Print Page | Close Window

Age of Empires III

Printed From: History Community ~ All Empires
Category: All Empires Community
Forum Name: Gaming and Information Technology
Forum Discription: Technology and Computer-related discussions; PC and Video Games…
URL: http://www.allempires.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=1736
Printed Date: 23-Apr-2024 at 20:19
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 9.56a - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Age of Empires III
Posted By: Temujin
Subject: Age of Empires III
Date Posted: 04-Jan-2005 at 16:27

though I'm not interested in the game-series anymore, as well as the period covered (discovery of America), I think some of you are still interested in the announcement of the newest AoE game.

http://pc.ign.com/articles/576/576023p1.html - http://pc.ign.com/articles/576/576023p1.html

Replies:
Posted By: Cywr
Date Posted: 04-Jan-2005 at 18:28
The screenies i've seen look very good, do you think it will be very demanding on a computer?

-------------
Arrrgh!!"

Posted By: Tobodai
Date Posted: 04-Jan-2005 at 18:47

Im the opposite, with better graphics and an intresting time period I think this one could be alot better than the previous ones which I felt where overrated.  And the music and voices better be improved from the last one

"builden"

-------------
"the people are nothing but a great beast...
I have learned to hold popular opinion of no value."
-Alexander Hamilton

Posted By: Gubook Janggoon
Date Posted: 04-Jan-2005 at 18:48
Darn..it's only focusing on Europe though...

-------------

Date Posted: 04-Jan-2005 at 18:49
oh the south american revolutions are covered, now im definately getting it

-------------
-Alexander Hamilton

Posted By: Christscrusader
Date Posted: 04-Jan-2005 at 19:08
Europe is where its at!

-------------
Heaven helps those, who help themselves.
-Jc

Date Posted: 04-Jan-2005 at 19:12

Originally posted by Gubukjanggoon

i think its better that they focus than have that kind of halfassed aproach to non europeans that they had before, where all the units but the unique one still looked european etc, I would rather they specialize than make me play with chinese horsemen that look French

This is why RON is superior, they gave each culture group a unit and architecture uniqueness and more than 1 special unit.

-------------
-Alexander Hamilton

Posted By: Guests
Date Posted: 05-Jan-2005 at 07:30
The link says it will have 8 countries.
France, Britain and Spain are already revealed?
What do you all think will be the other ones?
Portugal and the Netherlands will be included for sure I think.
Plus Russia, Sweden and Germany? or wil they include the USA?
A Jesuit civ will be cool too, they had some de facto independent states in the America in the time period covered.

Posted By: Cywr
Date Posted: 05-Jan-2005 at 10:12
Some N.American Natives would be in order probably.

-------------
Arrrgh!!"

Date Posted: 05-Jan-2005 at 13:03

Originally posted by MixcoatlToltecahtecuhtli

The link says it will have 8 countries.
France, Britain and Spain are already revealed?
What do you all think will be the other ones?
Portugal and the Netherlands will be included for sure I think.
Plus Russia, Sweden and Germany? or wil they include the USA?
A Jesuit civ will be cool too, they had some de facto independent states in the America in the time period covered.

Germany? there was no Germany during that time period, and no German colony in the Americas...I'd rather had the Danes in, if anything.

-------------

Date Posted: 05-Jan-2005 at 18:21
I figure since it goes to the 1850s that the USA Mexico and others are there

-------------
-Alexander Hamilton

Posted By: Benceno
Date Posted: 05-Jan-2005 at 21:25
Originally posted by Gubukjanggoon

Altough most (if not all) countries will be from Europe, I read that the focus will be on the colonization of America, not Europe itself. I also read that there would be several native american civs, but they will not be playable by humans.

-------------
Hola.

Posted By: Imperator Invictus
Date Posted: 05-Jan-2005 at 21:35
Damn those graphics will crush almost any computer of this day.

-------------

Date Posted: 05-Jan-2005 at 21:40
Maybe there will be Greece or Byzantine Empire

-------------
-Jc

Date Posted: 05-Jan-2005 at 21:55
Originally posted by Christscrusader

Maybe there will be Greece or Byzantine Empire

Well if it's focusing on the colonization of the Americas...I doubt it...kind of sucks that you won't be able to play any of the NA civs though...I hope they have the Russians.

-------------

Date Posted: 05-Jan-2005 at 22:43
Aw, well maybe i thought they had some concentration on EUrope.

