Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Shakespeare,anyone?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Dawn View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Dawn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Shakespeare,anyone?
    Posted: 14-Sep-2004 at 14:45
William Shakespeare, poet,actor ,play write. There is probably non so famous to the English speaking world as he. Whats the attraction, why after 500 years is his work still studied in high schools,are his plays still produced on stage and screen? Any thoughts?
Bryan View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote Bryan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Sep-2004 at 15:36
Well, I think it started with the Queen, and then it kept growing... I personally hate the man, but that's just me...
Cornellia View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Cornellia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Sep-2004 at 16:45
His plays are universal.....or the stories themselves are, even if the language is not.
Felix qui potuit rerum cognoscere causas
Bryan View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote Bryan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Sep-2004 at 19:41
His plays? It is to laugh! There was a girl at the library the other day who kept insisting that he was a "genius to have created Romeo and Juliet". I about slapped her!
Imperator Invictus View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Retired AE Administrator

Quote Imperator Invictus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Sep-2004 at 19:46
His plays? It is to laugh!

Lol yeah, he made some of the world's best loved comedies.
JanusRook View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Ad Maiorem Dei Gloriam

Quote JanusRook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Sep-2004 at 20:36

Shakespeare

They were all written by that other guy right? Bacon or something?

j/k Personally I've been thinking about making a movie of a midsummer nights dream, I just have to get the gumption to rework a script.

Economic Communist, Political Progressive, Social Conservative.

Unless otherwise noted source is wiki.
Tobodai View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Tobodai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Sep-2004 at 21:01
Definately over rated and boring me to death.  I think a large amount of the people who like it simply say so to avoid being labeled stupid. 
"the people are nothing but a great beast...
I have learned to hold popular opinion of no value."
-Alexander Hamilton
Cornellia View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Cornellia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Sep-2004 at 07:18

LOL...so true, the Taming of the Shrew is one of the funniest stories I've ever read.

Felix qui potuit rerum cognoscere causas
Landsknecht_Doppelsoldner View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Landsknecht_Doppelsoldner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Sep-2004 at 10:11

Originally posted by Dawn

William Shakespeare, poet,actor ,play write. There is probably non so famous to the English speaking world as he. Whats the attraction, why after 500 years is his work still studied in high schools,are his plays still produced on stage and screen? Any thoughts?

The timelessness of his tales have already been mentioned, but for folks like myself,  his various swordplay references are also intriguing.

Shakespeare lived at a time when there was a clash of "blade cultures", between the native English fighters who preferred the "short sword" (ie., the basket-hilted, cut-and-thrust broadsword and backsword) and the rapier (the Italian-style civilian spada used predominantly for thrusting).  Several Italian teachers established salles in London (Rocco Bonetti, Vincentio Saviolo, & Saviolo's assistant, Jeronimo), and their presence was resented by many provosts from the London Masters of Defence (the local fencing guild), as well as other Englishmen.

In any case, Shakespeare often makes interesting little references to fencing in his plays--like the one from "Romeo and Juliet" regarding the "passado" (It. passata soto), a sneaky and dramatic counteroffensive move which is still taught (though admittedly rarely used) in modern Italian fencing.

Edited by Landsknecht_Doppelsoldner
"Who despises me and my praiseworthy craft,

I'll hit on the head that it resounds in his heart."

--Augustin Staidt, of the Federfechter (German fencing guild)
Dawn View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Dawn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Sep-2004 at 16:41
Originally posted by Cornellia

LOL...so true, the Taming of the Shrew is one of the funniest stories I've ever read.

Athough not oftened talked about (always over shodowed by his tragedies) It is one of the funniest stories. It is so much better (like all his work) to be seen on stage rather than read though.

Evildoer View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Evildoer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Sep-2004 at 22:48

I once disliked Shakespeare, but his plays are indeed immortal. He was capable of capturing the humans' inner thinking as no other contemporary, or even a modern could do. Plus the literary quality is just stunning.

I don't just say this to make myself look intelligent Tobadai.

Mosquito View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Suspended

Quote Mosquito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Sep-2004 at 16:28

Well, personally i love his plays and even more i love some movies based on them. The top 2 are for me "Prosporo's books" with John Gielgud and "Titus Andronicus" with Anthony Hopkins. And both should be watched only on the big screen.

Actually those 2 movies are much better than the original plays.

Winterhaze13 View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Winterhaze13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Nov-2004 at 13:40
I like Shakespeare because I feel that he understood the human psyche better than any writer I have ever read.
vagabond View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote vagabond Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Nov-2004 at 04:39

Originally posted by Bryan

His plays? It is to laugh! There was a girl at the library the other day who kept insisting that he was a "genius to have created Romeo and Juliet". I about slapped her!

I'll agree that he didn't invent Romeo and Juliet - just as he didn't invent many of the stories that he told.  That illfated pair of saps stumbled around in literature long before old Bill the Bard decided to plug them into Montague and Capulet land.  Bill did, however, give them a distinct air - that "tragic, starcrossed lovers" thing ***swell violins*** - that almost (I said almost Bryan) universal appeal with which generations - from his time to ours - have identified. 

Identified strongly enough with, in fact, that film versions of the play are still hugely popular (IMDB lists 32 film versions) (including that awful 1996 Baz Luhrmann) - many were box office successes. This does not include things like Gangs of New York that rip off the parts of the story, and  West Side Story another spin off - and another monster success.  

Whether we see it as original or not - he did popularize the story so well that it has become identified with him.  It  has been told and retold for these four hundred or so years and still has not lost it's popular appeal. 

In the time of your life, live - so that in that wonderous time you shall not add to the misery and sorrow of the world, but shall smile to the infinite delight and mystery of it. (Saroyan)
taylor21 View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote taylor21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Jun-2005 at 12:07

Originally posted by Tobodai

Definately over rated and boring me to death.  I think a large amount of the people who like it simply say so to avoid being labeled stupid. 

I deffinetly agree

Taylor.K
 Post Reply Post Reply