Print Page | Close Window

today I purchase MEDIEVAL 2 TOTAL WAR

Printed From: History Community ~ All Empires
Category: All Empires Community
Forum Name: Gaming and Information Technology
Forum Discription: Technology and Computer-related discussions; PC and Video Games…
URL: http://www.allempires.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=16134
Printed Date: 27-Apr-2024 at 17:35
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 9.56a - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: today I purchase MEDIEVAL 2 TOTAL WAR
Posted By: Nisse99
Subject: today I purchase MEDIEVAL 2 TOTAL WAR
Date Posted: 10-Nov-2006 at 18:05

As a total war fan ,  you hade many expactations on medieval 2 total war. So far I can say just  after several hours playing the game I didnt found it so funny to play, still I have to admit that the game has a attractive force.

Looking closer to the game I found many similiraties to Rome. I got the impression that the main diffrence between Rome and Medival total war 2 is the age you play. Medieval 2 is a almost a copy of Rome , except that it takes plays in mevdeival times as the games name.  

Of course where there some diffrence things about it , but it didnt feel like it made the game much better then Rome.  Part from the graphics that is a big improvment from Rome the functoins and type of playing the game is the same.

I doenst feel medieval when you play it.  In compare to Medieval total war ,  it hasnt got the medieval concept and feeling like its forerunner.  

The most enjoy and exceminet new feature in the game is that all the units are medivel compare to rome, and you have to think in a little bit diffrent way because of the more number of units it contains.

I could'nt enjoy as much as I hopped  but I have only been playing it for one day, but I hope you will find it exciting and worth playing

Have fun while playing

Replies:
Posted By: Penelope
Date Posted: 10-Nov-2006 at 23:14
Thanks, i am going to purchase today.

Posted By: Nisse99
Date Posted: 11-Nov-2006 at 13:16
how the hell do you unlock the other factions to play, I just toke a short campaing in hope that in short time I will be abale to play other factions, daamn it , it must be a way to unlock the factions

can anybody tell how to do it

Posted By: Paul
Date Posted: 11-Nov-2006 at 14:42
With Rome Total War which will probably be the same.

You open the Rome Total War file, iside that Data, then World, then Maps, then Campaign, then Imperial Campaign.

Inside is a text file Descr_Strat

Open it up and cut and paste all factions into the Playable list.

I shouldn't imagine medieval will be much different.

-------------
Light blue touch paper and stand well back

http://www.maquahuitl.co.uk - http://www.maquahuitl.co.uk

http://www.toltecitztli.co.uk - http://www.toltecitztli.co.uk

Posted By: NikeBG
Date Posted: 13-Nov-2006 at 06:37
All factions, except the Rebels (I believe there were some others as well). Otherwise, if you place the Rebels in the playable factions, you might face some... problems... At least, that's what was being said about R:TW, I'm not sure for M2...

Posted By: DayI
Date Posted: 13-Nov-2006 at 15:11
tryed to download... 6.3gb uhm uhm, 2 dvd's ok i'll purchase it :D 

-------------
Bu mıntıka'nın Dayı'sı
http://imageshack.us - [IMG - http://www.allempires.com/forum/uploads/DayI/2006-03-17_164450_bscap021.jpg -

Posted By: vulkan02
Date Posted: 13-Nov-2006 at 22:55
I tried doing the "playable" thing in this game but it won't work.Unhappy Actually most factions are already in the playable section but they won't let me pick em anyways!!

-------------
The beginning of a revolution is in reality the end of a belief - Le Bon
Destroy first and construction will look after itself - Mao

Posted By: Brainstorm
Date Posted: 14-Nov-2006 at 04:19
They can improve more and more graphics..
but the real difference and revolution would be ,to be able to play multi-player campaign game.

Just think of it...conquering ,or just looting your friend's cities and lands!
..Awsome...

Posted By: Jazz
Date Posted: 26-Nov-2006 at 01:46
Have they changed the time-frame from Years to Turns?

That was what I was hearing before...I hope not.Thumbs Down

-------------
http://www.forums.internationalhockey.net/index.php?/index.php?referrerid=8 - International Hockey Forums

Posted By: Constantine XI
Date Posted: 26-Nov-2006 at 03:29
Honestly, I have been playing it since it came out a week ago and I am a little disappointed. They need better gameplay, not graphics. They should study AOE II Expansion to see what made a real game truly priceless.

