Print Page | Close Window

What type of warrior would you like to be?

Printed From: History Community ~ All Empires
Category: Regional History or Period History
Forum Name: Medieval Europe
Forum Discription: The Middle Ages: AD 500-1500
URL: http://www.allempires.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=13879
Printed Date: 25-Apr-2024 at 00:08
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 9.56a - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: What type of warrior would you like to be?
Posted By: Aelfgifu
Subject: What type of warrior would you like to be?
Date Posted: 09-Aug-2006 at 11:06
As a variation on the "Which WWII army would you have been in?" in the military history forum, I would like to ask what kind of medieval warrior you would have been, and why?

Personally, I have allways liked the idea of being a longbow archer. Partially because of my teenage obsession with Robin Hood (Big smile), and partially because I think the longbow is one of the best weapons ever invented. And even though the fate of longbowmen when captured in battle was rather grim, I still would prefer it to being in the frontlines...
Of course, this is a totally unrelistic view, as a woman there is little to no chance I would (or will) ever be able to wield a longbow. I tried to draw one once on a medieval fair, and I must admit I could only stretch it for about 30cm...Embarrassed 

So what about you? Would you be an Immortal Guard or Varangian? An Anglo-Saxon ealdorman on foot, or a Norman knight on horseback? A crossbowman? Or would you like to be a Berserker with an axe? Tell me!

-------------

Women hold their councils of war in kitchens: the knives are there, and the cups of coffee, and the towels to dry the tears.

Replies:
Posted By: xi_tujue
Date Posted: 09-Aug-2006 at 11:46
don't know is there such thing as a poetic warrior who only fights in wars to save lifes of his own people and lives in peace and in hormony with the nature and stuff if no than I would like to be a samurai or a sipahi they are both warriors who can fight on foot and horse back the one is better on foot than the other but you get the point.

they are both elites thow so. I probably would probably a farmer with a seis or a heyfork muhahaha

-------------
I rather be a nomadic barbarian than a sedentary savage

Posted By: Paul
Date Posted: 09-Aug-2006 at 13:00
In a movie when they hand pick 10 chosen men for the really dangerous mission. I like to be one of the ones that doesn't get chosen.

-------------
Light blue touch paper and stand well back

http://www.maquahuitl.co.uk - http://www.maquahuitl.co.uk

http://www.toltecitztli.co.uk - http://www.toltecitztli.co.uk

Posted By: xi_tujue
Date Posted: 09-Aug-2006 at 15:53
Originally posted by Paul

In a movie when they hand pick 10 chosen men for the really dangerous mission. I like to be one of the ones that doesn't get chosen.

I WIL ....to carey the bagsBig smile

-------------
I rather be a nomadic barbarian than a sedentary savage

Posted By: Komnenos
Date Posted: 09-Aug-2006 at 16:52

I don't think I would have been a really good proper warrior, so in recognition of my limitations and my strengths, I would have become a "God's warrior", some medieval monk with a part time job in the Holy Inquisition.

-------------
[IMG]http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i137/komnenos/crosses1.jpg">

Posted By: Constantine XI
Date Posted: 09-Aug-2006 at 16:59
One of the medieval war figures which is most detestable, the petty noble with no real land or fief, roaming the lands building up a band of followers and carving out his own mini empire where he pleases. Robert Guiscard is the best example.

-------------

Posted By: Ponce de Leon
Date Posted: 09-Aug-2006 at 21:39
I would be the warrior with the big muscles

-------------

Posted By: Quetzalcoatl
Date Posted: 10-Aug-2006 at 02:59
 Norman ravager or Angevin fieflord with mighty fortifications to cover my retreat after raids in normandy, Britanny or ile-de-france. I would use morning star and the mace so that I don't spill blood. I would be blameless in front of the Creator, "never spilled any blood in my life, Dear Lord." LOL

Like the castle of sataignan built by Fulk nerra

http://www.a-castle-for-rent.com/castles/images/Staignan2.jpg -

-------------

Posted By: rider
Date Posted: 10-Aug-2006 at 04:18
I would want to be one of the Military Orders or of the Samurai or Ninja...  

