Print Page | Close Window

Biggest Empires

Printed From: History Community ~ All Empires
Category: General History
Forum Name: General World History
Forum Discription: All aspects of world history, especially topics that span across many regions or periods
URL: http://www.allempires.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=1019
Printed Date: 13-May-2024 at 20:26
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 9.56a - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Biggest Empires
Posted By: Guests
Subject: Biggest Empires
Date Posted: 09-Nov-2004 at 21:51
What were the biggest empires in ancient history and medieval times before the invention of the handheld gun (so cannons are allowed)?  I'm really interested and all I know is that the largest was the Mongolian Empire.

Replies:
Posted By: Kubrat
Date Posted: 09-Nov-2004 at 22:21
The Arabian Caliphate, the Roman Empire, Alexander the Great's Empire, Persia.

Han China was also the size of the Roman Empire.  I'm not ver familiar with Indian history though...

-------------
Hell is empty and all the devils are here.
-William Shakespeare

Date Posted: 10-Nov-2004 at 08:42
Originally posted by Sleeker

the Mongolian Empire.

When the Mongolian Empire was at its largest it had already fallen apart in different states, therefore it's not one empire. The biggest Empire ever was the British Empire (in 1923). The British empire occupied 25% of world territory.

-------------

Posted By: Temujin
Date Posted: 10-Nov-2004 at 12:28

no, not yet, durign Möngke Qa'ans rule it was basically as large as it was after the fragmentation, or in other words: it was still the largest.

btw: post-gunpowder empires are ruled out.

-------------

Posted By: demon
Date Posted: 11-Nov-2004 at 03:00
the Mongolian Empire.

-------------
Grrr..

Posted By: warhead
Date Posted: 11-Nov-2004 at 11:51

"When the Mongolian Empire was at its largest it had already fallen apart in different states, therefore it's not one empire. The biggest Empire ever was the British Empire (in 1923). The British empire occupied 25% of world territory."

He said before the invention of the handgun, which does not include British.

"no, not yet, durign Möngke Qa'ans rule it was basically as large as it was after the fragmentation, or in other words: it was still the largest."

With the exception it did not have Song China which had near 700,000 sq miles of territory.

In size order in approximation(including all effective subjects of the empire):

1) Mongol empire:  9.3 million sq mile

2) Tang empire: 4.8 million sq mile

3) Tujue empire: 4 million sq mile

4) Umayyad Caliph: 3.5 million sq mile

5) Xiongnu empire: 2.4 million sq mile

6) Roman empire: 2.4 million sq mile

7) Achmenid empire: 2.3 million sq mile

8) Macedonian Empire: 2.2 million sq mile

9) Xianbei empire: 1.9 million sq mile

10) Seljuk Empire: 1.8 million sq mile

Posted By: Gubook Janggoon
Date Posted: 11-Nov-2004 at 12:48
What about the Brits eh?

-------------

Posted By: Tobodai
Date Posted: 11-Nov-2004 at 13:12
for Brits just take world sq km and divide by 4.

-------------
"the people are nothing but a great beast...
I have learned to hold popular opinion of no value."
-Alexander Hamilton

Posted By: Kalevipoeg
Date Posted: 11-Nov-2004 at 13:50
Mongols still kick British ass anywho!!!!!!!!!!! A united land empire is something else than hundreds of colonies around the world.

-------------
There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible than a man in the depths of an ether binge...

Date Posted: 11-Nov-2004 at 13:53
Originally posted by Kalevipoeg

Mongols still kick British ass anywho!!!!!!!!!!! A united land empire is something else than hundreds of colonies around the world.

On the other hand, if you add the amount of sea controlled by the Brits they kick more ass than the Mongols .

-------------

Date Posted: 11-Nov-2004 at 13:58

"What about the Brits eh? "

As already said, if you read the title, its before the invention of handgun, which does not include the British.

Posted By: Gubook Janggoon
Date Posted: 11-Nov-2004 at 14:12
yea...didn't see that

-------------

Date Posted: 11-Nov-2004 at 14:12

Originally posted by MixcoatlToltecahtecuhtli

Originally posted by Kalevipoeg

On the other hand, if you add the amount of sea controlled by the Brits they kick more ass than the Mongols .

in that case it's the Polynesians: new zeeland, easter islands, hawaii pre 1500...that'S just amazing...