-------------
-Jc

Posted By: Mast
Date Posted: 06-Jan-2005 at 05:33
So there'll be eight civilisations.

Confirmed:
Britain
France
Spain

A German civlisation, throwing the Prussians and states into one.

http://files.heavengames.com/aom/albums/aoe3-earlyshots/aa z.jpg
Russian hats?

http://files.heavengames.com/aom/albums/aoe3_concept_art/a ae.jpg
Stradiot, Italian soldier.
Probably an Italian civilisation, lumping the city states together.

Portuguese should be there, and perhaps so should the Dutch?
That makes 8.

Date Posted: 06-Jan-2005 at 12:29
Originally posted by Temujin

Germany? there was no Germany during that time period, and no German colony in the Americas...

From 1528 to 1556 Venezuela was in hands of the Welser family from Augsburg.
So it was indeed not a colony from "Germany" but rather from "Germans".

Stradiot, Italian soldier.
Probably an Italian civilisation, lumping the city states together.

But there were no Italian city states colonizing the Americas.But of course they might be mercenaries (after all, Columbus, Verazzano, Vespucci and Cabot were also Italians).

Date Posted: 06-Jan-2005 at 13:21

Germany? there was no Germany during that time period, and no German colony in the Americas...

no, it's more complicated, the colony was always spanish, the colony was just an "asset" for the bankers. they've sent and expedition to judge it's value which came to the conclusion that the land is worthless and demanded cash instead.

OMG, they won't seriously make the same mistake like they did in American conquest. there were no Germans in America. NEVER! the flag did not exist until 1871 and the flag shown was one of the Pacific holdings....there were temporarily two Brandenburgish trading posts in Nigeria at the time but that was it.

-------------

Date Posted: 06-Jan-2005 at 14:08
OK, so no Germans.
Perhaps they could add Courland instead?

Date Posted: 06-Jan-2005 at 14:23
courland was a vassal of Poland and shared an caribbean island with Denmark.

-------------

Date Posted: 06-Jan-2005 at 14:28
Historical or not, that flag's on several screenshots. I believe a German nation of some kind will be in.

Date Posted: 06-Jan-2005 at 14:47
of course it would be cool to have a Welser civilization in it.

Date Posted: 06-Jan-2005 at 15:40

this is awfull....but I'm not going to get that game anyway, i aslo didn't got american conquest due to this idiocy and racism...

-------------

Date Posted: 06-Jan-2005 at 15:56
What do you think the resources will be?

Gold
Food
Wood
Iron replacing stone?

Date Posted: 06-Jan-2005 at 16:47

this is awfull....but I'm not going to get that game anyway, i aslo didn't got american conquest due to this idiocy and racism...

racism?

-------------

Date Posted: 06-Jan-2005 at 19:19

Hwll it should have more racism! This is the conquest of the Americas there should be genocide and slavery!

and damn, the Byzantine empire in a game about american conquest?  I almost cried laughing...

-------------
-Alexander Hamilton

Date Posted: 07-Jan-2005 at 09:40
did anyone listen the AoEIII theme on the website?
sounds familiar

-------------

Date Posted: 07-Jan-2005 at 14:51

racism?

it's like that: ottomans in Cossacks for example look like some camel riding arabs. that's racism. now they do a Prussian nation for AoE3 and call it Germans. that's racism. they just merge some independent nations (including mine) and give it a sterotypical look just to please some dumb kiddies that don't know better. I also once noticed that in RoN the ottoman special units look like indians (and much more). like merging incas, mayas, aztecs, cherokee and label it "indians" or natives....

and the question remains, why shoudl there be Germans in a discvoery of america game? it makes perfectly no sense....

-------------

Date Posted: 07-Jan-2005 at 15:22

becasue of the importnat role of das uber baywatch king!

http://whitehouse.org/kids/germany/index.html - http://whitehouse.org/kids/germany/index.html

-------------
-Alexander Hamilton

Date Posted: 08-Jan-2005 at 11:35

now they do a Prussian nation for AoE3 and call it Germans. that's racism. they just merge some independent nations (including mine) and give it a sterotypical look just to please some dumb kiddies that don't know better.

How do you know they merge several German nations together and call it Prussia? Perhaps they'll make a Prussian civ. and call it "Prussia".

I also once noticed that in RoN the ottoman special units look like indians (and much more). like merging incas, mayas, aztecs, cherokee and label it "indians" or natives....