-------------

Posted By: Roberts
Date Posted: 10-Aug-2006 at 10:26
A pagan chief in medieval Baltic.
I would learn natives how to fight in pikemen formation and to use some advanced tactics. Order and discipline.
Defending paganism against filthy Christians. Wink

-------------

Posted By: sun_tzu345
Date Posted: 10-Aug-2006 at 11:33
A samurai

-skilled in the art of the horse and bow
-good lamellae armor
-best swords
-cavalry&infantry

-------------

Posted By: Exarchus
Date Posted: 10-Aug-2006 at 14:16
A horse archer.

-------------
Vae victis!

Posted By: Illuminati
Date Posted: 10-Aug-2006 at 17:38
I would have liked to be an Ismaili assassin. Their ability to infiltrate and kill was amazing. Latin and Arab leaders feared them.

A samurai would have also been cool. Their culture and code of honor was awesome for their time.

Posted By: Zagros
Date Posted: 10-Aug-2006 at 17:46
Some sort of infantry captain or commander on a battlefield, though not a general - that is what I would be good at anyway.  I am very good at getting people to do things and do them right in times of crisis and  pressure; I leading by example is a part of my method.

I used to think I was born 1400 years too late.

-------------

Posted By: milns
Date Posted: 11-Aug-2006 at 06:07
    I would like to be some kind of noble in army of Grand Duchy of Lithuania (probably whith some Semigalian origin )

-------------
Un beidzot liecas un sašķīst viss kristīgo bars -
Nav pārspējams šodien tiem zemgaļu niknums un kaujas spars!

Posted By: Heraclius
Date Posted: 11-Aug-2006 at 09:33
Give me an axe and throw me in with the Varangians, they were fearless and loyal to the death, which appeals to me greatly, they were also probably one of the most feared units in the medieval world.

I've always liked the thought of them holding back whilst the battle rages on before them, until the last moment when they are ordered forward and in a furious charge smash through the enemy ranks.

or

If there wasnt any room LOL be an infantry officer, fighting my own little part of the battle and with any luck leading by example, like I think all good officers should.

-------------
A tomb now suffices him for whom the world was not enough.

Posted By: BigL
Date Posted: 11-Aug-2006 at 18:41
Chinese Imperial Guard.

Posted By: vulkan02
Date Posted: 11-Aug-2006 at 23:09
I'd like to be a wealthy French Paladin knight so i could afford the best horse and equipment money could buy.

-------------
The beginning of a revolution is in reality the end of a belief - Le Bon
Destroy first and construction will look after itself - Mao

Posted By: Maziar
Date Posted: 11-Aug-2006 at 23:15
I want to be a field marshal, with a very big mustache and a monocle.Big smile

-------------

Posted By: Urungu Han
Date Posted: 12-Aug-2006 at 07:45
A steppe cavalry =)

Posted By: Emperor Barbarossa
Date Posted: 12-Aug-2006 at 09:16
I would like to be an infantry captain of a Scottish, Scandanavian, or English army. Or I would like to have been at the head of some kind of Tabor, either Hussite or Cossack. It would be cool to fire one of those primitive "pipe guns" with the Hussites and use a mace to devastate enemies, or be a great cossack fighter. It would also be cool to use a two-handed claymore, or a cool Scandanavian axe, or a good English pole-arm.

-------------

Posted By: Arbr Z
Date Posted: 12-Aug-2006 at 12:45

I would like to be (for a week) the commander of an Illyrian pirate ship, Libournia. They were some of the most skilled sailors in the mediterranean, with very fast vessels. They were known as dangerous pirates by the greeks and the romans.

I wouldnt dislike to be one of the Stradiotes, the albanian mercenary chevalry in the medieval times, they fought for the catalans in greece (they gained some land and lived there, now known as arvanites). They fought also for the neapolitans in calabria and sicily, where they also settled. This mercenary chevalry was known for the bravery of its men, skilled swordmen on fast horses. The problem was that they were not very disciplined...

But I could be also a Kaak, or a Komit, albanian outlaw fighters during the ottoman era, who gathered in small groups and rebelled to the ottoman empire. They were similar to the clephts of greece, some kind of robin hoods. They used rifles and swords, and they robbed the carvans of the merchants.

-------------
Prej heshtjes...!

Posted By: Goban
Date Posted: 12-Aug-2006 at 17:32
I would be the quiet, reserved blacksmith/maltster who fights only when he absolutely must. But when the need  arises, reaps bloody havoc on the battlefield.

