Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Discovering Byzantium

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 8910
Author
Nurica View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Nurica Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Discovering Byzantium
    Posted: 31-May-2010 at 19:45
your will be done on earth as it is in heaven, body!
Pesto II View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote Pesto II Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Jul-2010 at 06:37
Hello all. In one of my many insomnia driven google searches involving byzantium I stumbled upon this forum and i knew i had to join the site as soon as i found this thread. My interest in the Empire sprouted from the Total War game series, specifically Rome Barbarian Invasion and Medieval II. After realizing that the East Roman faction in BI that took up nearly half the map and the Byzantine Empire in Medieval that took up a relatively tiny splotch of land in the balkans and western anatolia were one and the same I had to find out what had happend in the interim. I envy those of you who were introduced to the subject by your grandpappy taking you on their knee and regaling you with tales of the old country, but hey you take what you can get. Something i havnt seen mention yet as a good source of information is audio lecture series. The Teaching Company makes a good course on the Byzantine Empire called World of Byzantium given by professor Kenneth Harl who is a lot of fun to listen to.The only complaint I have on it is I think he spends too little time on the middle byzantine period. He also gives a good course on the Crusades giving equal coverage to latins greeks and muslims. For those of you who dont have $100 to kick out  for a course and are adversed to the piratic arts there is always Lars Brownworth's 12 byzantine emperors podcast series for free on itunes. In print you cant beat Norwich and Psellus.
The Holy Roman Empire was neither Holy, nor Roman,nor an Empire, nor the.
-John Hodgman
DreamWeaver View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Suspended

Quote DreamWeaver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Jul-2010 at 14:38
Norwich is very good, but he does have his flaws.
opuslola View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
suspended

Quote opuslola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Jul-2010 at 15:21
Looks like a good thread could develope here? But since I am devoid of these sources, it looks like I cannot be of much aid?

Regards,
http://www.quotationspage.com/subjects/history/
Pesto II View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote Pesto II Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Jul-2010 at 19:57
Perhaps i overstated my position on the two historians. Norwich is great for an intelligent and often entertaining read on empire although i would likely go elsewhere for essay citations. Psellus is just great because he is so sleazy and yet he is one of the only windows into the gap between Basil II and Manzikerk and so you are forced to sift through truth and lies to understand the downfall of a civilization that by all means should have been enjoying a golden age.
The Holy Roman Empire was neither Holy, nor Roman,nor an Empire, nor the.
-John Hodgman
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 8910