-------------

Posted By: Batu
Date Posted: 26-Nov-2006 at 04:51
i bought the game and took HRE.man they are good.the game is good.really good...

-------------
A wizard is never late,nor he is early he arrives exactly when he means to :) ( Gandalf the White in the Third Age of History Empire Of Istari )

Posted By: Seljuk
Date Posted: 26-Nov-2006 at 07:04
Game has some bugs hopefully they will fix it soon. But still it is great and gives a nice challange!

-------------

Posted By: Lmprs
Date Posted: 26-Nov-2006 at 08:35
There are three types of civilization: Northern European, Southern European and Middle Eastern...

Turks and Mongols are indistinguishable to Arabs. The same thing goes for the Spanish and Byzantines, Russia & England.

Anatolia is a desert with palm trees... And no snow...

-------------

Date Posted: 26-Nov-2006 at 23:04

I purchased the game, but was unable to play it becuase it says that i need a shader 1.1 thingy, so unfortunatly i will have to send it back for a refund. I'm a little discouraged about the situation but its cool since i can still play RTW.

Posted By: Roberts
Date Posted: 27-Nov-2006 at 13:12
I am dissapointed with this game, because the gameplay is really bad. There is no real challange. The battle AI is stupid and the campaign map brings me headaches. Not to point out some ballant errors about history. To me it seems that game developers were doing hackwork on this one.
Hopefully the mods will improve this game dramatically, because I can't play it no more. I bought this game to play mods latter on just like with Rome:TW which I bought for the same reason. The game is not worth 50$ for me.

-------------

Date Posted: 27-Nov-2006 at 19:38
Originally posted by axeman

I am dissapointed with this game, because the gameplay is really bad. There is no real challange. The battle AI is stupid and the campaign map brings me headaches. Not to point out some ballant errors about history. To me it seems that game developers were doing hackwork on this one.
Hopefully the mods will improve this game dramatically, because I can't play it no more. I bought this game to play mods latter on just like with Rome:TW which I bought for the same reason. The game is not worth 50$ for me.

I think i'll be better off playing RTW with mods as well. The system requirements for medieval 2 make no sense what-so-ever. No game is worth having to spend a lot of money to upgrade your computer or purchase a new computer for that matter.

Date Posted: 27-Nov-2006 at 20:00
Originally posted by axeman

I totally agree with axeman here, I'm hanging out for the mods to make this better. What really annoys me is how commerce works in this game. For some reason even though my merchant has a commerce rating of 9 and the other merchant has a rating of like 4, my attempt at an acquisition still only has a 40% chance of success. That totally makes no sense.

Then there are the units. I mean come on, a dismounted chivalric knight and a dismounted feudal knight have only one difference: the chivalric knight has 1 extra point of defence. What sort of a major advantage is that? The same with the mounted versions of those knights.

-------------

Posted By: Krum
Date Posted: 29-Nov-2006 at 10:18
The game has many problems and of course it's main disadvantage is that some important nations arе missing and the game si mostly pro-western oriented.I mean there are variety of units in western countries while in the others the choice is more limited.May be authors should made more region including more cities.

-------------
It is only the dead who have seen the end of war.
Plato

Posted By: The Canadian Guy
Date Posted: 07-Dec-2006 at 21:53
All of you are hippies. lol jk. LOL I like it. I just bought it today. I am also a Total War fan.

-------------
Hate and anger is the fuel of war, while religion and politics is the foundation of it.

Date Posted: 08-Dec-2006 at 02:22
Yep, I'm definitely over it. The longbows aren't so ultra powerful like I remember in the old MTW. I think that the total war team seems to improve on graphics every season, but seems to decline on gameplay.

-------------

Date Posted: 17-Dec-2006 at 22:05
Originally posted by The Canadian Guy

All of you are hippies. lol jk. LOL I like it. I just bought it today. I am also a Total War fan.

I agree, we are all hippies.