You know, not much different then today Big smile

-------------
The sharpest spoon in the drawer.

Date Posted: 12-Aug-2006 at 19:45
I would like to be the warrior that throws penguins at their foes

-------------

Posted By: ok ge
Date Posted: 12-Aug-2006 at 19:57

SEGA green soldier warrior, where I am given 9 chances to be hit fatally and not die yet or drop on the floor LOL

-------------
D.J. Kaufman
Wisdom is the reward for a lifetime of listening ... when youd have preferred to talk.

Date Posted: 12-Aug-2006 at 20:31
Originally posted by Ponce de Leon

Or would you use the penguin's bladder to spray the enemy?LOL

-------------

Date Posted: 13-Aug-2006 at 20:51
Originally posted by Emperor Barbarossa

Or would you use the penguin's bladder to spray the enemy?

Whatever is more natural

-------------

Date Posted: 13-Aug-2006 at 22:08
Even better, you can cut it's bladder open and use it to feed your own army for weeks.LOL

-------------

Posted By: arch.buff
Date Posted: 14-Aug-2006 at 02:55
A knight who defends the helpless and fights for a cause bigger than his own. You gotta love chivalry and selflessness

Posted By: Peter III
Date Posted: 14-Aug-2006 at 15:02

Samurai, for sure.

Posted By: Croppy Boy
Date Posted: 16-Aug-2006 at 20:27
A Gallowglass with a claymore, a chain shirt with underpadding, an iron helmet and a couple of javelins. A nice balance between power and mobility IMO and Irish to boot. I'd probably be in the paid service of a 14th century Irish noble in Leinster, helping to keep the Anglo-Normans inside the pale and protecting my lord's lands.

What I wouldn't want to be is a poor Croppy Boy on Vinegar Hill during the 1798 rebellion fighting off British Artillery, dragoons and regulars with a pike... That wouldn't do at all.

-------------
All along that singing river that black mass of men was seen
High above their shining weapons flew their own beloved green
Death to every foe and traitor! Whistle out the marching tune!

Posted By: Timotheus
Date Posted: 18-Aug-2006 at 21:39
Without a doubt I'd love to have served with Zizka.

Posted By: nezahualcoyotl
Date Posted: 19-Aug-2006 at 10:19

Are you serious? Would you like to spend some time woking for the holy inquisition?

Date Posted: 19-Aug-2006 at 21:36
No, I don't work with the perverters of the True Faith Tongue

Posted By: BMC21113
Date Posted: 19-Aug-2006 at 21:41
-This may seem sort of cliche, but I would love to have been a Sparten warrior. Great training and high status........being a warrior was really the only true occupation in Sparta.

-------------
"To be prepared for war is one of the most effective means of preserving peace"-George Washington
"The art of war is, in the last result, the art of keeping one's freedom of action."-Xenophon

Date Posted: 20-Aug-2006 at 08:54
Originally posted by Timotheus

You know that in a letter, Joan of Arc said that she would march into Bohemia and take out the Hussites after the English War.

-------------

Posted By: Guests
Date Posted: 20-Aug-2006 at 11:29
Id like to be a knight fighting Muslims, Id carry a mace an a longsword.

I wouldnt be a chivalrous knight, id be evil.

Posted By: xristar
Date Posted: 22-Aug-2006 at 13:38
A german landsknecht, or whatever they were called these german foot mercenary warriors, that carried the 1,80 m long swords.
Burning villages, looting fortunes, raping young blond european girls.
Ah, I would prefer to die in battle at my '30s.
Seriously, for a year or so, I would like to be able to go back to the 15th -16th century and become ruthless mercenary. Then I would like to come back to today, and live my life as a boring person.

-------------

Defeat allows no explanation
Victory needs none.
It insults the dead when you treat life carelessly.

Date Posted: 22-Aug-2006 at 22:02

You know that in a letter, Joan of Arc said that she would march into Bohemia and take out the Hussites after the English War.

Yes, I do know that...though the authenticity of the letter is disputed. It might have been a fake cooked up by Sigismund to scare the Hussites.LOL

Posted By: Eondt
Date Posted: 23-Aug-2006 at 06:37

Hi all,

I've been lurking for the past 2 days and decided that this might be a fun thread to start posting on.

