Print Page | Close Window

Women and Religion

Printed From: History Community ~ All Empires
Category: General History
Forum Name: Women's History
Forum Discription: Discuss women in history and other historical topics from a feminine perspective !
URL: http://www.allempires.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=16208
Printed Date: 25-Apr-2024 at 16:40
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 9.56a - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Women and Religion
Posted By: morticia
Subject: Women and Religion
Date Posted: 14-Nov-2006 at 17:01
To some degree, all major world religions deprecate women (both East and West).   

Christian/Catholic:

In the Catholic religion, women are not allowed in the “priesthood”, therefore, no woman could ever become “POPE” (the highest ranking position in the Catholic religion).   In most Christian religions, women are the mainstay and yet are prohibited from holding leadership positions. Even though there is ample evidence of women’s leadership in the early church, such leadership became increasingly prohibited as the church became a public institution, as it was not considered proper for women to hold leadership positions in public.   

Judaism:

In the Jewish religion, although there are now some women Rabbis, the morning prayer is a daily deprecation of women, as stated: “Blessed art thou, O Lord our God, King of the universe, who hast not made me a woman”.   

Islam:

In Islam, according to the words [of Allah in the Koran], “Men are superior to women” [34:4]. It also states that, “A woman is prohibited from holding high office, because doing so requires mingling with men, and being alone with them.   Also, she must bear a heavy burden, which is not suitable for the character of a woman. [8]

IMO, the only way for a woman to deal with a misogynistic institution, is to leave it.   And maybe that is why I am not a member of any religious groups!   

If you were a woman, how would you feel about this? Would you participate in said organizations knowing that women are considered inferior and not permitted to hold office in said organization? If so, why would you want to participate?

-------------
"Morty

Trust in God: She will provide." -- Emmeline Pankhurst

Replies:
Posted By: Siege Tower
Date Posted: 14-Nov-2006 at 17:34
i dont suppose Buddism have anything to do with it

-------------

Posted By: Aelfgifu
Date Posted: 14-Nov-2006 at 17:43
Well, there seems to be a curious lack of female Buddist monks...

-------------

Women hold their councils of war in kitchens: the knives are there, and the cups of coffee, and the towels to dry the tears.

Posted By: Paul
Date Posted: 14-Nov-2006 at 18:46
There are quite a few Buddhist nuns though....

Formerly nuns were considered 2nd rate and did little more than the monk's housework at the temples, but these days are on a much more even footing.

The main problem for women in Buddhism is only monks can earn karma, and women can't become monks. Men earn their karma by becoming a monk at some point in their lives, usually for only a few months. When a man becomes a monk he not only earns karma for himself, but for his mother too. This is the only way women can earm karma. It's of course problematic, if the women only has daughters, or has no children at all. Hence the fact male children are more prized by mother's than daughters.

Recently this has changed in modern looking Buddhist countries who are gradually accepting the idea nuns can earn karma too. Also it's becoming accepted there are other methods of earning karma, such as charity work, donations to templesor joining one of an increasing number of Buddhist cults.

-------------
Light blue touch paper and stand well back

http://www.maquahuitl.co.uk - http://www.maquahuitl.co.uk

http://www.toltecitztli.co.uk - http://www.toltecitztli.co.uk

Date Posted: 14-Nov-2006 at 20:31
hello paul, mind telling me what is karma

-------------

Date Posted: 14-Nov-2006 at 21:12
'Merit' I believe is what they translated it as where I lived. Though more accurate to a local it's more confusing to a westerner. Karma in English is a very general term that includes many concepts in eastern religions so perhaps too general to be accurately descriptive if used in English.

http://img100.imageshack.us/img100/3797/bwjgo0.jpg - http://img100.imageshack.us/img100/3797/bwjgo0.jpg  in the local
dialect, you made 'Bwj' by becoming a monk and

http://img175.imageshack.us/img175/2659/gumgn7.jpg - http://img175.imageshack.us/img175/2659/gumgn7.jpg  'gum' if you did good or bad with other people in your life

in English it's all karma.

-------------

Date Posted: 15-Nov-2006 at 14:22
Originally posted by Siege Tower

Hello Siege Tower and welcome to the women's history forum. Well, as Paul has indicated on this topic, Buddhism is another religion which deprecates women.

-------------
"Morty

Date Posted: 15-Nov-2006 at 14:26
Originally posted by Paul

...in modern looking Buddhist countries who are gradually accepting the idea nuns can earn karma too. Also it's becoming accepted there are other methods of earning karma, such as charity work, donations to templesor joining one of an increasing number of Buddhist cults.

Finally, some words of encouragement for women!    

-------------
"Morty

Date Posted: 15-Nov-2006 at 15:48
Originally posted by morticia

Hello Siege Tower and welcome to the women's history forum. Well, as Paul has indicated on this topic, Buddhism is another religion which deprecates women.

it is a pleasure of my.

from what i know, the fundamental principle of buddism is that all beings are equal, so don t think buddidm have any thing to do with it because it violates its principle.
as Paul mentioned that traditionally buddist nuns weren t allowed to earn Karmar(the concept is still unclear to me) well since we are talking about the principles rather than facts, i suppose it is just that people have different understanding to the principle of buddism, and plus, there are traditionally more monks than nuns, i guess that's where the discremination came from.

