Print Page | Close Window

Forum Reorganization

Printed From: History Community ~ All Empires
Category: All Empires Community
Forum Name: AE Community Information, News and Announcements
Forum Discription: Latest community news and announcements.
Information about AE for new members.
URL: http://www.allempires.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=18586
Printed Date: 28-Apr-2024 at 09:36
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 9.56a - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Forum Reorganization
Posted By: Dawn
Subject: Forum Reorganization
Date Posted: 15-Mar-2007 at 20:30
Hello Everyone

You may have noticed that there are a few things going on in the forum. New forums and sub-forums popping up. This will continue for the next little while. As well you will notice very soon a major reorganization ( can't help it - it's spring and I'm a women - must redecorateBig%20smile) in some of the forums. This is all to serve you as members better. To help you find those topics that interest you easier. To further this aim I ask that you be patient with the upheaval , like home improvements you have to make a bit of a mess to make things better. If you suddenly lose a thread it probably has just been moved to it's new home. To help find it again just scan down the forums and look for the most likely place that I might have put it. If you really can't find it just drop me a note and I'll help locate it. Again thanks for your patients

Dawn

Replies:
Posted By: Spartakus
Date Posted: 16-Mar-2007 at 19:04
We will be patient.Approve

-------------
"There are worse crimes than burning books. One of them is not reading them. "
--- Joseph Alexandrovitch Brodsky, 1991, Russian-American poet, b. St. Petersburg and exiled 1972 (1940-1996)

Posted By: ulrich von hutten
Date Posted: 16-Mar-2007 at 19:29
Forum Resignation ?

-------------

http://imageshack.us">

Date Posted: 16-Mar-2007 at 19:51

ULRICH be good!Smile

-------------

Posted By: ulrich von hutten
Date Posted: 16-Mar-2007 at 20:03
Originally posted by Dawn

ULRICH be good!Smile

No Doubt, I am Evil%20Smile

-------------

http://imageshack.us">

Posted By: malizai_
Date Posted: 16-Mar-2007 at 23:22

Dropping in to say great move Dawn, finally someone has given AE forums a much needed surgery.Thumbs%20Up. A woman's touch is indeed what is reqd 'sometimes'.LOL

-------------

Posted By: Guests
Date Posted: 17-Mar-2007 at 07:53
Originally posted by malizai_

Dropping in to say great move Dawn, finally someone has given AE forums a much needed surgery.Thumbs%20Up. A woman's touch is indeed what is reqd 'sometimes'.LOL

..does that mean we are to have lace curtains and pink lampshades everywhere?..and god forbid.....cushions!!!!......Wink

-------------

Date Posted: 17-Mar-2007 at 10:41
Ok phase one is now compete. everyone seems to be finding things (old and new) and no cushions yetWink AofO.

Phase 2 will begin sometime later today or maybe tomorrow. This is the major change from what has been in the past.  These changes are to remove double forums and make it easier for you the members to find those threads that intrest you and help you place threads where everyone can find them.

Here's what it will look like:

Community Forums

Community Information, Announcements- (read only)
-- Community news - comments incouraged
--Newsletter Archive
--Total Quiz Archive
--AE Magazine
 --Warning and Ban Announcements

Administration and Technical support (The Meeting Hall renamed)

The Tavern
--General Gaming and Computers
--Historical Amusement
-- Sports and Sports History
Legations and Advertising Area

General History

General World History
--AE History Portal Project
 --Womens History
-Archaeology and Anthropology
-- Historic Arts and Architecture

Military History

--Modern Warfare
--All Battles
Historical Pictures Gallery
 --Historical Maps Gallery

intellectual Forums ( needs a better name)
The Academy
Intellectual Discussion
--Philosophy and Society and religion
--Current Affairs
-- literary pursuits
 – Linguistics
--Social Sciences
Natural History
Questions and Answers

sugestions and comments apreciated although it may not be possible to implement them all.

-------------

Date Posted: 17-Mar-2007 at 15:32

Couple of thoughts.

Society Vs a seperate Social sciences section. ??

Literary pursits => (Maybe just) Literature

Sports history=> Wouldn't it be part of Cultural history.

AE History Portal Project--Why not just History Portal Project

General Gaming and Computers-- How would it be different from say just Gaming and Computers. I may further suggest an alternative, Gaming and Information Technology.

http://www.allempires.com/forum/default.asp?C=4 - Topics by region or time period , may become Regional History or Period History.

Sub-section headings under Regional history could then be reduced to name of the region, loosing the suffix and prefix of 'history'. African History could become Africa etc.

-------------

Posted By: Omar al Hashim
Date Posted: 18-Mar-2007 at 20:30
Sports history=> Wouldn't it be part of Cultural history.