-------------

Date Posted: 11-Nov-2004 at 14:52

"On the other hand, if you add the amount of sea controlled by the Brits they kick more ass than the Mongols "

The sea isn't controlled by the British in the sense of a possession, or else the United States own most of the world and would kick both the British and the Mongol ass.

Also its quite pointless to judge by sheer size alone, we should judge the percentage of the territory dominated by the conquer in comparison to the rest of the POLITICALLY dominated world. Thus, Australia, Antarctica, Much of South America, western United States, Most of Canada, parts of Africa, parts of southern india, east indies, and large parts of present day east Russia are still either uninhabited or hunter gather society inhabited by savages or semi nomadic savages that does not have a state or political boundary in the 13th century, (these territory makes up over a quarter of the globe's surface) we should exclude these in calculating the total share of the world's territory. In this case, the mongols had over a quarter of the world's land. More than the British.

Posted By: Imperatore Dario I
Date Posted: 12-Nov-2004 at 20:11
Bah, the Mongols. Successful only for a time, and then disappeared from history. At least the British Empire continued to thrive, and the British continued to prosper, bringing so much of the world to its knees, and making her neighbors shake their legs. Comparing the British Empire to the Mongol Empire, in terms of power, influence, wealth, and culture, definately the British Empire is better!

-------------

“Let there be a race of Romans with the strength of Italian courage.”- Virgil's Aeneid

Posted By: faram
Date Posted: 13-Nov-2004 at 04:26
Hey! stop talking about the Brits, they don't count in this thread.

Date Posted: 13-Nov-2004 at 14:49

Originally posted by faram

Hey! stop talking about the Brits, they don't count in this thread.

Why not?

-------------

“Let there be a race of Romans with the strength of Italian courage.”- Virgil's Aeneid

Date Posted: 13-Nov-2004 at 15:02

What were the biggest empires in ancient history and medieval times before the invention of the handheld gun (so cannons are allowed)?  I'm really interested and all I know is that the largest was the Mongolian Empire.

-------------

Date Posted: 14-Nov-2004 at 05:51

Originally posted by Temujin

Ah, thanks. Then in that case, I want to go for the Roman Empire. It wasn't the largest, but it was definately a massive empire.

-------------

Date Posted: 15-Nov-2004 at 03:45
And what about with Mayan Empire? )

Date Posted: 15-Nov-2004 at 10:30
There never was a Maya empire. The Mayas lived in city states. Sometimes they formed confederations, but none of these got really large.

-------------

Posted By: Jalisco Lancer
Date Posted: 15-Nov-2004 at 10:53
-

Posted By: Mr Bobo
Date Posted: 15-Nov-2004 at 10:59

Well you cant really judge empires on size alone as empires like the Mongolian empire werent completely controlled by the mongols, much of it was just barren land. If you go on the theory of size alone, the bigest empire was controlled by the first creature to have thoughts of control, he/she/it was the 'unchallenged' ruler of the world. rwar! 

Posted By: Jalisco Lancer
Date Posted: 15-Nov-2004 at 11:07
-

Date Posted: 15-Nov-2004 at 12:05
Originally posted by Mr Bobo

Well you cant really judge empires on size alone as empires like the Mongolian empire werent completely controlled by the mongols, much of it was just barren land. If you go on the theory of size alone, the bigest empire was controlled by the first creature to have thoughts of control, he/she/it was the 'unchallenged' ruler of the world. rwar! 

bah, so what exactly did the brits rule? nothing! the Mongols did not control "just barren land", they destroyed many large and migthy empries to get where they've been, which large and migthy emprie s did the british destroy? none! even Spanish conquered Aztecs and Incas which were powerfull empires, so they're much more of an emprie than Great Britain ever was.

-------------

Date Posted: 15-Nov-2004 at 16:26

" I will say that the Spanish Empire was the largest one."

They also don't count.

