Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Who was Greater? Saladin or Richard the Lionhearted??

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author
duchess View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Online Status: Offline
  Quote duchess Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Who was Greater? Saladin or Richard the Lionhearted??
    Posted: 25-Feb-2007 at 02:17
well i think homosexuality or sexual misconduct is noteworthy , maybe not in our time but it was back then , it was punished by capital punishment , in fact in his fathers reign it was the first time torture was used against alleged homosexuals , It is also note worthy that although all of henry II sons rebelled against him , save john who was a mere boy at the time , Richard would never be back in royal favor for the rest of his reign..and even before then , Richard was largely raised by his mother and neglected by his father , he had his lands and titles confiscated by his father at one point , this is of course after his mother had already ceded her title of duchess of Aquitaine to him , he did not however confiscate any of the young king or the duke of Brittany's lands , over all there must have been a reason for such a disaffection between the two for various reasons and maybe Richards alleged homosexuality was one.
trying to recapture a holy city for religious reasons and also committing the vilest sin  against god ( as according to both faiths ) shows a contradiction of sorts , over all despite what we know of Richard today , many things have not been brought to light , often we tend to forget or over-emphasize his pros and cons
" foul as it is, Hell Itself is defiled by the presence of john"- Mathew paris
Melisende View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Melisende Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Feb-2007 at 03:07
Duchess,

I for one would be interested in the three sources that you claim for Richard's alleged homosexuality.

And with regards to your claim that Richard was a pedophile - what source do you have for that.

Richard's father Henry II did not stoop to bed the very young Alice of France (Richard's fiance) - and get her pregnant at least twice.  As for the claim that the daughter of Isaac Comenus of Cyprus was 15 at the time, by the standards of Richard's day, that was considered to be of marriageable and therefore beddable age.  Children were married much younger than today and as such OUR standards should not be imposed.  There have been cases were girls as young as 12 were not only married but preganant at that age.  Of course, the sruvival rate would have been much lower - but that is not the point being argued.

So, again, sources if you would be so kind.

Edited by Melisende - 26-Feb-2007 at 03:08
"For my part, I adhere to the maxim of antiquity: The throne is a glorious sepulchre."
elvain View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote elvain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Feb-2007 at 18:49
to the original question:
it's obvious that the resources of kingdom of Jerusalem couldn't compete to resources of unified Egypt and Syria. That is where Saladin was successfull and in the long run finaly turned the advantage to muslims

on the other side Richard couldn't afford to fight long lasting war as he had duties back home in France (and England).
Saladin was very close to the final victory when Richard came and delayed it for several decades

IMO Richard managed to do even more than original crusaders in 1099 who didn't fought against unified muslim power in the region, while Richard did and defeated it, eventhugh(or because?) it was wisely led by Saladin.
But Saladin knew he could lose every single battle to Richard and just pull his forces back into Egypt and deeper in Syria and wait when Richard returns home and the final victory still will be on his side.

So considering the background Richard achieved more than he could and Saladin finaly turned the balance of power on muslim side untill the end of middle ages. Both achieved almost all they wanted, Richard in his lifetime (what he wanted) and Saladin in long term history (what he wanted)
but Saladin could use much wider scale of resources, so if I would give Richard 51 out of 100 points and 49 to Saladin

so I think that very slightly, but Richard was little greater

Edited by elvain - 26-Feb-2007 at 18:55
duchess View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote duchess Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Mar-2007 at 04:20
those 3 sources can be found in a few history books i have read , they are also noted in Alison weirs biography of Eleanor of Aquitaine , because Richard predeceased his mother and because of the special bond the two had for each other , it does largely  talk about Richards own life , in fact it could even be considered a biography of his life within eleanors , those three sources are mentioned.
as well one bishop who knew of Richards affair with the daughter of Isaac Commenus  , said , and i quote that she was a ' mere child ' at the time..and that the king spent many hours alone with the girl , it caused quite a scandal , and i am weighing it down according to the standards set up in medieval times  , my own grandmother had her first child when she was 14 LOL
presumably a child in those days would be something between 5-7 years of age.
" foul as it is, Hell Itself is defiled by the presence of john"- Mathew paris
Melisende View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Melisende Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Mar-2007 at 05:59
Sorry Duchess, have to correct you there.

The daughter of Isaac Comnenus, Despot of Cyprus, was married in 1200 to a Count of Toulouse.  She was approximately 22yo at the time.  So, when Richard invaded Cyprus in 1191, she would have been13yo - not 5.  Her mother was an Armenian Princess by the way.

So, as I said originally, she was of marriageable and beddable age.
"For my part, I adhere to the maxim of antiquity: The throne is a glorious sepulchre."
Constantine XI View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Constantine XI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Mar-2007 at 17:12
15 was considered perfectly marriagable age and very much perfect for the conception of children. Let us not forget that back then the average lifespan was half what it is today, it was important to get your wife producing children as often and as soon as possible.

As a contemporary to these events, the Byzantine Emperor Andronicus I Komnenos married the 12 year old Queen of his predecessor and consummated the marriage. None of this is pleasant by our standards today, but back then things were very different.
Crusader3943 View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Crusader3943 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Mar-2007 at 11:14
As far a military ganius and skill, I think that they were about the same. However, I like Richard better.
Crusader3943
tommy View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote tommy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Mar-2007 at 11:27
When I was even a secondary student, in history lesson., when talking about the history of  middle age, Saladin was talked widely, but I think he was overrated,he was defeated by Richard, there was another Muslim hero, after saladin ,his name was Baibars, who defeated Mongols and end the occupation of all Europeans,but he was selsom talked.
leung
Balain d Ibelin View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Balain d Ibelin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-May-2007 at 21:21
Of course Saladin...

The reason is:
         - Saladin proved that he was a superb tactician in the battle of Hattin.
         - Saladin was Chivalrous (But sometimes merciless)
         - Saladin was wise and gallant
         - Saladin was a man that kept a promise (Truce with the Christians)
         - Richard was only a warrior, not a Politician and a good Tactician like Saladin.
         - Richard was more merciless than Saladin
"Good quality will be known among your enemies, before you ever met them my friend"Trobadourre de Crusadier Crux
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234