Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Slavic Warriors

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 111213
Author
knjaz View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Online Status: Offline
  Quote knjaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Slavic Warriors
    Posted: 19-Apr-2007 at 05:06
There is another interesting thing about warriors in those times in general: they didn't know uniforms, but their weaponry and armour represented their origin... That is sometimes a problem though. If a warrior saw an element of equiptment belonging to the other side, or perhaps a custom of his liking, he wanted it incorporated into his own equiptment... It's a rare phenomenon (correct me if I'm wrong), but it is now a matter of despute to whom this warrior belonged!LOL I read about the case of a helmet found in a grave of what should be a hun or a Slav...
BTW, can anyone explain to me what those stars below our names mean and how you get them?
Everyone has dreams, but only the boldest reach out to grab them.
Anton View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Anton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Apr-2007 at 07:12
Originally posted by knjaz

But I personaly think that there should be some more reserch done on that matter.

Definitely Smile
John Lenon View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote John Lenon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Apr-2007 at 10:25
Originally posted by Anton

I  would doubt about Daria
No doubt , Daria - name came  from Persian language (remember king Dari (us)  - meaning Winner). To Russian names list came as name of Christian saint martyr Daria (killed for Christian faith ir Rome)

It seems so. But again, where did it come from -- slavonic Borislav or Turkic Baris?
I think Boris is slavic name , because as I remember king/tzar Boris baptized Bulgaria in IX century. There were not big Turkish influence at that time ...

Where did you get this Sven from?
Sven , more correct Sveneld - war commandier (voevoda) of duke/knjaz Igor. Source "Povest vremennih let"

Otherwise I would ask you how did it happen that Odin has slavonic name "One" Wink 

LOLLOLClap COOL !

In my opinion , the Scandimavic influence in first  Russian state formation is very possible (~90%) ... norman theory is more clear and proven for me today....
For me it is more interesting how Slavic tribes could so quickly (from historical point of view)  adopt their neighbours (finno-ugoric tribes, some nomad tribes, Rus example, etc.) ? As we can see Slavic people looks very different based on place of their living (ex. Russians vs Serbs, etc.). I thnink that there could not be evolutional changes in genotype, but people just mixed with other nations. But in the most cases (i know only one exclusion - Slavs in Germany) other part of mixing processes became Slavinized.
Was it war skills, culture, religion, lage number of population or something else ?
I speak abpot  times before midle ages.

Edited by John Lenon - 19-Apr-2007 at 10:28
Anton View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Anton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Apr-2007 at 10:41
Originally posted by John Lenon

No doubt , Daria - name came  from Persian language (remember king Dari (us)  - meaning Winner). To Russian names list came as name of Christian saint martyr Daria (killed for Christian faith ir Rome)

We will never know I think. I find ethymology from word "darit' " (to make a present) more convincing than something else. As for your argument--we don't know really much names from the period prior to baptizing of Russia.

I think Boris is slavic name , because as I remember king/tzar Boris baptized Bulgaria in IX century. There were not big Turkish influence at that time ...
Well Boris is supposed to be Bulgar which means (according to official Bulgarian history) Turkic.  Turkists in this respect derive his name from Turkic Baris (as far as I remember). Both Bulgar states (Volga and Danube ones) have recorded Boris name.
knjaz View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote knjaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Apr-2007 at 04:56
About the name Boris: it is definateli from Slavic etimology. It comes from the oldslavonic word borbe=fight, meaning Boris=the one fighting. Similarly Bojan or Vojan from oldslavonic vojenje="making war", meaning Vojan or Bojan="the one of war". It is known, that slavic/venetian dukes often had a middlename Bojan (boj=fight), Vojan or eaven Bojeslav or Vojeslav ("fight, war glory")
(Source: "Etimologic dictionary of common and Oldslavonic words of Slavic languages", in Slovenian: "Etimoloki slovar skupnih in Staroslovanskih besed Slovanskih jezikov")
Note: The names also appear in Kavkasian and Sarmatian languages. They were probably used by Turks from there.

Edited by knjaz - 21-Apr-2007 at 04:58
Anton View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Anton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Apr-2007 at 17:49
Originally posted by knjaz

About the name Boris: it is definateli from Slavic etimology. It comes from the oldslavonic word borbe=fight, meaning Boris=the one fighting.
Note: The names also appear in Kavkasian and Sarmatian languages. They were probably used by Turks from there.

How can you then explain presence of  slavonic name in "Turkic" Bulgars (both Danubian and Volga) ones. As well as Sarmatians.
By the way name Baris is met in ibn Fadlan in form of Baris as Saklabi (Boris the slavonian) in as one of Bulgarian envoy.

Edited by Anton - 21-Apr-2007 at 17:58
NikeBG View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote NikeBG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Apr-2007 at 07:16
Anton, don't forget that Boris was sometimes also named as Bogoris, although that's most probably a later change of the name! ;)
And also it's still not completely sure if Ibn Fadlan's Sakaliba are Slavs or not.