Date Posted: 15-Nov-2004 at 21:57
Originally posted by warhead

Thank you, now could someone say what empires 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 9, and 10 were?  I can imagine probably most are Chinese and Oriental, and maybe a couple are Indian.  I've heard of Seljuk before.  And I'm surprised the Persian empire isn't on there, unless it really is under a different name.

And can I stress how I said before the invention of the handheld gun!  That means both the Spanish and British empires suck.

By the way, are these forums HTML?

Date Posted: 16-Nov-2004 at 14:40

"2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 9, and 10 were?"

2) Chinese dynasty from 618-907

3) Gokturk empire which occupied mongolia from mid 6th-8th century

4) Islamic empire

5) Asiatic hunnic empire that occupied mongolia from 3rd century b.c.-2nd century a.d.

7) Persian empire

9) Brief empire in mongolia established by Tang Shi Huai in the middle of 2nd century a.d.

10) Turkish empire that swept through the middle east in the 11th century, part of the reason the crusades are sent.

Date Posted: 17-Nov-2004 at 04:32
You forgot about Zululand...

Date Posted: 17-Nov-2004 at 09:54

Date Posted: 18-Nov-2004 at 11:54
Alexander the Great's was probably the biggest non-fractured.

-------------

Date Posted: 18-Nov-2004 at 15:10
no it want, it was the about the same as Timurs and only a 1/3 of pre-split Mongol empire, and dont forget Spanish empire int eh Americas

-------------
-Alexander Hamilton

Date Posted: 19-Nov-2004 at 11:23

Originally posted by Tobodai

no it want, it was the about the same as Timurs and only a 1/3 of pre-split Mongol empire, and dont forget Spanish empire int eh Americas

i thought this was pre-handheld gun.  if not the British control 25% of the world.

-------------

Posted By: Demetrios
Date Posted: 20-Nov-2004 at 17:40

The true  question is: " Which was the biggest empire considering only fertile lands and populated regions"

The roman empire wins

Posted By: Imperator Invictus
Date Posted: 20-Nov-2004 at 18:10
No, the Mongol Empire would still be three times as big in populated regions.

Also, stop writing in non-standard font.

Date Posted: 20-Nov-2004 at 18:46
  Wrong check any map, take the mongol empire united under only one "khan" at his peack, remove the steppes. Just be objective

Date Posted: 20-Nov-2004 at 20:08
Actually, the Roman Empire was only about 2.2 to 2.4 million sq miles. Modern China is 3.7 million sq miles. The Eastern Khanate of the Mongols included modern china and much more. The Roman Empire also had alot of lowly populated areas such as half the north african desert, parts of Iberia, and alot of land conquered from the barbarians,

Date Posted: 20-Nov-2004 at 20:18

wrong :

yes modern china is big, but ancient is not: remove neimenggu, xizang, xinjiang, heilongjiang  yunnan nor qinghai. So classical chinese size would only be 1.5 million.

The yuan never had an empire including all modern china, check maps

Don't forget that at this time romans only took the fertile and populated north africa.

the small lowly populated part of iberia can't compared with the huge lowly populated and unfertile steppes 

Date Posted: 20-Nov-2004 at 20:23

Date Posted: 20-Nov-2004 at 20:45

We're speaking about empire so it mean controled and administered territories, not tributary states( which generally don't bother themself making war, just sending some presents, considered by chinese dynasty as a sign of submission)

Tibet(tufan on your map) has never been crontrolled by yuan administration, actually tibetan and mongols did have the same religion, but the dalai lama was tibetan and so was considered by yuan as the head of the religion. That why no expedition was ever send against qiang nation.

Huigu, xixia and nuzhen were only tributary states, they were independant states.

Your map is uncorrect because it don't show the differences i just mentionned

Date Posted: 21-Nov-2004 at 08:02
Perhaps a stupid question, but didn't the Mongolians use handheld guns as well? IIRC they did have gunpowder.

-------------

Date Posted: 21-Nov-2004 at 13:00
not really, they had so called firelances, btu that are basically just lances with some sort of firework attached. basically a small one-way flamethrower but by no means as deadly...

