Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Diversity and Similarity among Civilizations

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Poliphilia View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Poliphilia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Diversity and Similarity among Civilizations
    Posted: 27-Feb-2006 at 09:10

Is there any theory or model to explain why there were so diversified yet similar civilizations around the world?

1. Always from Old Stone Age to Neolithic? and so on?

2. Always have verbal or written languages? (even develop in different places, finally there were characters and speech?)

3. No matter how far the east and the west, ancient people worships their Gods, Sun, Fire, Heavn, etc.

I wanna know is there any further reading I can get to know these wonders. The "destinations" of different Civilizations sounds similiar. I hope I make myself clear

p.s. please don't challenge the human activities in Old stone Age, etc are not stictly called "Civilizations". I guess you know I'm talking about "Human Development"(?)

Edited by Poliphilia
Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Maju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Feb-2006 at 22:54
1. The only clear case of cultural parallel independent evolution is America, where both Neolithic and Bornze were apparently discovered indepedently from Eurasia. Most of the rest of techs have a single worldwide focus (though its been noted that many inventions just pop out simultaneously in several places/minds at the same time when civs are ripe for that).

2. On languages there are theories (Chomsky) that state that we are born with a basic shared pattern for language creation - but others dismiss this idea.

3. No. It's not so clear that people always worship gods. Tainos for instance are described by Colombus as not having any gods and that their statues were done just for the sake of beauty. C. Rodrigaez uses this info to defend that Neolithic Europeans of the "Matristic culture" were also atheists who just celebrated life with their art.

Another case of atheist culture were the Vaccean Celts of Spain. Not all cultures have religion(s).

NO GOD, NO MASTER!
 Post Reply Post Reply