Date Posted: 21-Dec-2006 at 18:48
As my friend would say "gawdammed hippies, they're all alike!" Commenting on our camping trip, near night time we were throwing flares into the fire and setting off firecrackers in the sky and other campers on the mainland watched it for 10 minutes until they yell to us "were going to bed, GOODNIGHT!". At 9.00pm!!!!

Who goes to bed during a camping trip at 9.00 frickin PM. The night is best for camping IMO. TongueWinkShocked

-------------
Hate and anger is the fuel of war, while religion and politics is the foundation of it.

Posted By: Cywr
Date Posted: 29-Dec-2006 at 22:50
Got this and installed and played it last night.
Sweet is all i can say at this stage.

-------------
Arrrgh!!"

Date Posted: 30-Dec-2006 at 04:03
Originally posted by Cywr

Got this and installed and played it last night.Sweet is all i can say at this stage.

In the next stage you might say "battle AI is still dumb as dirt".
And on the last stage - "I'll continue to play this game only when any serious mod comes out".

Too bad that you don't need strategy to win TW battles since Rome: TW.
If anyone of you have played Shogun TW or Medieval TW than you probably remember the superiour AI in those games.

-------------

Date Posted: 30-Dec-2006 at 11:32
I hadn't noticed, i was too busy 'stealing' generals with my princeses and mucking about with merchants. Pretty much all battles i have fought have been on auto-resolve so far.

-------------
Arrrgh!!"

Date Posted: 11-Jan-2007 at 02:34
How do you improve priests to increase their chances of becoming cardinals?

BTW, battles aren't that bad, sieges are rather fun even.

-------------
Arrrgh!!"

Date Posted: 11-Jan-2007 at 02:40

How do you improve priests to increase their chances of becoming cardinals?

BTW, battles aren't that bad, sieges are rather fun even.

Send those priests to pagan, muslim or orthodox lands so they could convert population.
Another way could be to fight every heretic you encounter.

-------------

Date Posted: 11-Jan-2007 at 02:56
Hmm, that was kind of obvious i guess (yet i never thought of it).
Abit unfair on the English though, so far away from teh action.
OK, so theres the plan, a ship with a spy and some priests to N. Africa.

-------------
Arrrgh!!"

Date Posted: 20-Jan-2007 at 23:02
Dont forget to send more princesses to capture generals.

Posted By: Top Gun
Date Posted: 21-Jan-2007 at 04:30
I bought it last and my computer could almost handle it but just to slow and the gameplay was gone from rome total war to enemys that are spreading every where where you can make a gap with them then the historical battles are too very inacurate and the music is awful

this is the worst of the total war series

-------------

Date Posted: 21-Jan-2007 at 07:07
Originally posted by Top Gun

this is the worst of the total war series

Total war series became pretty bad since RomeTW.
Shogun and Medieval TW were good old days when gameplay and AI was very essential part of game, not like the current arcadish feeling.

-------------

Posted By: Batu
Date Posted: 21-Jan-2007 at 08:18
there are no field battles anymore.siege and capture siege and capture.boooring

-------------
A wizard is never late,nor he is early he arrives exactly when he means to :) ( Gandalf the White in the Third Age of History Empire Of Istari )

Date Posted: 22-Jan-2007 at 00:42
Top Gun, i agree, the MTW2 music is the worst music to date.

Date Posted: 22-Jan-2007 at 08:46
Meh, the music is just dull. I suspect a mod will replace it soon enough.

Just finished my first game as England, and have since started a new one as Sicily.
Its an improvement on vanilla RTW overall IMHO. The strategy map is now slightly more interesting, diplomacy is actualy worth bothering with. Having multiple guilds, the nobles and the pope (if you're catholic), to hand out missions and such makes the game more interesting.
I was unsure about the city/castle thing at first, but its grown on me, it represents the trade off that happened in the time, the rise of the market town and all. Still, could have perhaps been done differently.

The game is more siege oriented, but that i ssomewhat representative of the era. Indeed, sieges in this game are actualy interesting, i can't say the same for RTW, where it was an annoying chore (i prefered to wait them out).
I still have plenty of field battles, though i much prefer to meet an unexoected invading armies on the walls, most cost effective way to defeat them it seems.