[nitpick]Ottomans have the same building set as Nubians, Bantu and Egyptians. Persians have the same set as Indians. Incas, Mayas and Aztecs share a building set. There are no Cherokee in RoN, but Lakotha and Iroquois, who also share a building set.[/nitpick]

and the question remains, why shoudl there be Germans in a discvoery of america game? it makes perfectly no sense....

I agree with that.

-------------

Posted By: J.M.Finegold
Date Posted: 08-Jan-2005 at 11:50
Perhaps because there will be a 7 Years' War and since Prussia was one of the heaviets contestants of the 7 Years' War in Europe they feel they have to have a Prussia.

-------------

Posted By: Styrbiorn
Date Posted: 08-Jan-2005 at 12:23
Although I won't count on it being in, Sweden did have a colony in the New World, named New Sweden ( Delaware). Anyway, in that Cossacks game they added Germany and Russia instead, and I won't doubt they'll do something similar here. Sales above all. 

Date Posted: 08-Jan-2005 at 13:55
If there will be a revolutionary campaign they'll probably include the USA, Mexico, Gran Colombia and Brazil. But on the other hand it will be strange if Mexico and Spain colonize America in the same time.
If there will be no independent American countries I hope the other 5 countries will be Portugal, the Netherlands, Russia, Sweden and Denmark. If Prussia or Italy or so will be included I hope the game will be easily moddable.

-------------

Date Posted: 08-Jan-2005 at 17:31

Originally posted by DuxPimpJuice

Perhaps because there will be a 7 Years' War and since Prussia was one of the heaviets contestants of the 7 Years' War in Europe they feel they have to have a Prussia.

btu Prussia had no troops fightign in America, and apparently this will focus on America...

and i don't think ES will have a Prussian civilization but rather name them Germans. I'm almost certain on that.

-------------

Date Posted: 12-Jan-2005 at 19:36
What about Russia?  I know it sounds silly but dotn forget Alaska and even northwestern Oregon.

-------------
-Alexander Hamilton

Date Posted: 13-Jan-2005 at 06:08

I object to Russia (that is, if it puts out better suited nations) of the same reason I objected to it in that Cossacks game - they came late, erected some fur trading posts and had little to none inteference or contact with the other European powers on the continent.  

Date Posted: 13-Jan-2005 at 12:00
well the amkers of the game admit their campafings wont exactly be too historical is specific events....so we could see 1868 the Russo-American WAR over Alaska! lol

-------------
-Alexander Hamilton

Posted By: Imperial_Athinai
Date Posted: 17-Jan-2005 at 00:25

Damnit. I just bought Rome: Total War.. and now another AOE comes out

I'm not much of a gamer, but AOE is one of a kind.. I can't wait till it gets out

Date Posted: 17-Jan-2005 at 09:58
Originally posted by Imperial_Athinai

I'm not much of a gamer, but AOE is one of a kind.. I can't wait till it gets out

No problem, it will be awhile until them. 4th quarted of 2005 iirc.

Posted By: Jagatai Khan
Date Posted: 17-Jan-2005 at 12:13

Aoe III will be released in Autumn i think,so be calm....

I heard that there would be 8 nations.I don't know all of them but I read that England,Germany,Portugal,Spain and France will be in the game.

I didn't like it.For the discovery of America ES had ignored history of other nations in that period.

-------------

Date Posted: 24-Jan-2005 at 16:04

It would be wrong to have Germany, but as many have said Prussia would be logical.

Although the Prussians never really discovered America, they were a major power in the European theatre, having the 4th Largest Army in Europe at the time, a very proffessional army at that. Far more powerful than Sweden or Denmark. I think the idea of having the Prussians involved in AOE III is to show what countries might get involved in discovering the new world.

Date Posted: 25-Jan-2005 at 14:11
but Prussia had no navy until the mid-19th century, that's when the game ends.

-------------

Date Posted: 25-Jan-2005 at 15:05
Originally posted by falkstrife

Although the Prussians never really discovered America, they were a major power in the European theatre, having the 4th Largest Army in Europe at the time, a very proffessional army at that. Far more powerful than Sweden or Denmark. I think the idea of having the Prussians involved in AOE III is to show what countries might get involved in discovering the new world.