Knjaz, although I strongly support what you say about the method of the crytical reading and analysis (I hope you truly do so), if you are to challenge such strongly-established "laws", you should do quite much better than this. First, I would advice you to be very careful with your language, manners and behaviour - I think I saw you used a few swear words, which is completely unacceptable and doesn't speak highly of you. Also, it would be good if you improve your English, since, let's admit it, when someone sees a text written in poor language and/or grammar, the common man automatically gives "black points" to the author of the written text. Third, most important - I see you've cited quite a lot of primary sources, which is great. However, I don't really think you've proven well enough the connection between the Veneti from the Ancient sources and the later Slavs. And, I repeat, if you are to challenge such a well established law, you should be really careful and nearly brilliant in defending your thesis. Because, as we know from many different examples, there were many cases when the name of one old nation was transferred to another by its neighbouring foreigners (and since we don't have much early Slavic written documents, we should rely almost entirely exactly on foreign accounts), f.e. the Bulgars have often been called Scythians or Moesians by the Byzantines, the Magyars - Turks etc. There are also cases when one nation used claims over older nations - f.e. during the times of Tsar Simeon the Great the name of Achiles` "Myrmidons" in the Illyad was replaced by "Bulgarians", something which later Tsar Kaloyan is supposed to have used as a counter-example of the claim of the Latin ("Frankish") knight Rennee de Tries (sorry, I'm not sure of the English spelling) that the Latin Empire is descendant of the ancient Trojans and they have returned to their father's land. So, what could be Veneti in the times of the Antiquity could easily be or not be Veneti in the Late Antiquity, Dark Ages and Early Middle Ages. I would be quite interested if you could post some more detailed arguments in favour of one or other thesis on this matter.
Athanasios View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Athanasios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Apr-2007 at 09:05
Originally posted by NikeBG

f.e. the Bulgars have often been called Scythians or Moesians by the Byzantines, the Magyars - Turks etc. There are also cases when one nation used claims over older nations - f.e. during the times of Tsar Simeon the Great the name of Achiles` "Myrmidons" in the Illyad was replaced by "Bulgarians.

Yeah, i'm a bit confused with this Byzantine "custom" of naming their neighbours with the same names through different periods.Scythes for example have changed at least 3 times place and civilisation through greek history. There were Scythes ,for example ,as natural in ancient Athens who used to be the executioners because no one else wanted to have a duty like this. Anyway there were some elements of Scythian warfare in ancient Thrace, especially the scythe weapon which could easily decapitate an oponent.
 As i know Skythes in early byzantine period were used in the campaings of Italy and north Africa and their homelands were in mid-west Anatolia and they were known for their brutal behaviour. 
About Myrmidones kingdom, i thought it was used to describe the Thessalian slavic people in general and probably that happened due to political expendiecies. Also i'm preety sure that Byzantines wanted to get rid of everything about their pagan ancient Greek past , so as for the names...

knjaz View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote knjaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Apr-2007 at 12:36

Sorry, NikeBG if my English isn't good enough, but I often write in haste and lack time to reread what I have written.

1. answer: Yes, NikeBG, I do use those methods, like I stated.
2. answer: What laws? Maby I haven't been clear enough, but all we can do about history is speculate!
3. answer: I think I elaborated on that matter: The Venetians were not "earlyer" or the Slavs "later"! Venetians, Venedians, etc. is just a name given to Slavs by foreighn nations f.e. Cezar, the Germanians, the Celts, though there was already then a difference between Slavs, Antians and Venetians, but they were (are) all Slavic nations. Simmilar example are the Greeks, where you have Spartians, Athenians, etc.
4. answer: Of course nations claim their names from older settlers, because the older nations didn't just disapear into thin air!LOL They mixed with the newcommers and formed new nations and through such mixing we got contemporary nations, if not otherwise it is prooven linguisticaly!

Sorry, I lack time now and still I am very bussy for the next few months, so I won't be able to elaborate on precise answers as you and Aelfgifu requested.

Regards to all! 

Anton View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Anton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Apr-2007 at 16:27
Originally posted by Athanasios

About Myrmidones kingdom, i thought it was used to describe the Thessalian slavic people in general and probably that happened due to political expendiecies. Also i'm preety sure that Byzantines wanted to get rid of everything about their pagan ancient Greek past , so as for the names...

Malala calls mirmydones Bulgars --

"...people called myrmidones at that time and now they are called Bulgarians".
Athanasios View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Athanasios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Apr-2007 at 21:25

Malala calls mirmydones Bulgars --

"...people called myrmidones at that time and now they are called Bulgarians".

Well Malalas is a byzantine chronographer, so he wrote whatever he was told to write. My personal opinion is that he is totaly unreliable source because his written chronicles as far as i know are rather amusing than scientific(yes, i know , we're talking about medieval era...)... Perhaps this was the impression which was given to the byzantines of the time :"...people called myrmidones at that time and now they are called Bulgarians"...Thanks for the info anyway...

