out side of school.?
Right, why do they need to wear something in school? The teacher needs to be able to identify a student.
support? bow? Just let them to do what they want except harming you. I dont think some cloth will harm you.
Our culture is being able to identify a person with there face. So is our established culture wrong?
is it realy so much important where do you  ban?
Wearing things that cover your face has never been allowed in schools where I live. Why should we change it now? The rules have always been established.
Also, school are most important buildings of society.  Dont underestimate that ban.
Your right, people should be going to school, where what is accepted and not worried about what they are wearing. The veil is pointless in education and can only cause distractions. Teachers say they also like to see the faces of their students in order to communicate with them. Emotion in faces plays a huge part in communication here, especially in children who may not want to speak.
so, should these guys use weapon against you?
Nope, why should they? They also get free college, don't have to pay taxes, and can govern themselves as if in a seperate state.
they should treat you just how your ancestors treated natives?
I've always said on these boards I don't except what my ancestors did when and if they were cruel. But I can't change what they did either, I may have their genes, but I'm not them. And I'm also proud of the hardships and good accomplments they'd done.
They are not threating  you, only want to wear some extra cloths.
And they could where the rules allow them. I don't even agree with religions hiding their face, I'm definitly not going to agree when it's something that is culture. I'm fine with them wearing it outside, in private schools. But not in secular buildings have have dress codes.
That is their culture, It is a traditional cloth.
So their culture is superior? They come here where our culture is established, where we have dress codes in place for secular buildings, but they can do whatever they'd like? What we say doesn't matter?
well, It looks like some people think that they should not show some part of their body. will your force them?
We should be forced to change our ways? Don't the males in this culture show their face?
no.
No?? You say we attack it because we don't understand it or we think our culture is superior. Isn't that the line of thought of a bigot?
I've been saying that we have rules in place, and that we have a culture, and that we don't mind a culture following what they believe outside of areas that don't have a dress code.
I think one of the main things in our culture that may gve me this train of thought is the idea when you come into our homes and buildings, you follow the rules. I mean, one of those cultural rules is taking off your hat when you enter someones home, or you wait til your invited in.
create a private school, then you can ban wearing the veil if you'd like. Public schools are for everyone.  Not only for majority, not only for minority.
Private schools are hte ones that set the rules for out of the ordinary. Public is for everyone, but there is and has been a dress code so not to cause copnflict. Your not even allowed to wear bandanas around your neck, or wear a hat in school. There are alot of rules in school that forbid certain dress. One of them is you can't mask your face.
so you will force them too show their body at public shool. Well.
No, I believe thats against the dress code.
Rules are not such holy things. Aim of rules are benefits of people, not to suppress people.
So what makes a cultures rule of wearing a veil superior then the established one they moved to by their choice? And how does this veil give benefits for a child in the education system?

secular buildings? schools, hospitals, courts?  will you let the to die at hospital? will you let them to be treated unfair at courts? or will you let them to not educate themself.
I think it would be removed in a hospital anyways. Is the women so chained to her culture that she'd rather die then be saved?
In court I believe you can't wear it, especially if your apart of whats going on. Though a witness may be able to keep the veil on.
Anyway, arent some primary education at USA is must? So even,, they want to flee from showing their body, they cant flee.. They should go to school and show their face.
It is something a child has to go to, we don't discrimnate there. All children of all origins have to attend as a citizen unless theyare home schooled. They also have the option of finding a private school.
are you sure, we are not talking about churchs?
Girls aren't allowed to wear skirts of any length in public school as a example.
No, It is tolerated outside of school..
No, I'm pretty sure it's accepted. Around here I haven't seen any people have a problem with it. Have you been to the US since your so positive about what you say? Because I haven't expierenced anything contrary to what I've said.

