Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

China conitnued exploring with ZHENG HO and colonized america!!!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: China conitnued exploring with ZHENG HO and colonized america!!!
    Posted: 01-Nov-2004 at 10:08
Come on, China is not the only country that's being stereotyped. Just look at some other topics. There are made many jokes of surrendering French, Bratwurst and Oktoberfest Germans, Wylsh spwkyng pyply, pot-smoking Dutch, English food, etc.
As long as is isn't meant serious or made for racist intentions there isn't much wrong about making jokes about stereotypes. I think all people on AE are mature enough to understand those stereotypes are not based on thruth.
demon View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Online Status: Offline
  Quote demon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Nov-2004 at 18:23
And it takes humor to understand them as a laugh rather than get anger with. 
Grrr..
Tobodai View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Tobodai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Nov-2004 at 10:58
without stereotypes the world would be...so humourless
"the people are nothing but a great beast...
I have learned to hold popular opinion of no value."
-Alexander Hamilton
MengTzu View Drop Down
General
General

Retired Moderator

Quote MengTzu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Nov-2004 at 15:47

Hey demon,

you wrote, "Funny how you refer to occidental human rights right there....China had no history of human rights, while the Occidental world did.  And that's why I believe the Occidental world managed to archieve democracy.  China would have never gained that status."

You're not familiar with Chinese ancient culture.  The idea of democracy was suggested as early as third or second century B.C. by Meng Tzu (yay.)  The idea of human rights did not reach what it is today until very recently.  If it could develop in the West, it most certainly could develop in the East.  Confucianism is often called by the West a humanistic philosophy, for example, though it is a oversimplification, certain elements of Eastern thoughts do contain ideas similar to Western humanism.

That is not to say that Confucianism only contains humanistic ideas.  It also contains the opposite.  But same can be said of Western thoughts.

Peace,

Michael

11-4-2004

demon View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote demon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Nov-2004 at 17:51

You're not familiar with Chinese ancient culture.  The idea of democracy was suggested as early as third or second century B.C. by Meng Tzu (yay.)  The idea of human rights did not reach what it is today until very recently.  If it could develop in the West, it most certainly could develop in the East.  Confucianism is often called by the West a humanistic philosophy, for example, though it is a oversimplification, certain elements of Eastern thoughts do contain ideas similar to Western humanism.

Enlighten me.  Who is meng tzu?  What did he do?  and don't forget to Prove your claim.

Grrr..
JanusRook View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Ad Maiorem Dei Gloriam

Quote JanusRook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Nov-2004 at 20:01

Meng Tzu (Mencius), was the Second teacher of Confucianism. He was a great philosopher and wrote a few major confucianist books, although I can't recite which ones off the top of my head.

I don't think confucianism's goal was human rights though. It's basically you should do this because that is the way things are done.

Economic Communist, Political Progressive, Social Conservative.

Unless otherwise noted source is wiki.
Tobodai View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Tobodai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Nov-2004 at 21:57
It was more of way to stabilize society and also so that there would be less need to divert funds for policing.  Nothing no matter how idealistic is ever adoopted unless practical, and it is likely to be revisioned many times regardless of who/why adopts it.
"the people are nothing but a great beast...
I have learned to hold popular opinion of no value."
-Alexander Hamilton
demon View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote demon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Nov-2004 at 01:12
Oh oh.  Thanx ppl.  Meng Tzu is Meng Ja in korean
Grrr..
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12