Anton View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Anton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Apr-2007 at 03:27

Sure.

Aelfgifu View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Aelfgifu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Apr-2007 at 05:11
Originally posted by lollercoaster

Originally posted by Aelfgifu

Mainly a lot of archaeology, (neither the Scandinavians nor the Slavs wrote a lot at this time...) and some other sources like an Arab account of a visit to the lands. I caanot give you titles from the top of my head, but I can look that up for you if you like.

Please do.

PS. Oh please this is silly every one knows the world is flat.
http://www.alaska.net/~clund/e_djublonskopf/Flatearthsociety.htm

Well I went looking, sorry for the delay, I was felled by an infection in my jaw-hinge... It is amazing what pain does to your focus...Confused

Like I thought, the majority of the evidence is archaeological. There have been found such items (both practical and decorative) to make clear that the Scandinavians made up a very large portion of the ruling elite of the river-trading routes. Things found include jewellery like Thor's hammers, brooches, pendants, user tools like kinfe sheats, scabbards spearheads, iron shield bosses, smithy tools, swords, several remains of boats, and Old Norse runic inscriptions on wooden sticks. Another supporting element is the huge amount of Islamic, Byzantine and Ru coins found in Scandinavia itself.

Historical sources (written ones) do not occur until about the eleventh century. The main one is the Russian Primary Chronicle, written c. 1050-1120. It is very late and not very reliable. Its absolute historical value is limited, but it gives a fascinating insight in what eleventh and twelfth century Kievan rulers considered to be their own past... I have heard that the Kievan nobility still claimed their Scandinavian heritage in the twentieth century... fascinating, isnt it? But unfortunately that is speculation and not usable evidence....Wink

I have a nice quote here, from 'The Oxford Illustrated History of the Vikings' chapter 6 Scandinavians in European Russia:
The Scandinavian merchans who were active in European Russia should not be envisaged as law-abiding shop-keepers. They did not hesitate to use force and intimidation to interject themselves into local communities and compel the natives to provide the furs, slaves and other products they wanted. When the native elites refused to co-operate, the Scandinavians frequently destroyed them.

Edited by Aelfgifu - 23-Apr-2007 at 05:12

Women hold their councils of war in kitchens: the knives are there, and the cups of coffee, and the towels to dry the tears.
knjaz View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote knjaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Apr-2007 at 11:27

Ok, the last paragraph is byest to say the least... What, the natives just let the Vikings destroy them?Tongue There would be more Slavic remains by the riverbanks then... And not to mention, there would be very little if not none Slavs todayWink. It's just not logical if there was indeed destruction going on back than. As I wrote before: the remains only prove their presence and not that they rulled those lands. As for the coins: they could easily have (mostly) been brought to Scandinavia by rich merchants of the rising might of lands in the Mediteranean and middle east (Bysantine empire was - let's say - holding on at that time, due to constant Slavic attacks), that easily bought traiding licences from the southern cities that were like they put it "the gateway to the north", due to hard barging and high prices. The richer they were, the further north could they go (most coins are from the Middle east - correct me if I'm wrong).

Writings on wood could be taken as a proof of temporary presens of the Scandinavians. As we know, written texts were valuable at that time, especially in cultures that lacke pergament or other writing tools. The inscriptions were ment to "last forever" so they were written on stone. Writings on wood would suggest that the Scandinavians were there temporarily (buelt camps or simple settlements at most). If they would come there permanently, they would put some effort in it and brought a few stones with them (if they had to) and left more stone artefacts and immobillia...

About the cronicles (I'm going to write one of the proofs for the claim of existance of earlyer cronicles than Nestor's in abt. 1113). There are earlyer writings about Russia a bit fragmented though. I read it in a history publication of ours and latter checked it out in our national library. The writers were mostly from what is today north east Slovakia and south east Poland, but I specificaly remember that there were two from our lands: they were send there by an agreement between our princes and the princes of Russian lands. Sadly I don't remember the first oneEmbarrassed, but the second one was sent there by our prince Valuk in the 7th century named Gorazd. He spent there 25 years (or so), untill the grand prince had died, as an "independant observer" sent there by an agreement betwen our prince and the russian princes in despute for lands arround Novgorod at that time. His journy is also very precisely documented, making his cronicles a very precise and valuable description of nations he passed as well. I think there are a few things of his also in russian libraries, mostly neglected by western reserchers (as I noticed). Otherwise I totally agree with the other content of the paragraphClap.

I know I still owe you a lot, I'm putting it down in a notebook of my researches, so the other dilemmas you pointed out will not be forgotten...Big%20smile

I'm glad you're feeling better and if it still hurts (ben theere done that...), I wish you a fast recovery.Smile

Regards to all.

Edited by knjaz - 23-Apr-2007 at 11:35
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 111213