Forum Discription: The Middle Ages: AD 500-1500
URL: http://www.allempires.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=10102
Printed Date: 07-Jun-2024 at 04:41
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 9.56a - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Inheritance of romans
Posted By: Evrenosgazi
Subject: Inheritance of romans
Date Posted: 18-Mar-2006 at 09:58
After the collapse of Roman empire , the eastern part survive and represented the romans. But now we are calling them byzantines, not romans. But instead of byzantine many historians accepted holy roman empire as the romans heirs , what do you think . Which one is the heir of romans?

Replies:
Posted By: Evrenosgazi
Date Posted: 18-Mar-2006 at 09:59
I say byzantines

Posted By: Iranian41ife
Date Posted: 18-Mar-2006 at 10:04

um, historians acknowledge that teh byzantine empire was roman.  for historians the fact that rome was used for the whole of the empire meant that they could not use the term again because then it would get confusing.

thats what i think of it.

and the holy roman empire was not roman at all, nor were they the heirs. so i go with byzantine.

-------------
"If they attack Iran, of course I will fight. But I will be fighting to defend Iran... my land. I will not be fighting for the government and the nuclear cause." ~ Hamid, veteran of the Iran Iraq War

Posted By: Ponce de Leon
Date Posted: 18-Mar-2006 at 10:15
I go with neither. I do not look as having the title the Romans as heridetary anymore. The values the Romans had were long gone. The Byzantines lost the Roman values i believe during the great schism. When they all became Othrodox that is my timeline for the end any Roman resemblence

Posted By: Leonardo
Date Posted: 18-Mar-2006 at 11:59

Read my old post here:

http://www.allempires.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=8671&PN=2 - http://www.allempires.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=8671& ;PN=2

Posted By: RomiosArktos
Date Posted: 18-Mar-2006 at 12:07
Originally posted by Ponce de Leon

I go with neither. I do not look as having the title the Romans as heridetary anymore. The values the Romans had were long gone. The Byzantines lost the Roman values i believe during the great schism. When they all became Othrodox that is my timeline for the end any Roman resemblence

Which Roman values?If you mean the Roman values praised by Cato and followed by the great Romans of antiquity like Scipio for example,then I think were long gone since the ancient times.
The ancient Roman values have nothing to do with the Pope or the Patriarch.
Remember that the Church was united before the schism,so they were all orthodox(=having the true dogma) and catholics before the schism.
For the westerners the orthodox people were regarded as schismatics but at the same time the easterners considered the catholics schismatics.

My opinion is that both western Europe and Byzantium were equally heirs to the Roman legacy.
In the east there was  a direct cintinuation of the Greco-Roman world.There were  barbarian invasions but these didn't affect the center of the eastern empire which was Asia Minor.The cities of Asia Minor continued to have large population.But Greek was the dominant language as it was since the age of the Successors of Alexander.After Constantinus made Constantinople the capital of the empire it was inevitable that the Latin would start losing ground even in the Balkans where there was considerable number of Latin speakers.The Empire especially after the reign of Heraclius was gradually totally hellenised.

Posted By: Akolouthos
Date Posted: 18-Mar-2006 at 12:13

Originally posted by Ponce de Leon

I don't quite get what your saying. Roman republican values had died out three centuries before the Christianization of the Empire under Constantine and his successors. Roman imperial values continued under the Byzantines. Many scholars date the end of a truly "Roman" empire to Heraclius.

After the Christianization of the Empire the Church was structured according to a policy of accomodation, wherein the Church organized itself according to the political structure of the Empire (Dvornik, Byzantium and the Roman Primacy, 29). Thus, the development of the papal primacy represents a break from the tradition of "Roman" ecclesiastical government, not a continuation. Don't see how it matters much, though, as Christian values were not traditional Roman values, as Julian the Apostate often lamented.

-Akolouthos

Date Posted: 18-Mar-2006 at 12:17
In the west the Neo-Romance languages spoken throughout Europe are a direct link to Rome making the people that they speak them heirs of the Roman heritage.
But in the west there was no political insitution except for the Roman patriarch,the Pope, that could go back to the ancient times,unlike to the east where the lineage of the imperial power went back to a Roman emperor, to Constantine.
There was also the germanic influence in the west,that together with the Latin influence formed the western medieval European culture.