If I could choose, I would have loved to be a German knight of noble birth in the 15th century. You had good weapons, great gothic-style armour and if things went bad in the battle, chances are you'd come off pretty good as you'd most likely be ransommed.

(PS. Gotta love that gothic armourBig smile)

Posted By: Vivek Sharma
Date Posted: 23-Aug-2006 at 07:27
Although an Indian, I would never want to be like a typical Indian warrior. Although very fierce, they all were too religious & followed the pious rules of war too much. So much that they always got defeated due to this limitation.
I would like to be an Indian Rajput warrior with the mentality of a Muslim Turk. As fierce as a rajput, as crafty / cunning as a Muslim Turk

-------------
PATTON NAGAR, Brains win over Brawn

Date Posted: 23-Aug-2006 at 07:41

Yes, I do know that...though the authenticity of the letter is disputed. It might have been a fake cooked up by Sigismund to scare the Hussites.LOL

Yes, that is a possibility, but I doubt the Hussites would have been scared of the French after they had beaten the Crusader armies so many other times.

-------------

Posted By: XueKaiYuan
Date Posted: 26-Aug-2006 at 22:31
teutonic knight with a square head!!!!WOOT

-------------
LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOOLLLLLLOOOLLL!!!

Posted By: Great Khan
Date Posted: 02-Sep-2006 at 13:56
a wild and free step warrior with nothing more than a sword,bow and horse in possesion

Posted By: mcnish
Date Posted: 02-Sep-2006 at 14:47
Teutonic Knight is my favourite, armor matters !!!

-------------
The power you need is current in your veins.

Posted By: gerik
Date Posted: 04-Sep-2006 at 14:39
Try out   http://queosia.com - http://queosia.com  and you will see. Wink

Date Posted: 05-Sep-2006 at 13:25
Originally posted by xristar

A german landsknecht, or whatever they were called these german foot mercenary warriors, that carried the 1,80 m long swords.
Burning villages, looting fortunes, raping young blond european girls.
Ah, I would prefer to die in battle at my '30s.
Seriously, for a year or so, I would like to be able to go back to the 15th -16th century and become ruthless mercenary. Then I would like to come back to today, and live my life as a boring person.
Zweihander Doppelsoldner, is probably what you want to be :). But i must agree, life of a Landsknecht is sort of appealing. Their flamboyant clothing, and foul mouths enforced by the recklessness and blind bravery of the Forlorn Hope.

Posted By: The Chargemaster
Date Posted: 07-Sep-2006 at 16:25
What type of warrior would you like to be?

he-he, well, i prefer to be a warrior like that one on my avatar! Heart

-------------

Date Posted: 08-Sep-2006 at 11:12
a berserker - so i can go to Valhalla :)

+ no fear(due to fine mead)
+ no soldier-like crap like haircuts and ranks
+ lots of mead..
+ license to kill..
+ did i mention mead?
- quick and violent(although honourable) death

Date Posted: 09-Sep-2006 at 19:07
I would also like to be a warrior that throws fans like ninja stars.

-------------

Date Posted: 10-Sep-2006 at 12:44
Originally posted by Einherjarrr

+ lots of mead..
+ license to kill..
+ did i mention mead?

You know the problem with mead? It is a highway to hangover. Trust me, I know.

-------------

Women hold their councils of war in kitchens: the knives are there, and the cups of coffee, and the towels to dry the tears.

Posted By: Omar al Hashim
Date Posted: 11-Sep-2006 at 04:33
While I have to agree with Aelfgifu and say that a longbowmen certainly would be cool. I think my all time favourite is a commander of light turkic or beudoin cavalry. I love the idea of harrassing your enemy and disappearing into the desert or steppe.

If I'm stuck in Europe, I'm going to the scottish highlands and fighting from the heather and the hillls.

-------------

Posted By: Adalwolf
Date Posted: 11-Sep-2006 at 12:23
Originally posted by Einherjarrr

+ lots of mead..
+ license to kill..
+ did i mention mead?

Same here man! Let us take down many a foe and go out in a blaze of glory!

