Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Patrician/Port Royale

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Cywr View Drop Down
King
King
Retired AE Moderator

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Cywr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Patrician/Port Royale
    Posted: 27-Jan-2006 at 08:37
I could have sworn there was a Port Royale thread here, but having delved into the dusty shelves of AE's past, i have been unable to find it (they must have been on a previous incarnation of AE, damn, was it that long ago?).

The two games are very similar, one is based in the Caribbean (Port Royale), and the other in the Baltic/N. Sea region (Patrician III). The former set in the late 1500s-1600s, the latter during the rise of the Hanse - 1300s.
Both games have similar gameplay dynamics, except i feel the city building and career element in Patrician is superior, but on the other hand, the diversity of ships and the battles and trading element is better in Port Royale (though ship diversity in Patrician is actualy greater than first appears, its somewhat insipid), as well as some of the storylines.

Anyways, i've been playing Patrician III, and this has prompted me to re-install Port Royale. I recall there were some fans of the game here (cattus?), did anyone ever try Port Royale II? Anyone play Patrian II/III?

Edited by Cywr
Arrrgh!!"
Kapikulu View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Kapikulu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Jan-2006 at 09:13
Patrician's playability was a little bit weak, after trying it for an hour, I returned back to KOEI co.'s antique wonder game passing in the seas named Uncharted Waters II.
We gave up your happiness
Your hope would be enough;
we couldn't find neither;
we made up sorrows for ourselves;
we couldn't be consoled;

A Strange Orhan Veli
Cywr View Drop Down
King
King
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cywr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Jan-2006 at 09:21
Its a steep learning curve, but it all depends on successfully setting up your own production lines, whilst not expanding too quickly.
Piracy early on will give you easy cash injections as well as additional ships, and selling furs in the Med and Irongoods in America are great cashcows. Still, the real challenge lies in growing your hometown (and the town you will eventialy establish) in to large settlemnts with populations in the 10s of thousands.
Arrrgh!!"
cattus View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Quote cattus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Jan-2006 at 23:51
Yes yes yes, Port Royale was fun eh? A flaw in the game was that you could resale captured ships for a fortune and build up too much money. There was a mod to fix it I believe. PR2 was a failure in comparison going from the demo and reviews.

So you recommend Partician, will have to pick it up one day?
Cywr View Drop Down
King
King
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cywr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Feb-2006 at 18:35
Hmm, i find that captured ships don't sell that well, though i guess if you captured alot of them you could make good money, but is it worth it considering you can set up automatic trade routs that can pull in a 100k every 2 weeks whilst you effectivly do nothing?

I'm tempted to give Port Royale II ago anyways, despite the bad reviews, i shall hunt down the demo as soon as i can.

I really like this genre, i'd really love for a Patrician IV that drasticly improves the city building element, and perhaps throws in a bit of ship diversity (techicly there are i think 3 tech levels for each of the 4 ships, so whilst there is diversity on a technical level, it still feels like just 4 ships), maybe even more goods or something. And a Port Royale III that leans towards Patrician somewhat, with you earning the title of governer in a town (as well as having your own) or something, and again improved city building element and such.

They should also make this sort of game for other areas and eras, say teh Mediterranean or the Indian Ocean.

*fantasises*

Arrrgh!!"
cattus View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Quote cattus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Feb-2006 at 00:42
A Port Royale 3 would be great news.

So I picked up Part III and installed it. My time is limited lately but will try to overcome this learning curve over the next few days any chance I get.
Cywr View Drop Down
King
King
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cywr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Feb-2006 at 09:53
Need any tips, or an automatic trade route to get you started, just ask.
Note that, whilst ships can sail without a captain, inoder to start an automatic trade route, or commit piracy, you will need a captain (idealy you'll want one to hunt pirates as well, for the navigation bonus will give you much needed extra speed).
Arrrgh!!"
Periander View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Periander Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Feb-2006 at 03:59
Ah, the Patrician. I used to have Patrician AGA running on my A1200. Bloody great game... one of the harder ones though: the learning curve is steep (i could get to grips with the game, no dramas there) and I kept on going bankrupt! (unheard for me, I am usually very good at management games). Captures a nice atmosphere though, very Renaissancey.
Cywr View Drop Down
King
King
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cywr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Feb-2006 at 05:14
I keep coming up against some sort of memory brick wall, despite having twice the recomended RAM.
The game just plain quits itself then.
Meh, back to Patrician.
Arrrgh!!"
 Post Reply Post Reply