-------------

Date Posted: 23-Mar-2007 at 12:50
 Would these veils get removed during school sports/physical education classes?
      Or will there be excuses to avoid physical eduction on religious ground because you don't want to remove your veil or wear the standard school sportswear uniform (ie. polo shirts/sports shorts/swim wear etc) and have your legs/arms/a*s on view to any male teacher or schoolboy who happens by.
     For if the veil can be removed during physical education (swimming?) then it can be removed during other classes.

p.s.Embarrassed okay I said I wasn't going to participate in this thread but I just wanted to know if there were times whilst at school and possibly in the company of males (teachers or schoolboys) that these veils could/would be removed without incurring excuses.
     I've been thinking that maybe Public Non Denominational School authorities don't want a religious domino effect of any sort (due to them being classed as non denominational) and maybe thats why they don't want veils worn and why they'd rather stick to school uniform policy. (like it or lump it; keeps everyone the same and with minimal segregational issue) 

Opening a can of proverbial worms springs to mind and I'm sure the non denominational classed public school decision makers can recognise further related issue should they relent even the slightest in their decision making.

-------------
Scorpian

Date Posted: 23-Mar-2007 at 17:21
no more ninjas

-------------

Date Posted: 24-Mar-2007 at 04:37
It is funny to make an unjust law than to say that this is law you should obey it.

It is good people have not always such ideas. Or we would still have slavery or such things.

Date Posted: 24-Mar-2007 at 05:40
Originally posted by Mortaza

It is funny to make an unjust law than to say that this is law you should obey it.

Yeh! but then everyone who attends a public multi racial non denominational school has to accept school policy and  the possibility of forfeiture of certain rights. ( No face veils for some and no celebrating christmas for others). 

QuestionHow do public non denominational schools manage to teach religious education? Does everyone get segregated to various different religious classes or has separate RE classes been done away with in favour of a multi diversified cosmopolitan approach.

-------------
Scorpian

Date Posted: 25-Mar-2007 at 21:26
Good move all around and there is a need for more measures like this to protect the Western identity and culture.

Lift face veils or don't vote, Quebec tells Muslims

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20070324.wxquebec24/BNStory/Front/home - http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20070324.wxquebec24/BNStory/Front/home

Globe and Mail Update

TROIS-RIVIRES, QUE., MONTREAL and SAINT-EUSTACHE, QUE. With three days left in one of the most tightly contested elections in decades, Quebec's electoral officer yesterday reversed his decision to allow Muslim women to vote without having to lift their face veils to identify themselves.

Chief Electoral Officer Marcel Blanchet invoked emergency powers to change his mind on one of the controversial minority-rights issues that have roiled the campaign and led to death threats, public outrage and repeated criticism by Parti Qubcois Leader Andr Boisclair.

Mr. Blanchet said his office had been inundated with calls and emails about his decision to allow women to wear the niqab when they voted. His staff was worried and he was assigned two bodyguards. He feared some angry voters would turn out in the craziest disguises you can imagine and disrupt Monday's election.

Mr. Blanchet said it was troubling that he had to reverse his position. Personally, I would have preferred not to do it. But my concern is to ensure everything unfolds normally, and there won't be somebody crazy who will cause trouble on Monday.

-------------

Date Posted: 25-Mar-2007 at 23:21
I heard this kind of veil is negative portrayal of Islam and going way behind what was required.

-------------

Date Posted: 26-Mar-2007 at 12:39
Originally posted by Zagros

Even though I am in support of the ban, how the HELL does it protect western identity?  Are face veils an infectious disease that will spread to other muslims as well as non-muslims?  What a ridiculous statement Aidin.

This issue is part of the bigger questions concerning multiculturalism and integration of immigrants. In the Quebec's election, there has been some debate on this issue and there are signs of growing concerns about the policies of multiculturalism that have serious implications for the Western societies in general.

-------------

Date Posted: 26-Mar-2007 at 12:45
Really? And what site did you copy that nice line from?

-------------

Date Posted: 26-Mar-2007 at 13:46

Really? And what site did you copy that nice line from?