-------------

Date Posted: 16-Nov-2006 at 14:06

... there are traditionally more monks than nuns, i guess that's where the discremination came from.

But, what's the point of being a nun if they can't even attain as much "karma" as the monks? Why can men attain greater "anything" and the women cannot? The whole point of this topic is that women, in most world religions and even in the modern day, are inferior to men and cannot EVER reach the same capacity as that of a clergyman. Does that mean that "God" loves men more than women?

-------------
"Morty

Date Posted: 16-Nov-2006 at 22:53
Should have done this before, but I checked my understanding of the topic with the girl I live with, who is both Chinese and a Buddhist. Bwj is something that can only be earnt by a man while he is a monk and primarily for his mother. It controls reincarnation in the next life. Gum can be earned by giving temples money and controls luck in the near future.

Women were unable to earn karma for the next life. The only way to do this was from a son becoming a monk. Nowadays nuns can earn it too. Good fortune for the present can be earnt by anybody, by feeding monks, gifting temples or doing good, but doesn't count towards the next life.

Negatives such as killing [anything] is against a Buddhist commandment so bwj not gum. So effect the next life not present fortune. Hence in restaurants when a cook needs to cook seafood alive, they hire a child to drop it in the boiling water. The theory being the child has a lifetime to [if male become a monk] [if female have a son] and work off the poor reincarnation. Similarly most slaughterhouse hire Muslims because Buddhists refuse to work in these places garunteed a poor reincarnation if they do.

Ironically Buddhist countries have some of the most inhumanely killed and factory farmed animals of any country. Because the Buddhist commandment says you shouldn't kill animals but says nothing about eating animals killed by other people. Even Buddhist monks, in contrast to popular myth, eat meat this way.  

-------------

Posted By: Vivek Sharma
Date Posted: 17-Nov-2006 at 00:42

'Merit' I believe is what they translated it as where I lived.

Where do you live Paul ?

is an Indian word. The actual word is not Karma but KARM. English usage tends to add an A to the end of most Indian words.

The literal meaning of the word KARM is action / deeds / work.

The Philosophical meaning of Karm is " the result / thinking / gist of the Act".

Theologically the word Karm is a combination of

KARYA = Work / Action / Act &
MARM = Result / Thought process / Conclusion.

& refers to the MARM (Result / Thought process / Conclusion) of the KARYA ( Work / Action / Act)

The Indian religion places KARM as the most important part of the religion. In Hinduism Gods are not supreme, Karm is. Any person can attain Godly / divine status by virtue of his good Karms (good deeds). Gods remain Gods, only as long as they excel in virtuous Karm.

-------------
PATTON NAGAR, Brains win over Brawn

Posted By: Lotus
Date Posted: 17-Nov-2006 at 06:20

Well at least things now seem to be changing, and not before time

In 1975 Synod decided there were no theological objections to the ordination of women

1987 first women deacons appointed

In 1994 the first women priests were ordained into the Church of England.

In 2004 the number of women priests ordained outnumbered men.

Britain still lacks behind the US, Canada and New Zealand in not yet ordaining women bishops.

Posted By: The_Jackal_God
Date Posted: 13-Dec-2006 at 15:15
meh, not ordaining women misogynistic. i guess if you're seeking power, best not to use religion, cuz that road's been abused enough already.

you may have heard of women like Mother Teresa and Catherine of Siena, Teresa of Avila, or a lil lady named Mary who all wielded influence comparable or more than the most influential of Popes. non-ordination hasn't been an issue hindering women's influence and role in Christianity. but as the above has noted, that door has been opened, so maybe you should join and go for it.

judaism may be misogynistic, not as far as i know, but the one little line must be very powerful. i am impressed with your belief in the power of prayer.

islam - yes, it's like the Amish trade-off of respecting women by putting them on a pedestal, and draped by curtains. yes, not very enlightened.

there have also been cases of wrongdoing against women in the name of these religions much worse than the ones you mentioned. the joys of not living in black and white.

you seem also to ignore the role religion has played in bettering the condition of women the world over. but such is the nature of narrow generalizations. if we could get away from these black & white generalizations, that would truly be something praiseworthy.

Date Posted: 14-Dec-2006 at 05:22
i still don t think that religion is the origin of gender discrimination, i think that gender discimination is the the reflection of the public opinion at the time. 

-------------

Posted By: Guests
Date Posted: 14-Dec-2006 at 08:18
agree with ST

Posted By: Omar al Hashim
Date Posted: 06-Jan-2007 at 23:33
Originally posted by Morty

In Islam, according to the words [of Allah in the Koran], “Men are superior to women” [34:4]. It also states that, “A woman is prohibited from holding high office, because doing so requires mingling with men, and being alone with them.   Also, she must bear a heavy burden, which is not suitable for the character of a woman. [8]

Wrong on both accounts. [34:4] is
"That He may reward those who believe and work deeds of righteousness: for such is Forgiveness and a Sustenance Most Generous."" [34:4]

[8] is not a reference, but I have heard that sort of opinion before. It doesn't have a foundation in religion.