AI is less stupid about attacking field armies it seems. In RTW i would sometimes fortify a border by placing a stack on a bridge, and wave after wave of enemy troops would try and die to get past it. In MTWII they seem smarter.

Being tired of those pesky Danes continiously attacking my Flemish/Dutch cities, losing, and then sueing for peace, i placed such a stack (2 merceany french spearmen, 3 swordsmen 8 elitelongbows and 2 of those rocketcannonthingies) on the bridge over the Rhine thta was the only route to my flemmish cities (save for a long detour through German territory, or by sea), and that was the end of the Danich threat. They even offered me a gift of cash (albeit a pathetic few hundreds).
In fact the AI seems to a connection between "hugeass stacks on the border" and "probably difficult to invade that faction", which helps to make diplomacy more sensible.

Also the AI seems to take risks, often pulling most of a castle garrison out of the city to meet an army in the field before it reaches the castle (leaving only 2 or so units in the castle). I don't recall this happeing much in RTW.

The battle AI remains a bit thick though, and there are still a few bugs here that need tidying up.
The strategy part of the game has been niecely improved IMHO. However, the battle engine seems to only have had a cosmetic fix, and, whilst it does look better (upgraded units appearing slightly different is a nice touch), it a bit dissapointing that they didn't give more attention to AI behaviour here.

In the long run, we can expect some interesting mods i suspect (hope even).

-------------
Arrrgh!!"

Date Posted: 22-Jan-2007 at 09:50

The game is more siege oriented, but that i ssomewhat representative of the era. Indeed, sieges in this game are actualy interesting, i can't say the same for RTW, where it was an annoying chore (i prefered to wait them out).
I still have plenty of field battles, though i much prefer to meet an unexoected invading armies on the walls, most cost effective way to defeat them it seems.

AI is less stupid about attacking field armies it seems. In RTW i would sometimes fortify a border by placing a stack on a bridge, and wave after wave of enemy troops would try and die to get past it. In MTWII they seem smarter.
I can't agree more

Also the AI seems to take risks, often pulling most of a castle garrison out of the city to meet an army in the field before it reaches the castle (leaving only 2 or so units in the castle). I don't recall this happeing much in RTW.
I always take advantage of that. Reguardless who they are. But I tend to spy on the former garrisons movments. Just in case.

The battle AI remains a bit thick though, and there are still a few bugs here that need tidying up.
The strategy part of the game has been niecely improved IMHO. However, the battle engine seems to only have had a cosmetic fix, and, whilst it does look better (upgraded units appearing slightly different is a nice touch), it a bit dissapointing that they didn't give more attention to AI behaviour here.

In the long run, we can expect some interesting mods i suspect (hope even).

I just got the update. The AI has been improved alot. The Inquisitors are not much of a threat anymore, but still a mini one.

BTW has any M2 player realised that the Aztecs have a asian style buildings on the battlefield.

I was no happy about a couple things in the update that should had been there: 1) Faction Heir Seletion, 2) City non-battle view

-------------

Date Posted: 22-Jan-2007 at 11:26
What update are you using?
The latest AFAIk is 1.1. Or is there a newer one?

-------------
Arrrgh!!"

Date Posted: 22-Jan-2007 at 15:20
1.1 why? I read what is updated and I did relise that the ai is not as stupid.

-------------

Date Posted: 22-Jan-2007 at 16:29
Hmm, OK, well i never played as 1.0, so i can't compare.

-------------
Arrrgh!!"

Date Posted: 23-Jan-2007 at 05:49
ahhh. Well you will like th update, if you have M2

-------------

Date Posted: 23-Jan-2007 at 16:30
I already have it, i patched it right after my first ever install.

Playing as Venice now, i got gangbanged in my Sicily game :(

-------------
Arrrgh!!"

Date Posted: 23-Jan-2007 at 17:39
Sicily always annoys me that way. Every time I conquer the Med. coast. They seem to be gutsy that way.

-------------

Date Posted: 03-Apr-2007 at 11:25
So, the vanilla game has gotten boring. Anyone recomend any goo mods?

-------------
Arrrgh!!"

Date Posted: 03-Apr-2007 at 17:35
Soon Bulgarian Total War 2 mod will be finished.It will add Bulgaria as a new faction.There will be many other changes.