My professor Big%20smile

-------------

Date Posted: 27-Mar-2007 at 04:14
Yeah, I did not think you came up with that one by yourself.

-------------

Date Posted: 27-Mar-2007 at 04:41
 Yeh! but then everyone who attends a public multi racial non denominational school has to accept school policy and  the possibility of forfeiture of certain rights. ( No face veils for some and no celebrating christmas for others). 

Not a good comperation. Do christians see celebrating christmas as a esential part of  their religion? Also, I dont see any problem,  If  people do whatever they want, If they dont endanger others education.

QuestionHow do public non denominational schools manage to teach religious education? Does everyone get segregated to various different religious classes or has separate RE classes been done away with in favour of a multi diversified cosmopolitan approach.

who is talking about teaching religion? They are not harming anyone so you dont need  to harm(with restricting their rights) them.

Every people hide some of their body(Should I remind  you, If we forget ethics, there is not any difference between ass and face.)  Let them hide what they want. Let them follow their ethics(Noone is forcing you to show their body  that you  hide.)

Let them have authority over their own body.

It is funny,  people see abortion inside of (when there is another person, child) woman body rights. they refuse to accept  their rights to hide their own body. (When Infact, hiding  face is  only related with woman herself.)

Date Posted: 27-Mar-2007 at 04:50

Every people hide some of their body(Should I remind  you, If we forget ethics, there is not any difference between ass and face.)  Let them hide what they want. Let them follow their ethics(Noone is forcing you to show their body  that you  hide.)

It's not about "my ethics is better than your ethics". It's about what's standard here - or everywhere. If I'd go to Saudi Arabia (ignoring that they'd never let me in in the first place) or any other place where short pants  and t-shirt is not very polite to run around it, I'd sure as hell adapt to the local customs. It's normal courtesy and decency. No one demands that people coming here adapt to our customs, but don't expect that people will treat anyone who does something rude (read:cover their faces when interacting with other people) the same way they'd treat someone who does adopt. This goes for every place in the world. 

Date Posted: 27-Mar-2007 at 05:23

I am talking about laws, not social pressure.(Totally two different thing.)

Date Posted: 27-Mar-2007 at 05:24

Not a good comperation. Do christians see celebrating christmas as a esential part of  their religion? Also, I dont see any problem,  If  people do whatever they want, If they dont endanger others education.

who is talking about teaching religion? They are not harming anyone so you dont need  to harm(with restricting their rights) them.

It is funny,  people see abortion inside of (when there is another person, child) woman body rights. they refuse to accept  their rights to hide their own body. (When Infact, hiding  face is  only related with woman herself.)

Seems everyone and everything is to revolve around your religion regardless.Clap

-------------
Scorpian

Date Posted: 27-Mar-2007 at 05:31
wrong, It is not my religion, Islam(or should say my islam) does not require such thing.

But their islam or beliefs  does require. So that is their wish,  their ideas, their ethics and absolutely their freedom.

Date Posted: 27-Mar-2007 at 05:51

wrong, It is not my religion, Islam(or should say my islam) does not require such thing.

But their islam or beliefs  does require. So that is their wish,  their ideas, their ethics and absolutely their freedom.

I stand corrected.Confused
     Seems everyone and everything is to revolve around their islam religion regardless. Clap

-------------
Scorpian

Date Posted: 27-Mar-2007 at 06:06

I am talking about laws, not social pressure.(Totally two different thing.)

They are not at all totally different. Laws reflect the society, are written by people and influenced by people. They are not independent from each other.

Posted By: Akolouthos
Date Posted: 27-Mar-2007 at 06:13

Pardon me if I have trouble sympathizing with your arguments, Mortaza, but double standards sit ill with me. I seem to recall that you were all in favor of deliberately persecuting the Ecumenical Patriarch for purely nationalistic reasons ( http://www.allempires.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=16294&PN=1 - http://www.allempires.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=16294&PN=1 ); now you are a freedom loving idealist?

