Print Page | Close Window

ROME TOTAL WAR

Printed From: History Community ~ All Empires
Category: All Empires Community
Forum Name: Gaming and Information Technology
Forum Discription: Technology and Computer-related discussions; PC and Video Games…
URL: http://www.allempires.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=11865
Printed Date: 23-Apr-2024 at 03:29
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 9.56a - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: ROME TOTAL WAR
Posted By: Americanus
Subject: ROME TOTAL WAR
Date Posted: 16-May-2006 at 13:42

Ive been playing this game for about 2 years now and I find it to be one of the best stragety games around does any else have it.

-------------
"Give Me Liberty or Give me death"

Replies:
Posted By: Frederick Roger
Date Posted: 16-May-2006 at 13:58
Yep. It's almost as good as Medieval, but with a lot more flaws.

-------------

Posted By: xristar
Date Posted: 17-May-2006 at 12:14
Originally posted by Frederick Roger

Yep. It's almost as good as Medieval, but with a lot more flaws.

I agree. Good game, great graphics, still not as good as medieval (at least not as addictive).
Medieval II is now under development! Tongue
I can't wait to smash everyone with the mighty byzantines!

Posted By: Lmprs
Date Posted: 17-May-2006 at 13:26
I think Medieval was much more realistic than this game. RTW is still good though.

Date Posted: 17-May-2006 at 13:48
Actually I think RTw was way more relistic bc you can actually put archers on the walls

-------------

Posted By: Lmprs
Date Posted: 17-May-2006 at 14:26
Originally posted by Americanus

Actually I think RTw was way more relistic bc you can actually put archers on the walls

That may be so, but considering the battle scenes I think RTW was meant to be more "arcade" and less strategical.

Posted By: Digenis
Date Posted: 17-May-2006 at 14:52
Its awsome.
The only game in pc i playSmile

Posted By: Cywr
Date Posted: 17-May-2006 at 21:37
The EB mod and the extra 128MBs of memory have made this game so much more playable for me.
Kudos to all those modders who saved a game with great potential that was poorly implimented in the box.

-------------
Arrrgh!!"

Date Posted: 18-May-2006 at 08:55
I like the more stragetic value of Rome Total war plus the 3d cities and map.

-------------

Date Posted: 19-May-2006 at 01:20
What is it you change in the preferences.txt (?) to make RTW battles look like MTW ones, interface wise?

-------------
Arrrgh!!"

Posted By: Flipper
Date Posted: 19-May-2006 at 02:28
Isn't Medieval and Rome made by the same software house? I love Rome Total war. I think it's time for the second edition of the game.

-------------

SÃ¥ nu tar jag fram (k)niven va!

Posted By: Elerosse
Date Posted: 25-May-2006 at 21:28

great game, though there's some units whom were made out of the air. For example the "legion cavalery", or "Praetorian cavalery".

-------------
人生自古谁无死,留取丹心照汗青
- 文天祥

Posted By: mamikon
Date Posted: 25-May-2006 at 22:20
There is an Armenian faction in the game!!! Clap

-------------

Date Posted: 27-May-2006 at 14:16
One of the more fun factions to play, even if you run in to trouble fairly quickly in the strategic game.

-------------
Arrrgh!!"

Date Posted: 27-May-2006 at 16:20
you do? why is that? Parthia and Mithrades

-------------

Date Posted: 28-May-2006 at 07:11
Between rebels, pontus, selucia and eventualy the parthans, and not having very good infantry, eventualy logisitcs takes its toll.
A faction with good heavy infantry can take a good beating, and move onto the next battle. With the Armenians, sure, their cavalry is godly, but there supply of arrows is not infinit, and you need infantry to clean up the enemy's spearmen. After a battle your infantry are trashed and you need them to go back to a city to recharge.
I find that expansion is often slow on the harder levels, and cash sparse, and that tends to put a damp on things.
In the vanilla game the Armenians apparently eventualy get their version of a legionare, but i've never seen one.

-------------
Arrrgh!!"

