Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

the Berlin treaty

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
tzar View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Online Status: Offline
  Quote tzar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: the Berlin treaty
    Posted: 31-Jul-2005 at 05:57

Thanks to this treaty the balkans will be called some years later "powder- keg". This treaty limited the Russian influence in the Balkans, but made much stronger the English and Austrian! Some years later Bismark would say "the biggest my mistake was the Berlin treaty, that I didn't leave England and Russia to kill each other" Thanks to this treaty began 3 wars and 2 uprisings and the embers still smoulder!

What do you think? Did this treaty solve or only makes the problem deeper?

Everybody listen only this which understands.
gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote gcle2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Jul-2005 at 06:59

You mean the Treaty of Berlin was about the Balkans too?

Seriously, British teaching about the Treaty has I think traditionally concentrated on its effects on the colonisation of Africa, and the relationships between Russia, the Ottoman Empire, and Britain, in all of which it was on the whole beneficial (assuming you think the colonisation of Africa was beneficial. It certainly was reasonably peaceful from 1878 onward.). And Bismark was correct, it did stop Russia and England from possiby killing each other (it helped anyway). But from a Russian and English perspective that was a good thing.

It doesn't seem to me it made much difference one way or another to the situation in the Balkans. I don't even know if it could have.

pikeshot1600 View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote pikeshot1600 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Aug-2005 at 13:44

For once gcle and I agree.  The Berlin Treaty probably had no real effect on the course of events in the Balkans.

The continuing decay of Turkey-in-Europe invited other powers. .....Russia, Britain, Austria-Hungary....to assert the interests they saw as vital.  The clash of interests would have brought these powers into conflict at some time anyway.

I would favor looking at the Berlin Treaty as a continuation of the "system" put in place by the Great Powers at Vienna in 1815.  It may have acted to put off any reckoning by powers concerned with the Balkans, but as all thing do, the "system" died by August, 1914. 

Edited by pikeshot1600
Constantine XI View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Constantine XI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Aug-2005 at 12:15
One memorable quote by Bismarck: "if there is ever another war in Europe, it will be over some damned silly thing in the Balkans".

That comment more than any other is where the astute diplomat Bismarck was truly revealed itself.
pikeshot1600 View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote pikeshot1600 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Aug-2005 at 14:05
Another quote from Der Eisenkanzler:

"The Balkans are not worth the bones of a single Pomeranian grenadier."

The way WWI began shows how the policies and vital interests of an ally can draw one into a maelstrom where one's vital interests are not concerned.
the Bulgarian View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote the Bulgarian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Aug-2005 at 09:01
I'm not sure whether the Berlin treaty set the course of history for the entire Balcan region, but it sure set the course of history for the Bulgarian people and it took a turn for the worst.  150 000 Bulgarian soldiers and officers died fighting to reclaim what was stolen from us. This damn treaty doomed the Bulgarian people to more suffering and slavery. To this day the injustice hasn't been corrected.
 Post Reply Post Reply