Posted By: nikodemos
Date Posted: 11-Sep-2006 at 13:39
a cataphract of Basil II

Posted By: Justinian
Date Posted: 11-Sep-2006 at 14:03
A Jedi, so calm under pressure.
Of the real warriors I would either stick true to my ancestry and be a viking beserker (completely losing control or going beserk is something I am not unfamiliar with) or fight for Alexander the Great as one of his companions (no explanation needed).

-------------
"War is a cowardly escape from the problems of peace."--Thomas Mann

Posted By: ulrich von hutten
Date Posted: 11-Sep-2006 at 14:49

a jester, which everyone can see at my front side; just a turn and i'm the archer, who sends soundless arrows into the heart of my enemies.

-------------

http://imageshack.us">

Posted By: JanusRook
Date Posted: 11-Sep-2006 at 21:48
A pagan chief in medieval Baltic.
I would learn natives how to fight in pikemen formation and to use some advanced tactics. Order and discipline.
Defending paganism against filthy Christians. Wink

And I would be a german knight in the baltic, nice cool weather, sweet looking chain shirts, and a huge axe to cleave my enemies in twain.
But mostly I would be bringing God's infinite mercy and love to primitive savages at the end of said axe. Wink

Also no horses, I hate horses......

-------------
Economic Communist, Political Progressive, Social Conservative.

Unless otherwise noted source is wiki.

Posted By: Omar al Hashim
Date Posted: 12-Sep-2006 at 04:12
I'm just wondering how many people voted for what their ancestors would've been doing?

Because I just realised thats exactly what I did - Arab, Paki and Scotts, with some English on the side. LOL

-------------

Posted By: Constantine XI
Date Posted: 12-Sep-2006 at 04:15
My ancestors were probably peasants, so I naturally voted to be a freebooting minor aristocrat.

-------------

Posted By: Vikingrage
Date Posted: 09-Oct-2006 at 22:00
Originally posted by Heraclius

Give me an axe and throw me in with the Varangians, they were fearless and loyal to the death, which appeals to me greatly, they were also probably one of the most feared units in the medieval world.

I've always liked the thought of them holding back whilst the battle rages on before them, until the last moment when they are ordered forward and in a furious charge smash through the enemy ranks.

Harald Hardrade is my Hero and yes I would love to be a Viking Mercenary as well. Being one of then Ten men for that really dangerous mission, I would like to do that too.

There were Warrior poets, knowing who I am I fall into that category like the right puzzle peice.

Date Posted: 10-Oct-2006 at 18:09
Originally posted by Omar al Hashim

I'm just wondering how many people voted for what their ancestors would've been doing?

Because I just realised thats exactly what I did - Arab, Paki and Scotts, with some English on the side. LOL

I would not have liked to fight as an Italian(not a united country), but if this was in general history, I would have liked to be a Highlander in the Black Watch, a Royal Scots Grey, or, as a German, be a Landsknecht. Also, for this thread, I would like to be a Scot under the Scottish expedition in Spain during the Crusades during Robert I's reign. I also would have liked to fight as an Englishman with Richard I.

-------------

Posted By: Auriflambe
Date Posted: 25-Oct-2006 at 02:20
I would like to be a BHAYANGKARA; an elite guard of the King of Majapahit, with the keris and everything. Note that the great Mahapatih(Prime Minister) of Majapahit Gajahmada was a Bhayangkara member himself.

But if I was born in a different place, Europe for example, I would like to be a Hospitaller Knight.

Posted By: Liudovik_Nemski
Date Posted: 28-Oct-2006 at 12:55
A bulgar steppe cavalry warrior.I'd have both a mighty bow made from animal tendon to attack from afar and a sword and spear.Nothing can get me unprepared.Except another steppe cavalryman Big smile

I can kill any light/heavy infantry and any type of heavy cavalry.The armored knights from the crusader orders will be easy prey for example.

Posted By: Krum
Date Posted: 28-Oct-2006 at 13:09
Just say with two words - Bagatur Bagain

-------------
It is only the dead who have seen the end of war.
Plato

Posted By: HistoryGuy
Date Posted: 28-Oct-2006 at 14:46
I would be an Gktrk horse archer, or in general a Trk horse archer. Maybe I would consider a Kievan Rus' ratnik, or a Polish bohater...Wink

-------------
هیچ مردی تا به حال به شما درباره خدا گفته.