-------------

Date Posted: 21-Nov-2004 at 14:25
but after the original Mongol empire certain Mongol affiliates used gunpoweder, most famously babur.

-------------
-Alexander Hamilton

Posted By: Dragon
Date Posted: 21-Nov-2004 at 16:36

3) Gokturk empire which occupied mongolia from mid 6th-8th century

I always thought before the time of Ghenghis Kahn Mongolia had never been a unified state or empire, but rather a bunch of politically inconsequential in-fighting tribes.  Do you have a source on the Gokturk empire?

BTW, the Mongols did not have hand-held firearms, only firelances which were, as was said above, basically fireworks which was only useful to start fires in cities (a very powerful weapon in the day of straw and wooden buildings) or an incredibly lucky shot could kill a man.  They had awesome technology in their time, but the idea of a hand-held rifle was far beyond their technological capabilties.

-------------
History is the study of the past that we may understand the present.

Date Posted: 22-Nov-2004 at 17:31
Mongolia was united many times before Chingis. Alot of the nomadic empires were sketchy and most of the information comes from contact with sedentary civilization.

Kok Turuk Empire:

http://allempires.com/empires/gokturk1/gokturk1.htm - http://allempires.com/empires/gokturk1/gokturk1.htm

Date Posted: 22-Nov-2004 at 22:14

"We're speaking about empire so it mean controled and administered territories, not tributary states( which generally don't bother themself making war, just sending some presents, considered by chinese dynasty as a sign of submission)"

No, these vassals are required to visit court, provide troops for campaigns and are politically obedient to the ruling state not just some state that merely present gifts.

"Tibet(tufan on your map) has never been crontrolled by yuan administration, actually tibetan and mongols did have the same religion, but the dalai lama was tibetan and so was considered by yuan as the head of the religion. That why no expedition was ever send against qiang nation. "

Tibet was controlled by the Yuan, administrative prefectures are set up over it, although it wasn't under direct central control, it was part of the Yuan empire. But Yuan never did control territory west of Hami as shown on that map, plus Yuan had cannons not just normal firearms.

Huigu, xixia and nuzhen were only tributary states, they were independant states.

Date Posted: 22-Nov-2004 at 22:18

"yes modern china is big, but ancient is not: remove neimenggu, xizang, xinjiang, heilongjiang  yunnan nor qinghai. So classical chinese size would only be 1.5 million."

Thats merely China proper, the military garrison of Han extended well beyond China proper, controlling the whole of Tarim Basin. Yunnan was a Han province, and large part of Qin Hai under the Chiang had Han military garrisons in them.

" Don't forget that at this time romans only took the fertile and populated north africa."

Roman Empire's direct control was only 2.2 million sq mile not including client states. Han's was 2.4 million sq mile including all its garrisoned frontier, including vassal state it would be 2.8 million sq mile.

Date Posted: 22-Nov-2004 at 22:20

"I always thought before the time of Ghenghis Kahn Mongolia had never been a unified state or empire, but rather a bunch of politically inconsequential in-fighting tribes.  Do you have a source on the Gokturk empire?"

the following nomads united all of mongolia:

1. xiongnu

2. Xianbei

3) Rouran

4) Tujue

5) Uighur

Posted By: mongke
Date Posted: 03-Dec-2004 at 22:09
How about the inca empire? They didn't have fire arms.

Posted By: Genghis Khan
Date Posted: 04-Dec-2004 at 00:40

"I always thought before the time of Ghenghis Kahn Mongolia had never been a unified state or empire, but rather a bunch of politically inconsequential in-fighting tribes.  Do you have a source on the Gokturk empire?"

the following nomads united all of mongolia:

1. xiongnu

2. Xianbei

3) Rouran

4) Tujue

5) Uighur

mongolia was just a bunch of tribes. temujin then unified the tribes and started his conquest. that was when his people named him genghis khan(universal ruler). genghis was not only a military genius , but also a politcal genius. genghis left behind a well organized empire stretching 8,000 miles east to west(from the sea of japan to hungary)and 2,000 miles north to south(frome the forest of siberia to central iran, the himalayas and china). it was 16 million suare miles.