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=91166 - http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=91166

-------------
Plato

Date Posted: 03-Apr-2007 at 17:54
Will they have those nifty Bulgaria Bandit archers?

-------------
Arrrgh!!"

Date Posted: 04-Apr-2007 at 07:56

So, the vanilla game has gotten boring. Anyone recomend any goo mods?

Well there aren't any good mods out yet, because of M2's limited modding possiblilities. Only improved gameplay mods comes to my mind, like "Anno Domini", "Lands to Conquer". Though overall nothing spectacular.

But the good news is that yesterday community members released beta version tool for 3D model editing, finally the work can be started on large mods.

-------------

Date Posted: 04-Apr-2007 at 08:00
Yeah, i've been eyeing AD, but the longass build times made me wary.

-------------
Arrrgh!!"

Posted By: Gundamor
Date Posted: 04-Apr-2007 at 08:01
Patch is out tomorrow 650 MB ouch. I'd wait for it then go from there. 

-------------
"An eye for an eye only ends up making the whole world blind"

Date Posted: 04-Apr-2007 at 11:54
Yeah, hopefully this patch will fix major errors, like two handed weapon bug, shield bug, pikemen bug, shooting distance at fleeing enemies bug, cavalry bug + improve AI.

-------------

Date Posted: 05-Apr-2007 at 11:36

Of course.
There will be 23 bulgarian units.Ifantry units(9),Missile units(4),machinery(4),cavalry(4) and mercenaries(2).Some changes are possible.

-------------
Plato

Date Posted: 05-Apr-2007 at 12:41
Originally posted by Krum

Of course.
There will be 23 bulgarian units.Ifantry units(9),Missile units(4),machinery(4),cavalry(4) and mercenaries(2).Some changes are possible.

Isn't that too many? 9 infantry units ??? IMO the cavalry played big importance in Bulgarian warfare.

-------------

Date Posted: 05-Apr-2007 at 12:53
Not in the Second Bulgarian Empire.The cavalry was in small numbers.In fact bulgarians used mainly their heavy cavalry and hired mercenaries for light cavalry(cumans,tatars).So the infantry was the backbone of the army of SBE.

-------------
Plato

Posted By: John the Kern
Date Posted: 09-Apr-2007 at 14:10
I enjoy Medieval 2, i wish the bloody Diplomacy was better though, like in knights of Honour. The Battles are fun and the new graphics are great im disappointed with the longbowmen though , and what the hell is with the Sherwood Archers ?? almost as bad as Roman War Dogs in RTW.

-------------
My peoples tale is written in blood

Date Posted: 07-Jun-2007 at 12:41
I wish that your country's elected pope can benefit your nation greatly, not just get very high respects. You should at least issue edicts. BTW I can't wait for M2TW: Kingdoms come out. You get to play as many great non-European nations in the Americas. Tlaxcala, Aztecs, Mayans, Apachis(I think that is how it is spelled) and I hope the Ojibwa peoples are in there too. I would love that because I am Ojibwa, the third largest nation above Mexico at one point.

-------------

Date Posted: 07-Jun-2007 at 18:17
Originally posted by The Canadian Guy

I wish that your country's elected pope can benefit your nation greatly, not just get very high respects. You should at least issue edicts. BTW I can't wait for M2TW: Kingdoms come out. You get to play as many great non-European nations in the Americas. Tlaxcala, Aztecs, Mayans, Apachis(I think that is how it is spelled) and I hope the Ojibwa peoples are in there too. I would love that because I am Ojibwa, the third largest nation above Mexico at one point.

Hey everyone,

does anyone have information as to when this upgrade is coming out, and what features it will have? I would love to see some improvements to the current version.

-------------

Date Posted: 07-Jun-2007 at 22:15
Kingdoms expansion pack will probably come out in August or early Autumn.
It will feature 4 mini campaigns:
1 Spanish conquest of America.
2 British islands in viking age.
3 Crusades in Middle east.
4 Baltic crusades.