Posted By: Emperor Barbarossa
Date Posted: 28-May-2006 at 08:19
Originally posted by Cywr

Between rebels, pontus, selucia and eventualy the parthans, and not having very good infantry, eventualy logisitcs takes its toll.
A faction with good heavy infantry can take a good beating, and move onto the next battle. With the Armenians, sure, their cavalry is godly, but there supply of arrows is not infinit, and you need infantry to clean up the enemy's spearmen. After a battle your infantry are trashed and you need them to go back to a city to recharge.
I find that expansion is often slow on the harder levels, and cash sparse, and that tends to put a damp on things.
In the vanilla game the Armenians apparently eventualy get their version of a legionare, but i've never seen one.

The legionarries come after the Marius reform, which is pretty late in the game.

-------------

Posted By: Heraclius
Date Posted: 28-May-2006 at 10:14

As far as i'm concerned RTW is unplayable without a mod, my personal choice is Rome Total Realism, but theres a ton out there that make the game playable.

However there are so many problems with this game that I wouldnt call it the best strategy game, on the contrary, one of the worst, for sheer disappointment and frustration.

-------------
A tomb now suffices him for whom the world was not enough.

Date Posted: 30-May-2006 at 14:12
There are  bugs here and there in the game. but overall the playing exp. and the things you learn are well worth that.

-------------

Date Posted: 31-May-2006 at 11:56
Originally posted by Heraclius

As far as i'm concerned RTW is unplayable without a mod, my personal choice is Rome Total Realism, but theres a ton out there that make the game playable.

However there are so many problems with this game that I wouldnt call it the best strategy game, on the contrary, one of the worst, for sheer disappointment and frustration.

Yes, the mods are the only reason that I play RTW. If it was more realistic, it would be the best strategy game.

-------------

Posted By: Hehe
Date Posted: 02-Jun-2006 at 17:35
I don't really like Rome Total Realism MOD. It may be more realistic, but the units/soldiers just look to "Plain" for me to enjoy the game. I prefer flashier units. Also check out this mod that recreates Feudal japan with the RTW engine.

Also this one which creates an Indian (Mauryan) faction:

Date Posted: 09-Jun-2006 at 17:31
I just started playing this (with Armenia of course). The map is totally wrong, Armenia is depicted to be Eastern Anatolia (which is correct) and Colchis (present Georgia) instead of Shirvan (Present Azerbaijan)...Armenia never took control of Colchis...

-------------

Posted By: Goban
Date Posted: 01-Jul-2006 at 08:33
I just bought this game last week and it is very addicting. I learned that I am not too good of a tactician and that I don't really have that much "me time" anymore, if at all. Smile

But it's a very good game and I'm glad I finally picked it up.

-------------
The sharpest spoon in the drawer.

Posted By: Gundamor
Date Posted: 10-Jul-2006 at 21:50
I recomend trying it with one of the many good mods. I cant seem to stop coming back to this game. Only thing thats going to stop me is when MTW 2 comes out

-------------
"An eye for an eye only ends up making the whole world blind"

Date Posted: 30-Aug-2006 at 13:38
Yes mtw2 is going to be an aswome game and way more relistic.

-------------

Posted By: Jazz
Date Posted: 05-Sep-2006 at 04:18
I am going to re-install RTW, with the BI expansion pack.

What mods do you recommend to make the game more realistic.

Also, do any of the mods affect the expansion or just the main campaign?  I am more insterested in modding the expansion.

Thanks in advance.

-------------
http://www.forums.internationalhockey.net/index.php?/index.php?referrerid=8 - International Hockey Forums

Posted By: Penelope
Date Posted: 07-Sep-2006 at 23:38
Am i the only one who cant stop playing that game? just curious.

Date Posted: 08-Sep-2006 at 00:00
Originally posted by Penelope

Am i the only one who cant stop playing that game? just curious.

Yeah I seem to keep playing it. I use the Terrae Expugnandae mod and it seems to be good for me and more importantly my computer. The SPQR and Total Realism ones were a bit more taxing on my not so high speed computer so this one is great for me.

-------------

Date Posted: 16-Sep-2006 at 01:40
So what factions have you all conquered with so far?

