Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Where is the Body of Attila?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Janissary View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Janissary Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Where is the Body of Attila?
    Posted: 18-Oct-2005 at 17:50
???
vulkan02 View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Termythinator

Quote vulkan02 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Oct-2005 at 18:33
I don't think the Romans, Goths or his other dozens of enemies respected him enough to leave him rest in peace.
The beginning of a revolution is in reality the end of a belief - Le Bon
Destroy first and construction will look after itself - Mao
Janissary View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Janissary Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Oct-2005 at 18:37
Come on, I am not kidding
Heraclius View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Heraclius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Oct-2005 at 19:29

The location is a total secret, similar to that of the Mongols, the Huns atleast in this case executed the funeral party so they could never tell anybody the location of Attilas body.

A tomb now suffices him for whom the world was not enough.
Feramez View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Feramez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Oct-2005 at 19:30

The myth is that his men buried him right next to a river bed, and re directed the river, by digging, over his grave.  It's said his coffin is actually 3 in one, made of iron, silver and gold.  I think that's how it is, I may be wrong about a couple things, but if so, nothing major.  I forgot the name of the river, I'll find out though.

Feramez View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Feramez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Oct-2005 at 21:58

His funeral was a great ceremony held the next day. His body was put in a golden coffin. This coffin was placed into first a silver and then an iron case and was so buried.
Attila wanted to sleep without being disturbed by anybody. He had bequeathed so.

Therefore, the people who dug his grave and buried him were killed at that place by shooting with arrows. Then the riverbed of a nearby stream was changed. Water was made flow toward another direction, probably on the new bed over the grave. Thus, the final wish of the great conqueror was fulfilled.

Unfortunately, the location of his grave is still not known...

http://www.ozturkler.com/data_english/0004/0004_18.htm

Nevermind, I thought I read somewhere the name of the river, it was thought he was buried at.  But I guess I was wrong.

ok ge View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Quote ok ge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Oct-2005 at 00:52

Feramez,

I'm just curious to the physical look of Attila. Never seen a skitch of his face. Your link about Attila the Hun had this picture:

ATTILA.jpg (10359 bytes)

I find it little distorted from our expectation as his Hunnic origin. He looks here more like a Medditerranean or a European.  

Wikipedia has this more realistic description of his physical appearance:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Attila_the_Hun

The main source for information on Attila is Priscus, a historian who traveled with Maximin on an embassy from Theodosius II in 448. He describes the village the nomadic Huns had built and settled down in as the size of the great city with solid wooden walls. He described Attila himself as:

"short of stature, with a broad chest and a large head; his eyes were small, his beard thin and sprinkled with gray; and he had a flat nose and a swarthy complexion, showing the evidences of his origin."

Attila's physical appearance was probably most likely that of an Eastern Asian or Mongolian type, or perhaps a mixture of this type and the Turkic peoples of central Asia. Indeed, he probably exhibited the characteristic Eastern Asian facial features, which Europeans were not used to seeing, and so they often described him in harsh terms.

Atli.  From an illustration to the Poetic Edda.

Enlarge
Atli.
From an illustration to the Poetic Edda.

D.J. Kaufman
Wisdom is the reward for a lifetime of listening ... when youd have preferred to talk.
Feramez View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Feramez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Oct-2005 at 19:20
You're right about the picture, I'm positive he didn't look like that.  Every picture I've ever seen of him makes him look European.
minchickie View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote minchickie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Oct-2005 at 05:27
My guess is somewhere in Hungary!
Raider View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Raider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Oct-2005 at 05:39
Originally posted by Feramez

His funeral was a great ceremony held the next day. His body was put in a golden coffin. This coffin was placed into first a silver and then an iron case and was so buried.
Attila wanted to sleep without being disturbed by anybody. He had bequeathed so.

Therefore, the people who dug his grave and buried him were killed at that place by shooting with arrows. Then the riverbed of a nearby stream was changed. Water was made flow toward another direction, probably on the new bed over the grave. Thus, the final wish of the great conqueror was fulfilled.

Unfortunately, the location of his grave is still not known...

http://www.ozturkler.com/data_english/0004/0004_18.htm

Nevermind, I thought I read somewhere the name of the river, it was thought he was buried at.  But I guess I was wrong.

This is a widely known misbelief. The source mentioning this type of funeral refers to Alaric a Goth king. The similarity of the two names might be the cause of this. In my opinion he has no grave, because he was burnt by a funeral pyre.
Jhangora View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Jhangora Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Oct-2005 at 07:05
Originally posted by Heraclius

The location is a total secret, similar to that of the Mongols, the Huns atleast in this case executed the funeral party so they could never tell anybody the location of Attilas body.

But the guys who murdered the funeral party would know where he was buried or were they executed too.

Jai Badri Vishal
Priscus View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote Priscus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Nov-2005 at 21:32
emre View Drop Down
  Quote emre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Dec-2005 at 11:04

i think feramez is right about his tomb. because  after a perfect turanic leader dies, putting him in a golden and silver tomb is a tradition (like in the example of Genghis Khan) and after burying, the soldiers who bury kills each other....

rider View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote rider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Dec-2005 at 03:21
Oh, kill each other, they have developed. In the way that others kill the funeral party then others have to kill the others who killed the funeral party. SO on and all the army is killed down.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Jan-2006 at 17:16
Like Aleksander's the Great doom is still well kept in secret...
 Post Reply Post Reply