Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Estonian Literature

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
rider View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Online Status: Offline
  Quote rider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Estonian Literature
    Posted: 23-Dec-2005 at 06:01

Who of you has read any Estonian literacy items? I am asking this because for being a small country, Estonia has got a number of very skilled writers the best of them being:

• Oskar Luts
  • Karl Ristikivi
  • Anton Hansen Tammsaare
  • August Kitzberg
  • August Gailit
  • Andrus Kivirhk
  • Friedrich Reinhold Kreutzwald
  • Jaan Kross
  • Juhan Liiv
  • Friedebert Tuglas

And a huge number of skilled poets:

• Betti Alver
  • Lydia Koidula
  • Juhan Liiv
  • Paul-Eerik Rummo
  • Marie Under
  • Juhan Viiding
Kalevipoeg View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Kalevipoeg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Dec-2005 at 18:56
I haven't even read "Spring" by Oskar Luts.
I have read one of Gailits works, Kitzbergs "werewolf", Kross and of course, Kivirhk.

Quite pathetic for a native actually.

Whenever you read Estonian literature you will mostly get, what i have picked up from my shallow reading of it, a great depression of the REALISM it always contains. Everything painted in grey, grey-blue, in a depressive colorite atleast. Every page passes slowly with little activity, long realistic talks of poor Estonian hicks (the true Estonian spirit).
There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible than a man in the depths of an ether binge...
arsenka View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote arsenka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Jan-2006 at 05:46
I've read "Spring" by Oscar Luts. Good book! I liked it.As for the national spirit... I think if the writer manages to express it in his creation it's his merit.
arsenka
Scealai View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote Scealai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Jan-2006 at 18:56
I would love to read some Estonian literature!  I really love reading foreign literature.  I'll have to do an internet search on those authors.  Unless you already have some links I could use?  Thanks! 
Diversity is what makes the world beautiful.
SearchAndDestroy View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote SearchAndDestroy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Jan-2006 at 15:00
Are their any Poets that I may find a book in English translation?
"A patriot must always be ready to defend his country against his government." E.Abbey
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Kalevipoeg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Jan-2006 at 18:03
I shall investigate. Which pieces of literature have been translated from Estonian to English. As much as i know about the "great Estonian novel ", named "Truth and justice" by Anton Hansen Tammsaare (our elite of the elite, compared to Bulgakov i might boast, not by style, but class) is to my knowledge in almost every European language except English. 
I'll see poetry too.
There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible than a man in the depths of an ether binge...
Caliph
Caliph

Quote SearchAndDestroy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Jan-2006 at 12:22
Thanks for taking your time to look Kalevipoeg. I really appreciate it.
"A patriot must always be ready to defend his country against his government." E.Abbey
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Kalevipoeg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Jan-2006 at 13:01
I found some authors:
The avangard of novel writers have English translations:
1) Jaan Kross - has more extensive translations
2) Karl Ristikivi

also August Gailit, Friedebert Tuglas seem to be in English on some level.

Estonian poetess: Betti Alver
and another poetess Marie Under

i have this link on Under with one translated poem i happened to find:
http://www.lituanus.org/1983_3/83_3_05.htm

Hope it is easy to find these translations somewhere, how rare are these, really don't know.
Caliph
Caliph

Quote SearchAndDestroy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Jan-2006 at 15:10

Thnaks for finding them. I looked them up at amazon.com and barnes and nobles, but they are mostly out of print or in the native language.

Thanks again.

Post Reply Post Reply