Posted By: Herschel
Date Posted: 18-Mar-2006 at 13:16
There is no heir to the Roman Empire. The line of Emporers went from Augustus to Constantine XI. 

-------------

Posted By: Jazz
Date Posted: 18-Mar-2006 at 17:12
Originally posted by Evrenosgazi

After the collapse of Roman empire , the eastern part survive and represented the romans. But now we are calling them byzantines, not romans. But instead of byzantine many historians accepted holy roman empire as the romans heirs , what do you think . Which one is the heir of romans?

The term "Byzantine" was invented about 150 years after Constantinople fell to the Turks because a German historian simply wanted to differentiate the classical Empire from the Medieval one.  Unfortunately, it was popularized in the 18th and 19th centuries when a few influential historians (Gibbons and Montesgue) did not think that the Empire of Constantinople deserved the name "Roman".

In comtemporary times, it was always used, both by it's inhabitants and by outsiders as Rome, or some derivation of (ie, Romania in Western Europe, Rum in Turkish lands etc).

-------------
http://www.forums.internationalhockey.net/index.php?/index.php?referrerid=8 - International Hockey Forums

Posted By: Frederick Roger
Date Posted: 18-Mar-2006 at 17:18
The only heir to the Roman Empire was the Roman Catholic Church. Its entire structure was built on the administration left behind by the Romans. Historian Georges Duby has this fantastic metaphore: "The Catholic Church is the ghost of the Roman Empire, hoovering over it's dead body's grave".

-------------

Date Posted: 18-Mar-2006 at 17:44

Originally posted by Frederick Roger

The only heir to the Roman Empire was the Roman Catholic Church. Its entire structure was built on the administration left behind by the Romans. Historian Georges Duby has this fantastic metaphore: "The Catholic Church is the ghost of the Roman Empire, hoovering over it's dead body's grave".

The Roman see did, indeed, base its structure according to certain Roman principles of government, both political and ecclesiastical. The eastern patriarchs did as well. The difference between the two is that in the East the sacerdotium and the regnum were divided, while in the West the Roman Church gradually united them in the person of the Bishop of Rome. This evolution was gradual, and wasn't fully realized until the 8th-11th centuries, at which point the papacy began trying to enforce claims of universal ecclesiastical jurisdiction on its sister Patriarchal sees.

Though many organizations and states claimed to be continuations of the Roman era, the only political descendant of Rome that could claim an unbroken link was the Byzantine Empire. Thus, Herschel is correct in stating

Originally posted by Herschel

There is no heir to the Roman Empire. The line of Emporers went from Augustus to Constantine XI. 

-Akolouthos

Date Posted: 19-Mar-2006 at 13:03
Originally posted by Akolouthos

The Roman see did, indeed, base its structure according to certain Roman principles of government, both political and ecclesiastical. The eastern patriarchs did as well. The difference between the two is that in the East the sacerdotium and the regnum were divided, while in the West the Roman Church gradually united them in the person of the Bishop of Rome. This evolution was gradual, and wasn't fully realized until the 8th-11th centuries, at which point the papacy began trying to enforce claims of universal ecclesiastical jurisdiction on its sister Patriarchal sees.

Though many organizations and states claimed to be continuations of the Roman era, the only political descendant of Rome that could claim an unbroken link was the Byzantine Empire. Thus, Herschel is correct in stating

-Akolouthos

I guess you don't see the Catholic Church as a political entity...

-------------

Date Posted: 19-Mar-2006 at 14:41

A point . Alexander Borgia and Julius II definitely did.

-Akolouthos

Posted By: Imperator Invictus
Date Posted: 19-Mar-2006 at 14:44
The Eastern Roman Empire wasn't just an heir to the Roman Empire. It was the Roman Empire.

Date Posted: 19-Mar-2006 at 15:54

-Akolouthos

So did Constantine The Great. And Gregory I. And VII. And Urban II. And Innocent III... And so on....

-------------

Posted By: Maju
Date Posted: 19-Mar-2006 at 22:54

-Akolouthos

Just a point: Rodrigo (Roderick) Borgia or Alexander VI.

-------------

NO GOD, NO MASTER!