-------------
It is not sufficient that I succeed--all others must fail.

-- Genghis Khan

Posted By: sephodwyrm
Date Posted: 04-Dec-2004 at 03:45
Temujin is of the Borzhijin, one of the many tribes of Mongols. Others include Qonggirats, Naiman, Merkits, Taichyuds and many others.

-------------
"Therefore, whatever you want men to do to you, do also to them"
"Not what goes into the mouth that defiles the Man, but what comes out of the mouth" Matthew 7:12, 15:11

Date Posted: 04-Dec-2004 at 13:27
borjigin was his clan, not his tribe. he was of the khyiad tribe of the taichy'uts.

-------------

Date Posted: 04-Dec-2004 at 21:29

If we take the mongol empire as a single entity up to the rule of mongke it would still be amontg the larger empires in history. Up to them khanates were just parcels of mongol domain divided up among the descendants of Chingghis Khan. Sort of like tasking a general to conquer land and putting him in charge of taking care of the conquered land. After mongke family feuding really got the best of the mongol empire.

Date Posted: 05-Dec-2004 at 13:54
I would also like to mention the umayyad caliphate, it was also larger than the roman empire.

-------------

Date Posted: 06-Dec-2004 at 16:56

"mongolia was just a bunch of tribes."

It was a bunch of tribes in 1200 a.d., it was united many times before.

"stretching 8,000 miles east to west(from the sea of japan to hungary)and 2,000 miles north to south(frome the forest of siberia to central iran, the himalayas and china). "

That wasn't Genghis, it was his sucessors.

"it was 16 million suare miles."

No it wasn't, unless you include all of Soviet Union within its domian which is preposterous

Date Posted: 06-Dec-2004 at 16:57

"not really, they had so called firelances, btu that are basically just lances with some sort of firework attached. basically a small one-way flamethrower but by no means as deadly..."

The earliest handheld gun for mongols is uncovered in 1271 a.d., and most likely already existed during the middle of the 13th century.

Posted By: azimuth
Date Posted: 12-Dec-2004 at 11:12

1-Mongol empire

2-Abbasid caliphat

3-Roman empire

Posted By: Slickmeister
Date Posted: 12-Dec-2004 at 14:03

Originally posted by sephodwyrm

Temujin is of the Borzhijin, one of the many tribes of Mongols. Others include Qonggirats, Naiman, Merkits, Taichyuds and many others.

The Naiman were actually more as Turkic people than Mongol

Date Posted: 12-Dec-2004 at 17:53

The Han Empire and Tang should be listed as well.

Hsiung Nu.

Posted By: Ikki
Date Posted: 03-Jan-2005 at 18:44

"...

..."

Tang empire 12.000.000 km2? When?

And, how can we count the nomad territory? Since xioung nu...

Date Posted: 04-Jan-2005 at 01:29

"That wasn't Genghis, it was his sucessors.

"it was 16 million suare miles."

No it wasn't, unless you include all of Soviet Union within its domian which is preposterous"

unless the encyclopedia book which was right in front of my face at the time is lieing the you would be right. it didnt say what the square miles were in his empire but it did say it was 8,000 miles east to west and 2,000 miles north to south. to find square mileage you would multiply 8,000 by 2,000 and you get 16 million sq miles.

-------------

-- Genghis Khan

Date Posted: 04-Jan-2005 at 14:31
Who cares a lot of the land is worthless land.

Date Posted: 04-Jan-2005 at 15:28
no it's not.

-------------

Date Posted: 04-Jan-2005 at 15:45

"Who cares a lot of the land is worthless land."

if that was the case, that would mean most of the known world was worthless.

-------------

-- Genghis Khan

Date Posted: 04-Jan-2005 at 18:05

mongol land, yes

Posted By: Murph
Date Posted: 04-Jan-2005 at 20:41
he is somewhat right...owning all of central asia is not that significant.  it is a large area, but there is not much there.  arid steppes without resources arent the greatest places to own.  the mongols did conquer china, the middle east, and parts of eastern Europe, though, so you can't say that his lang was all worthless

-------------

Posted By: BlackPanther
Date Posted: 04-Jan-2005 at 22:18

I do believe that the Mongol Empire was the biggest of them all.. considering the fact that it was in one single land mass. But then mongols were nomads...even Ghengiz under whom the mongols terrorized the world was only interested in looting and conquering the areas not ruling or administering them.....so I doubt whther the word 'Empire' suits them.