-------------

Date Posted: 09-Jan-2007 at 15:09
Omar, I don't know which book you are reading, but this is what I found:

translations of Qur'an 4:34:

"Men are superior to women on account of the qualities with which God has gifted the one above the other, and on account of the outlay they make from their substance for them. Virtuous women are obedient, careful, during the husband's absence, because God has of them been careful. But chide those for whose refractoriness you have cause to fear; remove them into beds apart, and scourge them: but if they are obedient to you, then seek not occasion against them: verily, God is High, Great!" (Rodwell's version of the Koran, Quran, 4:34)

Sorry, maybe I just inadvertently transposed the numbers!    

-------------
"Morty

Posted By: TeldeInduz
Date Posted: 10-Jan-2007 at 01:28
^noone reads the Rodwell version, it has a lot of errors. I think he was a church rector from London when he wrote it.

-------------
Quoo-ray sha quadou sarre.................

Posted By: malizai_
Date Posted: 10-Jan-2007 at 01:57
Tele

There are no versions of the Koran only various translations. There is huge difference.

Cahaya

Do u think that your religion deprecates women?

-------------

Date Posted: 10-Jan-2007 at 02:10
Originally posted by malizai_

Tele

There are no versions of the Koran only various translations. There is huge difference.

Alright, I'm being lazy with my words. translations/interpretations.

-------------

Date Posted: 10-Jan-2007 at 03:39
Aye, both Telde and Malizai are correct.

4:34 by a reputable translator:

YUSUFALI: Men are the protectors and maintainers of women, because Allah has given the one more (strength) than the other, and because they support them from their means. Therefore the righteous women are devoutly obedient, and guard in (the husband's) absence what Allah would have them guard. As to those women on whose part ye fear disloyalty and ill-conduct, admonish them (first), (Next), refuse to share their beds, (And last) beat them (lightly); but if they return to obedience, seek not against them Means (of annoyance): For Allah is Most High, great (above you all).

-------------

Date Posted: 10-Jan-2007 at 04:05
The translation of beat (lightly) is debateable according to some interpretations.

-------------

Date Posted: 10-Jan-2007 at 04:29
'Therefore the righteous women are devoutly obedient'

And this is somehow not degrading to women? Just because men are pysically stronger, they have the right to tell us what to do? Sorry boys, that's not going to cut it for me...

-------------

Women hold their councils of war in kitchens: the knives are there, and the cups of coffee, and the towels to dry the tears.

Date Posted: 10-Jan-2007 at 13:40
Originally posted by Omar al Hashim

Aye, both Telde and Malizai are correct.

4:34 by a reputable translator:

<a name="004.034">004.034</a>

YUSUFALI:
Men are the protectors and maintainers of women, because Allah
has given the one more (strength) than the other, and because they support
them from their means. Therefore the righteous women are devoutly obedient,
and guard in (the husband's) absence what Allah would have them guard. As to
those women on whose part ye fear disloyalty and ill-conduct, admonish them
(first), (Next), refuse to share their beds, (And last) beat them
(lightly); but if they return to obedience, seek not against them Means (of
annoyance): For Allah is Most High, great (above you all).

Well, your interpretation seems to clearly indicate that men ARE superior to women. To say that a woman has a "protector", has a "maintainer", is considered physically weaker than a man, and must be punished and/or beaten for being disloyal, certainly is a clear indication that women are inferior to men. It, therefore, deprecates women.   I fail to see how your interpretation discards the issue of man's superiority.

-------------
"Morty

Date Posted: 10-Jan-2007 at 16:04
Women 'are' weaker then men, generally.Shocked

-------------

Date Posted: 10-Jan-2007 at 16:10

Women 'are' weaker then men, generally.[IMG]height=17 alt=Shocked src="http://www.allempires.com/forum/smileys/smiley3.gif" width=17 align=absMiddle>

...and men can't give birth to babies! soooo, what's your point?

-------------
"Morty

Date Posted: 10-Jan-2007 at 19:02
Originally posted by Telde

The translation of beat (lightly) is debateable according to some interpretations.

True. The prophet disapproved of it too. The prescribed method is a strike with a siwak (a soft stick used for teeth cleaning), which is actually a trick. We tested it, if you get a toothbrush sized object - like a pen, and hit a person with it, most of the force is transmitted into causing the pen to fly from your hand. You can't actually hurt anyone with a siwak, although it would do alot to lessen the anger of the aggressor.
Originally posted by Aelfgifu

'Therefore the righteous women are devoutly obedient'

And this is somehow not degrading to women? Just because men are pysically stronger, they have the right to tell us what to do? Sorry boys, that's not going to cut it for me...

Each to your own. Pretty well this happens in western families anyway.

I fail to see how your interpretation discards the issue of man's superiority.

Its not superiority, its just differents. Men and Women are suited for different things. Like you said, men can't give birth, so its the mans job to "support them from their means".

btw "what Allah would have them guard" is chastity. Thus disloyalty is specifically disloyalty to the marriage.

-------------

Date Posted: 11-Jan-2007 at 09:48
"To say that a woman has a "protector", has a "maintainer", is considered physically weaker than a man."

I was just pointing out that they 'are'. Nothing more nothing less.

-------------

Date Posted: 11-Jan-2007 at 10:36

"To say that a woman has a "protector", has a "maintainer", is considered physically weaker than a man."

I was just pointing out that they 'are'. Nothing more nothing less.