Cultural History is in fact retired. Sports history was requested in a thread in the meeting hall, although personally I'm not convinced that its needed.

-------------

Posted By: Knights
Date Posted: 18-Mar-2007 at 21:43

Scholarly? Something along those lines possibly...? Smile

-------------

Posted By: Guests
Date Posted: 18-Mar-2007 at 21:50
No hard sciences and literature forums?

Date Posted: 18-Mar-2007 at 21:57
Liturary pursuits counts as liturature forum as to science natural history, acheology are the closest. Dis you have something in mind?

-------------

Posted By: gcle2003
Date Posted: 21-Mar-2007 at 12:13
I'm not sure what 'natural history' means (sounds a little 19th century Smile), but science and maths history seem conceptually to be gaping holes.

On the other hand in the past not too many people seem to have been seriously interested in them.

-------------

Posted By: rider
Date Posted: 21-Mar-2007 at 16:05
Mathematical history would just rule.. natural history is for the NATURE... :D

-------------

Posted By: Serge L
Date Posted: 21-Mar-2007 at 18:03
I too favor something for hard sciences, + economy and technology.

Date Posted: 22-Mar-2007 at 00:13
The problem with the physical sciences, is that there isn't much scope for discussion. The sciences don't care about other peoples opinions, its right, or its wrong.

If you notice that while there is a lot of Engineers on this board, there is hardly any Engineering related discussion? And even when there is, it is short. Usually someone correcting someone else.

I'm not at all sure what would be discussed in a physical sciences forum... except possibly people posting homework questions.

-------------

Posted By: rider
Date Posted: 22-Mar-2007 at 03:38
Well, we could discuss the possible reasons of such discoveries... Like why and how did possibly Galileo come up with something...

-------------

Date Posted: 22-Mar-2007 at 03:41
In my opinion, we should not stray from the core theme of this forum - history. If we introduce too many non-related subject areas, it will detract from this forum's central theme. 

-------------

Posted By: gcle2003
Date Posted: 22-Mar-2007 at 08:29
There seems to be some confusion over the distinction between a science forum and a history of science forum. Granted I see no reason why AE should have forum devoted to discussing issues like whether the universe will continue to expand or eventually shrink It seems to me that tracing the course of events which led up to Einstein formulating the Special Theory is an essentially historical question we should have room for.

An equally valid historical question would be the reaction of empiricism against idealism in people like Ockham - as covered so well in Eco's The Name of the Rose.

Maybe the distinction is that in a science forum the issue is whether such and such a theory is correct (or at least justified), whereas from a historical perspective, in a 'history of science' forum, the  correctness of the beliefs held is immaterial.

-------------

Posted By: Serge L
Date Posted: 22-Mar-2007 at 18:08
What gcle says. I'm sorry I was not clear enough, but I was in a hurry, as pretty much always.

yes, science has always been paramount in history, not only for the technological development (which is paramount in modern and contemporary history, yet significant also during previous ages ) but also for its influences (and clashes!) with philosophy, religion and culture in general.

Moreover, also the changes in the scientific knowledge are informative per se. For instance , Aristotle believed force created velocity, not acceleration. How can this be important? well, for instance they could not grasp the importance of reducing friction in order to gain speed and, in fact, in classic world lubricants were used mostly to reduce force dissipation, in particular in cranes or such.

Many are also the ways science and technology were influenced by other facts of life. For instance the pre-colombian civilizations did know the wheel (a wheeled toy was found) but they never used it the same large-scale way other civilization did, possibly because of the mainly mountainous and forest-covered  environments where the main of them were located.

Finally history of technological development is interesting because it's a clear case of historical determinism, i.e. most (all?) defvelopments seem to be pretty much unavoidable. Evidence of that is the very common disputes between inventors: the radio, the telephone th e television and many other technologies had been invented nearly contemporay by many people pretty much the same time, so that it is clear that "times were ready" for them.

Date Posted: 23-Mar-2007 at 10:22

I have held of starting phase 2 of the reorganization as you guys have brought forth some good suggestions. Maany of them are worth incuding. I will post a revised plan later today (hopefully)

-------------

Date Posted: 25-Mar-2007 at 19:46
Ok better late than never. How about this?