Posted By: Batu
Date Posted: 16-Sep-2006 at 12:18
the only game u can play as "scythians"

-------------
A wizard is never late,nor he is early he arrives exactly when he means to :) ( Gandalf the White in the Third Age of History Empire Of Istari )

Posted By: Guests
Date Posted: 18-Sep-2006 at 19:59
Playing Rome Total War has really helped me learn about military tactics.   I have read books on all this and I tried it out and it is so helpful.

-------------

Date Posted: 19-Sep-2006 at 19:46
Originally posted by IWU09

Playing Rome Total War has really helped me learn about military tactics.   I have read books on all this and I tried it out and it is so helpful.

If you have not read this book already, I would recommend The Art of War by Sun Tzu.

-------------

Date Posted: 20-Sep-2006 at 02:29

Sun Tzu is also quoted in the game.

Posted By: Vivek Sharma
Date Posted: 20-Sep-2006 at 02:47
Are'nt their any peace games ?

-------------
PATTON NAGAR, Brains win over Brawn

Date Posted: 21-Sep-2006 at 02:46
Originally posted by Vivek Sharma

Are'nt their any peace games ?

Peace is for the weak. And by the way..I'm a girl.

Date Posted: 21-Sep-2006 at 12:50

I've never really conquered the whole world. Once I get to a certain point where I'm unstoppable I restart. Usually around 70-80 percent of the map taken. With the TE mod i've acomplished this on VH/H with Ptolemies,Rome,Macedon,Greek States,Germania, and Scythian. I'm currently on a Iberian campaign and is a somewhat easy time so far as I've taken all of present day Spain and I just sacked Carthago. I might start a Numidian campaign though if Rome cant challenge me in the field with this campaign.

-------------

Date Posted: 22-Sep-2006 at 02:26
Originally posted by Gundamor

I've never really conquered the whole world. Once I get to a certain point where I'm unstoppable I restart. Usually around 70-80 percent of the map taken. With the TE mod i've acomplished this on VH/H with Ptolemies,Rome,Macedon,Greek States,Germania, and Scythian. I'm currently on a Iberian campaign and is a somewhat easy time so far as I've taken all of present day Spain and I just sacked Carthago. I might start a Numidian campaign though if Rome cant challenge me in the field with this campaign.

Yes, i also usually restart after about 70 percent because there doesnt seem to be much of a challenge at that point, but eventually i will attempt to take the entire map just to say that i did lol.

Date Posted: 23-Sep-2006 at 00:23
Well my Iberian campaign has turned nasty as Rome decided to betray our alliance(go figure damn romans)in turn I'm currently sacking and destroying her cities. Not trying to hold just exterminate and destoying all her buildings. Roma and the city closest to the south are currently in flames. I hate backstabers lol.

-------------

Posted By: Yiannis
Date Posted: 23-Sep-2006 at 14:23

Not trying to hold just exterminate and destoying all her buildings. 

Can you actually selectivelly destroy buildings in RTW? Either in your own or in enemy cities?

-------------
The basis of a democratic state is liberty. Aristotle, Politics

Those that can give up essential liberty to obtain a temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin

Posted By: Antioxos
Date Posted: 23-Sep-2006 at 14:49
It took me a year to get rid of playing it  was like a drug but i conquered all the cities . 

Date Posted: 23-Sep-2006 at 15:41
Originally posted by Yiannis

Can you actually selectivelly destroy buildings in RTW? Either in your own or in enemy cities?

Yes most buildings you can destroy. Where you see the buildings currently in the city. Click on it and an info box should come up. If you look in the left corner you'll see a raise(i think) or demolish button. You can knock down most of the economical and military stuff. Just not walls,streets, City upgrade(imperial palace etc) and farms I think.

-------------

Date Posted: 23-Sep-2006 at 23:20
Originally posted by Yiannis

Yes, you can destroy buildings if you feel the need to gain more money.

Date Posted: 24-Sep-2006 at 15:23
I use it more then the need to gain money. When you fight rome you know the AI will throw endless amount of men at you. So I do a little hit and run to keep him off guard and force his army back to italy to retake things. I dont take their cities to hold but I leave them with little capabilities when I'm done. Before you know it your facing militia instead of imperial cohorts because he is far behind trying to rebuild.