Date Posted: 19-Mar-2006 at 23:03
My opinion is that this alternative is too closed. I think that the ethnic, cultural and sociologic heir of the Roman Empire is Romania, that is: Latin Europe. Most of it has little to do with the HRE, which is over all a German institution with Roman honors. It seems that, after the fall of Rome, everybody wanted to be Roman, except Romans themselves.

If you asked for the Empire of Charlamgne, that would be different, but it was too short-lived.

So politically, the heirs of Rome are the handfull of Romance-speaking states of Europe: France, Spain, Italy, Rumania, Portugal... even Belgium and Switzerland partly. Most of them are republics, like Rome used to be in its good old times.

In a wider sense, Britain and Germany can claim a Roman heritage too, as do Greece and Albania too.

Also Latin America can indirectly claim a Roman inheritance, with Brazil being the largest Romance speaking country nowadays.

-------------

NO GOD, NO MASTER!

Posted By: Maharbbal
Date Posted: 20-Mar-2006 at 00:01
Hi,
One point for sure: neighbour Arabs saw the Byzantines as the Rumis.
Constantinople was saw as the new Rome and properly design as so (they
even built a extra hill in oder to have seven just like in Rome). Justinian
tried to re-built the Roman empire and when the Sultan took
Constantinople he claimed as well to be the new Cesar.
So I'd go for the Bosphorus city. And anyway what would be the Rome of
HRE? Aubsburg? Aix? Rastinbon?
Bye
PS: I've just remembered that as the roman empire was of greek culture,
arriving in Constantinople was only natural. (I agree tha argument's weak
but I reckon worth mentionnig).

-------------
I am a free donkey!

Posted By: Imperator Invictus
Date Posted: 20-Mar-2006 at 10:28
Maju, what you said is interesting because Romania (Ρωμανία) is the official name for the Byzantine Empire during the Middle Age. 

Date Posted: 20-Mar-2006 at 18:29
The Byzantines always perceived themselves as the only people who had the ancestral  right to be called Romans.
On the other hand the western Europeans who also considered their empire heir to the western Roman empire and themselves descendants of the Romans of the west often quarelled with the Byzantines over these matters.

This is the account of Liutprand of Cremona ambassador in Constantinople  of the Holy Roman Emperor of the west:

On this same day he ordered me to be his guest. Not; thinking me worthy, however, to be placed above any of his nobles, I sat in the fifteenth place from him, and without a tablecloth. Not only did no one of my suite sit at table, but not one of them saw even the house in which I was a guest. During which disgusting and foul meal, which was washed down with oil after the "manner of drunkards, and moistened also with a certain and other exceedingly bad fish liquor, he asked me many questions concerning your power, many concerning your dominions and your army. And when I had replied to him consequently and truly, "You lie," he said, "the soldiers of your master do -not know bow to ride, nor do they know how to fight on foot; the size of their shields, the weight of their breast-plates, the length of their swords, and the burden of their helms permits them to fight in neither one way nor the other." Then he added, smiling: "their gluttony also impedes them, for their God is their belly, their courage but wind, their bravery drunkenness. Their fasting means dissolution, their sobriety panic. Nor has your master a number of fleets on the sea. I alone have a force of navigators; I will attack him with my ships, I will overrun his maritime cities with war, and those which a-re near the rivers I will reduce to ashes. And how, I ask, can he even on landresist we with his scanty forces? His son was there, his wife was there, the Saxons, Swabians, Bavarians, were all with him: and if they did not know enough and were unable to take one little city that resisted them, how will they resist me when I come, I who am followed by as many troops as
'Gargara corn-ears have, or grape-shoots the island of Lesbos,
Stars in the sky are found, or waves in the billowy ocean