Other features:
· 23 playable factions including Aztec and Native Americans.
· Over 150 new units, including the devastating Greek Firethrower
· Control multiple armies in battle – command reinforcement armies.
· New hero characters with powerful new battlefield abilities
· A huge array of historical characters and events.
· Build permanent forts to garrison troops or seize control of key strategic points
· New technology trees influenced by Religion and Prestige
· New Mission types
· 6 New Multiplayer scenarios and 20 new Custom Battle maps
· Compatible with the new Hotseat multiplayer mode

- Moats added around castles
- They also added "Special abilities" for the historical persons in the 4 campaigns: Richard I. can collect fleeing troups, Emperor Manuel of Byzanz can "confuse" enemy units, that they hit themself.
- The campaings have different targets and a different way of playing it. In the Eastern, the religion plays a big role (because of unrest and unit development -> u can only build teutonic knights in a catholic area) in the New world if you play the spanish have only few Units and you have to look for alliances and trading routes.
- More units on a battlefield.
- You can build Forts with water around it.... keep their position and which you also can conquer and use for urself.
- More + Different Mission Targets: A noble man apears and asks for your help in a combat. If you are successfull, your reward will depend to how you won (how many you killed).
- In the Britain Scenario you can make as enemy of England an alliance with renegate(?) english aristocrats. They ask for your help, to conquer a town. If you give them the town after the victory, they will found a new anti-english fraction "Allianz der Barone"!

-------------

Posted By: Liudovik_Nemski
Date Posted: 10-Jun-2007 at 02:10
All in all it's bovine stool.The ignorance of the authors is shocking,they have made SOFIA region(it was Serdica and in no way centre of all Moesia),when you take Constantinople you take all of Thrace...and of course they haven't included the second Bulgarian tzardomAngry

Plus it's an absolute copy of Rome total war with changed graphics.

Date Posted: 10-Jun-2007 at 11:01
Calm down Ludovic.There is finished beta version of Bulgarian Total War 2.I am one of the beta testers.Soon a complete version of the mod will be released.There are new regions,new units for Bulgaria and etc.

-------------
Plato

Posted By: Athanasios
Date Posted: 19-Jun-2007 at 13:22
There is finished beta version of Bulgarian Total War 2.I am one of the beta testers

O'realy? Are those versions released ? I've seen many efforts of Rome total war version( even zulu and Byzantium) but i had never seen any of them in the storesUnhappy.

It would be very difficult to add more fanctions though, the balance will be changed dramatically...i mean the regions... they should create new regions! Surely they should have put Bulgarians and Swiss too... The optimum would be a game similar to europa universalis(by the point of plurality), combined whith MTWII grafics and gameplayApprove...

About the byzantines... the soldiers of the early period wear short pants or is it only my idea?LOL! shame on them!I firstly created katafract units only after the discovering of AmericaWacko. No ,byzantines don't lack of late period's gunpowder, they totally lack of reliable units until 1300!Medieval total lack for the Byzantines (ok, they should be somehow eliminated until the discovering of America- by the Hungarians [not that much...] ,the Turks,the Venetians or the Mongolo-Timuridian circus) at least , let them die in dignity!

God bless the codes!Shocked

-------------

Posted By: Kamikaze 738
Date Posted: 20-Jun-2007 at 23:24
Originally posted by Athanasios

O'realy? Are those versions released ? I've seen many efforts of Rome total war version( even zulu and Byzantium) but i had never seen any of them in the storesUnhappy.

It can only be downloaded from the internet. You cannot buy it in stores... atleast in my area there isnt.

Date Posted: 21-Jun-2007 at 10:04
Athanasios Bulgarian Total war 2 is a mod for Medieval 2 and there are many other mods.Mods are made by volunteers,by ordinary guys from Internet that have some pc skills.Mods cant be find in store because they are free for use.You can download them from internet.Check Total War centre.

As for Bulgaria,BG Total war Team made a few new regions mainly on the Balkans.There are new regions all over the map.Bulgaria is the only new faction.The mod started in 1072 during the rebellion of George Voiteh.Most og the units are finished,the team must decide which new units to add,to made last changes of 3d models and textures.A new recruitment system is developing and most of the bugs are already fixed.

-------------
Plato

Print Page | Close Window

Bulletin Board Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 9.56a - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2009 Web Wiz - http://www.webwizguide.com