Patriarchate itself is not problem, problem is his international power. 

It is a sad reality, we have another pope at our beatiful city, and sadly we should live with him.So weakining him is not a bad idea. These acts are not a religous based acts, but politic one.

That said, I do not support the face veil ban, just as I do not support any other act of religious or cultural persecution. Injustice is injustice, period. Our professed pluralism obligates us to respect an individual's freedom of conscience. More importantly, for Christians, our Lord Christ commands it!

-Akolouthos

Date Posted: 27-Mar-2007 at 07:25
     Seems everyone and everything is to revolve around their islam religion regardless. Clap

well so what? arent your world evolve your own ideas or belief. do you live acording to  others ideas?
They are not at all totally different. Laws reflect the society, are written by people and influenced by people. They are not independent from each other.

Yes, but laws are about crimes and guilts. Not about rudeness..If weilling her own face is accepted rude, then let them be rude.

Pardon me if I have trouble sympathizing with your arguments, Mortaza, but double standards sit ill with me. I seem to recall that you were all in favor of deliberately persecuting the Ecumenical Patriarch for purely nationalistic reasons ( http://www.allempires.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=16294&PN=1 - http://www.allempires.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=16294&PN=1 ); now you are a freedom loving idealist?

Than read it again. I accused Turkey with treating christian bad. I am  talking about personal freedom and I totally support personal freedom of every christians and their freedom about to live their life.I dont care If they built one million church, or they took Turkey as their missionary ground.

I hope you saw diifference?

Also I should agree with them. Who would like someone who is important for 250 million christian. Specially inside of a muslim city.

But I think limiting their right is discrimination, not dislike.

I am talking about attacking political power of Patriarch.

Teaching Turkish can be Turkey duty, but forcing it is not turkey duty, but discrimination against others.

I should also add, we are talking about Turkey not accepting Ecumenism  of Patriatch.(Not a limitation If You ask me.)

I dont think, I have double standart(I should add, I dont like veiling face too. Infact I find it a little hardcore.) Reading all post would be beneficial.

Date Posted: 27-Mar-2007 at 08:11

well so what? arent your world evolve your own ideas or belief. do you live acording to  others ideas?

Yeh! but their world, ideas and beliefs encroach on my world ideas and beliefs so why should we as hosts be revolving ourselves around the whims of those you call 'They'

-------------
Scorpian

Date Posted: 27-Mar-2007 at 08:23

First, that host thing is nothing more than funny.  They are also citizens, neither slaves nor second class people. So They are host too. 

So  They are they, not us. Your people, not my.

Second, what is whim? Not seeing their face?

Date Posted: 27-Mar-2007 at 08:51
You know, I have heared that in China, it is normal and accepted to spit on the floor in the street and burp loudly after dinner. Well, habits differ, so if they want to do that, fine. If needed, I will squeeze out a burp myself, if that prevents me from offending my hosts there. I can see some of the logic behind it, and as long as people are not being forced to burp against their will, I see no reason to critisise them on it.

But if these people come to Europe and they keep spitting in the street, people will give them dirty looks, and keep away from them, and talk about then behind their backs. Of course, there is no law agains spitting in the streets, and no one can force them to stop it. And I doubt many people will demand a law against spitting in the street. But if these people want to fit in, they will have to stop doing it.

BUT, if these people go to school here, and burp and spit in class, they will be asked to please stop doing it, or else remove themselves from school. Now, you can imagine that someone spitting and burping loudly in class is making it very hard, is not impossible, for a teacher to teach properly. If the pupil refuses to either stop, or leave, the school may be forced to make a rule against spitting and burping loudly in class, (a rule not formerly needed, because for most people, it seemed obvious that spitting and burping loudly in class is not acceptable) to keep these pupils away, and so make sure no other people are bothered by their lacking ability to adhere to the normal rules of polite behaviour in society.

