Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Combat Mission

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Temujin View Drop Down
King
King
Sirdar Bahadur

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Temujin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Combat Mission
    Posted: 24-Oct-2005 at 17:32

I don't really like ww2, neither games about it but this one was recommended to me for its realism. there are three games of it, CM: Beyond Overlord (western front '44 to '45), playable nations are Americans, Brits, Canadians, French, Poles and Germans. CM: Barbarossa to Berlin (eastern front '41 to '45), playable nations: Germans, Finns, Italians, Hungarians, Romanians (axis and allies), Russians and Poles. and finally, CM: Afrika Korps (North Africa, East Africa, Crete and Italy '41 to '45), playable nations are Germans, Italians, Brits, Americans, Canadians, Australians, New Zealanders, South Africans, French and Poles.

the game is turn based, not not in a classical sense. there is a command phase and an execution phase. both sides give orders and then confirm. then, both orders are executed simultaneously for one minute, then the turn is over and you give new orders if necessary or just adjust old orders according to the situation. usually there are 30 turns (=30 mintues) but can be up to 50 i think, but that many are only necessary for really big maps. as already mentioned, realism is what makes this game sweet. tanks have realistical armor thinkness and guns have different calibers, and lenght of the barell are also important on logn range duels. it is also possible that the armor is oblique and balls simply ricochet off. there's much more to say, simply check the website: www.battlefront.com

for me, the realism, the different nations and division types (Romanian cavalry vs Hungarian garrison ) or motorised Waffen SS vs motorised Red Guard, Polish paratroops vs Volkssturm, Red partisans vs italian bersaglieri, South Africans vs Gebirgsjger...everything possible here...

here are three screenshots from the second of three scenarios about Kursk in CMBB. I will also post screens from my other game as Romania vs Hungary in Transsylvania:

Tobodai View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Tobodai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Oct-2005 at 22:59
Yes this is the only WW2 strategy game I ever really liked, I liked its unique turn based system and the very realistic experience of being a general and watching for a helpless munite not being able to intervene.  The eastern front one is better especially because of Russian armies and the option to "advance to contact" which the first one didnt have and was a problem.
"the people are nothing but a great beast...
I have learned to hold popular opinion of no value."
-Alexander Hamilton
Temujin View Drop Down
King
King
Sirdar Bahadur

Quote Temujin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Oct-2005 at 15:28
agree, this is a must for ww2 wargamers. what attracts me most is the wealth of tanks and uniforms, as well as the number of small nations like Poland, Romania etc....
Temujin View Drop Down
King
King
Sirdar Bahadur

Quote Temujin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Oct-2005 at 14:31

from the Romanian scenario i mentioned. on the first you can see the size of a medium map and the overall number of troops. the second two show the Hungarian Turan II battle tank and the Romanian T-60 self-propelled respectively.

Post Reply Post Reply