I'm surprised to see that none of you guyz are aware about indian history.I doubt whether you guys have heard about Mughal Empire or the empire of King Ashoka.

Mughal Empire

the Mughal Empire

Ashoka

King Ashoka's empire

do let me knw wat u guyzz think

-------------
ACHTUNG!!!

Date Posted: 05-Jan-2005 at 12:05
the Steppe beign worthless for nomadic conquerors?  the Steppe is exactly the most important thing for nomads to conquer, or where should they raise and train their soldiers? the agricultural areas were worthless for them, thus they destroyed it. only tradign cities were of worth to them. why do people always look at Mognol conquests from a sendentary poitn f view? that only distorts the study of Nomads.

-------------

Date Posted: 06-Jan-2005 at 10:46
The steppes were just a free for all. Look at the way states and tribes came and went. Sedentary people had it much more stable than that chaos of the steppe.

Date Posted: 06-Jan-2005 at 11:58
Originally posted by BlackPanther

I'm surprised to see that none of you guyz are aware about indian history.I doubt whether you guys have heard about Mughal Empire or the empire of King Ashoka.

do let me knw wat u guyzz think

i know about the Mughal Empire, they were the largest and secound last Islamic empire after the Ottoman. and their most famouse thing in India is the Taj Mahal.

i have been to india lots of times and Taj mahal is NOT the greatest thing they did, there is lost of great palaces and forts worth mentioning.

it was a large empire but not that large compared to the Mongols or the Romans or the Ummayad.

i think it was smaller than the Savavid empire

Date Posted: 06-Jan-2005 at 12:16

Originally posted by mongke

The steppes were just a free for all. Look at the way states and tribes came and went. Sedentary people had it much more stable than that chaos of the steppe.

that's not true, sedentary people could at best only temproary control the steppe and only via vassals until the invention of firearms. so it was not free for all, and of course the steppe chanegd a lot due to migratiosn but of course nomad means wanderer so what's so strange about that? there where never many hgue empires int eh steppe, unlike in cultivated areas.

-------------

Date Posted: 07-Jan-2005 at 11:41

Tang empire manage to conquer and hold on to the large chunk of the steppe for some decades and it was under direct control. It was archieve before the invention of firearms.

Posted By: cavalry4ever
Date Posted: 07-Jan-2005 at 16:10
I am really surprised that no one has mentioned Charlemagne's Empire. I believe it was the biggest strictly European empire ever. Also, Holy Roman Empire that succeded it.

Date Posted: 07-Jan-2005 at 16:24
Charlemagnes emprie was smaller than that of Napoleon (including vassals etc). the HRE at its peak was as large as the Polish-Lithuanian empire at its peak. but allw ere smaller than otehr empries already mentioned.

-------------

Posted By: cavalry4ever
Date Posted: 07-Jan-2005 at 18:10
Originally posted by Temujin

Charlemagnes emprie was smaller than that of Napoleon (including vassals etc). the HRE at its peak was as large as the Polish-Lithuanian empire at its peak. but allw ere smaller than otehr empries already mentioned.

I think the Western Caliphate was smaller and I said European empire. All others have spanned multiple continents. I think Charlemagne's empire was biggest ever in Europe. Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth may have been biggest in Europe in the seventeen century- at 1,2 millions square kilometers.
Anyone has sizes of Charlemagne's and Holy German Empire at their biggest?

Napoleon's empire was not viable and very short lived.

Date Posted: 09-Jan-2005 at 08:34

when you say European Empire you mean an Empire in Europe only or an Empire which its capital inside Europe or an Empire which is formed by Europians?

and why does many People Not consider the Islamic states in Spain as Europian? they lived in that land for 800 years, before the spanish language exist

and that was a Europian land.