Community Forums

Community Information, Announcements- (read only)
-- Community news - comments incouraged
--Newsletter Archive
--Total Quiz Archive
--AE Magazine
 --Warning and Ban Announcements

Administration and Technical support (The Meeting Hall renamed)

The Tavern
--General Gaming and Computers
--Historical Amusement
-- Sports and Sports History
Legations and Advertising Area

General History

General World History
--AE History Portal Project
 --Womens History
-Archaeology and Anthropology
-- Historic Arts and Architecture
-- Sceince through the Ages

Military History

--Modern Warfare
--All Battles
Historical Pictures Gallery
 --Historical Maps Gallery

The Academy
Intellectual Discussion
--Philosophy and Theology
--Current Affairs
-- literary pursuits
 – Linguistics
--Social Sciences
Natural History
Questions and Answers

-------------

Date Posted: 25-Mar-2007 at 21:48
Looks good dawn.
Only one question, Philosophy and Society and religion probably shouldn't have that many 'and's in it, and should it have Society at all? Or should we drop that from the name and allow those threads to go to Social Sciences? I also think Theology is better than religion for two reasons, 1) It sounds better, and 2) We're more likely to get better and more interesting threads on religion that way.

-------------

Posted By: Kapikulu
Date Posted: 25-Mar-2007 at 21:58
Originally posted by Omar al Hashim

Looks good dawn.
Only one question, Philosophy and Society and religion probably shouldn't have that many 'and's in it, and should it have Society at all? Or should we drop that from the name and allow those threads to go to Social Sciences? I also think Theology is better than religion for two reasons, 1) It sounds better, and 2) We're more likely to get better and more interesting threads on religion that way.

I agree with Omar's post as a whole.

As Society somewhat can be counted in sociology, it would be better to integrate it into Social Sciences, while Theology sounds more academic than religion.

-------------
We gave up your happiness
Your hope would be enough;
we couldn't find neither;
we made up sorrows for ourselves;
we couldn't be consoled;

A Strange Orhan Veli

Date Posted: 26-Mar-2007 at 00:25
you are correct gentleman . It shall be as you say. Sociology will be mentioned in the discription of Social sceince.

-------------

Date Posted: 01-Apr-2007 at 19:00
ok since no one has anything else to add I will proceed to change things about. Please remember if you can't find a thread look in some of the new forums or send me a pm and I will help you find it.  

-------------

Posted By: Maharbbal
Date Posted: 01-Apr-2007 at 19:45
looks good

-------------
I am a free donkey!

Date Posted: 01-Apr-2007 at 20:16
Originally posted by Kapikulu

Originally posted by Omar al Hashim

Looks good dawn.

I agree with Omar's post as a whole.

As Society somewhat can be counted in sociology, it would be better to integrate it into Social Sciences, while Theology sounds more academic than religion.

Second that.

-------------

Date Posted: 01-Apr-2007 at 22:20
The layout looks good, excellent work Dawn et al Thumbs%20Up So you did settle on "Scholarly" Pursuits in the end? Good choice Smile

-------------

Posted By: Northman
Date Posted: 02-Apr-2007 at 03:45
Excellent work Dawn !

Everything smells fresh and found its place - nothing like a womans touch.
Did you dust the shelves while you were at it?

-------------

Posted By: Seko
Date Posted: 02-Apr-2007 at 10:43
Great work Dawn. By the way, I have a few rooms that need painting. Bring over something to eat too while you're at it! Smile

Thanks for your efforts. The forum takes some getting used to. Looks good.

-------------

Posted By: morticia
Date Posted: 02-Apr-2007 at 15:55
Great job on the reorganization! It looks GREAT! Hail Dawn!!!

-------------
"Morty

Trust in God: She will provide." -- Emmeline Pankhurst

Date Posted: 03-Apr-2007 at 02:23
Top stuff. I like it

-------------

Posted By: Leonidas
Date Posted: 03-Apr-2007 at 05:36
great work guysThumbs%20Up

Posted By: Aelfgifu
Date Posted: 03-Apr-2007 at 05:46
Great! Very nice, I like the blue. Makes everything look fresh and new... Big%20smile

Takes a little while to get used to hitting the tavern and ban section first when using the active topics button. But everything is far more logical this way... And I like the fresh new forums too, change is good. Smile

-------------

Women hold their councils of war in kitchens: the knives are there, and the cups of coffee, and the towels to dry the tears.

Date Posted: 05-Apr-2007 at 11:38

The reorganization is almost complete. only minor detials to attend to now.

I want to thank you all for your imput and kind words. Hope you all enjoy the new forum.

-------------

Posted By: Aelfgifu
Date Posted: 06-Apr-2007 at 09:13
Originally posted by Aelfgifu

Great! Very nice, I like the blue. Makes everything look fresh and new... Big%20smile

That is funny... I'm on a different pc now, and suddenly it is brown... LOL

-------------

Women hold their councils of war in kitchens: the knives are there, and the cups of coffee, and the towels to dry the tears.

Print Page | Close Window

Bulletin Board Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 9.56a - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2009 Web Wiz - http://www.webwizguide.com