Okay, but the fact that women are "weaker" than men in physical strength does not constitute man's "superiority" over woman. I could just as easily say that women (as procreators) are superior to men, because without women, there's no population....but, women never say that! Women just accept their roles as procreators and leave it at that.

My personal opinion is that men have taken advantage of that "physical strength" over women and have used that strength as a method to threaten, control and manipulate women into doing what they feel is appropriate behaviour in their respective societies.   Women, knowing they can't equal a man's physical strength, would have no choice but to succumb in order to avoid a "beating" or death or who-knows-what-else! The writings contained in 34:4 are clearly intended to instruct men how to manipulate a woman - through fear and bodily harm!   Naughy, naughty boys!

-------------
"Morty

Date Posted: 11-Jan-2007 at 14:08
Ofcourse no one is superior, all men are equal.LOL
Men however generally will dominate women as they have always done, blame evolution.

Women should learn kung-fu, go to the gym and go up a size.Smile

-------------

Posted By: The Grim Reaper
Date Posted: 11-Jan-2007 at 16:43
morticia:

You're entirely making too much of this. In Islam, men are treated as men, and women are treated as women. The end.

Also, bear in mind that women's suffrage only took place in America in the 1920s and prior to then, women were deemed especially inferior to men. Blacks and other minorities were treated as second-class citizens until the late 1960s, and the Native American population in the U.S.A. is virtually non-existent now -especially when compared to their presence in the Americas prior to the 17th Century. My point being that one should look inward prior to criticizing others.

Now, if all these ^^^ things took place in 20th Century America, then you can understand why the Qu'ran, having been written almost 1400 years ago, would state it as such. It wasn't really until the 1970s that American women really began acheiving "equality" (although it is debateable whether they have actually acheived this), and there were texts written and used in American schools in the 20th Century that taught girls and boys that women were inferior to men -now if this was happening in 20th Century America, wouldn't you EXPECT it to happen in 7th Century Arabia???

Wouldn't you expect a book written in 7th Century Arabia to say that women are inferior when 20th Century American textbooks said the same exact thing???

Posted By: Northman
Date Posted: 11-Jan-2007 at 19:36
Originally posted by Omar

The prescribed method is a strike with a siwak (a soft stick used for teeth cleaning), which is actually a trick. We tested it, if you get a toothbrush sized object - like a pen, and hit a person with it, most of the force is transmitted into causing the pen to fly from your hand. You can't actually hurt anyone with a siwak, although it would do alot to lessen the anger of the aggressor.

Are you serious Omar?
This sounds more like a symbolic ritual than a physical punishment.
In any case, I would never try that on my wife - she, or maybe even both of us, would die from laughing too hard if I came charging at her with a teethbrush or toothpick.Smile

That aside, of course Morty has a point. Not only related to Muslims, but to all old religions and tribal traditions (which largely is analog) - maybe aside from certain directions of Christanity who dismiss the Old Testament.
Oppressed women was also the norm in all western countries until 40 years ago, and it still is the norm, maybe in more cases than we are willing to admit.  

The difference in behavior and perception as I see it, is related to the fact that most westeners moves towards a more liberal attitude towards religion, whereas the followers of the old eastern religions are more Godfearing and respectful towards their (sometimes not so nice) religious leaders who may interpreet the scriptures almost to their own likings.

Another contrast and contributing factor to the difference is, that most western countries actually have laws they enforce, forbidding violence and oppression in any shape or form.

~ Northman

-------------

Date Posted: 12-Jan-2007 at 06:45
Originally posted by Northman

In any case, I would never try that on my wife - she, or maybe even both of us, would die from laughing too hard if I came charging at her with a teethbrush or toothpick.Smile

You can kill a person with a toothpick, stick with the siwak.Tongue You might have to take a bigger run up though.

I think in tribal societies or traditional societies as most Islamic countries are, there is a notion of protectorship afforded to women by her family at all times. So before a man decides to assault his wife he has to twice consider the consequences of being confronted with like from the women's household cavalry. Also the person's reputation will be tarnished as a wife beater, and he will be considered unmanly and thought of poorly(Social pressures). Usually If things get bad a period of separation is followed to allow things to cool off, or the man might approach the women's family to seek mediation. Islamic society place a greater emphasis on the preventative stages, so there are a series of layers of protection, that i find lacking in other models where individualism holds sway over community self policing. (Just an opinion).

In Muslim societies i think the biggest problem is women's ignorance, they dont know their rights and can not take the chauvinist mullahs to task.

Ofcourse there are some men that should never be let to get close to animals let alone get married and have kids. So there will always be some victims.Ouch

-------------

Date Posted: 12-Jan-2007 at 11:11

The prescribed method is a strike with a siwak (a soft stick used for teeth cleaning), which is actually a trick. We tested it, if you get a toothbrush sized object - like a pen, and hit a person with it, most of the force is transmitted into causing the pen to fly from your hand.

Omar, I was on the floor laughing so hard when I read this. If my better half ever came at me with a toothbrush or toothpick, I would certainly fight back with plenty of dental floss!!!!! That'll teach him to mess with me! Oh boy, now I've heard everything!

-------------
"Morty

Date Posted: 12-Jan-2007 at 11:20

In Muslim societies i think the biggest problem is women's ignorance, they dont know their rights and can not take the chauvinist mullahs to task.