When I wished to reply to him and to give forth an answer worthy of his boasting, he did not permit me; but added as if to scoff at me: "You are -not Romans but Lombards." When he wished to speak further and was waving his hand to impose silence upon me, I said in anger: "History, teaches that the fratricide Romulus, from whom also the Romans are named, was born in adultery-; and that he made an asylum for himself in which he received insolvent debtors, fugitive slaves, homicides, and those who were worthy of death for their deeds. And he called to himself a certain number of such and called them Romans. From such nobility those are descended whom you call world-rulers, that is, emperors; whom we, namely the Lombards, Saxons, Franks, Lotharingians, Bavarians, Swabians, Burgundians, so despise, that when angry, we can call our enemies nothing more scornful than Roman-comprehending in this one thing, that is in the name of the Romans, whatever there is of contemptibility, of timidity, of avarice, of luxury, of lying: in a word, of viciousness. But because you do maintain that we are unwarlike and ignorant of horsemanship, if the sins of the Christians shall merit that you shall remain in this hard-heartedness: the next battle will show what you are, and how warlike we."

http://www.fordham.edu/Halsall/source/liudprand1.html - http://www.fordham.edu/Halsall/source/liudprand1.html

Date Posted: 20-Mar-2006 at 18:41

How could such a good-general--Nicephorus Phocas--be such a bad diplomat .

-Akolouthos

Date Posted: 20-Mar-2006 at 22:47
Originally posted by Imperator Invictus

Maju, what you said is interesting because Romania (Ρωμανία) is the official name for the Byzantine Empire during the Middle Age. 

Romania in Wikipedia directs you to Romania (Rumania) the modern state at the Black Sea. But there's another entry:

Romania may refer to:

• http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Romania" title="Romania - Romania (Rumania, Roumania) - the modern http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nation-state" title="Nation-state - nation-state in http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Southeastern_Europe" title="Southeastern Europe - southeastern Europe .
  • The informal native name for the medieval state generally referred to in http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Historiography" title="Historiography - historiography as the http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Byzantine_Empire" title="Byzantine Empire - Byzantine or http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eastern_Roman_Empire" title="Eastern Roman Empire - Eastern Roman Empire (Ρωμανία in Greek).
  • In http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Romance_languages" title="Romance languages - Romance linguistics , the Romance-speaking peoples as a group, or the places where Romance languages are spoken, also called http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Latin_Europe" title="Latin Europe - Latin Europe .

So it has the three meanings.

Of course, apart of the Rumanians, no linguistic Romanians call themselves Romans or Romanians but their languages are called Romances and their antique architectonical style Romanic. The don't call themselves Latins either most of the time but they do speak dialects of Latin. You can't also ignore that Italian national origins can only go back to the Roman republic, when Italy was first constituted as a national entity, with partial and later total Roman citizenship, while the rest of the world (including Cisalpine Gaul) were provinces (external domains) or barbarian lands.

While Greeks (Byzantines) can claim political inheritance, Latins can claim all the other aspects: cultural and ethnical specially but also legal and religious. Under the Visigoths for instance, who kept sort of an aprtheid, Romans (natives) were ruled by Roman law, while Goths were by the Gothic corps. Non-Germans were all the time called Romans, the only exception being Basques, who had stabilished a totally independent territory with a totally different legal tradition and a totally different language, being surely still Pagan for the most part and remaining for long out of the feudalist economic system.

-------------

NO GOD, NO MASTER!

Date Posted: 20-Mar-2006 at 23:03

-Akolouthos

And a greedy ruler. This sort of greed is what causes the fall of empires. Don't blame Venice, the Arabs or the Turks... blame the greed of the rulers, blame the lack of humilty.

-------------

NO GOD, NO MASTER!

Date Posted: 21-Mar-2006 at 05:04

-Akolouthos

Nicephoros was a great emperor and indeed he brought many victories to his people(that is the meaning of his name) but he was too quick tempered and it seems that he didn't get on with the people of the west.
He was prejudiced against the western Europeans
Liutprand was also very prejudiced against the Byzantines.Especially when he describes their nasty diet habits

Posted By: The Chargemaster
Date Posted: 21-Mar-2006 at 05:43

Only the Byzantine empire. The "Holy Roman Empire" was one German Empire and this empire is founded many years after the fall of the Western Roman Empire. The western state fall, but the eastern state survive. And the Eastern Roman empire was found of the romans themselves! And moreover - in the first centuries of the existing of the Byzantine empire the official language of the imperator court and of the empire was the latin language. The early byzantine law was the law of the Ancient Roman empire, but with a christian influence.

And this is interesting to me: When the Byzantine empire(the imperator court) becomes more greek than latin - after the arab-muslim invasion or before this invasion? When the greek language become an official language in the Byzantine empire?

