Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Games for Mobile Phones

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Cywr View Drop Down
King
King
Retired AE Moderator

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Cywr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Games for Mobile Phones
    Posted: 19-Aug-2005 at 07:40
So, this is the latest obsession with mine, as mobile phone games are the ultimate time wasters.

Anyone else bother with them?
Any favourites? Recomendations? Free or premium?

I found a nice free Sudoku game which is good for the brain (if a little tough on the eyes ), and will look into getting a free version of chess and maybe tetris.
I've bought a few racing games, firstly two top-down ones (4x4 Extreme rally and Colin McRae 2004), which are actualy quite tough, as you need to get a minimum time to progress to the next stage, which is suprisingly hard. Control is tricky to get used too, but eventualy you get the hang of it, and find yourself needing a few tenths of a second less to move on. Tough games, frustrating perhaps, but at least you won't finish them too quickly.
The other racing game i got was Lotus Challange, its a more conventional style, where you simply steer the car from the right to the left of the screen as the course moves towards you as it were, same style as those old Outrun games on the Sega way back in the 80s, somewhat easier to play.
I'd recomend all three if you like racing games, though the two rally ones can be frustratingly difficult.

I got Anno 1503 on the cheap, now, i have the original PC game, and rather like it, but the mobile version doesn't do it any justice, it really is nothing like the original, andm frankly, its crap. The Pirate mode sure enough is ok, but it would have been better if it was a game unto itself with more details/options, the other two modes aer trader (at least a worthy challenge, but still a bit stale), and mayor (nonsensical crap).
Give this one a miss. (A pity, as the PC game ie rather enjoyable if you like the genre, the mobile version just tarnishes the name).

I got two pinball games, and, well, what can i say, they are pinball games, and i've aways had a soft spot for them. Not the most exciting pinball games available, but enjoyable none the less, and good considiering hte limitations a mobile phone would impose on them. Game play uses a screen that partly scrolls, partly 'jumps' to the top half, can be annoying, but you get used to it, the bummer is when you get multiball, as you can't see everything at once.
I got SpaceTaxi and IcyPinball, i'd recomend the latter over the former, as it has a few mini games within the main game.

Last but not least, i got Prince of Persia: Warrior within.
This is a very good game (going by mobile phone standards), good graphics, good gameplay, and the sound is good too (though i typicly play with it turned off, its essentialy just beeps after all, albeit much much better than most games offer), and quite addictive, i'm afraid i'll finish it too soon. Its already made me want to buy the first too.

Thats it for the time being, if anyone wants links to free games (albeit not the best ones out there), just ask, i've found out how to get good wallpapers dirt cheap, and an figureing out how to get tones cheap too (time to give Jamster the shove).

Arrrgh!!"
azimuth View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
SlaYer'S SlaYer

Quote azimuth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Aug-2005 at 06:54

my favorite mobile game was "snake"

now i continuesly play Backgammon II  its free and time waster lol

Cywr View Drop Down
King
King
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cywr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Aug-2005 at 09:09
Hmm, no-one is intrested save for Azi 

OK, heres some free goodies i've got....
-Java:
http://www.getjar.com/software - Has a selection of Java games and midlets, for a variety phone models, both free, and demo/limited trial. Download to PC or direct to phone via WAP. I got my Sudoku game from there, but they have other stuff too.
http://www.midlet.org/ - Small selection of Java games, download to PC only.
http://www.freemobilephonegames.co.uk/ - Some more free games, my phone model isn't listed so i havn't tried them, download to PC only.
Its all basic stuff though, not premium quality, but for standard time wasters, solitare, chess, checkers, and a few puzzles, its fine.

If you've got stuff on your PC you want to send to your phone, use Mobstorage. Upload as you would with say imageshack, and you'll be given an ID number, go to their WAp portal with your phone, enter the ID number, and you get your file, all for the cost of the WAP connection fo course, but no more than that.

-Wallpapers/pictures/logos(?):
http://www.pix2fone.com/ - This is all you need really, it is a small plugin for both Mozilla/Firefox or IE, that lets you right-click on an image and 'send-to-mobilephone', it lets you resize/reshape the image first if you so wish, or you can have it do it automaticly, and again, you are sent an ID number, and the rest is done via WAP portal (again, with only the cost of the WAP connection).
Google image search does the rest, right down to the already small thumbnails. Easy , effortless and virtualy free, get any pic you want, perfect.

-Ringtones:
I'm gonna crack this one soon, it will involve using a ringtone converter/maker (perferably a free one, or at least one that allows me to do the basics with a trail version); either Altavista Audio search, or something like http://www.ringbits.com (or the UK Version) and downloading previews; and of course mobstorage.

Really, the only thing you should have to pay for is the better quality games, and they do seem rather expensive, going from anywhere from 3 to 6 pounds in the UK
Whats more, my phone has the curse of many of NOKIA's newer phones, namely that of being an excellent (albeit slightly costly) phone with a substandard screen (128x128, 4k colours), so it seems all the more expensive.

Arrrgh!!"
azimuth View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
SlaYer'S SlaYer

Quote azimuth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Aug-2005 at 22:24

great sites thanx

its an obsession

Cywr View Drop Down
King
King
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cywr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Sep-2005 at 08:37
http://www.theunlocker.co.uk/mobile_phone_ringtones.php

Free midi files, a crap load of them, will work as they are on some phones, but there are plenty of free converters out there otherwise.
Same site has a ton of free (premium) games if you have a Nokia 3510i
Arrrgh!!"
Gharanai View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Afghan Empire

Quote Gharanai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Feb-2006 at 14:20

really informative, thanks for it.

Jay. View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Jay. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Feb-2006 at 21:05
I have the "Prince of persia" game on my cell. It's awesome
HOMERS HAND View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Quote HOMERS HAND Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Feb-2006 at 08:38
i always like splinter cell on the one im getting from my family.
HOMERS HAND View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Quote HOMERS HAND Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Feb-2006 at 11:59
im getting some new ones to nwn and need for speed most wanted.
 Post Reply Post Reply