Well, women's ignorance is caused by the dominant-male society in not allowing women to get an adequate education, in not allowing women to think for themselves (of course, men call it "protecting" women) [emphasis on sarcasm supplied] and in controlling women via physical harm and mental abuse. Do you disagree?

-------------
"Morty

Date Posted: 12-Jan-2007 at 11:32
Originally posted by The Grim Reaper

You're entirely making too much of this. In Islam, men are treated as men, and women are treated as women. The end.

I beg to differ with you, Grim Reaper. When it comes to women's advancements and Rights, one can NEVER make too much of it. It has not been easy for Western women to obtain some sort of equality (notice I said SOME SORT OF EQUALITY)to that of men. It's taken a lot of blood, sweat and tears and women's rights should be afforded to ALL the women around the globe! Do you not think that is a good and positive thing for women?

The fact remains that women all over the world are still being abused physically and mentally, no matter what their religion...and that, my friend, can NEVER be taken lightly!

-------------
"Morty

Date Posted: 12-Jan-2007 at 12:35

Well, women's ignorance is caused by the dominant-male society in not allowing women to get an adequate education, in not allowing women to think for themselves (of course, men call it "protecting" women) [emphasis on sarcasm supplied] and in controlling women via physical harm and mental abuse. Do you disagree?

If i may correct myself here a little, i was not insinuating that all mullahs are chauvinists. I was saying that those that are can be challenged from the very text and be led out of their ignorance.

At the end i dont see women leading a military campaign against men so the only recourse is to convince by argument. I dont think men inherently lack the ability to understand women, just like women dont with men.Wink 

In the end what do we mean by equality. Do women want to run in the mens 100m.LOL Do they want men to stop standing up for them in buses, i would be naturally inclined to do that, but dont, because i never know if i am going to be dealing with a feminist or a feminine. However most would like someone to get up for them.Wink 

-------------

Date Posted: 12-Jan-2007 at 12:45

I dont think there should even be a womens history sub-forum, do we see a men history forum. Is that sexist? Why should their history be discussed seperately?, can you not be a women and from the mddle ages, or a woman and from columbia?. Is history gender specific? Y do women want seperation?

See!, men can come up with issues.LOLLOL

-------------

Posted By: The Grim Reaper
Date Posted: 12-Jan-2007 at 14:07

I beg to differ with you, Grim Reaper. When it comes to women's advancements and Rights, one can NEVER make too much of it. It has not been easy for Western women to obtain some sort of equality (notice I said SOME SORT OF EQUALITY)to that of men. It's taken a lot of blood, sweat and tears and women's rights should be afforded to ALL the women around the globe! Do you not think that is a good and positive thing for women?

The fact remains that women all over the world are still being abused physically and mentally, no matter what their religion...and that, my friend, can NEVER be taken lightly!

I did not say that you were "making too much of [women's rights]" ....

I said that you were "making too much of [how a book written in the 7th Century perceived women]" .......

Of course, the advancement in women's rights is a good thing! It's an excellent thing!

I also know that if the Qu'ran was written in the 21st Century, then the "place of women" in Islamic society would be completely different.

Do you understand that reasoning???Shocked

Posted By: Hellios
Date Posted: 12-Jan-2007 at 15:50

I dont think there should even be a womens history sub-forum, do we see a men history forum. Is that sexist? Why should their history be discussed seperately?, can you not be a women and from the mddle ages, or a woman and from columbia?. Is history gender specific? Y do women want seperation? See!, men can come up with issues. LOLLOL 

That's why I stopped posting much in this sub-forum, because special focus on women contradicts the principals of equality.

Date Posted: 12-Jan-2007 at 16:35
Originally posted by Hellios

I dont think there should even be a womens history sub-forum, do we see a men history forum. Is that sexist? Why should their history be discussed seperately?, can you not be a women and from the mddle ages, or a woman and from columbia?. Is history gender specific? Y do women want seperation? See!, men can come up with issues. LOLLOL 

That's why I stopped posting much in this sub-forum, because special focus on women contradicts the principals of equality.

I think its perfectly fine with a womens forum - I would even stretch to call it a necessity if we aim to recognize and treat men AND women equal for what they have done through history.
Prior to the creation of this forum, hardly any historical woman was mentioned on AE
Its not only insane dictators, testosterone haunted generals and ancient Gods and prophets that ought to be forgotten who created the history of which we all are a product.  

This forum is a live proof of that.

~ Northman

-------------

Date Posted: 12-Jan-2007 at 17:44
Personally I have as much sympathy for women who whinge about their inequality in religion as I would a black man who joins the Ku Klux Klan and then gets a niggling feeling he might not be getting treated as well as the other members.

-------------

Date Posted: 12-Jan-2007 at 18:38

Okay, but the fact that women are "weaker" than men in physical strength does not constitute man's "superiority" over woman. I could just as easily say that women (as procreators) are superior to men, because without women, there's no population....but, women never say that! Women just accept their roles as procreators and leave it at that.

Agree 100%. This was my point.

Are you serious Omar?
In any case, I would never try that on my wife - she, or maybe even both of us, would die from laughing too hard if I came charging at her with a teethbrush or toothpick.

Thats what the holy scriptures say.