-------------

Date Posted: 21-Mar-2006 at 06:28
Hi,
However, before being Emperor of the HRE, the Emporors were always
crowned king of the Romans. And until Charles V, they were
crowned in Italy. Moreover, their ties with the Pope were very close.
Finally, even if germanic and medieval culture were very important in
Emperor's mind, one can't denie the Roman tradition was extremely
present; if only by their attachment to the very title of Emperor.
So Constantinople of course... but HRE's still in the race.
Bye.

-------------
I am a free donkey!

Posted By: Bashibozuk
Date Posted: 21-Mar-2006 at 10:44

While Greeks (Byzantines) can claim political inheritance

What makes them able to claim political inheritance? Greeks can only claim cultural and religious inheritance from Byzanthines, but political is definately for Turks, not others...

-------------
Garibim, namima Kerem diyorlar,
Asli'mi el almis, harem diyorlar.
Hastayim, derdime verem diyorlar,
Marasli Seyhoglu Satilmis'im ben.

Date Posted: 21-Mar-2006 at 10:56
What makes them able to claim political inheritance? Turks can only claim cultural and religious inheritance from Byzanthines, but political is definately for Ottomans, not others...

-------------

Date Posted: 21-Mar-2006 at 13:17

Originally posted by Bashibozuk

What makes them able to claim political inheritance? Greeks can only claim cultural and religious inheritance from Byzanthines, but political is definately for Turks, not others...

Come on. Though it is debatable who "inherited" the traditions of the Romans, one group who demonstrably did not is the Turks.

-Akolouthos

Date Posted: 22-Mar-2006 at 06:04
Look here about the information and MAPS of these empires: http://4umi.com/image/map/rome/19maps.htm - http://4umi.com/image/map/rome/19maps.htm

-------------

Date Posted: 22-Mar-2006 at 09:08
The link didn't work for me. I think you're referring to this site, though: http://www.cit.gu.edu.au/%7Es285238/Roman/19Maps.html - http://www.cit.gu.edu.au/~s285238/Roman/19Maps.html

-------------

Date Posted: 22-Mar-2006 at 10:09
Originally posted by The Chargemaster

Look here about the information and MAPS of these empires: http://4umi.com/image/map/rome/19maps.htm - http://4umi.com/image/map/rome/19maps.htm

Well, the site could have well drawn the Holy Roman Empire of Charles V as well (from Peru to Slovakia, from Philippines to the Netherlands)... Don't know why the fall of Constantinople should be any final line.

-------------

NO GOD, NO MASTER!

Date Posted: 22-Mar-2006 at 11:18

The link didn't work for me. I think you're referring to this site, though: http://www.cit.gu.edu.au/%7Es285238/Roman/19Maps.html - http://www.cit.gu.edu.au/~s285238/Roman/19Maps.html

Yes, that`s right.

-------------

Date Posted: 22-Mar-2006 at 17:47
Originally posted by Maju

Well, the site could have well drawn the Holy Roman Empire of Charles V as well (from Peru to Slovakia, from Philippines to the Netherlands)... Don't know why the fall of Constantinople should be any final line.

Charles' Empire was indeed a vast empire, the Holy Roman Empire at its peak.
But Charles didn't do something that he should have done as a holy Roman Emperor,his troops sacked Rome in 1527 and he didn't prevent it from happening.

Posted By: pikeshot1600
Date Posted: 22-Mar-2006 at 18:08

Originally posted by RomiosArktos

But Charles didn't do something that he should have done as a holy Roman Emperor,his troops sacked Rome in 1527 and he didn't prevent it from happening.

Charles couldn't prevent it from happening.  The troops were unpaid, and that was starting to be the biggest early modern problem.  Wars became lengthy and destructive; ways to pay for them became the largest problem of the sixteenth century, other than the Reformation.

For several reasons, I think the Sack of Rome was one of the most important events since 1500.  It was not a "decisive" battle, and there were no great documents or historic noble intentions, but it was a big determining event in how the sixteenth century developed.

The Reformation was the largest social/intellectual factor of the century, but close behind was the way in which war changed...and how that shaped Europe.