Now replace 'spitting and burping' with 'covering face', and tell me why it should be different.

And please, I need something better than 'it is religion' crap. I tolerate everyones right to believe as they want, but I see no reason why we should accept religion (or culture, or tradition) as an excuse to be rude or offensive on purpose.

-------------

Date Posted: 27-Mar-2007 at 08:57
Hmm,  how can be not seeing somebody face is such important. It is a passive action, not active one.(Like spiting.)

I think, comparing this  two is wrong.  other childs or teachers would not be harmed from this?

It is a self-harming action(acording to me, It looks like these people does not see at harming) not harming enviroment.

purpose?  how do we know their purpose?

Date Posted: 27-Mar-2007 at 09:01

First, that host thing is nothing more than funny.  They are also citizens, neither slaves nor second class people. So They are host too. 

In the real world that's how it works. The ideal world you puts up doesn't exist. Yes, they are citizens. However, that doesn't mean people can do whatever they want just because of a different origin. That goes for natives as well: you can't show up naked in school, or wear hats indoors. Same rules apply to everyone. Of course nobody expects immigrants to become copies of the natives, but in a real world the natives do expect that the people they open the borders and welcome to their society adapt towards the culture and norms that are prevalent. Nowhere but in Europe it seems to be expected that it's the original natives who should do the major adapting.

I do believe immigration is a good thing - in any case it's inevitable and unstoppable. However some immigration causes problem due to cultural differences, and these need to be solved in a civilized manner. I realise both sides have to meet in the middle, though I do believe that in between-point should be weighed towards the majority and not the other way around.

As for the veil ban in schools: yes I think it's ok. Just as it's ok for school to forbid their students not to wear caps indoors.

Hmm,  how can be not seeing somebody face is such important.

For you perhaps. Here it's rude, something that might even be perceived aggressive. It's as simple as that.

Date Posted: 27-Mar-2007 at 09:03

So  They are they, not us. Your people, not my.

Second, what is whim? Not seeing their face?

Clapseems we are going round in circlesLOL

WinkThey can be whatever they elect they want to be as long as they the minority accept that We of the majority happen to live in this country too and We with a majority say on how things get done.

-------------
Scorpian

Posted By: erkut
Date Posted: 27-Mar-2007 at 09:14
Well in my opinion kids shold not be allowed to wear hijap. They dont wear that because they wanted, they wear that because their families obligate them(Brainwashing). And if they obligated to wear when they were too young they cant live without that rest of their life.

-------------

Date Posted: 27-Mar-2007 at 09:19

Hmm,  how can be not seeing somebody face is such important. It is a passive action, not active one.(Like spiting.)

I think, comparing this  two is wrong.  other childs or teachers would not be harmed from this?

It is a self-harming action(acording to me, It looks like these people does not see at harming) not harming enviroment.

purpose?  how do we know their purpose?

No, I did not think you would accept the comparison, as it is pretty obvious you will not accept anything that harms your case. But I made the comparison anyway because the argument only evolves around one issue: Your failure to understand what is so rude about covering faces. You do however, I assume, understand what is rude about spitting and burping.

Now you will jast have to take my word, and that of others here, on it, that to us, spitting and covering your face are both about equally rude. Neither does directly harm anyone, but it is still rude. Now with that in mind, please look at the debate again.

As for purpose. If people offend because they do not know what or how is proper or wrong, they offend by accident, and it is no big deal. (as ong as they apologise). Indeed, it seems to be the highlight of politeness to make sure a guest does not feel embarassed by their mistakes, which is why over 40 years ago, our queen drank the water from her fingerbowl, because her African visitor did so.

But people who do know what behaviour or action is wrong or offesive, and do it anyway, offend on purpose. They show to the world, not just the offence itself, but a complete disregard for what people think or feel. That is rude to the bone.