Omar, I was on the floor laughing so hard when I read this. If my better half ever came at me with a toothbrush or toothpick, I would certainly fight back with plenty of dental floss!!!!! That'll teach him to mess with me! Oh boy, now I've heard everything!

. Its not allowed to be a stab either, it has to be a strike.
Originally posted by Maliai

At the end i dont see women leading a military campaign against men so the only recourse is to convince by argument.

Hazrat Aisha the prophets wife has already led military campaigns, commanding men against men. Actually women have a long history of fighting in the Arab tribes (I mean strictly Arab Arab, not Egyptian/Syrian/Iraqi/Palestinian)

-------------

Date Posted: 12-Jan-2007 at 19:58

Originally posted by Maliai

At the end i dont see women leading a military campaign against men so the only recourse is to convince by argument.

Hazrat Aisha the prophets wife has already led military campaigns, commanding men against men. Actually women have a long history of fighting in the Arab tribes (I mean strictly Arab Arab, not Egyptian/Syrian/Iraqi/Palestinian)

That wasn't meant to be taken literallyLOL. Aisha didnt raise an army of women and she wasnt commanding, rather inciting.LOL Anyhow Aisha lost that one.LOL

Dont worry Northman i am not going to ask for a seperate men forum, and i know i wouldnt get one.Tongue

-------------

Date Posted: 12-Jan-2007 at 20:19

Personally I have as much sympathy for women who whinge about their inequality in religion as I would a black man who joins the Ku Klux Klan and then gets a niggling feeling he might not be getting treated as well as the other members.

Although I like analogy's like this to put things in another perspective, I think your comparison miss the target completely.
If it should have been valid, the black man should have been born into the membership of KKK.
Most women, including the ones in question here, are born into their religion - noone ever asked them to join and they certainly never asked for the ill treatments which were extended to them.

-------------

Date Posted: 12-Jan-2007 at 22:26

[quote=Northman]Are you serious Omar?
In any case, I would never try that on my wife - she, or maybe even both of us, would die from laughing too hard if I came charging at her with a teethbrush or toothpick.

Thats what the holy scriptures say.
[quote]

That's what the "sunna" says that isn't holy scripture that is a man-made compliation of what the Prophet(pbuh), might or might not have said. 

Date Posted: 12-Jan-2007 at 22:58

I think it is time that this issue is taken by its horn and answered academically.(Boy do i hate religious discussions)Pinch

If anyone is interested in a serious discussion can they firstly tell me what they think is the purpose of this ayah. I will only subject myself to a tedious reply by the measure of the response.

-------------

Date Posted: 12-Jan-2007 at 23:18

Although I like analogy's like this to put things in another perspective, I think your comparison miss the target completely.
If it should have been valid, the black man should have been born into the membership of KKK.
Most women, including the ones in question here, are born into their religion - noone ever asked them to join and they certainly never asked for the ill treatments which were extended to them.

Man is a unique creature, he has a brain capable of creative thought and of developing beyond his cultural condition. Even a few women have this ability too. So no excuses for not using it. Being born into a religion environment is no excuse for a women not to abandon it.

Reality is I think women who are oppressed by religion quite enjoy it. Society conditioned in them a masochistic streak and they revell in thier bondage. In most cases in repressive religious societies, men and women are highly segregated.  It's  the older genration of of women who break the spirits of the younger women not the men.

-------------

Date Posted: 13-Jan-2007 at 06:38

Of course, all of Allempires is a men's history forum. As most of the member seem not able to include women in their normal accounts of history, this forum is necessary...Wink

-------------

Date Posted: 13-Jan-2007 at 06:40

Man is a unique creature, he has a brain capable of creative thought and of developing beyond his cultural condition. Even a few women have this ability too. So no excuses for not using it. Being born into a religion environment is no excuse for a women not to abandon it.

Reality is I think women who are oppressed by religion quite enjoy it. Society conditioned in them a masochistic streak and they revell in thier bondage. In most cases in repressive religious societies, men and women are highly segregated.  It's  the older genration of of women who break the spirits of the younger women not the men.

Nice attempt at provocation Paul. But I will not bite.

-------------

Date Posted: 13-Jan-2007 at 07:10

You are so right Paul - oppressed and abused women enjoys it. Wink

A good example is my own wife.

Every morning she greets me with a smile in the kitchen - my breakfast is already prepared and she looks at her master with the most adoring look in her eyes
Yesterday, I couldnt quite understand why she kept turning her right cheek at me until I realized I had forgotten her usual hard slap across her face.
Of course I slapped her - real hard - I want to keep her happy.

-------------

Date Posted: 13-Jan-2007 at 14:20
I wouldn't say women enjoy a subordinate position, but I think Paul has a point when he says that it's often the older generation of women who break the will of the younger generation. Female genetical mutilation in East Africa for example, is most vigourously supported (and performed) by the older women there.

-------------

Date Posted: 14-Jan-2007 at 01:22
Reality is I think women who are oppressed by religion quite enjoy it. Society conditioned in them a masochistic streak and they revell in thier bondage. In most cases in repressive religious societies, men and women are highly segregated.  It's  the older genration of of women who break the spirits of the younger women not the men.

Its the older generation of women to enforce segregation on their male children too. Not that segregation is always bad thing of course.
Although what you basically said here is that oppression is in the eye of the beholder.