Date Posted: 22-Mar-2006 at 18:54
Hi,

When in Spain Charles learned, just after his son's birth, Rome had been
sack, he cancelled all feasts and prayed for three days.
Charles de Bourbon, the French general of Charles mercenaries himself
didn't want Rome to be taken but his unpaid troops forced him. Finally
what kind of town is it the one that cannot even resist three days of
siege?

Bye.

-------------
I am a free donkey!

Date Posted: 23-Mar-2006 at 00:45
Originally posted by RomiosArktos

So what?

I wasn't talking morality but the dimension and importance of his empire. Probably the all-times maximum of Rome.

-------------

NO GOD, NO MASTER!

Date Posted: 23-Mar-2006 at 04:09

Don't know why the fall of Constantinople should be any final line.

The Easterh Roman Empire have been founded by the romans themselves. And not just "founded" - it was the eastern half of the ancient Roman Empire. The Western half fall in 4th september 476 year. The Eastern half fall in 1453 year. In 29 may 1453 year Constantinople was captured and the last byzantine emperor was killed.  That`s all.

The Holy Roman Empire of the German Nation(Latin -  Sacrum Romanum Imperium Nationis Germanicae) have been founded in 962 year. This was one political state with very different SOCIETY than the ancient Roman Empire. I think that it will be similar, if someone found today some empire with a title like: "Great Roman Empire of some Nation" or other title of that sort...

-------------

Posted By: Guests
Date Posted: 23-Mar-2006 at 04:11
No doubt, the Byzantine Empire is the real heir of the Roman Empire and not the Holy Roman Empire as its neither Holy nor Roman nor Empire...thats why the Roman Empire didn't end in 476 as some textbooks claim but it ends in 1453...the sad fall of Constantinople....

Date Posted: 23-Mar-2006 at 04:55

The Easterh Roman Empire have been founded by the romans themselves. And not just "founded" - it was the eastern half of the ancient Roman Empire. The Western half fall in 4th september 476 year. The Eastern half fall in 1453 year. In 29 may 1453 year Constantinople was captured and the last byzantine emperor was killed.  That`s all.

The Holy Roman Empire of the German Nation(Latin -  Sacrum Romanum Imperium Nationis Germanicae) have been founded in 962 year. This was one political state with very different SOCIETY than the ancient Roman Empire. I think that it will be similar, if someone found today some empire with a title like: "Great Roman Empire of some Nation" or other title of that sort...

I've been through this before: we all know that the move of the capital from Rome to Byzantium, together with the impositon of Christianity can't be seen but as an act of treason by Constantine.

The HRE is the reconstrution of the riginal Roman Empire: an Empire that had Latin as its official language, even if it had changed religion for then.

-------------

NO GOD, NO MASTER!

Posted By: Raider
Date Posted: 23-Mar-2006 at 05:19

Just to be precise. Charles V was neither the king of Bohemia nor Hungary. (since present day Slovakia was a part of Hungary.)

I've been through this before: we all know that the move of the capital from Rome to Byzantium, together with the impositon of Christianity can't be seen but as an act of treason by Constantine.

The HRE is the reconstrution of the riginal Roman Empire: an Empire that had Latin as its official language, even if it had changed religion for then.
1. Treason? I think you have a very unque view of this question.

2. It was quite general that a medieval country used Latin as official language.

Date Posted: 23-Mar-2006 at 07:35
1. Yes: treason to the city of Rome. Or wasn't Constantine who removed its privileges and demoted it from capitalhood? After constantine there was no more Rome just a neo-Helenistic state with a Judaist religion.

2. Only countries that had a Roman heritage used Latin as oficial languages. Byzantium didn't since certain moment, Muslim countries didn't either nor we know that Scandinavian countries or Great Moravia or Russia did. Only the countries that kept direct Latin heritage or had adopted it (in form of Catholic religion mostly) used Latin.

-------------

NO GOD, NO MASTER!

Date Posted: 23-Mar-2006 at 07:44

1. Yes: treason to the city of Rome. Or wasn't Constantine who removed its privileges and demoted it from capitalhood? After constantine there was no more Rome just a neo-Helenistic state with a Judaist religion.