Not until the latter half of the 18th century, before that they were not a major player. And as said, they didn't even have a navy until very late, essential to the discovery of the New World. Denmark and especially Sweden would be more suited for that purpose (both actually having colonies in America), even though the former declined in power and the latter were more interested in controlling the Baltic. However Germany is a big market of the games, I presume...

Date Posted: 25-Jan-2005 at 19:59
Koreans are actually yhe biggest market for pc games, so Im suprised there isn t a Korea faction to exploit the new world.

-------------
-Alexander Hamilton

Date Posted: 25-Jan-2005 at 20:01
Hehe...the Korean war cry would've have been, "Mijoo Orankae Joogoorah!"  Die American Barbarian!

BTW is the U.S. in this?

-------------

Date Posted: 25-Jan-2005 at 20:14

yes, as I believe will Mexico and Columbia be as well. 

Well since the Germans are so unpopular for this game perhaps I will amuse myself by defending them, at the time of indipendance germans were almost half the wethnicity of the US, although it wasnt organized nation-state colonizing there are still alot of them, hence today we have the Amish, and think how fantastic Amish buggies with cannons on them would be in a computer game!

Perhpas a fun game would be a well researched historical game that was alternate history related, like say, China colonizes the West Coast of America, Europeans the East, and Muslims the South.

-------------
-Alexander Hamilton

Date Posted: 26-Jan-2005 at 05:50
Originally posted by Tobodai

That's strange. Then Mexico will start colonies in America contemporary with Spain

-------------

Date Posted: 26-Jan-2005 at 19:58

That's strange. Then Mexico will start colonies in America contemporary with Spain

no thats not how its going to work, the factions I believe will change as time goes on in the campaign.

-------------
-Alexander Hamilton

Date Posted: 26-Jan-2005 at 20:06
But what if you're playing a random map?

-------------

Date Posted: 27-Jan-2005 at 04:14

no thats not how its going to work, the factions I believe will change as time goes on in the campaign.

huh, haven't I played that game already?

Date Posted: 28-Jan-2005 at 02:12

But what if you're playing a random map?

I have no idea, Im just guessing anyway, all I know is George Washington makes a cameo

-------------
-Alexander Hamilton

Posted By: Teup
Date Posted: 28-Jan-2005 at 17:37

I think Tobodai is right, and yeah, random maps will just be weird... Because that's what all rts are like... AOE2 also had some pretty incredible combinations in random maps.

-------------
Whatever you do, don't

Posted By: Turk
Date Posted: 29-Jan-2005 at 16:00
What a marketing ploy, they're going to put only 8 all European civs in the game, and come out with an expansion pack a few months later featuring "extra" civs (civs that should have already been in the game).

-------------

Posted By: Jagatai Khan
Date Posted: 31-Jan-2005 at 06:32

I agree.

I don't know the other nations such as Chinese,Japanese etc.

but the Turks should certainly have been in the game;in the period between the years 1600-1750,The ottoman empire was still had the world's largest militarical power.

-------------

Date Posted: 31-Jan-2005 at 07:59
Originally posted by Jagatai Khan

but the Turks should certainly have been in the game;in the period between the years 1600-1750,The ottoman empire was still had the world's largest mitiraical power.

But the Turks were never in the Americas, and that's where the game is about.

-------------

Date Posted: 31-Jan-2005 at 20:24
yeah, it already makes no sense that the Germans are in it, it would make even less sense if the Turks were too

-------------
-Alexander Hamilton

Posted By: redimus
Date Posted: 08-Feb-2005 at 15:48

Im the opposite, with better graphics and an intresting time period I think this one could be alot better than the previous ones which I felt where overrated.  And the music and voices better be improved from the last one

"builden"

Funny, I thought the first one was an absolute classic.....heck I still play it to this day, now and then (ie random battles). The second one I did not care for at all. Yes it was more realistic with the people/building size ratios, and the AI was better, etc.....but it was way, way too "busy" looking. Just did nothing for me. The first one has me wondering what could've been if they'd spent more time making the AI better/less predictable (for ex. when you have units destroying a structure and getting attacked, yet they don't automatically counter-attack), but it's still quite playable.

Posted By: rider
Date Posted: 09-Feb-2005 at 03:15

but if theyll make  SPain, France, England, Portugal, war in America and orther four like Turks, Prussia, Poland, Russia in Europe???

-------------

Posted By: Quetzalcoatl
Date Posted: 28-Feb-2005 at 05:39

Historical or not, that flag's on several screenshots. I believe a German nation of some kind will be in.