-------------

Date Posted: 25-Sep-2006 at 00:25
I like making the game as difficult for myself as possible becuase i enjoy the challenge. Gundamor, your hit and run tactic is very good. In ancient times it also came in handy.

Date Posted: 10-Dec-2006 at 04:54
The latest version of Europa Barbarorum has been released (get it http://www.europabarbarorum.com/downloads_mod.html - here ).

This is IMHO, the best mod for RTW at the moment, it makes a few significant changes to gameplay as well as adding a wealth of new units and improving others. It even has speech makeovers for the units, so that the Romans sound Roman (even if it isn't totaly accurate, some factions that are generic use reconstructed languages), so that th ewhole feel of battle is better.

Those of you who played 0.74 can read up about the changes/improvements http://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=74103 - here

-------------
Arrrgh!!"

Date Posted: 17-Dec-2006 at 22:03
Cywr, thanks.

Posted By: Roberts
Date Posted: 22-Jan-2007 at 14:37
Wanted to share some funny jokes about RTW which I just read.

You're addicted to RTW when ....

you say "this land is Roman" when having sex.Cool

you go to the zoo hoping to make elephants run amok.

you demand that your school teacher becomes your protectorate after he/she gives you a detention.

you call your boss behind his back "That bastard SPQR".

you realize you're demanding that the opponents be enslaved and taken back to your capital after your national team is victorious in a soccer match.

When having sex, you insist on charging the rear.

you told Italy to form a testudo when Zidane headbutted one of the players.

you try and convince your parents to "make more heirs", because you are an only child.

you try and convince your wife or husband to "make more heirs", just because.

-------------

Posted By: Knights
Date Posted: 22-Jan-2007 at 20:00
Originally posted by axeman

you demand that your school teacher becomes your protectorate after he/she gives you a detention.

If only...

-------------

Date Posted: 27-Jan-2007 at 00:16
Rome Total War is STILL the best game out.

Posted By: Knights
Date Posted: 27-Jan-2007 at 00:21
You still think that? In what way is it the best? But yes, it still is a very cool game - one of my all time favourites Wink

-------------

Posted By: Top Gun
Date Posted: 27-Jan-2007 at 03:34

yes the most fun I had with a game and the most I learned from it was

Rome total war

it was also intersting when those messages came with this and this happend in that time

but when I bought the barbarian invasion with it became very irritating I was always in debt I could make no great armies when the enemy came they outnumberd me and the AI was even dumber they only won because of sheer numbers and then my soldiers was of poor quality and they where routing faster then in rome total war the most irritating part was if you conquered one of the stepp nomads they where then not to eliminate because I was again outnumbered and then it infected rome total war with a couple of these aspects

but the good aspects of the barbarian invasion where the new formations every unit was exactly detailed with the Huns I had the most succes

I wouldn't reccomend you to buy The Barbarian invasions

-------------

Date Posted: 03-Feb-2007 at 00:50
Its Rare when a game remains better than its sequal.

Posted By: white dragon
Date Posted: 01-Mar-2007 at 17:15
Originally posted by Top Gun

yes the most fun I had with a game and the most I learned from it was

Rome total war

it was also intersting when those messages came with this and this happend in that time

but when I bought the barbarian invasion with it became very irritating I was always in debt I could make no great armies when the enemy came they outnumberd me and the AI was even dumber they only won because of sheer numbers and then my soldiers was of poor quality and they where routing faster then in rome total war the most irritating part was if you conquered one of the stepp nomads they where then not to eliminate because I was again outnumbered and then it infected rome total war with a couple of these aspects

but the good aspects of the barbarian invasion where the new formations every unit was exactly detailed with the Huns I had the most succes

I wouldn't reccomend you to buy The Barbarian invasions

i would suggest getting a night fighter to deal with the barbarian hordes, works like a charm.

-------------
Pray as if everything depended upon God and work as if everything depended upon man.
-Francis Cardinal Spellman

Print Page | Close Window

Bulletin Board Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 9.56a - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2009 Web Wiz - http://www.webwizguide.com