2. Only countries that had a Roman heritage used Latin as oficial languages. Byzantium didn't since certain moment, Muslim countries didn't either nor we know that Scandinavian countries or Great Moravia or Russia did. Only the countries that kept direct Latin heritage or had adopted it (in form of Catholic religion mostly) used Latin.
1.  Interesting view. In my opinion it was a good decision to chose an empire instead of a city.

2. You are right, but being a catholic country is far from being the new Roman Empire.

Date Posted: 23-Mar-2006 at 11:33

Obviously for the next 200 years the West Romans had no problem with not having their capital in Rome, as it was moved two more times. Even during Justinians reconquest, Ravenna was the seat of the Italian provinces.

-------------

Date Posted: 23-Mar-2006 at 23:15
Originally posted by Raider

1.  Interesting view. In my opinion it was a good decision to chose an empire instead of a city.

My point is that Constantine killed the Empire with that action - he did save nothing. The glue that had kept the Empire united was the "colonialism" of Rome capital over specially the East, which provided most of the founding. Moving the capital to the East, as Constantine did, was acnowledging that the West, Rome included, was superfluous and therefore it was an anticipation of it's abandonement to the barbarians.

It was a very anti-Roman decission, as you can see.

2. You are right, but being a catholic country is far from being the new Roman Empire.

My point is not that they are Catholic but that they use Latin as official language, which made them more closely connected to Rome than Greek-speaking Byzantium.

I don't care about the continuity of the state or title, I care about the cultural and ethnological legacy. In this sense only Romania (the Latin World) and, in a more flexible sense, Catholic states which used Latin as oficial language and often were vassal of either the Emperor of Rome (HRE) or the Pope of Rome or both, can be considered true heirs of Rome as such, while the Eastern Empire is culturally more a legacy of Athens and Macedon - which is not any shame, in my understanding.

-------------

NO GOD, NO MASTER!

Posted By: R_AK47
Date Posted: 23-Mar-2006 at 23:40
Maju you are wrong.  Constantine was the savior of the Roman Empire.  He gave the empire a powerfull new capital city, rejuventated it with a new religion, built the Church of the Holy Sepulcher.  He was able to do this because he placed the sacred chi-rho symbol on the shields of his soldiers and other places.  This brought him victory, honor, and glory.  Rome was deteriorating and had to be replaced.  As stated earlier in this thread, Ravenna was of greater importance to the western half of the empire during its last years.  Besides, the greatest threats to the empire's existence all came from the east (Persia/Iran and later the arabs and turks).  Moving the capital closer to the front lines made sense.  Constantinople was also a far more secure (easily defended) position to govern from then Rome was.

Date Posted: 24-Mar-2006 at 02:56

My point is that Constantine killed the Empire with that action - he did save nothing. The glue that had kept the Empire united was the "colonialism" of Rome capital over specially the East, which provided most of the founding. Moving the capital to the East, as Constantine did, was acnowledging that the West, Rome included, was superfluous and therefore it was an anticipation of it's abandonement to the barbarians.

It was a very anti-Roman decission, as you can see.

My point is not that they are Catholic but that they use Latin as official language, which made them more closely connected to Rome than Greek-speaking Byzantium.

I don't care about the continuity of the state or title, I care about the cultural and ethnological legacy. In this sense only Romania (the Latin World) and, in a more flexible sense, Catholic states which used Latin as oficial language and often were vassal of either the Emperor of Rome (HRE) or the Pope of Rome or both, can be considered true heirs of Rome as such, while the Eastern Empire is culturally more a legacy of Athens and Macedon - which is not any shame, in my understanding.
I disagree. Langue is an important thing, but not the only. The politicaly  in administration and military Byzantium had much more connection to the ancient Rome. On the other hand the Holy Roman Empire was an intellectual creation, but I do not think that the population considered himself as Roman, unlike in Byzantine Empire.

Date Posted: 24-Mar-2006 at 03:30
Byzantium had much more connection with ancient Rome?

Why? Rome first conquered Italy, to wich it gave citizenship before any other region, creating for the first time the concept of an Italian nation. Rome then conquered the West: Sicily, Sardinia, Illyria, Marseilles, Hispania, Africa...

Only then Rome looked to the East.

So what did the Hellenistic East have more in connection with Rome? I wonder? The title of Emperor?

