Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

What was the Cortes?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
rider View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Online Status: Offline
  Quote rider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What was the Cortes?
    Posted: 26-Nov-2005 at 12:33

I have never really understood what The Cortes really was and I believe some Spanish expert can explain it to me.

PS! I am not talking of Hernan Cortes.

Jhangora View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Jhangora Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Nov-2005 at 13:17
Jai Badri Vishal
Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Quote Maju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Nov-2005 at 13:52
Originally posted by rider

I have never really understood what The Cortes really was and I believe some Spanish expert can explain it to me.

That's the Parlament. It means literally the Courts. In singular (corte) can also be used for a tribunal.

PS! I am not talking of Hernan Cortes.

Of course. Because it is Hernn Corts, which means Hernn (a version of Ferdinand) Courteous.

Cortes (as in las Cortes Generales del Reino) has the emphasis in the first syllabe [KOHR-tehs]. Corts has the emphasis in the last syllabe [kohr-TEHS] instead.

NO GOD, NO MASTER!
Frederick Roger View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Frederick Roger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Nov-2005 at 04:33
It's not actually a parlament. It's a general assembly, consisting of representants of the three orders, usually gathered to invest a new King or for the monarch to pass an important law. It became obsolete with the advent of Absolutism, having a brief appearance before the organization of Political Parties and modern democracy.
Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Quote Maju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Nov-2005 at 08:15
Well, in Spain the Parlament is still called Las Cortes, it consists of a Congress of Deputies (low chamber) and a Senate (upper chamber). Of course, in Medieval times it was diferent. 

NO GOD, NO MASTER!
 Post Reply Post Reply