-------------

Posted By: Yiannis
Date Posted: 10-Jan-2005 at 04:37
Originally posted by azimuth

and why does many People Not consider the Islamic states in Spain as Europian? they lived in that land for 800 years, before the spanish language exist

and that was a Europian land.

I believe the meaning of European is being founded by Europeans and being governed in "western" ways.

Btw, Azimuth I liked the photo of Sultan Al Zayed that you posted. I was in Dubai a little time after his death and took the time to read about his life. He really transformed the region!

-------------
The basis of a democratic state is liberty. Aristotle, Politics

Those that can give up essential liberty to obtain a temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin

Date Posted: 10-Jan-2005 at 05:48
Originally posted by Yiannis

Btw, Azimuth I liked the photo of Sultan Al Zayed that you posted. I was in Dubai a little time after his death and took the time to read about his life. He really transformed the region!

yes he is a great man and our first leader and the founder of the UAE union

and he is not  a Sultan  his title is Sheikh and his name is Zayed and his father name is Sultan and the family name is Nahyan

so in full it will be  H.H Sheikh Zayed Bin Sultan AL-Nahyan

-------------

Posted By: Yiannis
Date Posted: 10-Jan-2005 at 07:10

Originally posted by azimuth

and he is not  a Sultan  his title is Sheikh and his name is Zayed and his father name is Sultan and the family name is Nahyan

Ok, I thought that Sultan was the title, I hadn't realized it was a name.

Now that I think about it, I should remember that the title amongst Arabs is usually Sheikh, not Sultan

I liked his pictures with the hunting falcons. Have you ever done this sport? It looks amazing!

-------------
The basis of a democratic state is liberty. Aristotle, Politics

Those that can give up essential liberty to obtain a temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin

Date Posted: 10-Jan-2005 at 07:32
Originally posted by Yiannis

Ok, I thought that Sultan was the title, I hadn't realized it was a name.

Now that I think about it, I should remember that the title amongst Arabs is usually Sheikh, not Sultan

I liked his pictures with the hunting falcons. Have you ever done this sport? It looks amazing!

Arabic royal  titles include Sultan, Sheikh, Malik(King),  Emir 

in UAE we have only the Title Sheikh for all the members of the royal families including the rulers ( for Females its Sheikha) and the ruler is called Raees (President) 

in Sudi Arabia they Use the Title Malik  for the King and the rest of the royal family members are Emir (prince) and Emira for the femails including the King's wifes

in Oman they Use the Title Sultan for the ruler  his name is  Qaboos and called Sultan Qaboos and the rest of the royal family members are called Emirs

in Qatar and Kuwait the rulers called Emirs and Sheikh  for example the Emir of Kuwait is called Sheikh Sabah Emir of Kuwait

in Jorden and Morroco they Use King for the rulers and Emirs for the other members but in Jorden they call king's wife Queen

Bahrain changed resently to a kingdom  so the ruler is called king and Sheikh so it will be  Sheikh Hamad King of Bahrain

and about the falcon hunting  no never practiced this sport, i dont know why

-------------

Date Posted: 14-Jan-2005 at 14:00

"unless the encyclopedia book which was right in front of my face at the time is lieing the you would be right. it didnt say what the square miles were in his empire but it did say it was 8,000 miles east to west and 2,000 miles north to south. to find square mileage you would multiply 8,000 by 2,000 and you get 16 million sq miles."

Thats a poor way of calculating, The japanese empire was 5000 miles east to west, and 7000 miles north to south, do you just multiply them?

Posted By: exodussian
Date Posted: 06-Feb-2005 at 07:45
 Maybe helps you
OTTOMAN EMPÝRE

Posted By: Mangudai
Date Posted: 06-Feb-2005 at 12:52
One question, how much of Africa south of the first Nile cataract did the Osmanly actually controll?

Date Posted: 06-Feb-2005 at 13:11

that map does not show the Ottoman Empire only and that big part in africa was not totally part of the Ottoman,

-------------

Posted By: Infidel
Date Posted: 06-Feb-2005 at 21:58
I think it was at least vassalized

-------------
An nescite quantilla sapientia mundus regatur?

Posted By: Vamun Tianshu
Date Posted: 06-Feb-2005 at 22:13

Didn't the Ottoman use guns?Or no?