Posted By: Turk Nomad
Date Posted: 29-Oct-2006 at 10:42
Steppe Nomad Tatar Turk Tribe Cavalry.

Posted By: Knights
Date Posted: 30-Oct-2006 at 06:15
Well, If I could be a medival warrior, I think I'd probably have wanted to be either:

- Mangudai (Mongol) Cavalry because they are fast, have great endurance, can hassle an enemy at a safe distance with arrows, as well as being fast enough to outrun just about anything (human and horse). Another advantage of these Light Missile cavalry and the Mongol riders was the tactics which they employed to make full use of their speed and stamina such as 'retreat' and backfire.

or

- Byzantine Scholae Tagmata, mainly due to the fact that they were the elite of the elite within the mighty Byzantine cavalry, had a heck of a lot of armour (both horse and rider), a large range of weaponary (eg.sword, dagger, mace, bow/arrows, lance.etc.) and their ability to pack an almighty punch on impact (being heavy cavalry). Being heavily armoured and equipped with good bows they could exchange fire with lighter missile cavalry and suffer far less casualties than their opposition (usually), however their manouverability/stamina might be a problem.

Approve

Posted By: John the Kern
Date Posted: 30-Oct-2006 at 12:54
Either Roman Republican Infantry, early to middle, pre marius. or my cultural roots Irish warrior, maybe in the dark ages, raid the welsh and saxons like my ancestors of old,but staying out of shield walls, i dont want to have some bugger slowly working a knife into my side thanks

-------------
My peoples tale is written in blood

Posted By: Sarmata
Date Posted: 31-Oct-2006 at 10:22
Winged Husar

Posted By: Ikki
Date Posted: 31-Oct-2006 at 13:25
Light cavalry under the byzantine emperors or skirmishers troops, from peltastois of ancient Greece to almughavars or anyother troop like foot archers. I don't want to be in the middle of the combat, but if i must fight in mele, dismounted men at arms of the middle medieval age, later can be good too. Specifiying the heavy type, an Hospitaller Knight of around 1200 like this guy

http://img528.imageshack.us/img528/8029/hospitalario1zv8.jpg - http://img528.imageshack.us/img528/8029/hospitalario1zv8.jpg

Or an halberdier like the swiss on the left

http://img406.imageshack.us/img406/628/suizosvv3.gif - http://img406.imageshack.us/img406/628/suizosvv3.gif

-------------

Posted By: Dampier
Date Posted: 04-Nov-2006 at 12:08
I dont care what I am provided I'm with either Ghurka or Indian infantry. Best lads in the world.

-------------

Posted By: Knights
Date Posted: 05-Nov-2006 at 05:22
Originally posted by Dampier

I dont care what I am provided I'm with either Ghurka or Indian infantry. Best lads in the world.

Sure thing...Ghurkas have mad skills....my Grandad commanded a unit of Ghurkas throughout World War Two and they are really amazing warriors. Wink

-------------

Posted By: Dampier
Date Posted: 05-Nov-2006 at 11:12
Originally posted by Knights

Sure thing...Ghurkas have mad skills....my Grandad commanded a unit of Ghurkas throughout World War Two and they are really amazing warriors.

Good on him! My grandfather was with the Indians (and for a brief, bizarre period with the Dutch...) during WW2 down in Burma (and Malaya, and India, and the Dutch East Indies...)

-------------

Date Posted: 05-Nov-2006 at 19:58
Another type of warrior i would be is one with a knife. Not too big, not too small. A regular knife would do me just fine

-------------

Posted By: Adalwolf
Date Posted: 06-Nov-2006 at 11:24

Another type of warrior i would be is one with a knife. Not too big, not too small. A regular knife would do me just fine

Like a bowie knife? A dagger? A butter knife?! I don't think you'd last long on a medieval battlefield with just a knife.