Language, law... all that was more influential in Western Europe than in the already civilized East. The East owed little to Rome, the West owed almost everything.

-------------

NO GOD, NO MASTER!

Date Posted: 24-Mar-2006 at 03:38
Originally posted by R_AK47

Maju you are wrong.

Constantine was the savior of the Roman Empire.  He gave the empire a powerfull new capital city, rejuventated it with a new religion, built the Church of the Holy Sepulcher.  He was able to do this because he placed the sacred chi-rho symbol on the shields of his soldiers and other places.  This brought him victory, honor, and glory.  Rome was deteriorating and had to be replaced.  As stated earlier in this thread, Ravenna was of greater importance to the western half of the empire during its last years.  Besides, the greatest threats to the empire's existence all came from the east (Persia/Iran and later the arabs and turks).  Moving the capital closer to the front lines made sense.  Constantinople was also a far more secure (easily defended) position to govern from then Rome was.

You are a very superstitious Christian - I couldn't but expect this sort of ideological discourse from you: Constantine was "Great" because he placed the "sacred" XP on his shield (we don't know for sure that the XP means Christ and not Chronos or whatever - but anyhow) and built a church in Jerusalem (did he? actually?).

I disagree that the main threat came from the East: Parthia was never any major threat and they had never managed to conquer anything of importance. As history would prove the true major threat were always the Germans.

As discussed in certain "what if..." (what if Hannibal would have won), the main issue is that while control of Gaul is of central geostrategical importance for Rome/Italy, it is relatively irrelevant for other centers like Carthage/Africa or Byzantium/Greece. Once the center of the Empire was moved away from Western Europe, the work of Caesar couldn't be be undone, as those alternative centers had not the slightest interest in defending Western Europe from the Germans. Soon the West was on its own: doomed.

-------------

NO GOD, NO MASTER!

Date Posted: 24-Mar-2006 at 03:40

Byzantium had much more connection with ancient Rome?

Why? Rome first conquered Italy, to wich it gave citizenship before any other region, creating for the first time the concept of an Italian nation. Rome then conquered the West: Sicily, Sardinia, Illyria, Marseilles, Hispania, Africa...

Only then Rome looked to the East.

So what did the Hellenistic East have more in connection with Rome? I wonder? The title of Emperor?

Language, law... all that was more influential in Western Europe than in the already civilized East. The East owed little to Rome, the West owed almost everything.
Germany was the core of the Holy Roman Empire and these lands were never part of the ancient empire.

I have never speak about the hellenistic east, I spoke about the Byzantine Empire as a state, a structure of power and political traditions.

By the way ancient Rome was also greatly influenced by Greek culture.

Date Posted: 24-Mar-2006 at 03:42

Obviously for the next 200 years the West Romans had no problem with not having their capital in Rome, as it was moved two more times. Even during Justinians reconquest, Ravenna was the seat of the Italian provinces.

If Ravenna would have been the capital of all the Empire, then there qouls hev been less diference. Even if we ignore the fact that Ravenna looks to the Adriatic and therefore to the East, while Rome looks to the Tyrrhenian and therefore the West, Ravenna had +/- the same defenssive needs as Rome: the line of the Rhin-Danub could not be abandoned under any pretext.

But it's the emancipation of the East what actually damaged Rome: half the empire wasn't viable. All the empire, with center in Italy was the only viable option. And that option asn't available anymore after Constantine.

-------------

NO GOD, NO MASTER!

Posted By: Leonardo
Date Posted: 24-Mar-2006 at 08:57

I disagree. Langue is an important thing, but not the only. The politicaly  in administration and military Byzantium had much more connection to the ancient Rome. On the other hand the Holy Roman Empire was an intellectual creation, but I do not think that the population considered himself as Roman, unlike in Byzantine Empire.

This is a good point. Infact in the East they considered themselves as Romans even after the fall of Constantinople in 1453. In the West not even in Italy from the Middle Ages on they considered themselves as "Romans" but as Italians or "Latins" in the sense of "(Neo)latin-speaking" people, with the exceptions of the inhabitants of the region "Romagna" (near Ravenna) and, of course, of the city of Rome.

Print Page | Close Window

Bulletin Board Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 9.56a - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2009 Web Wiz - http://www.webwizguide.com