-------------

In Honor

Posted By: Vamun Tianshu
Date Posted: 06-Feb-2005 at 22:22

How about these guys?

-------------

In Honor

Date Posted: 07-Feb-2005 at 01:53
ITs wrong, Ihsan already showed a better map of the Xiongnu empire, Its height of expansion was around 130 b.c. not 63 b.c. by then most of Tarim has already passed out of their control to the Han.

Date Posted: 07-Feb-2005 at 01:55

"How about these guys?"

They are already on my list, # 5

Posted By: coolstorm
Date Posted: 07-Feb-2005 at 14:28

How about the Han Empire? I suppose it's a little smaller than the Tang.

Also, the Manchu Empire.

-------------
���DZj�~�� ��������
�� �� �C �q �D �� �� �� �� �T �� �� �g �A �� �� �� �� �� �U �N �� �� ï

Date Posted: 07-Feb-2005 at 16:39
Manchu was post-gunpowder

-------------

Posted By: coolstorm
Date Posted: 07-Feb-2005 at 17:52

"Manchu was post-gunpowder "

So were Tang, Song, Mongolian, and Ming.

Gunpowder was invented in the Han dynasty.

-------------
���DZj�~�� ��������
�� �� �C �q �D �� �� �� �� �T �� �� �g �A �� �� �� �� �� �U �N �� �� ï

Posted By: ChineseManchurian
Date Posted: 08-Feb-2005 at 06:36
I think the Manchu(Qing) empire is the biggest in the world. It is even bigger than Mongol empire(Yuan) in China.

Date Posted: 08-Feb-2005 at 06:52

"How about these guys?"

They are already on my list, # 5

what about the Abbasids Caliphate? , they were larger than the Macedonian

-------------

Date Posted: 08-Feb-2005 at 06:58

-------------

Date Posted: 09-Feb-2005 at 18:58

"what about the Abbasids Caliphate? , they were larger than the Macedonian"

I didn't put in Abassid or Han because they are connected to the Imperial conquest of Ummayad and Tang

Posted By: Idanthyrus
Date Posted: 10-Feb-2005 at 18:11

The power of the Abbasids was almost as shortlived as that of the Macedonians. Succesive waves of slave revolts, Buyjids, Ghazinivds and Turks all conspired to make the Abbasid Caliphs fill a role rather like that of the modern pappacy. They were a religious authority but the political power had passed from their hands. Even before that most of the lands under the Caliph had a defacto independence. Emirs who had been appointed by the Caliph, their succesion became dynastics and so they ruled themselves, like the Samanid Empire for instance.

The Kushan empire in central Asia was large both in size and in influence.  During their time they were at the center of exchange of culture between the East and West. They were largly responsibe for Buddisms spread to China from India for example. At diffent times in history they fought against the Parthians, Sassanids, Xiong-nu, Bactrians, Indians, Hans, Sacas, Romans and the White Huns (Hephalites).

Posted By: Riain
Date Posted: 10-Feb-2005 at 21:25

Does sheer size really matter?

The Mongols were the biggest, even after Ghengis died I think Kublai was considered the Great Khan and the other technically owed him allegience. But I don't think they compare to the Chinese Sung dynasty who built paddle boats, complex water clocks had extensive overseas trade networks and a large population. They might have been smaller but they were better, more learned, more people etc. And they are just one of many including the Romans, Byzantines, great Muslim empires, Incas, Indains, Chinese who BUILT empires. The ability to ride across a piece of land, kill everyone, and take their stuff does not a great empire make.

Posted By: lennel
Date Posted: 12-Feb-2005 at 00:15
2.4 million for Rome?  wasnt that the general empire size for about a century?  For a number of years the empire extended itself briefly to include close to 1 million more miles (Trajan).

Date Posted: 12-Feb-2005 at 05:30

The Tujue Empire (Göktürk) was the third biggest empire in history. Also the Achemenid Empire of Persian was huge as I know...

-------------

Print Page | Close Window

Bulletin Board Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 9.56a - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2009 Web Wiz - http://www.webwizguide.com