Date Posted: 08-Nov-2006 at 20:57
if you got the will and power, yes, yes most certainly you can live long with just a knife

-------------

Posted By: Eondt
Date Posted: 09-Nov-2006 at 02:26
I'm sure you'd last long...as long as you kept to the backWink

Posted By: LilLou
Date Posted: 09-Nov-2006 at 10:01
I would be an elite spartan hoplite or either a roman praetorianThumbs Up

Posted By: omshanti
Date Posted: 17-Nov-2006 at 02:29
I think I would be a knight very similar to Don-Quixote. I would ride on my beloved horse Rosinante followed by my lovely squire Sancho-panza and his donkey. I would preach laws of chivalry where ever I go and will attack windmills and sheep imagining they are the enchanted enemy. I will fight  the enemy in honour of my  princess Dulcinea of Toboso and will always be there for the weak and Sancho-panza will help me too.

Posted By: The_Jackal_God
Date Posted: 14-Dec-2006 at 19:57
it's hard to choose after reading so many good ideas,
but I think Templars have cool mystique and equipment, tho the chastity thing sucks. but everything else sounds good too.

Posted By: Burdokva
Date Posted: 04-Jan-2007 at 19:59
Bulgar Heavy Cavalryman from the period of the First Tsardom, or otherwise - bagatur. The combinaton of chainmail and lamellar or scale armor, along with three deffirent kinds of weapons and a good horse... awsome.

From the Classical era - either a heavy armored thracian with a romphaia sword (that thing is wicked!) or a roman leggionare.

-------------
Unity makes Strenght

Posted By: King John
Date Posted: 04-Jan-2007 at 20:45
Housecarl that's what I would like to be. The huge axe is a big selling point.

Posted By: pekau
Date Posted: 18-Jan-2007 at 23:11
Elite samurai that does not concentrate on heavy armor. Lightly armored with decent wooden armor, but concentrating on attack options. A couple of long sword, a long bow, few daggers hidden in the armor, and a small shield. The horse can hold on to the spear to prevent infantry to hurt the horse by close combat.

Otherwise, I'd like to be a Myrmidon. Seen the movie Troy. Movie was ok, but the scenes showing the Myrmidons, led by Achilles, fighting against the Trojans was some sight. I think that was only the reason why I watched the movie...

-------------
http://swagbucks.com/refer/Malachi">      

Join us.

Posted By: Athanasios
Date Posted: 27-Jan-2007 at 18:48
Chuck Norris as a crussader...

-------------

Posted By: Brian J Checco
Date Posted: 11-Feb-2007 at 11:31
It would be swell to be an Irish tribal warrior pre-Norman Conquest. Those guys just got drunk all the time and roamed the lands in warbands, looking for other like-minded groups to fight, and afterwards, drink with. Anyone who has ever read the Cattle Raid of Cooley would surely agree. Think about: Eire, all unsullied by cities and roads and industry. Just the good green world about ye, strong drink, good companions, maidens and riches to be won by the swords, glory in life, and a worthy death. Man, savage and noble, alone with his Gods and his sword. Ah! What times those must have been.

Imagine after a battle: Around the fire with the lads, passing forth the mead horn with the fellows you just recently fought, trading stories and honors, and then someone picks up the lyre and recounts the ancient sagas, and everyone is drunk and under the stars basking in the glories of the Gods and heroes past. Killing a fatted calf and eating the meat cooked over a fire served by the women who thought you were the Gods come again. I'll take it. Call me Cuchulain.

Posted By: pikeshot1600
Date Posted: 11-Feb-2007 at 11:58
I wanna be a Field Marshal with a big pension!

Posted By: Jagiello
Date Posted: 11-Feb-2007 at 15:39
Originally posted by XueKaiYuan

teutonic knight with a square head!!!!WOOT

And i would like to be a polish knight,who kills teutons in the battle of Grunwald. Big%20smile

Date Posted: 12-Feb-2007 at 09:59
Originally posted by Brian J Checco

It would be swell to be an Irish tribal warrior pre-Norman Conquest. Those guys just got drunk all the time and roamed the lands in warbands, looking for other like-minded groups to fight, and afterwards, drink with. Anyone who has ever read the Cattle Raid of Cooley would surely agree. Think about: Eire, all unsullied by cities and roads and industry. Just the good green world about ye, strong drink, good companions, maidens and riches to be won by the swords, glory in life, and a worthy death. Man, savage and noble, alone with his Gods and his sword. Ah! What times those must have been.