-------------

Date Posted: 14-Jan-2007 at 09:49

Of course, all of Allempires is a men's history forum. As most of the member seem not able to include women in their normal accounts of history, this forum is necessary...Wink

If all the accounts of prominent women's history were written without hinderance and obstacle, do you think they will equal mens?

I honestly can't see how men have reduced AE women to the AE kitchen. If anything, i think because of disproportionate women representation in membership, overwhelmingly majority of men have been extraordinarily supportive of women's contribution. One just needs to look at the reception Mila got to welcome her back.

-------------

Date Posted: 14-Jan-2007 at 11:33

I think its perfectly fine with a womens forum - I would even stretch to call it a necessity if we aim to recognize and treat men AND women equal for what they have done through history. Prior to the creation of this forum, hardly any historical woman was mentioned on AE
Its not only insane dictators, testosterone haunted generals and ancient Gods and prophets that ought to be forgotten who created the history of which we all are a product. This forum is a live proof of that. 

Look up equality.

Of course, all of Allempires is a men's history forum. As most of the member seem not able to include women in their normal accounts of history, this forum is necessary...Wink 

AE is everybody's.

Date Posted: 14-Jan-2007 at 18:04

Look up equality.

Equal representation - lack of equality was the reason this forum was created in the first place, and there still remains quite a way to go. Wink

-------------

Date Posted: 14-Jan-2007 at 19:24
Equal representation isn't the definition of equality & equal representation means everyone gets the same means of representation & under-represented people should achieve equal representation within the framework of general society & not by doing what they're supposed to be against.

Date Posted: 14-Jan-2007 at 20:05

Equal representation isn't the definition of equality & equal representation means everyone gets the same means of representation & under-represented people should achieve equal representation within the framework of general society & not by doing what they're supposed to be against.

Totally agree.....    And - when the equal representation doesnt happen, we create a forum for Womens History. 
Fair and square.

And in the total of my 60 year old life, I never met a woman opposing a bit of special treatment - in all aspects Wink

Dont you think they deserve it? Big%20smile

-------------

Date Posted: 14-Jan-2007 at 21:16

Ah.... reminds me of the Women's issue of the magazine.
http://img300.imageshack.us/img300/9316/picas6.jpg -

and the last paragraph of the editorial.

http://www.allempires.com/article/index.php?q=july_monthly_features - http://www.allempires.com/article/index.php?q=july_monthly_features

Louise Labe wrote, “if any woman becomes so proficient as to be able to write down her thoughts, let her do so, and not despise the honour but rather flaunt it instead of fine clothes, necklaces, and rings...”

-------------

Posted By: Akolouthos
Date Posted: 14-Jan-2007 at 22:22

Even though there is ample evidence of women’s leadership in the early church, such leadership became increasingly prohibited as the church became a public institution, as it was not considered proper for women to hold leadership positions in public.   

There is evidence proving that there was an order of deaconesses in the Church up until--I believe--somewhere around the ninth century (I might have made that date up; feel free to check it). There is also evidence that ordination to the female diaconate was sacramental. Many have suggested reviving the ancient order of deaconesses, and I believe some local churches may have done it. There is not however, strong evidence for the presence of a female order of presbyters in the early Church.

As for whether or not this constitutes female "oppression," I guess that depends on your understanding of Christianity. The Church understands that women and men possess different, but equally important roles.

-Akolouthos

Date Posted: 14-Jan-2007 at 22:45

Dont you think they deserve it? Big%20smile 

Hehe, I can't say no to that. Smile
Sorry for jousting with you earlier - was having a bad day here.
You're right - when there's lack of certain subject matter, a sub-forum is a good idea & I wish we could do it for all human segments of society who's contributions to history are under-represented. 

Date Posted: 15-Jan-2007 at 13:23

Abandon it? ....at the risk of being stoned to death or burned at the stake? Outspoken women regarding religion (or any other subject for that matter) were unheard of in the olden days . Indeed, there are still some countries where women cannot look directly at a man’s face without being punished. Oppression is not easy to overcome and takes many many years of tolerance and changes to make even a slight indentation. Women just need to be relentless, patience, and keep “harping” on it, even at the risk of annoying men, which is understandable. Men just have to learn to deal with it!

Reality is I think women who are oppressed by religion quite enjoy it. Society conditioned in them a masochistic streak and they revell in thier bondage. In most cases in repressive religious societies, men and women are highly segregated.  It's  the older genration of of women who break the spirits of the younger women not the men

Ouch! I just got whiplashed by those comments! The truth of the matter is that the spirit of the older generation of women was broken by MEN. In reality, I think that men are resentful of all the “power” they’ve lost over women and they just can’t stand it. Those feminists, huh? How dare they? What a bunch of greedy b_ _ tches!

-------------
"Morty

Date Posted: 15-Jan-2007 at 13:42
Originally posted by Mixcoatl

I wouldn't say women enjoy a subordinate position, but I think Paul has a point when he says that it's often the older generation of women who break the will of the younger generation. Female genetical mutilation in East Africa for example, is most vigourously supported (and performed) by the older women there.