-------------

Date Posted: 27-Mar-2007 at 09:52
ahhh, great. So I am curious when veil Itself(Not only hiding their face) would become rude. 

Should we ban to eating at hospital, school or court because of ramadan ?At Turkey, eating at ramadan is rude for majority 

I can understand It is rude for europeans people, I even accept social  pressure, but I  dont accept  to ban something because It is rude.

Law does not interest with what is rude or not, It interests with harm.

I think that is not what  you understand. Educate them or do whatever you want, but dont ban action.

But people who do know what behaviour or action is wrong or offesive, and do it anyway, offend on purpose. They show to the world, not just the offence itself, but a complete disregard for what people think or feel. That is rude to the bone.

You are talking like their primary(or secondary or whatever) aim was too become rude against  you.  Their  aim was to live their own life.

Also you are talking like, These people believe what are they doing is wrong. If they think such, They will not veil their face.

whatever, I agree we are going round in circles.

By the way,  Spiting street at Turkey is banned.(We accept spitting as a harm to enviroment.)

Date Posted: 27-Mar-2007 at 10:03

Should we ban to eating at hospital, school or court because of ramadan ?At Turkey, eating at ramadan is rude for majority 

And as comparison travel agencies usually add stuff like this in their brochures: on my desk I have a magazine stating that eating out during ramadan in Zanzibar should be avoided, since it is deemed rude.

Law does not interest with what is rude or not, It interests with harm. 

No laws state that veils are banned. It's about school rules, which is totally different.

By the way,  Spiting street at Turkey is banned.(We accept spitting as a harm to enviroment.) 
This is similar. Do you approve of this law?

Date Posted: 27-Mar-2007 at 10:09
And as comparison travel agencies usually add stuff like this in their brochures: on my desk I have a magazine stating that eating out during ramadan in Zanzibar should be avoided, since it is deemed rude.

would you like it, If you are prosecuted because of your rudeness?

This is similar. Do you approve of this law?

I see it as harming not rude.(I asked a lot time, what is harm of veiling for that reason.)

Maybe, We need a law student. So She can say us,  If Law system punish rudeness  or not.

No laws state that veils are banned. It's about school rules, which is totally different.

School is not a swimming club but something more important. Pls. This is just a backdoor. will court stop this restriction? who put this restriction?

Date Posted: 27-Mar-2007 at 10:20

would you like it, If you are prosecuted because of your rudeness?

You're not gonna be prosecuted for wearing a veil in school...

I see it as harming not rude.(I asked a lot time, what is harm of veiling for that reason.)
What's the harm in spitting? Is it harmful to sneeze too? Personally I find such a law ridiculous, though if that's the norm in your country I'd abide to it.

Who has been talking about harm anyway? It's not about harming. No one is harmed by someone wearing a cap in school either, but it's still forbidden.

Maybe, We need a law student. So She can say us,  If Law system punish rudeness  or not.
There are laws, and there are regulations. This is a case of a regulation, so whether law systems punish rudeness or not is irrelevant. In any case, both are a mirror of the social and ethical rules in a society.

Posted By: erkut
Date Posted: 27-Mar-2007 at 10:24
İ think its harmfull cause its brainwashing.

-------------

Date Posted: 27-Mar-2007 at 11:03

When Western women go to countries that require them, they have to wear them and they aren't even apart of that culture, nevermind a religious belief.

Wearing something to mask your face is seen as rude. In Western society it's pretty important to have face to face interaction. People that wear these veils won't be getting jobs that require them to socilalize, so thats already putting themselves down.
And school is one of the places children learn to socialize not just education. I think masking your face can really hamper that. There's alot more that goes into socializing then just speech.
Also by wearing the veils, other children might not brefriend them as looks seem to always play rolls in social groups, more so at younger ages.
This is mostly observation and politness I learned living in this society all my life.

-------------

Print Page | Close Window

Bulletin Board Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 9.56a - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2009 Web Wiz - http://www.webwizguide.com