Imagine after a battle: Around the fire with the lads, passing forth the mead horn with the fellows you just recently fought, trading stories and honors, and then someone picks up the lyre and recounts the ancient sagas, and everyone is drunk and under the stars basking in the glories of the Gods and heroes past. Killing a fatted calf and eating the meat cooked over a fire served by the women who thought you were the Gods come again. I'll take it. Call me Cuchulain.

LOL, dream on buddy. The Irish had the most sophisticated legal system in Europe at this time. You'd find your ass in an ordeal for killing before you get a chance to finish your first beer...

(and when did the Normans ever invade Ireland??)

-------------

Posted By: Dolphin
Date Posted: 12-Feb-2007 at 10:12
[QUOTE=Brian J Checco]It would be swell to be an Irish tribal warrior pre-Norman Conquest. Those guys just got drunk all the time and roamed the lands in warbands, looking for other like-minded groups to fight, and afterwards, drink with. Anyone who has ever read the Cattle Raid of Cooley would surely agree. Think about: Eire, all unsullied by cities and roads and industry. Just the good green world about ye, strong drink, good companions, maidens and riches to be won by the swords, glory in life, and a worthy death. Man, savage and noble, alone with his Gods and his sword. Ah! What times those must have been.

LOLLOL That's the best post i've read yet. Wouldn't fancy dropping into the pub of the lad who I just beat up where I come from! We were just more friendly back in those days I suppose...The bloody Normans probably changed us

-------------

Date Posted: 12-Feb-2007 at 22:30
I would like to be a warrior that throws throwing stars that kill jannisaries, greek revolutionaries, and palestinian terrorists

-------------

Posted By: Spartakus
Date Posted: 13-Feb-2007 at 12:53
I would not like to be a warrior,but a mage....Wink

-------------
"There are worse crimes than burning books. One of them is not reading them. "
--- Joseph Alexandrovitch Brodsky, 1991, Russian-American poet, b. St. Petersburg and exiled 1972 (1940-1996)

Posted By: Athanasios
Date Posted: 16-Feb-2007 at 07:40

I would like to be a warrior that throws throwing stars that kill jannisaries, greek revolutionaries, and palestinian terrorists

Oh yeah? how you wish... chill out , drink a bud beer and eat a BigMac instead of risking your life with these toys...LOL

-------------

Posted By: Leonidas
Date Posted: 16-Feb-2007 at 10:30
Originally posted by Brian J Checco

LOLLOLLOLLOL

GOLD!!

Date Posted: 17-Feb-2007 at 20:34
Thank you Big%20smile

Posted By: pekau
Date Posted: 24-Feb-2007 at 21:55
Ha ha, nice post, Brian J Checco. Warrior must have been pretty a decent job back then...

-------------
http://swagbucks.com/refer/Malachi">      

Join us.

Date Posted: 26-Feb-2007 at 19:41
Some would argue that it still is. You get some extremely fancy toys.

Posted By: kasper
Date Posted: 27-Feb-2007 at 00:52
A soldier fighting under the command of the Black Prince, considering the fact that you were fighting an extremely disorganized enemy and able to pillage and plunder to the heart's content.

Posted By: Balain d Ibelin
Date Posted: 27-Jun-2007 at 08:56

Here's my top-7 Warrior of Medieval Europe that I wanna be:

1.Order Knights (Templars, Teutonics, Hospitallers)

2.Longbowman

3.Turcoman Cavalry

4.Chivalric Knight

5.Hashishins

6.Berserker

7.Norman Knight

-------------
"Good quality will be known among your enemies, before you ever met them my friend"Trobadourre de Crusadier Crux

Posted By: edgewaters
Date Posted: 28-Jun-2007 at 01:13
Think I'd like to be a Viking raider, of the early period (eg 800 or so ... not 1000). Low risk, high payoff. You show up, beat on some monks and villagers, steal their golden chalices and crucifixes and whatnot, and split before the huscarls or whoever shows up. As long as you don't happen to fight other Vikings and as long as plans don't go horribly wrong, it would be one of the better picks I think.

Posted By: Sikander
Date Posted: 31-Jul-2007 at 12:40
I would like to be a warrior-monk, fighting against iniquity.

But in reality I think I would be chosen to be a crossbowmen or just a levied peasant! I guess I should call it "Murphy's Law", eheheh!

Print Page | Close Window

Bulletin Board Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 9.56a - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2009 Web Wiz - http://www.webwizguide.com