Genital mutilation is the custom in many parts of Africa. Genital mutilation is performed in order to kill the sexual urges of a woman, so they may remain loyal and faithful to their husbands and have no sexual appetite for another man. Again, a painful procedure endured by a woman to appease the men.   

-------------
"Morty

Date Posted: 15-Jan-2007 at 13:44

Tsk, Tsk, Tsk...I'm afraid there's just no hope for you, Paul!   

-------------
"Morty

Date Posted: 16-Jan-2007 at 21:29
I personally blame the XY chromosomes, they wanted to break away from the XX and create their own faction. Aren't men born as women till the Y chromosome actually kicks in.

-------------

Date Posted: 16-Jan-2007 at 22:33

Originally posted by Mixcoatl

Genital mutilation is the custom in many parts of Africa. Genital mutilation is performed in order to kill the sexual urges of a woman, so they may remain loyal and faithful to their husbands and have no sexual appetite for another man. Again, a painful procedure endured by a woman to appease the men.   

Actually it's not endured by women to appease men. This implies a willing victim resigned to their fate. Actually genital mutilation is performed upon a helpless and unwilling child, by women, the child having no concept of appeasing men.

Please explain the difference between this act performed upon a child by women, and a rape performed upon a women by a man.

And before you answer if you consider the former to be pre-conditioned cultural act. Are you condoning rape as a pre-conditioned cultural act by men?

-------------

Date Posted: 16-Jan-2007 at 22:50

Abandon it? ....at the risk of being stoned to death or burned at the stake? Outspoken women regarding religion (or any other subject for that matter) were unheard of in the olden days . Indeed, there are still some countries where women cannot look directly at a man’s face without being punished. Oppression is not easy to overcome and takes many many years of tolerance and changes to make even a slight indentation. Women just need to be relentless, patience, and keep “harping” on it, even at the risk of annoying men, which is understandable. Men just have to learn to deal with it!

Reality is I think women who are oppressed by religion quite enjoy it. Society conditioned in them a masochistic streak and they revell in thier bondage. In most cases in repressive religious societies, men and women are highly segregated.  It's  the older genration of of women who break the spirits of the younger women not the men

Ouch! I just got whiplashed by those comments! The truth of the matter is that the spirit of the older generation of women was broken by MEN. In reality, I think that men are resentful of all the “power” they’ve lost over women and they just can’t stand it. Those feminists, huh? How dare they? What a bunch of greedy b_ _ tches!

Again the older generation of women weren't broken by men but an even older generation of women. Who inturn were broken by women too. It's endemic.

Personally I've never regarded feminists as a power threat, great comedy, but no power threat.... A post-feminist, now that's a different story.

I think the tombstone of feminism is either Afghanistan or Saudi Arabia.

South Africa was a country that had apartied. Outside the South African embassy, were men, not black but white, who sat in candlight vigil. Companies boycotted the place, songs like free Nelson Mandela were sung and soon enough the white regime came crashing down.

What did women do about the Taliban regime in Afghanistan, which treated women worse than blacks were treated in South Africa? What do they do now about Saudi Arabia? Or ever? What do the feminists of this forum at this precise moment post about Saudi Arabia? The answer to all these questions is sweet Jack.

If women, not Saudi women, but modern western feminist women had half the gumption of men who protested over apartied.............

-------------

Date Posted: 17-Jan-2007 at 10:19

Are you condoning rape as a pre-conditioned cultural act by men?

No, Paul, I do not.

-------------
"Morty

Posted By: The_Jackal_God
Date Posted: 21-Jan-2007 at 15:49
" Outspoken women regarding religion (or any other subject for that matter) were unheard of in the olden days ."

when you say things like that, it seems like you haven't had much experience of religion or knowledge of christian history.

let's see: martyrs of the early church - held up and venerated since the get-go: agnes, cecilia, philomena, catherine of alexandria (also an intellectual), agatha, ad infinitum.

second, deaconesses: do you know what the role of the deacons/deaconesses were in the early church? women religious orders and congregations have more than usurped their role. which brings us to another point.

the women religious orders turned out many powerful, influential women in history. in fact, religion was the vehicle that gave these women voices. you have Catherine of Sienna dictating to the popes what they have to do. Teresa of Avila who was fire incarnate. and plenty others,, providing all types of contributions to society, whether helping the poor, teaching, or helping immigrants (Mother Cabrini). there is plenty of history there for you to acquaint yourself with if you choose to do so rather than cling to your pre-conceived notions. And of course, your false assumptions ignore the power and fearful cadres of ruler-wielding irish nuns who have taught generation after generation of school children, so influential during their formative years.

sorry if i'm coming on strong, but your sweeping statements are embittered with prejudicial intolerance of somthing your not familiar with, and these statements get repeated over and over. it would be unfortunate that the true history get obscured by repititious rantings of those biased against it. it just makes more unnecessary work for future historians to unravel.

Posted By: Mumbloid
Date Posted: 06-Jun-2007 at 03:53
here for you girls.

I found online a religion who does not discriminate women

http://www.womanthouartgod.com - www.womanthouartgod.com

Wink

Date Posted: 06-Jun-2007 at 05:28
There are more religions than that one.
 Wicca for example, and various other forms of Paganism.

-------------

Print Page | Close Window

Bulletin Board Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 9.56a - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2009 Web Wiz - http://www.webwizguide.com