Prussia without any doubt. And if they don't include the Austrian, they certainly don't know about history.

So

France

Britain

Spain

Prussia

Austria

Portugal

These are for sure.

yeah, it already makes no sense that the Germans are in it, it would make even less sense if the Turks were too

It wouldn't make any sense if a power like Prussia isn't represented. And worst if the austrian empire isn't in it, the game isn't worth buying. Austria was a military superpower at the time.

-------------

Posted By: Le Renard
Date Posted: 03-Mar-2005 at 21:12
Wow!those graphics look awsome!  Does anyone know how much it will cost and what the computer requirments are?

-------------
"History repeats itself because nobody listened the first time."

Date Posted: 04-Mar-2005 at 16:34
Originally posted by Quetzalcoatl

It wouldn't make any sense if a power like Prussia isn't represented. And worst if the austrian empire isn't in it, the game isn't worth buying. Austria was a military superpower at the time.

It's set in the Americas. Austrians did never had a colony in the Americas

-------------

Posted By: The Canadian Guy
Date Posted: 08-Mar-2005 at 09:27
AOEIII will be out in the next half of this year. Here's the offical website http://www.ensemblestudios.com/ - www.ensemblestudios.com/

Date Posted: 08-Mar-2005 at 17:54
Originally posted by Quetzalcoatl

Prussia without any doubt. And if they don't include the Austrian, they certainly don't know about history.

So

France

Britain

Spain

Prussia

Austria

Portugal

These are for sure.

I wonder who does know about history. The Austrians didn't have that much to do with the colonization of the New World...
Those who did were these:
Spain
Britain
France
Portugal
Netherlands
Sweden
Denmark
Russia (only some trading posts along the NW part, no contact or interaction with the others though)

Date Posted: 08-Mar-2005 at 18:12

oh boy oh boy oh boy can't wait to hear the Dutch vocals

"Ja? Onmiddelijk!"

Hmm on 2nd thought, my processor would melt away by a mere glimpse of the cd(s)

-------------
Whatever you do, don't

Date Posted: 08-Mar-2005 at 19:10
Originally posted by Teup

"Ja? Onmiddelijk!"

It would probably be fake Dutch
the units of AOEII mainly spoke fake languages as well.

-------------

Date Posted: 09-Mar-2005 at 05:49

Originally posted by Teup

"Ja? Onmiddelijk!"

It would probably be fake Dutch
the units of AOEII mainly spoke fake languages as well.

Then I'd be even more delighted to hear

But did they really? I thought they just picked some modern languages instead of the authentical ones, but still real ones (spanish, turkish, chinese, japanese), for what I can remember the Teutons sounded more authentical, and the Vikings did at least have some old norse (fiskr-mağr etc ).

However, maybe they will all be dead silent like in Rise of Nations

-------------
Whatever you do, don't

Date Posted: 09-Mar-2005 at 07:16
The Teutonic/Gothic one was weird. It sounded German, and some things were somewhat recognizeable (Bereite, Das ich soll) but other things weren't. Perhaps it was Old German or so).
The Franks just spoke Franglish (Fisheo, Mineo).
The British spoke a very weird language as well ("Ik willem"?)
The Aztecs spoke outright nonsense ("Bantilwong"?)
The Spanish was indeed authentical.

However, maybe they will all be dead silent like in Rise of Nations

That would be a shame, but I don't think they will.

-------------

Date Posted: 09-Mar-2005 at 16:32
yeah the language of the Teutons had something German to it, but nothing recognizable...

-------------

Date Posted: 09-Mar-2005 at 16:53

Ah, the Teuton vocals went for the Goths as well? Then that at least is clearly wrong. Strange, because it's not hard at all to find out about Gothic as it's the only East Germanic language.

I also recall (for as far as I can tell) AOM had some not so convincing voice acting. I wonder why they do it like that, they might as well pick a modern native and hardly anyone would notice the difference, so why they come up with fakes...

-------------
Whatever you do, don't

Date Posted: 09-Mar-2005 at 18:35

The British spoke a very weird language as well ("Ik willem"?)

It wa supposed to be Olde English, I presume.
The Vikings spoke Icelandic, and iirc it was quite good too.

Print Page | Close Window

Bulletin Board Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 9.56a - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2009 Web Wiz - http://www.webwizguide.com